Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 14:53   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

I got my Swift Vxi for service at 97500 kms. Total bill 3943/- including throttle body cleaning for whistling sound. Used normal Engine oil this time.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 15:15   #512
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Today I took my 2012 Maruti alto lxi for a 20000 kms 4th service which will be the first paid service. I knew for a fact that the service station charges premium for oil hence I took my own supply of engine oil, transmission oil and coolant for replacement as the 20k service needs the same to be replaced.

Now I am thinking if i should go to authorised or get it done at a local shop.
Is your car under warranty or out of warranty?

This is same with MASS that I visit, they do not allow the customer to get their own parts / oil etc. It HAS to be bought from them.

I don't blame them actually, if there is a problem with the car later on they'll be blamed and would need to honor warranty. If you get your own stuff and get it changed under the "Scheduled Servicing" they'll put a remark saying customer bought the oil from outside.

So to avoid all these hassles, they do not allow the customer to get their own stuff.

If your car is under warranty, get the car service there and use mineral oil which is cheaper. MASS will push for synthetic oil. Be careful.

My advice, stick to MASS to your car is under warranty, later on get it service outside.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th May 2015 at 15:18.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:20   #513
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the service intervals, I actually doubt that Maruti will honor the extended warranty (if any).
Old 5th June 2015, 16:14   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Shouldn't the fourth service have been done earlier - at the end of two years or 20k kms ?

Assuming your car is out of warranty, please take to a local garage and get the regular servicing done. It'll be cheaper, quicker and you get to pick your own lubes. Look up the directory section for recommendations.

PS: Please ensure that you buy all genuine MGP filters from the authorised Maruti MGP sellers
It is recommended to do all your service at MASS. While, the cost of the spare parts cannot be fiddled with, the only thing you have to take care is about the genuineness of the advice the service center gives. There are service centers that don't leave a chance for replacement of a part but there are also many MASS out there who do not do that. I have been giving my SX4 (2007 Aug) only at MASS and there are times when i ask them to change a particular spare and they insist that the current spare is good to run. It is important that you have to spend enough time to first search for a good service center and once you find it, spend time with the center at least a couple of services. Spending time while your vehicle is getting serviced allows the service center to understand your expectations and on the contrary, also helps you understand if the service center you choose is right for your car and you. Hope this helps.
Old 6th June 2015, 10:13   #515
BHPian

HI All

FIrst of all let me thank you all for all the valuable response to my query. Yes I do agree the points mentioned . Infact last week I had taken the car for service at castrol pitshop near my area. the entire service which included the below costed 1370/-

1. body wash
2. body vacuuming
3. brake pads cleaning
4. rear bearring greasing
5. wheel rotation.
6 engine oil change
7 gear oil change
8. coolent change
9. oil filter change
10. air filter change

I had questions for points6, 7 and 8.
I had used servo multigrade 20W40 oil which the mechanic said should be replaced in 5000kms as said will not last till 10000 kms
The recommended quantity of gear oil was 2.2 litres he ended up putting 2 lites first and then when i insisted he put 2.4 litres. hope this should not create an issue.
the water which was mixed with coolent was drinking water which is available in 20 litre cans and not distilled water. should i top it up with distilled water. The collent used was of GUlf make. but the mechanic said should be replaced in 5000kms as said will not last till 20000 kms as he feels gulf coolent is only suitable for trucks and volvos n bigger engines not for small cars.
Kindly enlighten me on the same Overall my experience was not as good as showroom as it took a total of 5.5hrs to do this job and the staff was concentrating on too many vehicles at a time.

Regards

Sushil

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 6th June 2015 at 10:14. Reason: addition
Old 6th June 2015, 10:27   #516
BANNED

Quote:
6 engine oil change
7 gear oil change
8. coolent change
9. oil filter change
10. air filter change
Where did you buy the parts /oils from? Aren't they from an MGP stockist?

If they were bought at the FNG then IMO you haven't gone the right way. You should have bought OEM stuff as prescribed for the car.

6. Engine Oil - It can last 10K kms without a sweat. MGO - 15W40 grade.

7. Gear Oil - 75W90. Interval is 10K IIRC. Shell is the preferred brand i guess. If you can, drain the excess amount of oil filed. It could be harmful.

8. Coolant SG it is a non - amine - Better to be mixed with distilled water as it doesn't let scale to be formed in the piping.

For 9 & 10, you could have bought a Service Kit for your Alto that's available at the stockist.

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th June 2015 at 10:32.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 21:16   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Where did you buy the parts /oils from? Aren't they from an MGP stockist?
Hi Anurag

Good day

Thanks for the valuable inputs, What you said is right. I should have looked into all those things . but shall keep them in mind. Now that I have not and am not planning to get the vehicle services for the next 10 k kms and do an oil change I am just wondering if anyting should go wrong. My only worry is the oil filter and the air filter. Just in case they are non OEM stuff can I revert back to the OEM at next service.? Will it cause any major damage ?
One of the reasons I did not think about these aspects is that I grew up and learnt driving in my dad's 1971 Fiat 1100d, and while changing the oil filter we had never enquired about the same bt still it was with us for 25 years. To expect such a long life from an alto, I do not know whether would be setting up up too much of expectations. BUt just wanted to know.
And last but not the least Thanks brother for enlightening me on the availability of service kit. I newver know such a thing existed. awaiting response from you soon

Regards
Sushil

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th June 2015 at 21:25. Reason: Fixing Quotes, please do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2015, 23:22   #518
BHPian

I recently got my 2007 sx4 serviced at MASS and they used synthetic oil as standard. When asked for the reason, I am told that they are now using synthetic for all their cars that come for service. While I am happy they are doing this but would want to know if you have had a similar experience

Last edited by joelchandra : 11th June 2015 at 23:25.
Old 11th June 2015, 23:23   #519
BANNED

Quote:
My only worry is the oil filter and the air filter. Just in case they are non OEM stuff can I revert back to the OEM at next service.? Will it cause any major damage ?
You can. No issues. Did the oil filter match the OEM design? Was it fit correctly? What makes is it?

You can buy OEM air and oil filter now also and change it. Just the extra expense that's all BUT what you get in exchange is peace of mind. Do think about it.
Old 13th June 2015, 10:43   #520
BHPian

Morning fellas,

Please find below the job card issued by a MASS in Pune for 4th service (Paid) of 2013 Wagon-R. Car is still in warranty and has clocked 18,500 kms.

Have specifically asked them to refrain from adding additives and windshield washer fluid.

Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-image-1.jpg  

Old 13th June 2015, 12:56   #521
BHPian

I was charged Rs.10500 for the 4th service of my 2013 Swift VDi by Popular,Kochi. Oil used was fully synthetic mobil.

Labour alone came to Rs.2595

Had specifically told them not to do anything that the service manual does not recommend, but still they did engine room painting.
Old 14th June 2015, 08:06   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarsarat View Post
I was charged Rs.10500 for the 4th service of my 2013 Swift VDi by Popular,Kochi. Oil used was fully synthetic mobil.

Had specifically told them not to do anything that the service manual does not recommend, but still they did engine room painting.
In reply to my previous post #521, My total bill was INR 7200/- for 4th service.

Ratio = Spares : labor = 3 : 2

* Was there any requirement of painting the engine room ?
* How much did the job cost ?
* Did you ask for a cost waiver since you did not ask for it ?
* Did they confirm with you before proceeding further with this job ?
* How is the job quality, did they remove all the required parts from the engine bay before spraying ? If yes, how is the re-fitting quality ? Any unwanted noises from engine bay ?
Old 14th June 2015, 08:52   #523
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Please find below the job card issued by a MASS in Pune for 4th service (Paid) of 2013 Wagon-R. Car is still in warranty and has clocked 18,500 kms.

Have specifically asked them to refrain from adding additives and windshield washer fluid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
In reply to my previous post #521, My total bill was INR 7200/- for 4th service.
A few questions to you:

1) Did you ask for brake cleaning and caliper greasing?

2) Is it compulsory for Wheel alignment and balancing to be done at MASS?

3) Were you having issues with power delivery or sluggishness?

The next time you visit them please ask them to give a proper printed bill along with 'correct' spellings.

"Clining" and "Grissing" is a bit too much for a MASS. Looks like the bill was issued by an FNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarsarat View Post
I was charged Rs.10500 for the 4th service of my 2013 Swift VDi by Popular, Kochi. Oil used was fully synthetic mobil.

1) Did the car meet with any accident?

2) When the job card was prepared did they write Engine compartment painting?

Before taking delivery of the car from MASS, did you sign the card and when you found that the painting had been done in spite of your non approval, did you not make noise and ask it to be removed from the bill?

Can you post a picture of the bill?
Old 14th June 2015, 08:59   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
2) Is it compulsory for Wheel alignment and balancing to be done at MASS?
In a way Yes. If you decline the Wheel Alignment and Balancing job during periodic service, they make an entry in the remark section that "Customer declined WA and WB".

Happened to me more than once as I get this done outside. May/May not have implications when you have issues with steering, suspension, unever wear in future and want to claim via warranty.
Old 14th June 2015, 09:21   #525
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In a way Yes. If you decline the Wheel Alignment and Balancing job during periodic service, they make an entry in the remark section that "Customer declined WA and WB".

Happened to me more than once as I get this done outside. May/May not have implications when you have issues with steering, suspension, unever wear in future and want to claim via warranty.
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen that comment or any entry of that sort being done in the bill or even the system for my Swift.

My Ertiga gets it done at MASS but in my Swift, I do it only at even intervals like 20K, 40K rest tones it is done outside.

Could be depending on the SA who is in charge of the car as to how the billing works out.

Most Viewed