Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 08:59   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have seen many dealers charge extra for brake cleaning, brake pads replacement labour. Maruti has clearly instructed dealers not to charge extra and these are included under PMS charges. If any dealer charges extra for brake cleaning, just complain to Maruti
Nice updates from your end regarding the maintenance charges. Lets see what I will face when I will take my Celerio for its 20k service. There is still 1k kms to go Hopefully I shouldnt have to haggle and bargain this time.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 09:48   #737
Senior - BHPian

Replaced the left rear bearing on my dad's Swift 2005 at 55k kms.
It had failed almost 3-4k kms back and the sound got louder and finally the MASS accepted it is the bearing.

Total costs including labour and a window channel that had to be replaced -1800/-
Old 16th February 2018, 16:04   #738
BHPian

True, Maruti Genuine Spares are reasonably priced. The authorized service, though, is always overpriced because the dealer workshop could be (i) adding work not required, (ii) billing for work not done or done callously, (iii) double charging by billing work covered under the PMS. To add insult to injury, they neglect work that they should have done. For example, last month I went for the annual PMS and returned after paying 6k + 1.5k Tax for my humble Alto. I had to also change my tyres, which I did from outside. When the tyre shoppe removed the wheels, I could see the rims very dirty on the inside. How could they have cleaned the brake-drums but left out the wheels? Did they actually clean the brake-drums?

Then, there was another issue of my driver's seat jumping lock and sliding back spontaneously. The SA did not even address the issue because they did not have the replacement slider assembly in stock. I gave an unsatisfactory feedback so they sent a technician home. The guy at first refused to remove the seat for inspection and just gave his two cents of "Gyan". Then he removed the seat and "convinced" me that the locking teeth of the mechanism were worn out and required replacement, for which they had no stock. I then had to go to a nearby "roadside" mechanic. They were a very enthusiastic bunch and removed the seat for inspection. They tinkered with the slider and found that a tension spring, of a lever that pushes the teeth into locking position, was corroded and kaput. There was no similar spring but the guy produced another coil spring (the original was an almost straight wire bent here and there) and tried to recruit it for the job at hand. Finally, one of the guys managed to juxtapose that "Jugaad" spring to keep tension on the locking teeth. The Contraption works for the moment. I know if I can lay my hands on a 6-inch spring wire, I could form the original spring out of it and the job is completed forever. The replacement logic of Maruti service would waste a beautiful piece of engineering and leave a big carbon footprint when a little spring is all that was required. The spring is for 20 the whole mechanism is for 3600.
gostel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 23:13   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this pic on FB:

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-28828104_10215543482122468_1880861786918865011_o.jpg

Courtesy: Rohit Singh@ Baleno Owners group
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 11:47   #740
Senior - BHPian

Here is the bill of my MS Brezza's third(free @ 10K Km) service. I wanted to go for fully synthetic oil (0W-40) but it was not in stock, so I had to go for 5W-30. That's one of the main reason for my third service bill is under 4K (3378/-). It was my third service but keeping upcoming summer in mind, I changed the coolant also.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-service.jpg

Last edited by SJM1214 : 11th April 2018 at 11:48. Reason: Minor Change.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 17:56   #741
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
It was my third service but keeping upcoming summer in mind, I changed the coolant also.
That is an overkill, oil yes with our harsh conditions can deteriorate. Coolant unless system has any major issues or flare up needn't be replaced so soon. Since it works only within a heat range thanks to radiator and fans.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 18:39   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the bill of my MS Brezza's third(free @ 10K Km) service. I wanted to go for fully synthetic oil (0W-40) but it was not in stock, so I had to go for 5W-30. That's one of the main reason for my third service bill is under 4K (3378/-). It was my third service but keeping upcoming summer in mind, I changed the coolant also.

Attachment 1750593
This is the first time I am hearing someone changing coolant because of upcoming summer. I have heard of people changing coolant + water concentration levels in countries where temperature goes from extreme cold to hot.

Did your service advisor recommend this to you? If so, in my opinion you got ripped off.
Theyota is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 18:50   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
Did your service advisor recommend this to you? If so, in my opinion you got ripped off.
I don't think so as he clearly states that it was him who decided to change the coolant:

Quote:
keeping upcoming summer in mind, I changed the coolant also.
Plus, I would agree with both your and Jaggu's thoughts. I have had an experience of driving in harsh summer in May continuously for 1750 kms through GJ, RJ, DL and UP with usual fuel and food breaks of course and full blast AC and not even once did the temperature needle move anywhere above the halfway mark.

Today's vehicles are really designed to perform under harsh conditions, especially summer while in winter its mostly the first crank and the time taken to reach the optimal operating temperature.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th April 2018 at 18:51.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 09:37   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
No, It was my idea and I have my reasons for the same.

Once upon a time, I faced the issue of overheating in my Santro during summer in Rajasthan. I was coming back from a five days trip of HP. I was doing more than 80-90Kmph with full AC, the outside temperature was more than 45 C. Suddenly, Ac stopped working, the temperature gauge was showing H. It was because of the low level of coolant. I was careless, I didn't keep an eye on coolant before taking a 3000+km trip and it cost me an entire day in some remote village in Rajasthan.

Summer for me is always a trip to mountains. This May we are planning a trip to Spiti or Leh, wherein we"ll have to cross entire Rajasthan. I changed coolant keeping this trip in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have had an experience of driving in harsh summer in May continuously for 1750 kms through GJ, RJ, DL and UP with usual fuel and food breaks of course and full blast AC .
That's exactly, I am going to do this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
That is an overkill,
Well, I am not an expert on coolant or engine overheating issues. Call me superstitious but I am over-cautious when its come to coolant and overheating.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 10:14   #745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but I am over-cautious when its come to coolant and overheating.
Stick to recommended schedules for coolant change, more than enough. More things can go wrong with a refill than old coolant at 10k kms
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 10:23   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Stick to recommended schedules for coolant change, more than enough. More things can go wrong with a refill than old coolant at 10k kms
Point taken Sir. Maybe, I was wrong in treating a new car, with a 13-year-old car's diseases in mind. Thanks for your valuable input.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 15:52   #747
BHPian

Quote:
No, It was my idea and I have my reasons for the same.

Once upon a time, I faced the issue of overheating in my Santro during summer in Rajasthan. I was coming back from a five days trip of HP. I was doing more than 80-90Kmph with full AC, the outside temperature was more than 45 C. Suddenly, Ac stopped working, the temperature gauge was showing H. It was because of the low level of coolant. I was careless, I didn't keep an eye on coolant before taking a 3000+km trip and it cost me an entire day in some remote village in Rajasthan.
That is still not a reason to replace the coolant. If the coolant level is low, refill to the correct level with the concentration recommended in the manual.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:28   #748
ike
BHPian

Can I buy Maruti approved Shell engine oil from an MGP store? The reason I'm asking is because my usual MASS stocks castrol & told me it is difficult for them to procure shell/Mobil 1. They may not entertain me bringing my own oil, but will they relent if I buy it from MGP store?
Old 14th May 2018, 01:02   #749
BHPian

I think it would be waste of money and time to go out of the way to source a specific type of oil for a daily driving car.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:48   #750
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently got the 90k Km service done for Dizzy, our first gen Dzire VXI of early 2009 vintage. Since I had all service records, I used a Sunday productively to digitise the information

I found that over a period of almost 11 years, total expenses on maintenance (services including parts & labour) is about Rs 70k. Major part replacements include Front Drive shaft, Front struts, Stabilizer Bar mounts, Wheel hubs, wheel bearings, Brake pad set. This also includes charges in earlier services (when I wasn't paying attention to some charges) like engine decarbonising, AC gas top up, Caliper pin greasing, brake cleaning, Screen wash concentrate, wheel tags (cable ties), etc which would have set me off by Rs.5k at least.

*All services done at dealer owned workshops, so labour rates are also higher.

*Doesn't include tyre change at 40k Km and Headlamp bulbs - a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram Nightbreaker on couple of occasions.

Going forward, I would prefer going to an independent FNG or MASS for this car and also buy the spares from the local MGP store.

Last edited by NPV : 21st October 2018 at 11:01.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks