Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 13:39   #1
BHPian

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

There is a general beleif that maruti cars are cheap to maintain. But i beg to differ. Was charged Rs. 9968 for servicing my Baleno and that too when i purchased the engine oil from outside. The service station in question is excell autovista, santacruz (e). Its a 40000 km service. Below is the break up of the bill:

PARTS
spark plugs (CHAMPION KP20PR-U) - 213.32(4 plugs)
gasket, cyl head cover - 122.01
gasket throttle body - 8.87
element, air cleaner - 538.67
gasket - 49.78
filter assy, fuel - 526.22
oil filter mpfi - 66.09
pad set frt disk brake - 2359.11()
coolant sb non amine - 208.89
brake fluid gc1500aa 500ml - 266.67
gear oil 2.5l - 825(!!!)
screen wash concentrate 50ml - 11.84
air intake system cleaner - 378.67
carb & injector cleaner - 283.67
injector cleaner - 401.20
polish paper 80 - 15.73
rust off 100 ml - 89.16
-------
TOTAL -- 1 6364.90

LABOUR
paid service - 900
brakes overhaul (complete) - 480
throttle body cleaning - 480
fuel injector cleaning - 480
coolant change - 160 (!!!!)
consummable check/ replacement - 45
-------
TOTAL -- 2 2545
______
TOTAL (1+2) - 8909.9

TAX - 1057.76
_______
TOTAL BILL AMOUNT - Rs.9968/-

Add engine oil to this castrol magnatec 4l for ~rs 1200.
I am seriously contemplating to get the car serviced outside mass from the next time.
P.S. - The car is very well maintained. Regularly serviced with oil change every 5000kms.
chocoguy4u is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2009, 14:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

If the car is actually in good condition, this service is a rip-off. At 40k, why would you need a complete brake overhaul and change of disks unless they were not cared for or inspected for wear and tear early in their life.

Also, what is this ? -> element, air cleaner - 538.67

The labour costs are, well, absurd to say the least.
I suggest you go shout at the dealer and write to MUL about this. Attach a scanned copy of the bill. Ridiculous.

Just for record: I got my Swift diesel diesel serviced at 40k recently and got a bill of Rs 3333 (you can add 700 bucks for paid service which got waived off in my case)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd September 2019 at 18:27. Reason: typo corrected
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2009, 14:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

You are absolutely correct MASS have started to ripoff the customers for labor charges and other small things. I think labor for small jobs is not controlled by Maruti so they add absurd amounts such as 160 rs for coolant change.

After burning my hands multiple times at MASS for my old M 800 I noticed that another few services and total bill will be more then worth of the car itself so decided no more MASS from next time and found another garage nearby based on suggestions from T-BHP members.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th February 2009 at 14:16.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:24   #4
BHPian

quite surprising.. bcos the max i have paid for my baleno was about 4K(more bcos of magnatec) ..otherwise about 2.8K to 3.2K.. i also give it to a mass(sathnur, yelahanka)
but generally speaking mass is a little expensive than other un-authorised but good maruti service stations.. i normally my father gives my zen to this guy and when i give i give it to mass... and price diff is quite high !!
Old 26th February 2009, 14:25   #5
BHPian

I think the labour charges are normal. This is what standard costs are.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

The MASS have started to become unscrupulous, replacing parts that do not need replacements. Other than that, I dont find anything expensive in your service bill except for the shocking 160 for coolant replacement.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If the car is actually in good condition, this service is a rip-off. At 40k, why would you need a complete brake overhaul and change of disks unless they were not cared for or inspected for wear and tear early in their life.

Also, what is this ? -> element, air cleaner - 538.67

The labour costs are, well, absurd to say the least.
I suggest you go shout at the dealer and write to MUL about this. Attach a scanned copy of the bill. Ridiculous.

Just for record: I got my seift diesel serviced at 40k recently and got a bill of Rs 3333 (you can add 700 bucks for paid service which got waived off in my case)
Brake overhaul was nothing but removing the wheels and cleaning the brakes. And i was told that labour for brake pads change was included in it. Element, air cleaner was the change of air filter. Car gets serviced every 5000 kms at mass. For the first 30000 kms at Vitesse, Prabhadevi and the previous two services at Autovista . I am surely writing to MUL. But before that want to know where i was ripped for, which will help me make my case stronger.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th September 2019 at 08:15. Reason: Typos corrected
Old 26th February 2009, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Pads Eddy, Pads, not the Discs; they changed the pads. And "complete brake overhaul" would be basically referring to the charges for cleaning out the discs & the pad replacement.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoguy4u View Post
carb & injector cleaner - 283.67
injector cleaner - 401.20
Looks like you've been charged twice for what should essentially be the same thing.

Quote:
air intake system cleaner - 378.67
throttle body cleaning - 480
fuel injector cleaning - 480
All these BG treatments (throttle-body cleaning, coolant flush, decarbonizing) are standard, not to mention expensive ! They're usually pushed down your throat with the promise of miracle results - you can give them a pass...

Weren't these treatments mentioned in the initial estimate before the service ?
Old 26th February 2009, 14:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The MASS have started to become unscrupulous, replacing parts that do not need replacements. Other than that, I dont find anything expensive in your service bill except for the shocking 160 for coolant replacement.
Don't you find brake pads at rs. 2360 expensive?? And how about gear oil at rs. 330 a litre or air intake system cleaner, carb &injectoc cleaner or injector cleaner. I am damn sure they did not use these things. I dont even know what an air intake system cleaner is?
And dont you find a bill for Rs.11000 (incl. oil) expensive for a 40000kms service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Looks like you've been charged twice for what should essentially be the same thing.

All these BG treatments (throttle-body cleaning, coolant flush, decarbonizing) are standard, not to mention expensive ! They're usually pushed down your throat with the promise of miracle results - you can give them a pass...

Weren't these treatments mentioned in the initial estimate before the service ?
One was for throttle body cleaning and the second for injector cleaning.
I was told that they are necessary and mentioned in the user manual. He was also pushing me for engine decarb. But had done it at 30000 kms so refused. But have to say he tried his level best.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2009 at 14:01. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:41   #11
BHPian

choco i think you should complaint it from maruti website. I did it for my 6 months SX4 which has rattling sound. They corrected some but still some noise is there from dash board which does not come always.Service center is following up to close the case
Old 26th February 2009, 15:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you find brake pads at rs. 2360 expensive?? ?
They are SGP, they will be expensive, but will last twice the distance/time as MGP. I am sure 40Ks is not the right time to change them. But dont you think it is a small price to pay to make sure your brakes will work fine ?

Quote:
And how about gear oil at rs. 330 a litre or air intake system cleaner, carb &injectoc cleaner or injector cleaner. I am damn sure they did not use these things.
I am sure they would have told you exactly what they are going to do & how much approximately it will cost. Why did you not stop them then. If you are sure, they have not done these things, do not pay the bill. Ask for all the old parts that they have replaced & make sure they put them in the boxes that the new ones have come in. Check the MRP on these boxes & compare with your bill.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Very true. My first paid service bill came to Rs. 4500 for my Alto Lxi!!! It was just a regular service! I felt totally ripped off! Next time for sure the car wont see MASS for service again!!
Old 26th February 2009, 16:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Choco - the brake pads is expensive but not by much. OHC genuine pads bought from putside is around Rs 800-900 per side - so thats Rs1600-1800 for a set. I am sure the dealer prices are more..

I think where the rip off has happened is in the amount of parts/work done which probably was not necessary at this service interval - but you can still verify that with the dealer whether he has done anything in excess/or without the actual part needing a replacement

however - the fact that IN GENERAL , Maruti service is cheaper REMAINS. I think you should see the service bills of some other brands before making a sweeping statement like that

Lastly - i think it could be with the slowdown in the new car sales and margin pressures, some unscruplous dealers might be trying to inflate service bills.. as a customer, do demand your rights in terms of
1) explanation on work done
2) all replaced parts
3) you can even ask for the empty oil cans
4) normal 40k schedule of work as prescribed by manufacturer

Last edited by narayan : 26th February 2009 at 16:02.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
There is a general beleif that maruti cars are cheap to maintain. But i beg to differ. Was charged Rs. 9968 for servicing my Baleno and that too when i purchased the engine oil from outside. The service station in question is excell autovista, santacruz (e). Its a 40000 km service. Below is the break up of the bill:
P.S. - The car is very well maintained. Regularly serviced with oil change every 5000kms.
Well from what you have mentioned - I feel you've been clearly cheated on the tax front... The spares/consumables are incl of all taxes. You are liable to pay only service tax on the labour charges. BTW what this "consummable check/ replacement - 45" aren't they supposed to do it as part of paid service??? Same thing for coolant change.... make it a point to ask the guy who is servicing to bring out all the consumables/parts & keep it in your boot and demand the replaced parts back...

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2009 at 14:02. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.

Most Viewed