Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 22:10   #691
BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Off late, my SX4 front suspension was making a lot of kat kat noise. Took her to FNG and asked the guy to first road test it. In 5 minutes of driving he advised to replace balljoints, and some more front suspension parts. He advised me on buying spares from open market instead of MGP.
I wanted to stick to MGP instead. However shock of life came in when I was told at MGP shop that maruti doesn't sell ball joints and other parts separately and instead I would have to buy complete rack assembly for 34000 Rs. Just drove 2 minutes further and bought non-MGP parts at peanuts.
As told to me by multiple garages during the process, the maker of these parts, some QH is the OEM supplier of MGP, however due to contractual agreement, the parts have a bit of different look.
Not sure if spending 34K would have been wiser TCO wise but 34K upfront was absurd.
BTW after the replacement, car is noiseless now.

Last edited by sindabad.sailor : 24th May 2017 at 22:12.
sindabad.sailor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 22:34   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
shock of life came in when I was told at MGP shop that maruti doesn't sell ball joints and other parts separately and instead I would have to buy complete rack assembly for 34000 Rs. .
That's wierd. I don't think even Merc does this. Very "un-maruti" like . Never heard of this before. My Santro needed a ball-joint change and Hyundai also doesn't sell just that. But they had me buy the whole lower arm. Some 1200/-odd. I did it. But whole rack is taking things too far dude. There is some confusion here.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 22:50   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
All brake cleaning is a checklist point to be taken up at the 3rd Free service. But many A.S.S skip those at that time and bang the price on us.
Are you sure it is a checklist point in 3rd free service? I had my 3rd free service just now, and was unable to find this item.
Old 25th May 2017, 01:05   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Off late, my SX4 front suspension was making a lot of kat kat noise. Took her to FNG and asked the guy to first road test it. In 5 minutes of driving he advised to replace balljoints, and some more front suspension parts. He advised me on buying spares from open market instead of MGP.
I wanted to stick to MGP instead. However shock of life came in when I was told at MGP shop that maruti doesn't sell ball joints and other parts separately and instead I would have to buy complete rack assembly for 34000 Rs. Just drove 2 minutes further and bought non-MGP parts at peanuts.
As told to me by multiple garages during the process, the maker of these parts, some QH is the OEM supplier of MGP, however due to contractual agreement, the parts have a bit of different look.
Not sure if spending 34K would have been wiser TCO wise but 34K upfront was absurd.
BTW after the replacement, car is noiseless now.
May I know which component you needed?? I am posting snapshot of all suspension and steering components.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-1.jpg

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-2.jpg

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-3.jpg

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-4.jpg

BTW Marutis of this generation had this issue-they had way too less child parts and mostly aggregates. My friend owns a Ritz ZXi with some noise in his steering/suspension. There are no child parts and he was given an estimate of 30k.

This issue was later rectified in cars like Swift 2nd gen etc.

In future, you can always ask me about spares and their availability in this thread: MGP Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Are you sure it is a checklist point in 3rd free service? I had my 3rd free service just now, and was unable to find this item.
I also couldn't find this cleaning job. Am I missing something here??

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-5.jpg

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-6.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 25th May 2017 at 01:15.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 21:39   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's service costs are definitely on a rise, but I am glad to see that they are trying to bring down the costs of spares and consumables for the customer.

Case 1: 0W20 Fully synthetic engine oil priced at Rs. 1200 for the can which is MGO labelled, whereas the same can without the MGO label costs approximately Rs. 2700.

More details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3815971

Case 2: I use Liqui Moly's Interior cleaning foam, since it works great on tough stains on carpet etc. The one I bought from Amazon had MRP of Rs. 520, and is usually sold at Rs.450. The exact same product, with the MGA logo carries MRP of Rs. 370.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-20170522_171246.jpg

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-20170522_171314.jpg

These are small things, but it is really nice to know that someone is trying to bring the ownership costs down. I know this isn't applicable in all cases, and there are some cases where MGPs are expensive.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 13:50   #696
BHPian

A Chart showing the normal perodic service cost for almost all Maruti Vehicles.

All services from 20,000 km to 1,10,000 km covered.

10,000 km (Third Service not seen, but that's just an oil change without labour.)

This includes both labour and parts (break-up given).

Cost includes SDT usage, Brake inspection and cleaning, EGR Cleaning, Washing and Tyre rotation.

All prices inclusive of Taxes

Wheel Balancing, and alignment extra as they are optional jobs.

Source - Indus Motors, Trivandrum, Venpalavattom Service Center.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-img_20170528_1231502.jpg  

Last edited by Ramon : 28th May 2017 at 14:02.
Ramon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 01:10   #697
BANNED

From what I can interpret above, the price difference between the Petrol and Diesel service cost is HUGE. Almost double in few cases and the 1.6 S cross pricing is bordering on the VAG territory.

This is unlike a few manufacturers such as Ford which have a very similar cost of ownership for both fuels. In case of Maruti say a swift, there's a constant difference of 4-5k in every service. In the long run of ownership such as 5 years and 50,000 kms it would be important to account for the extra 25-30k that would be needed for the Diesel. And Maruti already classically has about a lac of difference in pricing. So that's a substantial difference in total cost of ownership when you combine the higher ownership. Maruti is the largest automaker, when you consider all this, no wonder Petrol is making a comeback :P
Old 26th June 2017, 11:59   #698
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting at MSM Chennai for my Alto to be serviced. Estimate for 8th year service Rs 5k (includes gear oil, brake fluid, brake overhaul, coolant replacement). I am supplying the engine oil.

Clutch overhaul Rs 7.5k approx. I think final bill will be around 15k.

To be fair this will be the highest bill in 8 years. All bills so far have been around 4-5 k.

Last edited by Gansan : 26th June 2017 at 12:00.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 22:03   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Clutch overhaul Rs 7.5k approx.
Isn't this a bit too expensive?? I mean if you change the clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing, clutch cable and flywheel, the total parts cost still won't cross 4k. Charging 3500 for removing gearbox is daylight robbery.

At my MASS, the cost of clutch overhauling of a Ritz petrol didn't cross Rs. 4500.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 07:09   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Isn't this a bit too expensive?? I mean if you change the clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing, clutch cable and flywheel, the total parts cost still won't cross 4k. Charging 3500 for removing gearbox is daylight robbery.

At my MASS, the cost of clutch overhauling of a Ritz petrol didn't cross Rs. 4500.

Regards,
Shashi
Labor rates in my city too have gone up. I think it costs somewhere around 2.5k to remove and refit gearbox of my SX4. The paid service expense itself has reached almost 2k if I include taxes. It is fine with me if things end there on the labor front. But then they continue charging for brake cleaning, caliper greasing, consumable charge and what not. If we put up an argument they remove it. But same story repeats next time.

They have surely lost the low cost of maintenance tag to Ford and Toyota I believe. I am happy getting the service done at an FNG whose owner I know and trust.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 09:38   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Regards,
Shashi
The labor charged in the bill is Rs 2720 for clutch and Rs 572 for differential side oil seal. Definitely more than the parts cost which is about Rs 2500. I had no idea about other MASS because I had never gone to any other place. This is a Maruti owned and operated workshop, so I always trust them. The SAs are known to me and slip in something like "AC vent cleaning" once in a while and I humor them along occassionally! But in this case the labor is more than the parts cost!

I thought all MASS had standardized price lists? Is that not so and they charge according to different cities? Are the rates different even among various MASS in Chennai itself? Can any others comment?

The total bill was Rs 14800, not including engine oil which was supplied by me. This after waiver of wheel alignment / wheel balancing for which I gave coupons ( insurance renewal gift) and a 5% discount on remaining amount. I did not ask for any discount, it was applied by the SA's superior! May be guilty consciousness, who knows!

Last edited by Gansan : 1st July 2017 at 09:55.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:45   #702
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes.

My only experience is with my dad's aging 2005 Swift.
Recently, parts had begun to fail due to wear and tear or age. The car doesn't see much running and has run 52k kms in just over 12 years.

Few months ago, the engine thermostat had to be replaced and the last annual service had lot of small bits and pieces to be replaced along with a full service for which the bill was 7k.

This year was a shocker and add to that the GST .
The clutch was almost dead and had to be replaced along with the rear struts. The full annual service was also to be done with this although it is a month early. As per the schedule, the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, coolant , gearbox oil had to be replaced as well which was decided against for this service since the car sees very less running.
The bill estimate is at 16k. I haven't taken delivery nor seen the bill yet. However, I asked the SA and he said the tax is contributing almost 2k. It is 24% on parts and 18% on labour as per the new GST.

Just hope the work done is good so the car can be used for few more years.
Can someone confirm the tax rates?

Last edited by tharian : 3rd July 2017 at 12:49.
Old 4th July 2017, 08:01   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Voted yes.
Attaching the bill for the 12th year service for Swift Lxi.
Parts replaced were the clutch set and the rear struts.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-65e818c61fbf464aa109542b9890c868.jpg  

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-973a8ce554434935ad07fa833686b5eb.jpg  

Old 11th October 2017, 10:39   #704
BHPian

Voted yes. However I am on the borderline. I think a few tweaks could make me sway towards no.

I recently got my A-Star serviced at Surakshaa Bommanahalli and paid the below for labour including taxes :

1. Paid service : Rs.1994
2. Brake cleaning : Rs.620
3. Radiator hose changing : Rs.433

As always I stay with the car throughout the service and I am ok with item 1 based on what I observed. Two boys were assigned to my car and they were open to checking few specific things I mentioned. I did not find them being rough and tough with my car and they worked at a brisk yet peaceful pace despite answering my questions patiently. It is a different story that they gifted one scratch on the fender and another on the front bumper.
I do not let them wash the car or clean the interiors so got a discount of Rs.350 which is a good gesture indeed.

Item 2 has me confused. I do not understand why they charge extra for cleaning the brakes! It is a basic task.

I was with the car when item 3 was taken up. The job took all of 15mins and one person. It involved changing the radiator hose that connects the top of the radiator to the top of the engine block. The hose itself cost Rs.66.

Abolishing item 2 and reducing item 3 will see my sway towards voting a "No".

OT : I was told that the gear oil change has an interval of 48m/40K Km while I was under the impression that it is 24m/20K Km. The manual mentions it as 24m so I insisted and got it changed but would appreciate if someone can confirm.

Here is a breakup. All rates are inclusive of taxes :
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-capture.jpg

@tharian,
Any idea what item 2, 3 and 4 in the labor section of first image of the bill you posted mean?

Last edited by rajathv8 : 11th October 2017 at 10:52.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:20   #705
BHPian

Here is a table that lists the amount spent on brake cleaning and caliper greasing so far :
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-capture.jpg

It is interesting to note that Benaka motors charge significantly less for the same item.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks