Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 15:06   #406
gemi_kk

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Why would you pay a deposit for a warranty replacement? that too on a 3 month old car
That is a different story all together.

The power window failed when we were on a high way and the nearest MASS was around 200+ KM. It was raining cats and dogs on that day, so i took the car to nearest garage, got the door pad opened and got the window rolled up manually and we used thermacol and some card boards to support the glass.

When i took the car to Sai service near my home, they say, Warranty VOID as the door pad was opened and card boards were placed inside. On persuading them, they ask me to put a deposit and only then they will take it to MS. If not, leave the car for 2 weeks till warranty gets approved.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 16th July 2014 at 15:10.
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 15:10   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
That is a different story all together.

The power window failed when we were on a high way and the nearest MASS was around 200+ KM. It was raining cats and dogs on that day, so i took the car to nearest garage, got the door pad opened and got the window rolled up manually and we used thermacol and some card boards to support the glass.

When i took the car to Sai service near my home, they say, Warranty VOID as the door pad was opened and card boards were placed inside. On persuading them, they ask me to put a deposit and only then they will take it to MS. If not, leave the car for 2 weeks till warranty gets approved.
that's Pure Horse crap! Did you report this to MS? You shouldn't have let this slide.
What they expect you to drive down 200 KM + with a open window in the rains? God knows what else would have gone wrong if you did that.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:16   #408
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I Second Captain Slow. Shall you please elaborate on the exact nature of the deposit?
Explained above. Wrote the answer but forgot to post it. In the meanwhile, you quoted my quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
that's Pure Horse crap! Did you report this to MS? You shouldn't have let this slide.
What they expect you to drive down 200 KM + with a open window in the rains? God knows what else would have gone wrong if you did that.
Yo! i Did that. Got few calls from MS. Wrote a detailed mail explaining the same. They said they will look into it. But after that, no response.

The biggest concern for me is, when ever i write to MS, in the next 2 hours i used to get a call from Sai service GM and asking my concern. He used to provide a detailed explanation that they are working on the same blah blah. As i migrated from Fiat ASS to to MS service i thought they are working on it. As days passed by, i found no time to take it forward. Now finally understood, how they play with customers. Reason? My second power window conked off in warranty. Demanded a proper explanation & Got the same replaced under warranty.

And finally understood the MS meaning of quality. Ensure everything lasts only for the Warranty days provided to the customer. Nothing more, Nothing Less.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th July 2014 at 02:42. Reason: only 2 smileys allowed per post, please read board rules carefully, thanks

Old 16th July 2014, 22:01   #409
BHPian

Reading all this I feel Fiat is not as bad as what people think. I have a T-jet and there have been a few issues. However replacements under warranty have been very simple and straightforward. Every time the billed amount has been zero. I have not been charged even for labor except once at Tuli Fiat. I have even got rear window power motor changed once. It took a week for the item to arrive and be replaced. However, the Fiat people informed, took the car from my residence, replaced the part and delivered the vehicle back.

I never faced any issue about paying some deposit pending approval of warranty, honoring of warranty or inordinate delay in spare parts. I think people have some pre-conceived notions but the facts are very much different.
Old 17th July 2014, 10:57   #410
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post
Reading all this I feel Fiat is not as bad as what people think.
Yes, after experiencing Maruti service, even i feel the same. The Advantage with a Fiat is You do not need any replacements. In my 1.6 Sport, i didn't had to replace any part when it was with me (for 6+ Years), other than the regular brake pads, Shocks and lower arms. I had to shell out for a fog lamp & a headlight which was my mistake hitting a dead dog.

In my Maruti, till date 2 power window motors had been replaced with out any reason. Plus a lot of inconvenience caused because of these as they never replaced the part in the first place. They tried 2 -3 times and then replaced.

Only God knows what resale value i would get when i sell it, but as of now, i am scared of my suzuki stopping on a road.

After driving Maruti for a year and a half, Will i Ever buy a Suzuki again? Never.
Will i Buy a FIAT again? Yes. It is already in the works.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2014 at 17:26. Reason: Please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars / brands (e.g. MS). Thanks
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 11:25   #411
Senior - BHPian

@gemi_kk & skm1967:

Things are not as bad as you are making them seem. Yes agreed that you had a bitter experience during your ownership, no doubt about that. But it is wrong to generalise. Amongst our close relatives, we have had 4 Marutis since 1995 & all of them have been very reliable.

Dad has owned 2 Marutis since 2000, and reliability of the cars has been rock solid. They haven't broken down even once while on the run. Apart from the regular wear & tear replacements, we did not replace any major part in out cars.

The service experience too has been good enough except the last 2 years. Even in the last 2 years, the issues, though they shouldn't have happened in the first place, have been resolved to our satisfaction.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 12:02   #412
dcs
BHPian

Very Honestly, I haven't gone through the entire thread and posts, but looking at the Tittle, i would like to draw the attention towards few things.

I have worked as an Asst. General Manager at one of the Leading Maruti Sales outlet in NCR. While, that outlet has a repute of being one of the best, I would still say that at the end of the day we all are working for Money.

New Vehicle Sales Staff gets incentives on the vehicle sales while the Service Advisors get incentives on the Revenue they generate on Service. So their prime focus is always on inflating the Service Bill. I am not saying that they charge you wrongly for the services or parts, its just that they would ask you to approve of something that your car primarily does not need.

It so happened that a friend purchased a Maruti Suzuki SX4 Celebration from us. Now this gentleman is himself an Automobile Enthusiast, which means that he perhaps has a better understanding of machines as compared to a lot of others.

When his car came in for the first check-up/ Service (which is done within 30 days or 1000 kms, whichever is earlier), I was horrified to see the bill which ran into some 5-6 thousand without any Oil, Filter Change. When I looked at the bill details, I was petrified to see few of the charges like:
1. Brake Pin Caliper Greasing
2. Radiator Flushing
3. Teflon Coating
4. Engine Lamination

When I called in the Service Advisor to understand the need and the details of the bill, I could not believe my ears.

He explained that the Brake Caliper Pins need greasing after every 1000 to 2000 kms. Like wise for Radiator too. Teflon Coating and Engine Lamination was to preserve and enhance the life of the vehicle.

I failed to understand how was I able to drive my 11 year old Maruti Suzuki vehicle that had done over 1 Lac kilometers with Pin Greasing and Radiator flushing just once or twice. If these things are so very important, than I should have spend more money on the servicing then the Cost of the vehicle in the past 11 years. I am not ruling out the thought that caring for your vehicle is incorrect, but spending foolishly for the things that are not required is again a Not-So-Wise thing.

In a nutshell, I would say that it depends on us (the Owners) to strike out the useless expense from the Job Sheet. Understand the vehicle and its requirement. No Need to feed a Dunkin' Donut to a Camel. He can not appreciate the cost and the taste of it.

All Cheers
dcs
dcs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 00:36   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs View Post
In a nutshell, I would say that it depends on us (the Owners) to strike out the useless expense from the Job Sheet. Understand the vehicle and its requirement. No Need to feed a Dunkin' Donut to a Camel. He can not appreciate the cost and the taste of it.

All Cheers
dcs
Exactly. If the owners are vigilant and take the SA to task when they try to add extra stuff, the final bill will be a lot cheap than any competitor. I don't think the service advisors would try to be honest and not get a good paycheck. After all its their livelihood. However as owners if we don't let them fleece us, they'll perhaps look at sincere ways to make money. I'm not saying what they do is right, but they can make money by taking in more vehicles etc rather than fleecing one owner with unwanted stuff.
Old 20th July 2014, 13:56   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In a nutshell, I would say that it depends on us (the Owners) to strike out the useless expense from the Job Sheet. Understand the vehicle and its requirement.
Your post openly justifies the wrong doings going on at dealerships. Isn't the 2nd sentence in quoted part the job of service advisor? You cannot expect every layman to be an automobile engineer or an automobile enthusiast and know what his car requires. Isn't this where the service advisor is supposed to come into the picture to help the customers?

I totally agree that SAs get incentives linked to the revenue they generate. but this does not give them the license to push good-to-have or optional services as essential ones. This is not justifiable by any stretch of imagination. Just because everyone does this, it cannot be deemed correct.

I agree though that things are not likely to change in the near future. This greedy attitude will continue. The only option owners have is to remain alert.

Last edited by AkMar : 20th July 2014 at 14:01.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:28   #415
BANNED

Guys what would be cost of new clutch for Swift petrol ?
Also could somebody suggest me an independent workshop in Vaishali,Ghaziabad

Last edited by scarlet.fever : 5th August 2014 at 11:31.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:36   #416
BHPian

Planning to get my swift VDi serviced this weekend, 47,000 kms done.

Could anyone please help me as in how much would be the approximate cost for the same.

Also I am in search for RELIABLE service center in Mumbai.
My last experience with Vitesse, Prabhadevi was very very bad.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:10   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

Also I am in search for RELIABLE service center in Mumbai.
My last experience with Vitesse, Prabhadevi was very very bad.
Surprised to hear that! I have heard good reviews for Vitesse in Team BHP. I am also on the lookout for a reliable service center after a terrible experience (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-refunded.html) with Sai Service. You can find some recommendations in that thread. Off hand, I can remember these: Navnit, thane; Shivam Charkop, Car Kraft Mulund.

If your car is out of warranty, you can try independent garages. As per reviews in the directory, Nakita Motors at Bandra, Select Auto at Dadar East & Wagnworkz are good garages. You can find their reviews in the directory section! I haven't yet experienced any of the recommended M.A.S.S on the thread about my last service & these independent garages either. Do share your experience whichever option you opt for!

Meanwhile its 6 months since we serviced our car & we have got the usual "paid service reminder" from Sai Service in spite of the service interval of 1 year This time I have decided to ignore the letter. Complaining about it makes no difference.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:44   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All Cheers
dcs
I agree to this. There are things which are not required but are mentioned and I as the owner have the choice to say no. Agreed that not everyone is an enthusiast and would know everything, but then before you drive the car one brought, everyone is 'expected' to read the manual and follow it. Why blame anyone else, if we don't take care?

I do not understand most of the terminologies used here, yet when the car goes for service, I am pretty clear what needs to be done and what not. I also jot down the tasks I want to be performed beforehand, give that sheet to the SA and ask him to mark against it, Nothing more and nothing less. I pay for what I wanted to be done.
Old 11th September 2014, 13:55   #419
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Agreed that not everyone is an enthusiast and would know everything, but then before you drive the car one brought, everyone is 'expected' to read the manual and follow it.

Why blame anyone else, if we don't take care?
Spot-on. Just go through the maintenence schedule given in the owners manual and do accordingly. No need to listen to the SA and his great advices!

Anurag.
Old 11th September 2014, 19:50   #420
BHPian

I agree that a person who understands his car well can take care of what is needed and what is not.

My last service at 37k kms for swift vdi, everything was running well.. I mainly asked the SA to change the oil to synthetic, chance the oil filter, tyre rotation, EGR cleaning and a few regular checkups like brakes and stuff..

As I needed an express delivary, I was waiting. The car was delivered in 3 hours.

I was shockked to see a service bill of Rs 12,000/-

Oil change was Rs ~3000/-.
They had also cleaned the radiator.
I asked how do they clean the radiator?
The SA said that they remove the bumper and radiator, change all the pipes and hoses, and clean it.
Then I asked him to show it to me.
The SA showed me the pipe of the air filter. Saying this is a cleaned radiator pipe.
Then I asked him the question:
1. Show me the airfilter?
2. (Pointing towards the radiator) what's that called?
His face turned yellow, and he ran inside saying that he will call the mechanic.
10 minutes later he returned with another service bill, Rs 9k.

On enquiring, he said that they had not cleaned the radiator, it was added into the bill by mistake. (A mistake of looting a customer by Rs 3k)

Now I asked him how do they do the EGR?
This time he imediatly said he did not know and called in the supervisor.

Supervisor: Yes sir?
Me: Sir please tell me how is this EGR cleaning done?
Sup : Sir its a very difficult task.
For that we need to remove the engine cover and take our the exaust pipe then decarbonize it and then use some special chemical..
Me: Then it must be taking a lot of time, right?
Sup : Yes sir, it takes atleast a day. You will have to keep your car here.
(the SA's face turned pale again.)
Me : Can it be done in 3-4 hours?
Sup : NO SIR.
Me: (showing him the bill) Sir my car checked in at 10 am, its 2 pm now, and I've been charged for EGR cleaning, can you please explain.

Then the SA and the supervisor go back in.
After 15 mins, and enquiring for 2-3 times the SA comes out.

SA : Sir your final bill. (handing me the bill)

Its Rs 7.5 K. Fair enough I say to my self.

They had not done the EGR, nor the Radiator cooling (for which they had charged).

Frustrated and given up hopes of arguing with them, I pay the bill and leave.

When I cranked the engine, I doubt if they had even changed the engine oil.

Service Center: Vitesse Prabhadevi. Worst experience ever.
iamahunter is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed