Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2013, 07:32   #331
BHPian

^^^Shell HX7 comes in a 3.5 litre can and I was charged for it though the oil was filled and checked for the right level. The rest of the oil in the can is with me. Raghav is one of the most knowledgeable mechanics around in Chennai and Ignite is not the run of the mill garages.
The oil filter cost is on par with what MSM charged me last time.
Old 21st December 2013, 17:56   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Well let me share my experience over here. Its 70% positive and 30% negative.

We picked up an Alto K10 on 29th November 2013 and till date the car has done 723kms. Yesterday i got a call from my dealer (Bhandari Automobiles Howrah) that my car is due for its 1st service and they can send a mobile car service to my home to get the servicing done at my home at rs 120. They told its a new service which they have initialized. I asked then how will they clean the interiors and the under carriage of my car. The answer was : there service vehicle will be equipped with all those facility for power wash and air for cleaning the interiors. For the undercarriage wash they will provide me a coupon by using that within the next two months i can get a free full car washing at there service center. Then i told my 1st service is due on 28th Dec and car has done 723 kms so it will be early to do it and she replied it's fine , it wont be an issue. Well it sounds good! So i approved them to visit my home at 3pm for the service. As, if i take my car to the service center atleast it will consume fuel for rs200!

Today around 3-30 pm i got a call from the service guys asking about the landmark for my home and i helped them with that and in next 10 minutes they reached. Its a Red Maruti Eco equipped with all kind of servicing tools. It looks good. The guys were efficient and did a neat job cleaning the exterior and the interior of the car. Later opened the bonnet and and pored a little bit of distilled water in the coolant chamber and the battery. I asked coolant level is okay so why are they poring the distil water and there reply was they keep the coolant level a tad over the full marking. I didn't object them but couldn't find a proper logic for that. They cleaned the air filter, checked the engine oil level and adjusted the clutch cable too. Over all i was happy with the work done.

While working i asked do they do the servicing for 10,000kms too at home which includes oil change and oil filter and there answer was yes. Plus if i ask they will come and fit accessories too. Well this really sounds good.

Later i got an important call and i had to go so my dad came up and he did the payments. Later i came back and saw the bill and its written rs 185. 170 for washing and rs 15 for the distill water! I asked my dad how much did he pay and he told rs200. Rs 185 for the bill and rs 15 to the guy who cleaned the car. Owners manual was stamped and a coupon for free wash was given. I immediately called up the call center lady and asked her why she told me the cost will be rs 120 where as i had to pay rs 185?And why do i have to pay rs 15 for a 3weeks old car for the distill water? Though the amount is very low but still they have to stick on what they said. The lady told me she will look into the matter and call me back in 10 minutes. With in 10 minutes i got a cal from the service agent who came for the service and told its there mistake, and they are around 5kms away from our home, but if i say they will return back and refund me the extra amount. Well that was a good gesture from them and i later thought not to trouble them for rs50. So just told them to be careful from the next time and they don't have to refund the amount.

Attaching few pics of the equipped Maruti Eco which came for the servicing.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-img_1113.jpg
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-img_1115.jpg
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-img_1114.jpg
Old 21st December 2013, 18:13   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Why the engine oil & filter were not changed in the first service?
Old 21st December 2013, 18:18   #334
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Engine oil, oil filter and air filter are changed only at the 10k servicing.

Anurag.
Old 21st December 2013, 18:19   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
For the K series engines, oil change interval is every 10,000kms. So 1st oil change is at 10,000kms. The same is mentioned in the owners manual too.

Edit: Me and Anurag replied at the same time!

Last edited by Samba : 21st December 2013 at 18:21.
Old 21st December 2013, 18:46   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Well let me share my experience over here. Its 70% positive and 30% negative.

how much did he pay and he told rs200. Rs 185 for the bill and rs 15 to the
Attaching few pics of the equipped Maruti Eco which came for the servicing.

Attachment 1181085
Attachment 1181086
Attachment 1181087
I saw a similar Eeco in the apartmwnt next to ours and I thought this was a detailing company when I saw the car with two water hoses washing a swift. Good initiative.

Regarding the bill, I thought I was picky about the minor charges and you seem to give me competition

I usually pay the driver 50-100 depending upon the note in purse when he comes to pick my car for service or rather when he drops it in the evening. I wouldnt mind tipping these chaps, but greatly bother paying their bills
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 19:07   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Regarding the bill, I thought I was picky about the minor charges and you seem to give me competition

I usually pay the driver 50-100 depending upon the note in purse when he comes to pick my car for service or rather when he drops it in the evening. I wouldnt mind tipping these chaps, but greatly bother paying their bills
Yes exactly,even i don't mind tipping these guys who do the job. If they would have asked me for rs 50 extra i would have happily given them but what i really hate is getting cheated by some one. However small may be the amount it feels bad. Above all it was done by the service executive who is supposed to be the most educated one among them. When they admitted there mistake it was okay for me so i told them to keep the money and no need to return it.
Old 22nd December 2013, 23:19   #338
BHPian

OK people

Just had the 19000 km service for A-Star Automatic. And I got a kick of nearly 22,000 quid!

8316 rs service,

7703 rs for next year insurance (should have waited till 23 Jan 2014 for credit card cycle to rotate as new insurance will kick in on 27 Jan 2014)

5905 rs for 4 year extended warranty!

Going through this thread, I have found that a number of things that were done were not needed at all. Can you please go through this bill breakup and tell me where did I get ripped off and which should I avoid in next service:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts Price (Without Taxes)

Gasket- 3.56
Plug, Oil Drain - 49.78
Element, Air Cleaner - 155.56
Filter Assembly, Oil - 80.00
Distilled Water - 26.66
Glass Run Channel Spray - 250.67
Coolant (SG) Non Amine - 208.89
Brake Fluid, GE1500AA 250 ML pack - 129.17
Grease Satchet, FR calliper, sliding PI, - 23.12
Screen wash concentrate, 50 ml - 26.66
Super Cleaner 480 ml. - 180.00
Synthetic Oil (0W-40) Mobil1 - 2960.41

Total ------------------------------------4094.48
VAT ------------(@12.5%)------------- 125.61
VAT ------------(@20%)------------- 617.91

Labour Charges

Paid Service Labour Charge - 1275.00
Fuel Injector Assembly (All) R&R 525.00
Throttle Body Assy/OR Gasket R&R 595.00
Disk Brake Cleaning 700.00

Total ------------------------------------3095.00

Service tax (@12%) ---------------- 371.40
EDUcation etc Cess------------------ 11.14

Total for parts and taxes 4838.00
Total for service and labour 3470.54

Grand Total ---------------------------- 8316.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tell me now:

1- What did I pay for without need eg fuel injector cleaning etc?
2 - Which of these should I strike off in 30000 km service?
3- What else will the geniuses @ Maruti will try to sell me in 30,000 km service which I will have to dodge?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from these I got necessaries like:

Insurance for Jan 27, 2014 to Jan 26, 2015 (with 3.15 lakhs IDV, NCB 20%)- 7703 rs.
Extended warranty for 4th year - 5905 rs. ( I had taken 3 year Ext War when I got the car so decided that should get the entire cover hopefully from Jan 2014 onwards the car will be running at more than 2000 kms per month - on petrol . Checked with Rana Motors and they are saying 58,000 for CNG kit, it will not void my warranty, but the CNG man said that he will first check Maruti as mine will be first AStar AT to go CNG )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:20   #339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
Glass Run Channel Spray - 250.67
Not needed! Please avoid from here on.

Quote:
Super Cleaner 480 ml. - 180.00
Not needed! Please avoid from here on.

Quote:
Synthetic Oil (0W-40) Mobil1 - 2960.41
Have you asked for synthetic oil or they filled it by themselves? I feel mineral oil with an interval of 5K kms sounds better then using Synthetic. The 3K in the 20K bill is the synthetic oil. It is your take whether you want synthetic oil in your car or no!

Quote:
Fuel Injector Assembly (All) R&R 525.00
Be careful as the next service at 30K kms they will do this. Please avoid, the frequency for cleaning is 50K AFAIK.

Quote:
Disk Brake Cleaning 700.00
Only the disc brakes were cleaned? What about drum brakes? Brakes overhaul is every 20K along with brakes fluid change.

Quote:
Fuel injector cleaning, brakes cleaning, all that cleaner and sprays for glass etc, wheel alignment + balancing + rotation (Get these 3 things done outside)

Quote:
3- What else will the geniuses @ Maruti will try to sell me in 30,000 km service which I will have to dodge?
Engine decarbonizing, fuel injector calibrations, Engine flushing - Please AVOID.

OT: If budget permits then why don't you buy a diesel car (Beat/Figo/Ritz) instead is driving 2000 kms a month on a Petrol AT?!

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd December 2013 at 09:24.
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:36   #340
BHPian

Quote:
What did I pay for without need eg fuel injector cleaning etc?
3- What else will the geniuses @
I am sorry to say but you have been taken for a royal ride!
1- For point one, even if they had done the injector cleaning job, then also their was no NEED for injector remove and refit! It is done via liquid cleaner mixed with fuels and their seals are also not changed unless leaking, I would say you should get a clarification from them as for the reason behind it,
2- throttle body cleaning was also not required until and unless you have complained about it,
3- And in the last break check up should have been done in service only!
My advice- before giving the car, one should specifically ask for the jobs being done and write off the unnecessary ones, also go through the manual that what need to be done at the given intervals.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 23rd December 2013 at 09:38.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:49   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK people

[b][i]1- What did I pay for without need eg fuel injector cleaning etc?
3- What else will the geniuses @ Maruti will try to sell me in 30,000 km service which ---
Your Rip-off score stands at 2k rupees worth of Labour and some 300 bucks worth of consumables. In case you didnt opt for synthetic oil, then the score will double to 4k rupees.

See, there is a complete package called "Paid service" and as long as you dont have any extra problems with the car, they can't charge you with labour.

In the same way you shouldnt opt for injector cleaning or throttle body cleaning even if the SA tells that your engine will blow up if you dont. Suppose you have any problem with the perfornance of the engine, etc then its advused to be done. Not as a part of routine service. Its not needed.

In your next service you have to make it a strict point to pay only labour for paid service and engine oil. If they charge anything other than small items, you will have to take them to task.

Imagine charging 275 bucks to grease the caliper pins Its a job that is included in the 200 bucks my FNG charges for brake cleaning and that is done without me asking them to grease the caliper.

Anyways today my Sx4 will be serviced by a FNG who stays around the corner. Nothing major to be sorted out. Just an oil change, and the usual cleaning. If things go well then my cars wont visit the ASC in the future for routine maintenance. I will be getting MGO and MGP oil filter from an MGP outlet and the garage guy is flocked by all kinds of cars from jeeps to D segment beasts.
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:01   #342
BHPian

Re: Clutch O/H for 2004 WagonR

Got my car serviced at MASS and the SA told me that my car's clutch needs replacement. The car in question is a 2004 WagonR which has run only 44K KMs.

The SA did the handbrake test, i.e he pulled the handbrake up and tried to move the car in 3rd gear and the car didn't stalled and I can also feel that pick up has dropped considerably even after getting a complete servicing done and all filters replaced (I rejected the Throttle body and injector cleaning though).
He said that the clutch can give up anytime. Since the car is used by my parents I have decided to get the clutch replaced by the coming weekend.

Please see the estimate for the same and advice whether the rates indicated are reasonable or not.

Clutch Plate: 1200/-
Pressure Plate: 1000/-
Clutch Bearing: 600/-
Flywheel: 800/-
Flywheel bearing: 150/-
Clutch cable: 250/-
Labour: 1300/-

Last edited by Sherlocked : 23rd December 2013 at 21:12.
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:24   #343
Senior - BHPian

I asked my friend about this Maruti service being cheap as he owned an Esteem, Baleno, Gypsy and now a Dzire. His point was this,
1. Once the warranty period is over, he never visits the MASS.
2. MGP parts easily available outside and there are many private service garages where we can service our maruti vehicles. So service becomes cheaper while servicing outside as we save much on labor ,VAT and ST etc.
3. We can also get Non-MGP which is much cheaper , and ofcourse the parts quality and life is less , but the service costs ends cheaper.

To understand this , i would like to go a little off-topic about my Hyundai elantra repair service :
Cost of suspension repair - Studs for front and rear, Lower arm for front , Tie rod end, Stabilizer rod end estimate was given for 48000 by Hyundai ASS.

I purchased(with the help of the friend mentioned above) original aftermarket parts with warranty (TRW, Formpart ) and the actuals came to 18000 incl labour (fitted at Hyundai A.S.S itself . A big save of 30000 for not purchasing the parts from the hyundai A.S.S. He says its similar for Maruti too. MASS are charging more for parts nowadays and their labor rates have also increased.

4. Only for major repairs like engine , turbo etc should be dealt by the company A.S.S.

5.The only drawback is that the service history wont be available at the MASS when he tries to sell his car.
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:34   #344
BHPian

Before I type any reply to any of your queries I have had bad experiences with Honda Activa Authorsed service station Rohini Honda. In 22,000 km the scooter engine seized! This despite every service being from same Honda Service Center and every service as per schedule. Around 2 months back, the engine of same scooter started making sad noises so I took them to Rohini Honda, (same Honda service station) and they said considerable engine work is to be done including cylinder replacement and many other thing. Total bill was around 9000 of which I had to pay 1100 and rest was in Ext War.

Frankly any such stupidity with car will be proportionally expensive and will hit my budget just too much, so I tend to stick to Authorised service stations and Extended warranties.

@ Anurag
I did ask for Synthetic Oil. I had read through the Synthetic vs Mineral Oil thread and decided that SO is better for me.

Those idiots put in DOT3 brake fluid, they said DOT 4 is not in stock. Wont take the Bosch DOT4 I gave them. But I will keep the DOT 4 with me as I expect frequent hill drives in 2014 onwards.

About At/Diesel The matter is not just of budget but more of choice. There is no Diesel AT in <7lakh, (No Grand i10 Diesel :( . I am stoic about driving AT, because with bumper to bumper traffic in NCR, I prefer to have comfortable legs.

Besides I know how to have fun in AT car, I even toasted an i20 in your standard quarter mile drag race by controlled shifts. (A-Star AT allows you to hold gears and is very sensitive to kick downs and the other driver was a bit of an airhead.)

@ EFF-EIGHT-BEE

I did get my brake pads changed @ 13000 km, it is an AT, so i think the brake fluid part was fine but other check things was useless.

I did ask them what they are doing before they started! I knocked off the body paint acrylic coating thing as it was costing 3000 Rs. Was not aware of this stuff injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning or i would have chopped off that too!

@ audioholic
Yes I did opt for Synthetic Oil so around 2500 rs ripoff score.

About what to chop off in next service, totally agreed my friend, in 30000 km service only engine oil and labour, no other claptrap.

@ Undead,

Same here man. Once my 80,000 km Ext War is over, I am out of Maruti service system.

Last edited by Mohitkumaar : 23rd December 2013 at 22:40.
Old 24th December 2013, 15:48   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Clutch O/H for 2004 WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Please see the estimate for the same and advice whether the rates indicated are reasonable or not.

Clutch Plate: 1200/-
Pressure Plate: 1000/-
Clutch Bearing: 600/-
Flywheel: 800/-
Flywheel bearing: 150/-
Clutch cable: 250/-
Labour: 1300/-
The rates are absolutely fine. I am sure they will charge you for the parts as per MRP on the Genuine Part(s). So nothing to worry there. In fact the labor is also very reasonably charged for the clutch job.

For the F10D Model, I would insist if you can check with them to install Ceekay instead of VALEO. Normally, you get 2 options to replace the OE clutch when it comes to the F10D. So see if you can get Ceekay and if not, you are still good with VALEO too.

Personally, I have found Ceekay doing a better job than the VALEO.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks