Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 00:16   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry to say but you are at fault equally. The service advisor (SA) will talk non-sense so that he earns brownie points on getting a car serviced with those "extra" jobs that aren't actually needed.

You should have read the manual or at least had a look to know what is really required to be done. The SA will say a million things but just don't give them a heed.

Remember one thing, always follow the owners manual, the manufacturer knows the car better and NOT the dealer.

The service interval is 10000 kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier.

Anurag.

Though this thread has run pages together, I dont understand why owners dont stick to the user manual. Only a very prompt SA can get you a low service bill. However, in case of Maruti, as a customer, one isnt forced to pay heavy maintenance bills unlike some manufacturers where the labour or spare part charges are itself high, and escalations to the company dont work. It is just the Service advisors who try to milk the customer and not the company themselves.

Stick to the manual, and show it to the SA. They wont continue their stories of how throttle body cleaning or decarbonisation is required. In spite of this being discussed from a long time, people still pay huge bills, and later complain here. If already fooled, do escalate the issue to higher ups, you will be assured of prompt action.
Old 25th September 2014, 18:40   #437
Senior - BHPian

Diesel filter cartridge now available separately

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Maruti has been increasing the service cost on it's vehicles. Case in point their diesel filter design change for the new Swift. The old filter had a simple diesel filter just like all diesel vehicles do with a metal canister. They changed this on the new Swift to put the filter in a plastic housing and added sensors to the top and bottom of the plastic body. The result of this design change is a 3x increase in part price. The old Swift diesel filter cost was Rs. 1300/- the new filter cost is Rs. 3143/- inclusive of taxes. This coupled with the change over to semi-synthetic oil has raised the average service cost of the Swift. The 20k service of the Swift should now cost in the range of Rs. 10,000/- or upwards.

This is how the new expensive filter looks:

Attachment 972704
I'm not aware if this has been updated here before.

The exchange (diesel) filter cartridge that goes in the black plastic filter case is available separately so you don't have to replace the complete unit during a filter change.

The part no of the filter cartridge is 15411M55KD0 and the price is around Rs1500/-

However i'm told that the water sensor is not available separately so if the sensor is damaged the complete unit needs changing.
Old 12th October 2014, 01:15   #438
BHPian

I'l post my service bills here. If you check the works to be done carefully, you won't be charged much. Better to get alignment and balancing done outside. In my bills, you can notice how the bill got really high during the 20k service as I couldn't keep a check on the works done. On the 30k service, I got a suspension arm bush replaced under warranty after a huge fight and I also asked them to cut some charges for Diagnostics which they did not agree at the end and i was fed up fighting so did't go further. Will be giving my car for the 40,000km service day after and will update that later.

Service Center - Popular

1st service (1000 km)
Rs. 0/-

2nd service (5,000 km)
Rs. 0/-

3rd service (10,000 km)
  • Engine Oil – Castrol – Rs.759.60/-
  • Windscreen cleaner – Rs. 79.91/-
  • Oil Filter – Rs.79/-
  • Taxes – Rs. 106/-
  • Total – Rs. 946/-

4th service (20,000 km)
  • balancing weights – Rs.125.7/–
  • Oil Filter – Rs.78/-
  • Wiper blades – Rs. 300/-
  • Filter – Rs. 296/-
  • Brake Fluid – Rs. 136.56/-
  • Coolant – Rs. 207/-
  • Engine Oil – Rs. 822/-
  • MGGO (gearbox oil) – Rs. 730/-
  • Misc – Rs.40/-
  • Paid Service – Rs. 875/-
  • Brakes Overhaul – Rs. 400/-
  • Washing and cleaning – Rs. 150/-
  • Wheel Alignment – Rs. 300/-
  • Balancing - Rs. 300/-
  • Calp Cyl Slidebsh or Dust B. Sid A&R – Rs. 200/-
Total – Rs. 5711/-

*Could have avoided Brakes overhaul and a few other stuffs.

5th Service (30,000km)
Parts:
  • Filter Assy, OIL - Rs. 78.60
  • MGO Castrol 5W30 - 2.9 L - Rs. 815.54
Total - Rs. 894.14
with tax - Rs. 1023.79

Labour
  • ZA37L0 Pick up and drop - Rs. 120
  • ZE12L0 Paid Service (30k/50k/70k/..) - Rs. 960
  • ZA74Z0 Tech-2/ SDT parameters checking - Rs. 400
  • MK06R01 - CALP CYL SLIDEBSH OR DUST B.SID R7R - Rs. 350
  • Vehicle Wash - Rs. 0

Total - Rs. 1830
with tax - Rs. 2056.19

NET - Rs. 3080/-

Total till 30,000 km - Rs. 9700/- (approx).

Could have easily got that figure down by around 1500 if I had taken care in the 20k service.

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 13:26   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
My points in BOLD given along with the quote. Then what do you think of the service pack from Maruti? Any experience?
I own a Maruti Wagon-R 2010 and this check up thing is totally unwanted and just to loot money from you. Unless and untill you report any particular problem with the vehicle or they tell you about some issues, you should not be charged any labour more the the ones for Periodic servicing (which is around 1000/-). And just go the Maruti recommended way - either every 10,000 km or every year, which ever is earlier. Please do not go in for a service other than that. Never fall prey to the 6-month servicing thing!

With M.A.S.S, you can easily control the bill if you tell them what is to be done and what not to be done. I, for the last two services, mention specifically not to do anything other than what's recommended and that has saved me quite a good amount of money from Engine De-carb, injector cleaning, brake overhauling, etc SCAMS. Read the service manual thoroughly before giving the car for service.

Just thought of sharing how I generally give the car for service -
1) Read the maintenance page of the manual and write down what needs to be checked and what needs replacement.
2) Check the car for any particular issues.
3) Search through T-BHP for any other works necessary in this time-schedule other than the service manual recommendation (it's 99% a NO).
4) Check other Maruti owners bills to see how M.A.S.S generally loots customers.
5) Tell the SA what to do & what not to do.
6) If he still includes some unwanted stuff, don't pay till he budges to remove the item from the billl.

P.S - There's nothing to be ashamed or to be felt bad to talk about money in a service center with people around you. Half the people experience the same issues but remain silent. In my case, esp. being a student, it's my parents hard-earned money. So I'l be even more cautious.

Attaching my 40,000 km service bill details which came to Rs.5.3k

Parts -
Spark plug (3 no.s) - Rs. 262
Air Cleaner - Rs. 153
Oil filter - Rs. 261
Brake Caliper pin - Rs. 87
Brake Fluid - Rs. 161
Coolant - Rs. 249
Cabin Air Filter - Rs 305
Screen wash - 26
Engine oil - 855
Transmission Oil - Rs. 751

Total with taxes - Rs. 3678/-

Labour -
Paid Service - 40k/80k - Rs. 1095
Repair - Rs.400/-
Pollution check - Rs. 100/-
Battery check - Rs. 50/-

I had never asked them to do pollution check (even if they did, the govt mandated rate is Rs. 75/-) and battery check should be included within the Paid Service charges and I demanded these two to be deducted to which he finally obliged.

Final Bill - Rs. 5370/-

The M.A.S.S is Indus Motors Venpalavattom. The SA suggested me to take the Service Pack too. For 3 periodic services for 3 years, 11k that too just for labour is daylight robbery. Just to compare, my TATA Nano AMC Silver (all basic consumables plus labour) comes at 6k for 4 years/40,000 km (this is after the initial free AMC for 2 years). Difference being - Indus provides this package unlike TATA directly providing. Even if u take the 50k, 60k and 70k services to have labour charges at around 2.5k per service its way lesser than the service package.

From here on, I'l be quitting MASS and go to my trusted old-age garage to do oil top ups and other maintenance.

Cheers!
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:32   #440
BHPian

Having owned and driven Maruti cars for past 20 years, i can easily comment on the topic that gone are the days when servicing a maruti would have been cheap. In the year 2010, 40k service on my Maruti 800 cost me around 7500 Rs at Competent automobiles, New delhi and currently my Ritz VDI went for 40k servicing at Rana motors, new delhi, the cost of servicing was 12,477/- including taxes and labour(service invoice attached.

In contrast and totally against popular public perception, my Chevy went for servicing at 25000 kms and the total bill was Rs 3900. Since i am also planning to upgrade, i inquired about Fiat Linea Service at 40,000 kms, the service advisor confirmed that the maximum stretch that one would get on service would be around 7500 rs including oil and all the lubes, labour included.

So i can safely assume that gone are the days when servicing a maruti was cheap. It is just a matter of public image and mindset which is helping maruti going on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf service invoice.pdf (332.2 KB, 966 views)
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:46   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Having owned and driven Maruti cars for past 20 years, i can easily comment on the topic that gone are the days when servicing a maruti would have been cheap. In the year 2010, 40k service on my Maruti 800 cost me around 7500 Rs at Competent automobiles, New delhi and currently my Ritz VDI went for 40k servicing at Rana motors, new delhi, the cost of servicing was 12,477/- including taxes and labour(service invoice attached.

In contrast and totally against popular public perception, my Chevy went for servicing at 25000 kms and the total bill was Rs 3900. Since i am also planning to upgrade, i inquired about Fiat Linea Service at 40,000 kms, the service advisor confirmed that the maximum stretch that one would get on service would be around 7500 rs including oil and all the lubes, labour included.

So i can safely assume that gone are the days when servicing a maruti was cheap. It is just a matter of public image and mindset which is helping maruti going on.
The Labor for removing and replacing Front Disc Pads - Rs. 635!!!

They have the Hydraulic Lift, they have power tools, and all that needs to be done is remove the bolts on the wheels and remove the 2 bolts on the caliper assembly. Access the Discs, remove and replace.

Unless they are also doing a Brake fluid bleeding and cleaning of rear drums as well, this labor charge is very very high!

I would rather do this as a DIY than paying so much labor only to replace the pads!

The funny thing is that 1500 is paid towards "Paid Service" in which the car is:
  • Washed
  • Engine Oil Drained and Replaced
  • GearBox Oil Drained and Replaced
  • Air Filter removed and cleaned
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:01   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Labor for removing and replacing Front Disc Pads - Rs. 635!!!

They have the Hydraulic Lift, they have power tools, and all that needs to be done is remove the bolts on the wheels and remove the 2 bolts on the caliper assembly. Access the Discs, remove and replace.

The funny thing is that 1500 is paid towards "Paid Service" in which the car is:
  • Washed
  • Engine Oil Drained and Replaced
  • GearBox Oil Drained and Replaced
  • Air Filter removed and cleaned

The main scam that is going on in MASS is like ordering a combo in a restaurant and yet being billed for all the items in the combo separately. That's why the charges are absurd. We need to demand a written description of everything that's covered under service so that we can know what is included and what's not. Whenever I ask for it, the extra charges are chopped off the bill only leaving paid service labour.

During the last service too, the SA was acting as if she was very honest and started that paid service doesn't cover brake cleaning etc. Had to make the GM of the service centre explain to her she was wrong. Also in the above case of being charged for brake pad replacement, that entitles for a refund. Brake pad check and replace is a part of paid service.

For those comparing the service costs of a M800 years back to a Ritz, sorry the comparison is ridiculous. That doesn't let you say Marutis arent cheap to maintain. When we had our omni, I would get two Idlis for Rs. 10. Now I get only one idli for the same amount.

Hence, if we should compare, we should compare it with a car from the same segment from different manufacturers. That's when we can say if things are costlier or cheaper.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd November 2014 at 17:03.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:20   #443
BHPian

@parag, Yes, they did this entire excercise of brakes bleeding and rear drum cleaning as well. I can safely confirm on this as i was physically hovering around my vehicle all the time it was getting serviced. Inspite of the high costs that i have incurred, i am very happy that the vehicle runs like new and i have peace of mind. As on date, i have calculated the fuel efficiency and it is 20 KMPL constantly for the last 3 fills. My daily run is a mix of city and highway.

This is one thing which gets over all other feeling. All fellow BHP'ians who have had a lemon will support me in my claim that no one would prefer to be in a situation wherin they purchase the vehicle and then loose sleep over it. Also in today's world, a normal serviceholder will not mind paying extra and be assured about his vehicle. Maruti most probaly has followed this philosophy that it is 3times more expensive to acquire a new customer. Hence retain the old customers by providing them immaculate service and be accountable for your actions. They will definitely come back to you. I definitely have the complain of the servicing costs hitting my pockets, but the moment i start my vehicle with one single crank, and the car starts running like a dream, i forget all other issues.
Old 11th November 2014, 10:00   #444
BHPian

I just confirmed with an SA in Maruti and was informed that the service cost for 35 K kms service is 9.5k Rs. It's definitely not cheap.

The car in question is a Ritz VDI.

nIk
Old 11th November 2014, 11:44   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I just confirmed with an SA in Maruti and was informed that the service cost for 35 K kms service is 9.5k Rs. It's definitely not cheap.

nIk
Hi Nik

the SA is taking you for a big ride. The first inconsistency is that there is no 35 K service requirement. VDIs have 10K service intervals. If at all one does 35K service the only thing that gets done is oil and oil filter change that should not cost more than a couple of thousand rupees.

I have spent not more than 6.5K in any service except while changing brake pads or clutch kit.
Old 11th November 2014, 12:23   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post

nIk
Noway buddy, just get the list of items he plans to do for this service & we can be sure what he is up to. I am guessing you might have already completed your routine 30k service ?
Old 16th January 2015, 21:10   #447
BHPian

Got 40k km service done for my alto from ABT Maruti, Chennai today. The total cost was 7.8k of which half was labour. While the parts' cost seems reasonable I am finding it tough to digest the labour charge which is close to 4000 rupees. Is this normal or am I being fleeced here?
Old 16th January 2015, 21:16   #448
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Got 40k km service done for my alto from ABT Maruti, Chennai today. The total cost was 7.8k of which half was labour. While the parts' cost seems reasonable I am finding it tough to digest the labour charge which is close to 4000 rupees. Is this normal or am I being fleeced here?
4K for labour for an Alto?! God above!

Can you please post the bill here and what all works were carried out in this 40K service?

This is fleecing to the core IMO!
Old 16th January 2015, 22:17   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is what I paid at MSM for the 48 month service last June:

Spark plug NGK Rs 327.50
Air Cleaner element Rs 170.00
Oil filter Rs 78.00
Brake fluid Rs 262.00
Coolant Rs 410.00
Gear oil (Shell) Rs 691.00
Misc Rs 151.00
Paid service Rs 1220.00
Brake overhaul Rs 800.00
Electrical check-up Rs 200.00
Interior cleaning (optional) Rs 750.00
VAT and Service tax Rs 669.50

Total at MSM Rs 5729.00
Shel HX-7 (provided by me) Rs 1325.00

Grand total Rs 7054.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My Alto completed 5years last week and underwent annual service at MSM:

Amount (Rs)

Gasket : 3.49
Oil Drain Plug: 18.34
Air cleaner element: 205.24 (I change it annually)
Oil filter assy: 78.60
Cons (PET) Part no. 90900M11889 104.80 (What is this?)
5 wheel balancing (weights only): 179.04
Brake Fluid GC 1500 AA (50 ml): 6.77 (Top up?)
Golden yellow coolant 100 ml : 20.52 (Top up?)
Grease, caliper assy : 55.90
Wind screen wash : 13.10
-------------
Total 685.80

Paid service 40k / 80k : 1325.00
Side slip & Brake tester charges 500.00 (Optional)
Wheel alignment 1.00
Wheel balancing 1.00
Service Tax & VAT 325.00
---------------
Total 2836.00

Engine oil Shell Helix HX7 3 litres (Mine): 1320.00
-----------------
Grand Total : 4156.00

The wheel alignment and balancing are free for insurance renewal at Maruti.

I wouldn't say this is very high, considering that even the Splendor incurs not less than Rs 1000.00 for a regular service at the A.S.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post

Can you give a break-up of what ABT charged? Please see what MSM charged me for the fourth and fifth year service respectively and compare.
Old 17th January 2015, 08:15   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently got my WagonR VXi serviced at MASS. There were some issues and it had gone for running repair. Total cost incurred was 3k which included a swing arm which was replaced just 6 months back. What I feel is that the parts might be cheap but they dont last. The amount for maintenance I have spent on my WagonR in last 3 years of ownership even after discounting parts changed under extended warranty is much more than what I had spent on my Santro during its 7 year stay with us. One issue that I find peculiar to Maruti small cars is brake caliper noise. It never occurred in our Santro. Maruti doesn't instill confidence in me now like it did earlier.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 17th January 2015 at 08:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks