Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 13:44   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Could you please share the number of the TSM in the forum, it would be an helpful tool against erring service centres.
Also could you please share what all work is included in the paid service cost.
Thanks.
Each region will have its own TSM, and the contact number of the respective TSM will be displayed in the ASC clearly. Hence you can contact the person in charge depending upon the service center.

Well what is included in the paid service is difficult to say, but what you cannot be charged for in addition to paid service charges are

Battery check
Brake cleaning
Brake bleeding
Consumable replacement
Coolant change
Electrical check
General check

And similar jobs. There is a service and maintenance chart in the user manual which states whatever is required to be done. All those jobs cannot be charged separately. Hence the service booklet is the best reference to know what is to be done and what can't be charged extra.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 21:41   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Well what is included in the paid service is difficult to say, but what you cannot be charged for in addition to paid service charges are

Battery check
Brake cleaning
Brake bleeding
Consumable replacement
Coolant change
Electrical check
General check

And similar jobs. There is a service and maintenance chart in the user manual which states whatever is required to be done. All those jobs cannot be charged separately. Hence the service booklet is the best reference to know what is to be done and what can't be charged extra.
Hi

Would one not be charged for coolant and brake oil change over and above the the labour charge? (in addition to the engine oil change of course) Arent consumables charged separately in addition to labour charges?

For e.g. can you list what could be the approx paid service charges for a Alto/Wagon r at 20,000kms? Is it a package of a certain amount which will include all the checks/fluid replacements or is it just the total labour charge and consumables are extra?

Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:45   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post

Hi

Would one not be charged for coolant and brake oil change over and above the the labour charge? (in addition to the engine oil change of course) Arent consumables charged separately in addition to labour charges?

For e.g. can you list what could be the approx paid service charges for a Alto/Wagon r at 20,000kms? Is it a package of a certain amount which will include all the checks/fluid replacements or is it just the total labour charge and consumables are extra?

Thanks
From what I have seen (been long since I visited a MASS), there is a fixed component - paid service about 2500 which is basically the labour charge. In addition to that there will be component/fluid charges. In all, for a Alto, 20k service should be approx 9-8k.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:37   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
From what I have seen (been long since I visited a MASS), there is a fixed component - paid service about 2500 which is basically the labour charge. In addition to that there will be component/fluid charges. In all, for a Alto, 20k service should be approx 9-8k.
Sorry mate, your estimation is more than what they quote. I paid 3800 for the same. If I add gear oil cost, it will come to 4500. Wheel alignment will cost another 300 for the latest equipment and 200 for the smal shops. So it will be maximum 5k.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:50   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with Audioholic's comment above.
However own an Alto and the 20/40 K services were in range of 5-7 K. The reason was addition of smaller charges under 'labour' by MASS, though few of the tasks mentioned in that are part of 20/40/60 K service.
I am not sure of the exact amount but the service charge for Alto for these major services are ~ Rs. 1200. Then add cost of engine & gear oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs & fuel filter.

Also I had got clutch and accelerator cable changed as a preventive measure during my 40 K service.

Alignment I get it done outside usually.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:03   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry mate, your estimation is more than what they quote. I paid 3800 for the same. If I add gear oil cost, it will come to 4500. Wheel alignment will cost another 300 for the latest equipment and 200 for the smal shops. So it will be maximum 5k.
5k is what they 'inflate' the bills to for a minor service! 20k kms is usually a major service where a number of components are replaced - Engine oil, Fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, transmission oil, brake oil etc. Don't remember the exact break-up but wheel alignment and balancing with weights alone come to around 600/700.

Let me try to find a bill in my circle/family, must be a little old though, since I have never taken my own cars to MASS after the warranty expired.

Anyway, a good FNG is a much better option once you are out of your warranty for MS.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:49   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
5k is what they 'inflate' the bills to for a minor service! 20k kms is usually a major service where a number of components are replaced - Engine oil, Fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, transmission oil, brake oil etc. Don't remember the exact break-up but wheel alignment and balancing with weights alone come to around 600/700..
I repeat, I paid 3.8k after changing every fluid, filter, coolant except gear oil and I was talking about the major service itself. In fact they charged 250 for caliper pin greasing which was again not a bug thing(my FNG does that for free) and also dumped 100 bucks worth windshield concentrate. If not the bill would be 3.5k which is really not expensive.

For a 10k kms service I paid
Labour - 900
Oil - 1200 (SX4 takes 4.2l of oil)
Oil filter - 150
Some other minor things

Total bill came to around 2500. So thats the ideal service cost if you be hard on them.

Last edited by audioholic : 17th December 2013 at 12:53.
Old 17th December 2013, 14:04   #308
BHPian

How reliable are the ones like Carnation, myTVS, Bosch and the other non-dealer types when it comes to servicing cars like VW, Fiat etc. My VW workshop is fleecing me and the bills are astronomical.
Old 17th December 2013, 14:49   #309
BHPian

Voted yes on two counts
1) The service bills have increased due to inflation and other factors
2) Service centers pushing for items that are not needed by citing Maruti recommendation. On MSM and other service stations, their primary focus is making money.

It helps to be an informed customer who goes through the manual before leaving the vehicle for service to understand what is recommended and only agree to things that are necessary. The tricks used by them are

a) Force Synthetic stating that it is Maruti's recommendation and good for the vehicle
b) Recommend EGR valve cleaning
c) Brake pad cleaning
d) Engine bay cleaning, polishing, interior cleaning (the SA gets a small cut for selling all these value added services from 3M or Wurths),
e) go for AMC - AMC with MSM is good in the first year but afterwards it is a big loot

Ideally I would like to go out to a good private garage over MASS after warranty expires but extended warranty forces one to stick with MASS for at least 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
How reliable are the ones like Carnation, myTVS, Bosch and the other non-dealer types when it comes to servicing cars like VW, Fiat etc. My VW workshop is fleecing me and the bills are astronomical.
Though this is out of thread, it depends on the outlet. Have decent experience with
a) Bhagavathi autoworks (MyTVS) at Medavakkam (business oriented but good customer service attitude) and
b) Ignite: (excellent in service related to mechanicals but their car wash leaves a lot to be desired)
Old 17th December 2013, 15:15   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K
Ignite: (excellent in service related to mechanicals but their car wash leaves a lot to be desired)
I believe the car-wash is not done at Ignite (it is outsourced to some other car-wash). If you find the wash not upto the mark, get just the service done with them and the wash can be done by you at some other dedicated car-wash.
Old 17th December 2013, 17:10   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I believe the car-wash is not done at Ignite (it is outsourced to some other car-wash). If you find the wash not upto the mark, get just the service done with them and the wash can be done by you at some other dedicated car-wash.
True. That is what Raghav mentioned. The reason I mentioned it in my post is that people expect a service center like cleaning and ends up getting disappointed. Hence I usually tell my friends to do the service at Ignite and get it washed at a good car wash.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 17th December 2013 at 17:12.
Old 18th December 2013, 07:14   #312
BHPian

Quote:
I repeat, I paid 3.8k after changing every fluid, filter, coolant except gear oil and I was talking about the major service itself. In fact they charged 250 for caliper pin greasing which was again not a bug thing(my FNG does that for free) and also dumped 100 bucks worth windshield concentrate. If not the bill would be 3.5k which is really not expensive.

For a 10k kms service I paid
Labour - 900
Oil - 1200 (SX4 takes 4.2l of oil)
Oil filter - 150
Some other minor things

Total bill came to around 2500. So thats the ideal service cost if you be hard on them.
Hi

Just to be clear, is the INR 2500 just the labour charge for the 20k service? If yes, is it to pay for the labour for all the Tightening, inspecting, lubricating etc for the engine, ignition, transmission, brakes etc that they also do at the 10k servicing, with the only difference being that the 10k one is free and hence one does not have to pay for the labour.

Of course one has to additionally pay for all consumables like engine oil, coolant,transmission oil, brake oil all of which are additional replacements at 20k

If thats the case then the overall bill for a alto/waggie at 20k service should be about 4.5k.

Is the brake bleeding/cleaning etc separately required (and charged) since at 20k all brake components should be inspected with only the fluid being changed. This should be covered in the 2.5k odd labour charge right?

thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 10:44   #313
BANNED

Quote:
Just to be clear, is the INR 2500 just the labour charge for the 20k service? If yes, is it to pay for the labour for all the Tightening, inspecting, lubricating etc for the engine, ignition, transmission, brakes etc that they also do at the 10k servicing, with the only difference being that the 10k one is free and hence one does not have to pay for the labour.
No I guess it will be ~ Rs 1000 for labour charges for all the work that they have done on your car - servicing it I mean. In 10K which being a free service the labour charges are not added but from 20K you start getting higher bills.

In a 10K service labour will be charged if some repair is requested specialty by the owner.

Quote:
If thats the case then the overall bill for a alto/waggie at 20k service should be about 4.5k.
Expect the bill to be around 4-5K.

Here are the approximate charges for a 20K service of an Alto LXi.

Oil (3L - Mineral) = Rs ~ 700.
Oil Filter = ~ 150
Air Filter = ~ 200
Gear oil (75W90) = Rs 750
Coolant = Rs 200 (I'm not sure of this)
Spark plug = 200 (For four plug)
Brake fluid = Rs ~ 300
Labour = Rs ~1000
Fuel injector cleaning = Rs ~500 (Not required)

Quote:
Is the brake bleeding/cleaning etc separately required (and charged) since at 20k all brake components should be inspected with only the fluid being changed. This should be covered in the 2.5k odd labour charge right?
The brake fluid bleeding is covered in the labour and I don't think it is charged separately.

The fluid is only changed. You will have to specify for bleeding the fluid.

Anurag.
Old 18th December 2013, 10:58   #314
Senior - BHPian

This is what I paid at MSM for the 48 month service last June:

Spark plug NGK Rs 327.50
Air Cleaner element Rs 170.00
Oil filter Rs 78.00
Brake fluid Rs 262.00
Coolant Rs 410.00
Gear oil (Shell) Rs 691.00
Misc Rs 151.00
Paid service Rs 1220.00
Brake overhaul Rs 800.00
Electrical check-up Rs 200.00
Interior cleaning (optional) Rs 750.00
VAT and Service tax Rs 669.50

Total at MSM Rs 5729.00
Shel HX-7 (provided by me) Rs 1325.00

Grand total Rs 7054.00
Old 18th December 2013, 11:37   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Oil (3L - Mineral) = Rs ~ 700.
Oil Filter = ~ 150
Air Filter = ~ 200
Gear oil (75W90) = Rs 750
Coolant = Rs 200 (I'm not sure of this)
Spark plug = 200 (For four plug)
Brake fluid = Rs ~ 300
Labour = Rs ~1000
Fuel injector cleaning = Rs ~500 (Not required)***
The brake fluid bleeding is covered in the labour and I don't think it is charged separately.

The fluid is only changed. You will have to specify for bleeding the fluid.

Anurag.
Thanks, when you say fuel injector cleaning is not required is it one of those things I should keep out of the job card at the 20k service? (I have a Alto k10 vxi

Also, pardon my ignorance, in addition to replacing the brake fluid, does 'brake bleeding' mean draining the any remaining fluid from the entire braking system itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is what I paid at MSM for the 48 month service last June:

Spark plug NGK Rs 327.50
Air Cleaner element Rs 170.00
Oil filter Rs 78.00
Brake fluid Rs 262.00
Coolant Rs 410.00
Gear oil (Shell) Rs 691.00
Misc Rs 151.00
Paid service Rs 1220.00
Brake overhaul Rs 800.00
Electrical check-up Rs 200.00
Interior cleaning (optional) Rs 750.00
VAT and Service tax Rs 669.50

Total at MSM Rs 5729.00
Shel HX-7 (provided by me) Rs 1325.00

Grand total Rs 7054.00
When you say brake overhaul does it mean replacement of the master/slave cylinder?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks