Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 21:55   #136
BHPian

Re: Maruti service is cheap - A myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Engine Oil Additives,Engine Oil Flush must be struck off the list right away.
If you have a good computerised alignment / balancing center outside then i suggest you get it done from there! Otherwise get it done from MASS.
I had already committed so coudnt help it but next time on il be vigilant.
Quote:

Ask the SA to inject the fluid into his brain to clean the brain so that it can work properly! No additives are required! Only if you experiencing some problem with pick up or driveablity then you need to use that. And morover 600 for fuel additive is daylight robbery. You can buy a bottle of system g at much lower price and use it for a number of tank fulls
Old 16th December 2012, 15:21   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
I had already committed so coudnt help it but next time on il be vigilant.
Can you tell me the name of the SA there? I might know him.

PM me if you don't want to post it here..
Old 17th December 2012, 15:24   #138
BHPian

Got the 80 K kms service done for my Swift P at MASS, no other choice as the local garages are not even at that level in terms of worksmanship.

All fluids changed (engine oil, coolant, gearbox oil, brake oil), oil and fuel filter, air filter cleaned as am using after market kit, spark plugs changed.

Total came to around 12K which is inclusive of 2K for fog lamps, had to replace them. So if we take that out still its 10K with full synthetic oil(mobil 1) being used.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:57   #139
BHPian

10k for a petrol swift that has run 80k kms seems justifiable, provided that all the fluids and the spark plugs changed. If the same was a swift diesel, then the bill would have been 15k or even more than that as the servicing of the DDIS had never been that cheap. Maruti's reliability is no more that bullet proof as my DDIS creates several issues service after service. Not only me, but many other DDIS users are having the same situation.
Old 31st December 2012, 21:04   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Sent my sx4 for its annual service, and as it was four years old, my dad insisted changing every fluid as well as filter. Total cost came up to Rs. 5990 at a maruti dealer. I dont think it is that expensive, considering that my cousins polo costs 10k annually to service. Same with an i10 in the family, which costs roughly4k every six months. The service cost included:
  • Engine oil
  • Oil filter
  • Gear oil
  • Brake fluid
  • Air filter
  • Spark plugs
  • Air filter
  • Coolant
  • Brake and clutch bleeding

As per the bill, the break up was convincing. However, they seem to have charged extra labour for some things, apart from the service cost. So, taking that to be around 800, I feel that the cost is not so expensive for a sedan. Again, in the next two years, only engine oil and oil filter will be changed. Though the car has run only 22k kms till now, we have been servicing the car as per the time intervals.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 17:35   #141
BHPian

Which are the trusted service centers around Marathahalli? My Esteem is due for its 60k service. I have seen RKS near Belandur and Bimal in Mahadevpur. Any reviews on them? Any other center I should check out. I am also ok with Multi Brand workshops, if they come highly recommended.

Suspension overhaul is something I want them to do apart from the general service.

PS: I am new to Bangalore and might not know all the areas. I live close to Marathahalli bridge.

I did come across a thread on this topic (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bangalore.html), however, it was last updated in 2009.

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 20th January 2013 at 17:39.
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:55   #142
BHPian

^^ typo in my above post. It's Pratham and not RKS. Gave my car to them for it's 60k service.

Hope to get it back Tom evening.

MaSh
Old 27th January 2013, 19:46   #143
BHPian

Hello,
though the poll gave us only 2 options, i just want to add my observations
I find that the spares are not that costly compared to the competition, by which i mean a Hyundai or VW
I am noticing that the labour is becoming too costly,
I own a petrol swift and recently i got my fourth servicing (paid) done, my swift is a pre facelift model and runs on mineral oil and hence including oil change the cost comes to around 4k, without oil change it comes to around 2100 but the point is that cost consumed by spares and other consumables is barely around 500 Rs, everything else is labor
For eg air vent cleaning - 400
car wash - 400
Some other check n repair - 800
and so on

Hence i think the costly labor is making the service costlier
And we must accept one fact, as the km clocked on the car increase over years the parts to be replaced will also keep coming up, but what maruti says is that their cost of genuine spares is still cheaper, but what they are overlooking that in process of good service the cost of labor has overshot

Last edited by shridhar.s.i : 27th January 2013 at 19:48.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree to the point that the spares and service is getting expensive.

I had my Wagon R CNG serviced for 20K yesterday(Yeah, 20K and it seemed just yesterday that I had the baby delivered to me, decked in chinese ribbons on 3rd Mar 2012).

Initially, I was shocked to see a quote of Rs. 9300+ for the service.

The break up is as below(all figures rounded off):

1) Paid Service - 1100
2) Engine Oil(Castrol)-2.9 lts - 850
3) Brake Oil(Shell)-2.5 lts - 850
4) Gear Oil-250 ml - 250
5) CNG Filter - 1200
6) Air Filter - 200
7) Wheel Bal/Alignmnt - 750
8) Wheel Weights - 200(approx)
9) Throttle Body Clean - 1200+ 300 (labour)
10) Injector Cleaning - 750
11) Brake Cleaning - 900
12) Coolant - 600
13) Misc.

Total------------------------ Rs. 9350/-

Service TAxes @ 12.36%.

I started playing the editor after seeing this astronomical figure:

1) No throttle body cleaning required.
2) Said no to Injector cleaning. Vehicle is too young for that.
3) Brakes are fine. Thank you. Will give them a facial later.

Doors were all rattles. So paid for the padding and clips. Rs. 200/-.
The screen washer was put. No complaints.

After all the deductions along with a complimentary RS. 500/- service voucher, my bill came to Rs. 5891/-(including Taxes).

My question:

1) Why do these SA's insist on Throttle Body and injector cleaning every single time??
Infact, my SA was blatant enough to tell me that if I dont comply with TB and
Injector cleaning, I may lose my warranty. Just told him to FO, and give that crap
some where else.

2) What exactly do they do in TB and Injector cleaning. What is the service duration/kms where in the same is required?

My observation:

Nowadays, the A.S.S executives have invented new terms to fleece. This fancy dialects will floor the not so well heeled consumers in parting with hard earned money.

You just need to be very very careful in what actually needs to be done.

Last edited by arnabchak : 11th March 2013 at 16:53.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 17:49   #145
BHPian

The next they will come up with an AC servicing = 4000 approx, followed by the suspension check. They might then also point at some play in the clutch plate, followed by something in the drive rod. Am not even sure if they actually clean the injectors. They also refer to the engine flushing (after an oil change). The brake cleaning job lasts not more than a day and then we are back to square one.
Old 11th March 2013, 18:53   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
7) Wheel Bal/Alignmnt - 750
8) Wheel Weights - 200(approx)
I am sure non OEM ones do equally good, charging less. From what I heard from SA, these do not count on warranty anyways, so why spend at MASS?

Quote:
1) Why do these SA's insist on Throttle Body and injector cleaning every single time??

2) What exactly do they do in TB and Injector cleaning. What is the service duration/kms where in the same is required?
My reasoning: Simple, you can't check it; you can't even see if they have done it! So, why not charge if the customer is willing / doesn't care?

Quote:

My observation:

Nowadays, the A.S.S executives have invented new terms to fleece. This fancy dialects will floor the not so well heeled consumers in parting with hard earned money.

You just need to be very very careful in what actually needs to be done.
Absolutely. Last time I saw a gentleman agreeing to put 3M polish (whatever it is) AND Teflon coating on his 3 years old Swift (Advisor said he is good to do these to remove scratches periodically !

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 11th March 2013 at 18:55.
Old 11th March 2013, 19:39   #147
Senior - BHPian

All this makes me wonder whether we can make a list of must-do items for 10k, 20k, 30k and so services for petrol and diesel; in similar lines to the running-in suggestions; a generalized maintenance schedule. Need not be manufacturer specific, but to have a general idea. For example, normally how long does a spark plug last, the tires and the brake pads, the filters and so on. And may be the cost for the same.

Though most of the information is available spread across the forum, some experts keen researching on maintenance could collate the info and start off a thread. And also things that are good-to-do can also be included separately. Further posts could also discuss manufacturer specific intervals.

For instance, our family have been running on petrol all this time and we got a new turbo diesel. We are unsure of the things that are on the routine schedule for a diesel motor. Somewhere I have read about EGR cleaning, but not the details and the usual interval. And one thing I know is that there is no spark plug for the diesel; so it is injector cleaning. And the interval?
Old 11th March 2013, 21:48   #148
BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree to the point that the spares and service is getting expensive...
Buddy could you please elaborate on "CNG Filter".Even i have a CNG Santro, but never heard of anything like CNG Filter.

I always get my service done from aftermarket workshops.

Thanks

Amit

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th March 2013 at 19:39.
Old 12th March 2013, 19:03   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Buddy could you please elaborate on "CNG Filter".Even i have a CNG Santro, but never heard of anything like CNG Filter.

I always get my service done from aftermarket workshops.

Thanks

Amit

@ Amit

Even I was zapped at CNG Filter. I too am aware of only the normal filter.

On enquiring, he said that it is a sort of disposable filter fitted along with the factory fitted kit to ensure that CNG does not have any inpurities

Anyways, since the car is new and didnt want to take a chance, went ahead with the change. I may be a fooled but I bit the bait
Old 13th March 2013, 12:16   #150
BHPian

Need Help!

My swift dzire ZDI has clocked 30000 KMS and i took her for service to MSM, Guindy, Chennai. I was shocked to get a quote of 7500 + taxes! I do not remember the replacement/cleaning list, but it included EGR valve cleaning - 3500 Rs just for that (conversation happened over phone). I asked him to wait till i do some research. A couple of minutes later a marketing guy from MSM called me and was nearly forcing me to take the annual service contract. He suggested a silver plus plan for 10,000 Rs, so that i get parts free for service during next 10000 KMS (labour has to be paid) and some free water wash and junk. I think they are just bumping up service prices so that customers see value in their useless annual contract packages and fall for it.

So i asked him not to open up and I took her back to Vishnu service center near my home.

This is the break up
General service charge: 1150 . Some 12 point check up. Is this usual across all service stations?
Brake cleaning: 850. He insists that maruti has advised them to do this every 5000 KMS even though the manual does not recommend. Is this true?
Engine Oil (Mineral) + Filter: 1350
A/C Vent cleaning: 650. For vent cleaning, why am i charged 650 Rs?
Misc: 150

Total: 4100 + 12.3% tax. This is without EGR cleaning. Though maruti recommends EGR cleaning at 30 and 60 K service, i was ready to delay that since nothing seemed unusual with the smoke and i didn't want to disturb that.

Now he says that he wants to re-calibrate the injectors and will cost some 1500 Rs more. I just did a quick check up here in the long term DDiS reports and none of them seem to have done a re-calibration during their service. So i asked him not to do it. Is this something that has to be done at 30K service?

Gone are the days, where you buy a maruti and stay in peace. Now i have to cross check every item the SA says to make sure if they are not looting me! Where is peace of mind in this?
pedalpoint is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks