922000 - ex-showroom price
131846 - road tax
True, you are being conned.

Quote:
6500 - registration and handling
Translation - bribe.

Quote:
26394 - insurance
Tell them that you will get your own. If you had another car, you can transfer "no claim bonus" to this vehicle. Search teh forum for details.

Quote:
3000 - mandatory kit (mud flaps)
Mandated by whom? And what are contents of the "kit"?? Most car dealerships give away the flaps for free.

Don't you hae another honda dealership in B'lore?

PS:- is this the one owned by the Kerala based auto group? The popular one?
Old 9th June 2009, 21:52   #77
ashwinpak

I checked the website of the other dealer. They too have exactly the same prices. They have renamed the "mandatory kit" as "accessories" here.
Whitefield Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
lol now this takes the cake >

The dealer is conning you for sure. Do check with another dealer before you make a decision.
edit: Maybe he is giving you Skoda mudflaps for that price

Old 26th September 2009, 19:55   #78

Fraudulent Practices Of Vehicle Dealers - Buyers Cheated Between Rs 5000 To Rs 15000

FRAUDULENT PRACTICES OF VEHICLE DEALERS
NEW CAR BUYERS SHORTCHANGED BETWEEN RS 5000 TO RS 15000

I would like to bring to your attention the fraudulent practice of all vehicle dealers across India in cheating new car buyers. All buyers of new vehicle across India are short changed between Rs 5000 to Rs 15000 towards registration expenses [which at best costs few hundreds] depending upon the vehicle model. Bunching registration expenses with the life tax and not providing a break up is a popular scam.

Most vehicle buyers in their enthusiasm fail to ask for a break up and are short changed by the dealers. I am writing this in the background of my latest experience with vehicle dealers.

Buyers beware, life tax is only 8% of the Ex-Showroom cost. All vehicle dealers provide an invoice that is consolidated bunching registration expenses with the life tax and they do not provide a break up. Registration expenditure should not be part of the invoice, and registration expenditure should at best work out to few hundred rupees and not several thousands.

Always ask for break ups, question all line items in the invoice. The proforma invoice at best should only contain Ex Showroom price, insurance and life tax. Other items are only optional.

Other items like extended warranty [it counts for nothing, please do not opt for extended warranty, the dealers never honour warranty programmes] and so called essential packs [which is nothing but inferior quality floor mats, dicky mats and mud flaps], which should be part of the standard offerings should be avoided by all vehicle buyers. The best quality accessories are available in the local markets at 50% of the dealership price

Please spread this message across all automotive forums to reach out to new vehicle buyers.

regards

KRISHNAN PS
CHENNAI

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th September 2009 at 20:18. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Thanks
Old 26th September 2009, 20:52   #79
BANNED

Yes i found out especially in chennai hyundai dealers are bundling the reg.exp. charge with lifetime tax. But in Bangalore they are giving break-ups in the price list.
Old 26th September 2009, 22:51   #80
Senior - BHPian

I got a detailed break up from Peninsular Honda before we even paid a rupee of the booking amount. *shrug* I guess "all dealers" don't cover all of them in reality.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:48   #81
Team-BHP Support

Yeah i also was charged 5000 Rs for registration, wonder what was that for, since i know that the "actual" charges are far less than that at RTO??

Imagine 50 cars sold in a week = 50*3000 (am giving 1500 for bribes etc apart from the estimated 500 RTO fee) = 150,000 so in 1 month = 600,000/- phew!

I think we should ask for the details split up of this "registration charges", which is apart from road tax.
Old 27th September 2009, 08:17   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

The actual charges at the RTO would be the Road Tax part. May be a thousand more for the license plate number.

While we could dispute that addnl 5k that they charge, they often list this as "Handling Charge". Explainations given include transportation of the car from the factory. And when they say "handling", it can mean anything - not necessarily only RTO.
Old 27th September 2009, 09:15   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yeah i also was charged 5000 Rs for registration, wonder what was that for, since i know that the "actual" charges are far less than that at RTO??
Jaggu, have you discovered a honest RTO?
Old 27th September 2009, 10:25   #84
BHPian

Dealers try to recover their "sales cost" (including all pre-sales efforts spanning TD, follow-up, visits) by charging a handling fee to the paying customers. When you pay a handling fee, you not only pay for your own "handling" but also share in the cost for handling all those who simply wasted dealer's time, energy and money by taking TD and making enquiries but not actually buying anything.

Most dealers are honest in adding this fee in a separate column so that the buyer is aware of this head. But to my surprize, I noticed that Toyota dealers in Bangalore are not as transparent - they include this cost under the overall RTO cost (Registration+Roadtax+handling) inflating the RTO head. I am refering to dealer's pre-sales price-list. I don't know what they do at the actual invoice level as I have not purchased a vehicle from them.
Old 27th September 2009, 22:20   #85
BHPian

Peninsular Honda ,Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I got a detailed break up from Peninsular Honda before we even paid a rupee of the booking amount. *shrug* I guess "all dealers" don't cover all of them in reality.

Peninsular Honda at Cochin and Trivandrum gave us a detailed break up for NHC and ANHC respectively before booking.They also ensured that I got the car(ANHC) before the price rise. I was a bit late in giving the booking amount still they had already ordered the car in my name !.

My friend who couldn't decide in time was too late.He wanted to give the booking amount for ANHC and insisted that he will take the car only if he could get the car in the old price.But they politely refused to take the booking amount because they didn't want to disappoint a prospective customer,since they couldn't be sure the car could be given with the old price.My friend actually appreciated the dealers stand.
Old 27th September 2009, 22:24   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Jaggu, have you discovered a honest RTO?
Thats why i gave them 1500 in my calculation, wonder where the rest goes? Its a scam and high time we noticed it.
Old 28th September 2009, 00:20   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskrishnan View Post
I would like to bring to your attention the fraudulent practice of all vehicle dealers across India in cheating new car buyers.
================
Please spread this message across all automotive forums to reach out to new vehicle buyers.

regards

KRISHNAN PS
CHENNAI
Thanks Krishnan.

But as a buyer I don't think I have an option but to pay whatever the showroom may ask in the name of registration. With the rampant corruption I somehow don't fancy myself visiting the RTO for getting the vehicle registered.

Or is there an alternative.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th September 2009 at 12:57. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post. Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 18:33   #88
BHPian

Dealership Charged Extra...Need advice on what to do

29th May 2011 I bought SX4 VDi from a newly opened dealership (will disclose the name of the dealership later) near my residence. When I took the quote the ex-showroom was Rs. 7,79,000\- on which 7% road tax and Rs. 200 for registration charges were calculated, so the total registration charges came to Rs. 54830. On the delivery day, the ex-showroom price was reduced to Rs. 7,56,000 (Rs.20000 loyality bonus + Rs.3700 other discounts). However on the invoice the registration amount was calculated on the original ex-showroom cost. The actual registration cost of the vehicle turned out to be Rs. 53120

I contacted the sales person the next day and explained him the issue, to which he readily agreed, since the difference was of just Rs.1700 I didnt followup everyday but would give him a call/SMS every 2-3 days. He told me that he is in the process of discussion with his seniors, and even asked me to drop an email to his manager (which I did). Yesterday he called me to inform that the general manager(sales) is not agreeing to refund the extra amount that they billed.

On top of this, being a brand new dealership the attitude of the high management there is very ignorant

What should be the suggested plan of action -

a. Escalate this to Maruti
b. Escalate to the dealership owner (I have his email address)
c. Send a notice from my lawyer
d. Lodge a consumer court case
e. Try explaining and convincing the GM about the mistake on their part

Point is not of Rs.1700 but is of charging an amount incorrectly and then not agreeing to refund
Old 14th June 2011, 18:45   #89
BHPian

Re: Dealership Charged Extra...Need advice on what to do

IMHO, you should try out the options A & B together initially. And in all probability, this will solve your problem.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:45   #90
BHPian

Re: Dealership Charged Extra...Need advice on what to do

Rajat as per my knowledge, the road tax & registration is calculated on the ex showroom price of the car, not the amount the dealer charges you. So, even if the dealer gives you the car free, you need to pay the taxes calculated on the ex-showroom price.

Therefore IMHO they did nothing wrong, but could have communicated this fact to you in a very legible manner. So I would not call them cheaters, but give them a big 0 on their communication skills.

Hope I have cleared your doubts.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 14th June 2011 at 18:47. Reason: reworded the answere

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks