Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 16:44   #46
BANNED

Red Liner - http://rto.kar.nic.in/default.htm

http://rto.kar.nic.in/list-procedures.htm

Procedure for Registration of new vehicle
Old 6th February 2009, 16:54   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Backseatdriver! I feel extremely well armed now!
Old 6th February 2009, 16:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

SB, this is great thread.
When I was hunting for a sedan in Feb, 2007, all the Ford and Hyundai dealers were charging Rs 2500 to 3000 approx for registration and number plate in Hyd.
When I bought my Fiesta, I refused to pay that amount and insisted on doing it on my own. I paid Rs 400 to the RTA for registration (including the card) and Rs 600 for a good, metallic number plate with embossed numbers (a cheaper plastic version would have been Rs 300 cheaper). The registration process took me only 30 minutes in all. I did not even have to pay the guy who scratched my VIN on a paper.
In the process, I saved Rs 1500. Cheers!
Old 6th February 2009, 17:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

That's an eye-opener Biju. Thanks for posting your experience.

Most of us trust the dealer and take the figures at face value.

This topic should help a lot of customers save an awful lot of dough.
Old 6th February 2009, 19:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Alright , I have been scouting the market for a new car and here is what I have received as a part of the price quote.

Margin Money == 70911 /-( have no clue what on sweet earth is this)
Road Tax == 100659 /- ( need to cross verify this with the RTO)
Registration == 6000 /-
Proc' Fee & == 3415 /-
Stamping

All this came through email , will be visiting the showroom sometime next week to clarify.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 6th February 2009 at 19:53.
Old 6th February 2009, 20:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Margin Money == 70911 /-( have no clue what on sweet earth is this)
Road Tax == 100659 /- ( need to cross verify this with the RTO)
Registration == 6000 /-
Proc' Fee & == 3415 /-
Stamping

All this came through email , will be visiting the showroom sometime next week to clarify.
margin money..tats new term to me..
road tax!! wow..what car are you buying.(it was 39700 for my fiesta 1.6 a month ago)
processing fee sounds true and viable.
Old 6th February 2009, 20:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Base lx scorpios roadtax apparently come to that much according to india garage.
Old 6th February 2009, 20:20   #53
BHPian

Margin money = Ex.showroom price - Loan amount

Say your Exshow room cost is 5,00,000 and your loan amount is 4,00,000 then the margin money = 5,00,000 - 4,00,000 = 1,00,000
Old 6th February 2009, 20:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Base lx scorpios roadtax apparently come to that much according to india garage.
The difference with the SLE is just about 8 grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Margin money = Ex.showroom price - Loan amount

Say your Exshow room cost is 5,00,000 and your loan amount is 4,00,000 then the margin money = 5,00,000 - 4,00,000 = 1,00,000
Thanks for that info. pal, however am in the process of collecting quotes from various banks and lets see who gives me the best deal .
Old 9th February 2009, 12:17   #55
BANNED

Friend gets to test drive ANHC. In the charges is mentioned Rs 6500 for registration and other charges.

I ask the agent, i dont want to do it through you. So 6500 less right?

He says no, you have to do it through us.

You have it in writing that i have to pay you for this and why?

No answer, i will ask my manager sir.

My friend then asks me - We dont have to do it through these guys. I said no. He runs a business of his own.

When i got the Bolero in 2004, the dealer - Vijai Auto had added Rs 3500 as registration charges. I said i will do it on my own. So he said he will deduct 2500 then. I asked why Rs 1000 - for Pooja and Number Plates was the answer. I told him i am an atheist and the number plates cut out with the help of a stencil and stuck on cheap plastic plates by the cute receptionist in her free time shouldnt cost so much. He deducted the 1K too.

He never liked me after that though.
Old 9th February 2009, 13:24   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I think what is paramount is we dig into every single paisa that the dealer quotes and ask them what this is going for. Thats the only way to hound out hidden/cheat costs.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Many thanks for the insight, Supreme Baleno. I will have this point added to the "How to buy a new car" Article.
Glad to be of help, GTO.

@kb100, I wanted to PM you the link to this thread to have your inputs on the insurance part. Looks like you anyway found your way here. Thanks for clarifying the insurance part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Yes.. Insurance is on the ex-showroom price of the car.
@kb100, what is the %age of ex-showroom price that is charged as the insurance premium ? I looked up my Baleno papers and see that it was 3.44% for the 1st year and has been 3.44% for renewal every subsequent year. Is this a correct value ?

I have this doubt because with the quotes I got at Kerala, it works out to 2.85% & 2.96% respectively for the Alto and M800. Different %age for different cars sounds odd to me.

And to add to the confusion, as per the T.Nadu quote it is 2.93% and 3.03% for the Alto & M800 respectively.

Would appreciate it if you could clarify this point. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
So go - get your quotes from the marketplace and take the cheapest quote back to the dealer - he will either match it, or try to frighten you with 'cash-less repairs' nonsense. Don't fall for it.
Yes, will go this route for the next purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
I have been scouting the market for a new car
Hmm. Is it a Safari ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
He never liked me after that though.
Not that it really matters much whether the dealer likes us or not.
Old 9th February 2009, 21:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

@kb100, what is the %age of ex-showroom price that is charged as the insurance premium ? I looked up my Baleno papers and see that it was 3.44% for the 1st year and has been 3.44% for renewal every subsequent year. Is this a correct value ?

I have this doubt because with the quotes I got at Kerala, it works out to 2.85% & 2.96% respectively for the Alto and M800. Different %age for different cars sounds odd to me.

And to add to the confusion, as per the T.Nadu quote it is 2.93% and 3.03% for the Alto & M800 respectively.

Would appreciate it if you could clarify this point. Thanks.
Insurance rates will vary from city to city, and car to car. (Depending on a few factors like the accident rate etc). They are in the process of profiling drivers etc.. so you will soon find a situation where the insurance will depend on the combination of the age and type and make of vehicle, drivers age and particulars, and the city of registration. (Like it does in developed markets like the US etc) In the US buying a sports car is easy - it is the insurance costs that can kill you ! ( if you are young, unmarried AND buy a sports car - then God help you!)

Last edited by kb100 : 9th February 2009 at 21:58.
Old 9th February 2009, 22:27   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Insurance rates will vary from city to city,

What?? Sure you are speaking of India?

Quote:
and car to car. (Depending on a few factors like the accident rate etc).
There are two components to an insurance - the part required by law - called third party and "paid driver" insurance. It is a few hundreds - a thousand and odd - for most cars. THe amounts si based on engine capacity.

The other component is based on the "IDV" - insured's (owner's) declared value. YOu can perfectly well ask for a 1 crore insurance on your ancient KB100. (Just example - do not take offence). But the law says that you will not be re-imbursed more than what that bike is worth to you. Unfortunately it is the law whcih decides what YOUR bike is worth to YOU. Even if you paid premium for 1 crore. This usually works out to a percentage of the original (invoice) price. So, the agent will make quote on the invoice price only.

But that said, no - it is just not city or vehicle based. For the time being.

I am subject to correction though - just post a link.

Edit:- the portion of insurance based on IDV (for own damages) has been de-regulated, so you are bound to get different quotes from different insurers. But I have no clue why you get different quotes from same insurer. Probably, different individuals have calculated the IDV differently?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th February 2009 at 22:29.
Old 10th February 2009, 10:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
What?? Sure you are speaking of India?
But that said, no - it is just not city or vehicle based. For the time being.
I am subject to correction though - just post a link.
kb100 does have a point about insurance depending on the place the vehicle is used. And yes, this is in India.

I remember having to fill up a form sometime ago while renewing insurance, in which there were questions asked about my age, educational qualification, city/town where the vehicle will be used and some other such questions. And based on the answers, they would come up with a rating which would be applied as a 'loading factor' on the base premium.

For eg, if the age is greater than 35 (IIRC), there would be no loading on that factor. However for people aged less than 35 years, a load would be applied. I guess this is because the assumption is that at 35 or later, you would be more mature in driving, less aggressive etc which means lesser chance of accidents. Ofcourse there will always be exceptions.

Similarly, if the vehicle is to be used in metros, a higher load would apply than say when it is used in a small town which has less traffic. And if you are a graduate or PG, you would get a favourable rating as compared to someone who is not a graduate. Don't remember the rest of the rating factors.

However, I noticed that the insurance company was not very transparent in applying this loading factor. Usually they would just apply the highest load on the premium, without getting the information from the client.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th February 2009 at 10:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks