Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 13:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier? Poll included.

Already being discussed on this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...heap-myth.html

Maybe mods could merge both threads to avoid content being discussed in 2 places.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 01:44   #92
BHPian

Re: Maruti service is cheap - A myth

Yes, synthetics do much better than mineral oil, but expecting 20k kms from synthetic is
not a good thought. 15k kms is acceptable for modern engines.

Drive safe
Old 27th July 2012, 01:57   #93
BHPian

MASS has started offering free rides for customers. They have now made a habit of doing all unnecessary works like engine flush, decarbonizing and charging heavily for the same.
If anyone demands explanation, then they blames MSIL for instructing them to do so.

Its all a game. Player-MASS. Customers are just left behind as spectators
Old 20th August 2012, 21:43   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
If you see my ownership review, the diesel filter cost change is the only surprise I got. The service center states that the diesel filter needs to be purchased alongwith the body whereas the manual doesn't state any such method. Cost difference between a filter only v/s a body + filter combo is Rs. 2,000/-. I am heading to the service station this weekend to get the diesel filter changed. I'll keep you posted on what the outcome is.
Maruti has been increasing the service cost on it's vehicles. Case in point their diesel filter design change for the new Swift. The old filter had a simple diesel filter just like all diesel vehicles do with a metal canister. They changed this on the new Swift to put the filter in a plastic housing and added sensors to the top and bottom of the plastic body. The result of this design change is a 3x increase in part price. The old Swift diesel filter cost was Rs. 1300/- the new filter cost is Rs. 3143/- inclusive of taxes. This coupled with the change over to semi-synthetic oil has raised the average service cost of the Swift. The 20k service of the Swift should now cost in the range of Rs. 10,000/- or upwards.

This is how the new expensive filter looks:

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-img_1718.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 21:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Maruti has been increasing the service cost on it's vehicles. Case in point their diesel filter design change for the new Swift. The old filter had a simple diesel filter just like all diesel vehicles do with a metal canister. They changed this on the new Swift to put the filter in a plastic housing and added sensors to the top and bottom of the plastic body. The result of this design change is a 3x increase in part price. The old Swift diesel filter cost was Rs. 1300/- the new filter cost is Rs. 3143/- inclusive of taxes. This coupled with the change over to semi-synthetic oil has raised the average service cost of the Swift. The 20k service of the Swift should now cost in the range of Rs. 10,000/- or upwards.

This is how the new expensive filter looks:

Attachment 972704

That was indeed a very much useful information about the filter cost in Swift. But IMHO, isn't that Swift is now considered as a premium hatch in the leagues of polo,punto,fabia,i20? While the service costs for these models are almost same or more, I still feel swift possess a low cost maintenance. If this is going to be the same for Ritz, then we can safely say that Maruti has indeed raised the costs. Ritz owners I think can comment on this.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:05   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
They have now made a habit of doing all unnecessary works like engine flush, decarbonizing and charging heavily for the same.
If anyone demands explanation, then they blames MSIL for instructing them to do so.
They have learnt the Hyundai tricks. At least their are far more M@SSes than H@SSes.

I wonder whether anybody has cross checked with Maruti. Also, I suggest you write on the service sheet No additional services without my prior approval.
Old 22nd August 2012, 01:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoguy4u View Post
T
TOTAL BILL AMOUNT - Rs.9968/-

Add engine oil to this castrol magnatec 4l for ~rs 1200.
I am seriously contemplating to get the car serviced outside mass from the next time.
P.S. - The car is very well maintained. Regularly serviced with oil change every 5000kms.
Well, The disks change for 40k is unbelievable, You say its well maintained, Even if you use the car very badly, at 40k you might change the brake pads which costs not more than Rs 1200, in your case the disks & the pads.

They gave you a bomb, Its a total rip off. Go fight for it, Send an email to higher authorities with a scanned copy of your bill.
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:57   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
But IMHO, isn't that Swift is now considered as a premium hatch in the leagues of polo,punto,fabia,i20? While the service costs for these models are almost same or more, I still feel swift possess a low cost maintenance. If this is going to be the same for Ritz, then we can safely say that Maruti has indeed raised the costs. Ritz owners I think can comment on this.
There isn't a rule that a premium hatch needs to carry premium maintenance costs with it. More so because it wasn't the same case previously with the older version. How does one justify 3x rise in the cost of a diesel filter and engine oil.
Ritz, shares the same engine as the Swift.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:20   #99
BHPian

My car (new gen SWIFT 1.2 VVT) will have to go for the 3rd free service by 10-Nov-2012. Done close to 5k kms as of now and will be 7k by nov. One of my friends who got his recent 3rd service done on his new swift petrol (1.2 VVT) says synthetic oil was used. Can anyone who has done their 3rd free service confirm this? synthetic oil is close to 3.8k as against mineral which costs just 1.2/1.4k.

Just another point - apart from the service, availability of parts is a big question mark. My front seat buckle went kaput 2 months back, I had ordered one - I haven’t received it.

Last edited by MutantX : 22nd August 2012 at 08:35.
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:25   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have a long standing doubt. Can anybody list out what exactly the MASS do for the 750/- or 900/- paid service? Is it just inspecting and topping up of fluids?
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have a long standing doubt. Can anybody list out what exactly the MASS do for the 750/- or 900/- paid service? Is it just inspecting and topping up of fluids?
They inspect the vehicle (thoroughly). They lubricate joints wherever needed. Air filter cleaning is done. They check spark plugs and clean them. They do a body wash and do waxing. This is what I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
My car (new gen SWIFT 1.2 VVT) will have to go for the 3rd free service by 10-Nov-2012. Done close to 5k kms as of now and will be 7k by nov. One of my friends who got his recent 3rd service done on his new swift petrol (1.2 VVT) says synthetic oil was used. Can anyone who has done their 3rd free service confirm this? synthetic oil is close to 3.8k as against mineral which costs just 1.2/1.4k.

Yes, synthetic oil is that much more expensive than mineral/semi-synthetic. Synthetic oil is not needed for a petrol Swift. There was a circular from MSIL stating that it recommends 5W40 synthetic oil. This circular is the basis for MASSes taking masses for a ride. The circular also states this -
'Specified oil grades can also be used. Since the cost of 5W40 grade oil is much more than specified grade, it is the choice of the customer to decide on which grade would be used. The role of the MASS would be limited to educating the customer of the advantages of the recommended grade (5W40).'
Most MASSes do no educate, but put synthetic oil stating it is recommended by MSIL without giving complete information. The circular is hung around most MASSes, but few care to read.
MSIL has create a big mess in recommended oil grades. They have a specified grade which comprises of 4-5 grades (grades mentioned in owners manual over time) and a recommended grade (which is 5W40 synthetic). So whenever any one visists a MASS, read all circulars carefully.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd August 2012 at 10:20. Reason: Back to back posts
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:28   #102
BHPian

Oh my god. Thanks Zoombiee - I guess my friend was taken for a ride. He paid close to 3.8k for the synthetic oil which included oil drain. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:40   #103
BHPian

Corporations pushing expensive products and dealers going for maximum profits with questionable charges is bound to happen as the automotive industry matures in India!

So people who want to save money and avoid unnecessary fiddling around with their cars need to get their hands dirty and acquire more knowledge

A good side effect will be more 'pride of ownership ' and better maintained cars!!
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:43   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Oh my god. Thanks Zoombiee - I guess my friend was taken for a ride. He paid close to 3.8k for the synthetic oil which included oil drain. Thanks for your feedback.
Always check your owner's manual. It contains all the information you need. In case you find the MASS is advising some thing different, ask questions, ask for circulars from MSIL.If they provide proof, please go ahead with their suggestion.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:28   #105
BHPian

10k service for swift VDI costing 10k odd is daylight robbery for sure. My Etios (p) 10k and 20k service charges were 1050 and 1788 respectively. I met a Fortuner owner at the dealer who had come for his 30k service and his bill was 7k odd. Really surprising to see Maruti ripping of customers.
heman_369 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks