Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 14:36   #1
BHPian

Attn Mercedes Benz Owners: Mumbai Service Recommendation

I am the original author of this thread, posted 6 months ago, when I was searching for a W124 purchase.

I'm happy to report that I found arguably one of the best W124s on the Market -An AMG edition (one of 2 imported) 1996 E220.

This thread is not about the car itself, but the best thing that came with the car - the service center.

Ahura Car Care, located at Byculla, is owned and operated by two Parsis - Firdaus and Cyrus (a labour manager and a master mechanic at United Motors). They have a list of famous clientel and are quite experienced with Mercedes. That being said, I've seen several Lexus, Infinity, Bently and BMWs at their workshop. Don't let the brands scare you. What typically costs 1.5 Lacs at the Bently dealer costs 40K with them. Same parts and quality. Less dishonesty, more transparency IF you ask for it.

Benz owners will be relieved to know that, even at their full corporate price, they are significantly cheaper than Sanghi or Autohangar. What's more, they present the option to repair vs. replace.

Know this: I've replaced a significant number of wear n tear items/ fluids on my W124 over the past 6 months. And I've probably spent less than most Skoda owners would have. All genuine OEM Benz parts.

If you're looking for a good place to give your Luxury car some attention Firdaus a call at 9821065206. Note, he doesn't attend to cars that cost < 25 Lacs typically.

Good luck and note that while I am his customer, I don't receive any commission or any renumeration for this recommendation. I just know that 6 months ago, I didn't have a service shop in mind that that was scary. Hopefully, this will help Team BHP!
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2009, 17:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

The other side of the coin :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
.....Don't let the brands scare you. What typically costs 1.5 Lacs at the Bently dealer costs 40K with them. Same parts and quality. Less dishonesty, more transparency IF you ask for it.....
All i can say is that we had sent our W123 there many years back.

It came back with the monogram stolen from the front of the car. Just a gaping hole where the three-pointed star emblem used to be.

We called them about it, they said our driver must have stolen it!!!!

We said there was no chance and that they need to replace it.
They finally agreed, and a couple of weeks later said they had the part.

We send the car, it comes back with a faulty part, the emblem does not stay straight ever. Always slightly to the side.

Thats my limited experience with them.
Though unfortunately i have also heard a few other people mention dishonesty/malpractice in the same breath as ahura.

cya
R
Old 9th February 2009, 17:40   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your recommendation couldn't have had a better time, Screwdriva! I am currently on the lookout for expert after-market service for the Merc, as Auto Hangar is working out too expensive on an out-of-warranty car. Thanks a ton for sharing this information.

EDIT : Just saw Rehaans post. Now need to do some more thinking

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2009 at 17:41.
Old 9th February 2009, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Hmmm

I'm a little surprised at Rehaan's post myself. I've always had the opposite experience with them. Rather than take anything from the car, they always throw in freebees and avoid unecessary charges.

I've even left my personal belongings in there with no issues. That being said, you should ALWAYS personally inspect your car before taking it from any workshop.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Screwdirva how about some pics of your car, never saw any w124 E220 AMG's in Mumbai and boy am I visilant how could I have me missed it. You are saying there are 2! So how about it?
Old 10th February 2009, 00:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

Let me just clarify that when i said "many years back" i meant MANY years back.

We are talking ~5+years back. I'm not sure if things have changed (but it is possible that over the years changes in management/workforce may have rectified these issues).

Just thought i'd bring the other side of the story to the table as well.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th February 2009 at 00:06.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:38   #7
BHPian

:)

Sure, I'll post images soon

Its the same car though. Just a bunch of cosmetic differences, with an engine that feels more powerful than any other W124 E220 I've driven. Couldn't find any information on anything done to the car mechanically though.

GTO, I'm going to take the car over to them soon. Let me know if you'd like to come with?
Old 11th February 2009, 15:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

scredriva how about them pics. First off, your car can't be an AMG addition as those were handbuilt at AMG with an larger displacement engine - E36 as in 3600 cc engine and not a E220. Yours may either be a showroom or after market fittment lets see the pics
Old 11th February 2009, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Screwdriva, you said:- "If you're looking for a good place to give your Luxury car some attention Firdaus a call at 9821065206. Note, he doesn't attend to cars that cost < 25 Lacs typically."

Why is this so?? and then how is he taking care of your car?
My experience has not been good with them. They seem to show that they know everything, but there is a gap between the cup and the lip.
If they have some exotics standing there for a while, there has to be a reason that they are not able to solve their problems! and I know of this.
A 124 is a Very Easy car to Handle, please note. Whilst the modern day Mercs are full of electronic confusions, which Firdaus or brother have not experienced in their United motor days!! They've messed up many cars I have known of. Will recheck with some people for the latest, since I always need Good caretakers for my cars.
There has been NO E220 AMG for sure. ONLY a AMG Bodykit on a E220 is very possible. And Every car drives and feels differently
Old 11th February 2009, 20:20   #10
BHPian

Whoa!

Typically, Benz's aren't available for < 25 Lacs. I've seen loads of Mercs and other equally (if not more) costly cars at their workshop. Sure, loads of times they'll admit that parts aren't easily available for the Bentlys, Infinity's and other cars not common in India. That being said, they'll openly admit when they can't get to the bottom of something.

Like I said, transparency has always been there when I've looked for it.

I'm fully aware of the E36 (driven one, loved it) and don't make any claims that my car is the same. I've got pedals, interior decals, door sills and a whole bunch of other cosmetic embelishments that set this W124 apart from every other one I've driven. That includes larger wheels (strangely original 16X8 Lorinsers), exhaust and different bumper treatment too. This car was never resold by a dealer since it was first bought so you may be right - this may be a spruced up dealer show off car.

I'm also aware of the relative ease of maintaining a W124. I won't say the same for the 210, 211 or any of the S Class cars they maintain. I've seen them come in, get fixed and leave.

I don't want this to become a war of experiences - I've had a relatively great time with them and they treat me well. If you haven't then I'd ignore this post. If, however, you read this and would like to try them out, I'd encourage it!

Pics coming soon
Old 12th February 2009, 11:31   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't want this to become a war of experiences
Of course not! As you rightly said, Scooby & Rehaan are only putting their experiences up. Every service center - even the best amongst them - will have a bunch of satisfied as well as disgruntled customers. Thanks for sharing a review of this place with us.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think I have seen your car is it white with a very large Ahura sticker on the rear windscreen (saw one with 16 inch lorinser/amg type design)?
Old 12th February 2009, 15:44   #13
BHPian

Yep

If it had a huge center star AMG grille, then thats the one. Where'd you see it?
Old 13th February 2009, 14:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

I saw it in union park khar/bandra (at the shatranj/union park/avabhai petit junction)from my terrace!! Some weeks/a month ago. Did not see the front but the drivers side and rear, the wheels caught my eye.

Not heard good things about your workshop guy though, bottom line a good workshop is one where folks are in it for passion of cars like some classic car restorers in Mumbai (where they make some money and are happy) the rest have to make money by the right or left hand unfortunatly your guy is more known to do it with his left there are others who do it with the right I prefer them

Word of advise I would stick to describing your car as a nicely accessorised E220 than an "AMG version" you could risk creating a different impression of you cheers.

Last edited by canonball : 13th February 2009 at 14:23.
Old 20th February 2009, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Small correction

What I should have said was that the stainless steel AMG decals in the car read "Special edition" and are signed.

Again, don't claim anything but what I see. It could verywell be dealer installed.

I'll post pics and you can draw your own conclusion Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks