Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 13:02   #496
BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Paid service cost is Rs. 860/- for the Zen, which in my view is nothing more than washing and spark plug cleaning.
Thanks!
I think its bit more than that. The labor charges for oil and filter change, cleaning of air filter, vehicle checkup (if they ever do this properly) etc should be a part of this.
I feel they should also roll up the labor charges for brake cleaning in the general service charges. Ford always charges me separately for this; Maruti too used to charge this separately if I remember this right.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:06   #497
BHPian

Quote:
The recommendation for Zen is 20w-40.
Dear Saket77,

Please dont deviate much from the recommended oil specification. Infact I would suggest no deviation at all in case of a high run old engine like that of your zen.
Over pampering can have its side effects too. Me too, opted for 5w30 in my zen sometimes back after which i could sense a little missing from the engine. My zen was at 120000 km then. I faintly remember reading that your zen has crossed 1 lac km too, please use the maruti recommended grade oil and your car shall remain happier.

Regards
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:12   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Dear Saket77,

Please dont deviate much from the recommended oil specification. Infact I would suggest no deviation at all in case of a high run old engine like that of your zen.
Over pampering can have its side effects too. Me too, opted for 5w30 in my zen sometimes back after which i could sense a little missing from the engine. My zen was at 120000 km then. I faintly remember reading that your zen has crossed 1 lac km too, please use the maruti recommended grade oil and your car shall remain happier.

Regards
Thanks friend for your words of wisdom. That really holds true for older engines which have some good kms under its belt.

However, since my car is just closing 30K kms (sheepishly stating that ), I think I can use slightly thinner oil as the block can still be considered virgin. In fact, that's the grade I have been using since the car had done 5K kms.

But for engines with over 60-65K kms, I would not use such thin oil myself. I think I would go to the recommended 20w-40 grade once the car crosses 50K kms. But thanks for the insight. Do you still have the 1.2L+ kms Zen?

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:37   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks friend for your words of wisdom. That really holds true for older engines which have some good kms under its belt.

However, since my car is just closing 30K kms (sheepishly stating that ), I think I can use slightly thinner oil as the block can still be considered virgin. In fact, that's the grade I have been using since the car had done 5K kms.

But for engines with over 60-65K kms, I would not use such thin oil myself. I think I would go to the recommended 20w-40 grade once the car crosses 50K kms. But thanks for the insight. Do you still have the 1.2L+ kms Zen?

Regards,
Saket
Woah! Never knew we can still find virgin zens in India. Thats definitely a keeper.
Unfortunately, I had to sell my zen since it was plagued with car cancer aka rust. She carried all original factory paint for first 8 yrs and 10 months of her ownership. The engine legs(don't know the exact terminology) caught rust in 9 yrs of ownership despite always washing it with fresh non-boring water.
Had a couple of words with the experts, but structural integrity of the car would have been compromised. Patching up the rust wasn't something I wished to do. I still miss her.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:59   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Are you sure about the service manual mandating cleaning of EGR every 30k kms. Can you please post the picture of the same?
Here you go.
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-1431937619275.jpg
Line item no. 10 and note a 'C' under every 30k kms.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 14:32   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Here you go.
Attachment 1371947
Line item no. 10 and note a 'C' under every 30k kms.
Thank you Sridhar. Will review my service history later today, and if not done, will get this attended to.
Old 18th May 2015, 15:45   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted a left outer rear view mirror (Rs. 1430/-) but could not get it fitted because they did not have the inner assembly of the mirror in the stock. Will get it fitted once they have it in stock.
Cross-check the price of the left ORVM. When I replaced the old mirrors in my Zen with internally adjustable ones some time in 2013, the RHS was ~ 1300 but LHS was just 900 or so. There used to be a 400 difference for LHS mirror. Just ensure they are not billing you for right side mirror. Difference as I understood then was that RHS is MGP while LHS is MGA.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 15:54   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Cross-check the price of the left ORVM. When I replaced the old mirrors in my Zen with internally adjustable ones some time in 2013, the RHS was ~ 1300 but LHS was just 900 or so. There used to be a 400 difference for LHS mirror. Just ensure they are not billing you for right side mirror. Difference as I understood then was that RHS is MGP while LHS is MGA.
They showed me the box. I checked the price so I am sure about the price but did not check the part description. Hence, I am not sure if that was indeed the LHS mirror.

They did not have the inner plastic trim of the mirror, hence did not get it fitted.

Thanks!
Old 18th May 2015, 17:05   #504
Senior - BHPian

4th service (paid) for my dad's Alto 800 at Hercules Automobiles in Trivandrum - around Rs 8500 (Regular service + silencer replace)
He was tricked into replacing the silencer:
Got a call from the service adviser, "Saar, your silencer is gone, needs replacement".
Dad: Is it really required? I could not hear any sound.
Service Adviser: Very much required sir, it is completely gone.
Dad: Will it be a problem if I drive around with it?
Service Adviser: Saar, you will get a breakdown on the way.
Dad: OK, replace it

Last edited by jinojohnt : 18th May 2015 at 17:10.
Old 18th May 2015, 17:20   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
4th service (paid) for my dad's Alto 800 at Hercules Automobiles in Trivandrum - around Rs 8500 (Regular service + silencer replace)
What is the cost of the silencer muffler? Can you please check the bill or better post a copy of the invoice? A regular service of Alto including oil change should cost around 2K. Hence, 6500 bucks for silencer replacement looks a tad higher to me.

I feel that unless you are sure that the part is really gone, one should not give a ahead to the service centers for replacement. That is a sure-shot recipe of being conned at your own expense. Try your best not to leave the car at the ASC as it gives the service personnel a free hand. Try to accompany your car for service. It always pays off. If nothing, you learn a lot and get to know your car better.

Regards.
Old 18th May 2015, 20:40   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
He was tricked into replacing the silencer:
Got a call from the service adviser, "Saar, your silencer is gone, needs replacement".
Was it due to rust? How old is your dad's Alto? Isn't the car still under warranty, considering 4th service is at 15k? Also, since it is in Trivandrum, is the car exposed to the salty air near the beach on a regular basis?

I remember a few of my dad's friends having rust issues on their cars in 3-4 years due to the high proximity and prolonged exposure of beach air.
Old 19th May 2015, 09:56   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please check the bill or better post a copy of the invoice?
I have asked dad to show me the bill, would check the details and post here.
Quote:
Try to accompany your car for service. It always pays off. If nothing, you learn a lot and get to know your car better.
I do the same for my cars. But difficult to convince dad in this respect. I guess 'most' of the people in the previous generation are like this.
Quote:
How old is your dad's Alto? Isn't the car still under warranty, considering 4th service is at 15k?
I think dad's car is less than 2 years old, need to double check on this. Would muffler be covered under warranty? Even if it is covered, I think the workshop would try to come up with reasons such as 'stone hit'/'rust', etc. to deny warranty.
Quote:
Also, since it is in Trivandrum, is the car exposed to the salty air near the beach on a regular basis?
My Alto is six years old, plying in the same area with similar usage pattern, muffler still going strong.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 19th May 2015 at 10:01.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:03   #508
BHPian

HI All

Good Day

Though an active member on Teambhp this is my first post on this thread and thankfull we have a medium to discuss our queries.

Today I took my 2012 Maruti alto lxi for a 20000 kms 4th service which will be the first paid service. I knew for a fact that the service station charges premium for oil hence I took my own supply of engine oil, transmission oil and coolant for replacement as the 20k service needs the same to be replaced. The service station/ dealer is the same place that I had purchased the car from i.e varum motors tolichowki and to my horror the service advisor refused to do the job just because i had bought the oil on my own and he said its not allowed. He also gave an estimate of Rs7500/- which I felt is pretty high for servicing the cheapest car from maruti. I spoke to a couple of other service stations in hyderabad as well and all of them say oil replacement will be done only through the service stations and even if the customer gets a best oil it will not be allowed. I am really upset at this pushing the extra stuff factor of the authorised service station. Has anyone else experiences the same? what about places like bangalore? mumbai?

Now I am thinking if i should go to authorised or get it done at a local shop. I have heard that sainath motors who owns the castrol pitshop is also preyty decent for service . request the experts to comment on the same please.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 29th May 2015, 14:42   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
-----hence I took my own supply of engine oil, transmission oil and coolant for replacement as the 20k service needs the same to be replaced. ---- the service advisor refused to do the job just because i had bought the oil on my own and he said its not allowed. He also gave an estimate of Rs7500/-
Some authorised service centers do refuse to use oil bought by the customers from outside. Probably for 2 reasons:

1. They lose margin on each service because they cannot make profit on the oil, and,

2. Because if the car develops some problem later due to counterfeit or wrong grade of oil, the records will still show that the car was serviced by a MASS and hence the customer can blame Maruti for the problem.

So, its the combination of these factors. However, some ASCs do oblige with a remark on your service bill that the oil was brought by the customer.

Coming to the quote, then yes, 7.5K is a huge bill considering you just needed the oil change and regular paid service. Even if you bought the oil from the MASS, the bill should not exceed 2.5-3K. This is of course assuming that the car did not need any other problem to be attended to.

Also, now since your car is out of warranty (assuming that you did not opt for extended warranty), you can carry out simple jobs like oil change at good FNGs.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 14:50   #510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Today I took my 2012 Maruti alto lxi for a 20000 kms 4th service which will be the first paid service.
Shouldn't the fourth service have been done earlier - at the end of two years or 20k kms ?

Assuming your car is out of warranty, please take to a local garage and get the regular servicing done. It'll be cheaper, quicker and you get to pick your own lubes. Look up the directory section for recommendations.

PS: Please ensure that you buy all genuine MGP filters from the authorised Maruti MGP sellers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks