Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2017, 13:39   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
It is interesting to note that Benaka motors charge significantly less for the same item.
This is because Surakshaa car care is a Dealer ASC while Benaka motors is not. Benaka as I know is only a MASS.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...workshops.html

Quote:
4. Maruti Authorised Service Stations: In simple terms, these are FNGs, with Maruti's authorisation. Categorised as A, B, C & D depending on their performance, feedback, equipment list, etc.
Positives:
- Labor rates are the cheapest.
- Usually don't make a fuss about customer standing near the car, and they often lack a swanky customer lounge
- Small jobs like SDT checkup aren't charged. Lesser people means you can often make friends with key people and that gives a huge benefit.
- No useless services offered, or useless bill inflation
- Don't usually make a fuss if you bring your own oil.

Negatives:
- Customer lounge isn't that great.
- Mostly unorganised. Can trigger people with OCD.
- Can't do warranty replacements, unless approved by regional office.
- Can't service NEXA cars
- Special jobs like RFID replacement, immobiliser programming cannot be handled by them
- Records aren't centralised. You'll need to preserve that bill.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:43. Reason: typo
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 19:27   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes.

A routine Oil change service for a petrol A-Star goes for 4500. Oil + service charges is ok. Then they put in their favorite charges about brakes ( front & rear ). This does not even include new air filter.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 19:53   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Voted yes. However I am on the borderline. I think a few tweaks could make me sway towards no.

I recently got my A-Star serviced at Surakshaa Bommanahalli and paid the below for labour including taxes :

2. Brake cleaning : Rs.620

Item 2 has me confused. I do not understand why they charge extra for cleaning the brakes! It is a basic task.
Quote:
Here is a table that lists the amount spent on brake cleaning and caliper greasing so far :
Attachment 1684349

It is interesting to note that Benaka motors charge significantly less for the same item.
Charging for brake cleaning is a scam which is used to inflate the bill during service. As mentioned by me earlier:
  • Front Brake Cleaning is part of paid service. Reason: They remove the front wheels for inspection. The so called brake cleaning is nothing but taking out the brake pads and rubbing them with sand paper. Some mechanics will just rub the disc and it is done. I have witnessed this personally and I have put my foot down to remove these charges.
  • Brake Cleaning is chargeable only if you opt to get the rear drums cleaned. This is a laborious job as it involves opening the rear drums and cleaning the brake shoes. So if you opt for this then and only then pay for brake cleaning. Again these charges are less than 500 bucks. Rear drums don't require cleaning that often.
  • So the scam is they will just rub your front discs or brake pads with sand paper (which is completely worn out) and they will charge you for cleaning both the front and rear brakes.
  • Another linked scam with this is charging for caliper pin greasing. It is a 2 min job and nothing extra is done, as removing the front wheels for brake inspection is a part of paid service. All that is done is remove one bolt, take out caliper pin, grease it, put it back and tighten the bolt. The service center will slap 300 rs + taxes for this job.
  • So if you are aware you can prevent 1000 rupees + taxes from being added to your bill.
I request all the teambhpians to stand against this scam of brake cleaning and caliper pin greasing.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:43. Reason: formatting
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 23:02   #709
BHPian

I had a very bad experience from a MASS, hightech service, Ullur, Trivandrum. My Vdi was showing check engine warning and fuel cut of problem and engine turn off under quick acceleration. I gave the car for repair in this centre. The service supervisor told that there was problem with diesel splitter switch and replaced it. It costed me around Rs13k. But still the amber sign comes under quick acceleration and there is minor hiccup during the acceleration, though the engine doesnt turn off now. The SA told that it will be resolved after driving 500kms, but I doubt it. Any pointers?
Old 24th November 2017, 16:40   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
[*]Brake Cleaning is chargeable only if you opt to get the rear drums cleaned. This is a laborious job as it involves opening the rear drums and cleaning the brake shoes. So if you opt for this then and only then pay for brake cleaning. Again these charges are less than 500 bucks. Rear drums don't require cleaning that often.

Rear Brake Cleaning is also Included in the Periodic Service.

Tired with all the circus involved with trying to dodge the unwanted bill inflators from the Service bill while at the same time ensuring the mandatory procedures were followed during the annual service of the A Star during the past 6 years, I decided to take up the matter with Maruti and get a clarification before the Annual service of the Wagon R (1st Year) and Ertiga(2nd Year due next month).

I sent the following e-mail to Maruti.

Dear Sir /Madam,

I own two Maruti Suzuki cars -

Wagon R Vxi (O), 2016
Ertiga Zxi+, 2015

In the Owners Manual of both cars I noticed that the service and inspection schedule has listed as "I" (inspect) for both front and rear brakes. This job is to be carried out at all services from the third service (first year).

I requestyou to share the procedure for this service ie what all is to be done as part of inspection.

Are the brake callipers to be removed and brake pad thickness checked?

Should the rear brake drum be opened and wear on brake shoes be checked?

Anticipating an early reply from Maruti Suzuki.

Regards,
Ramon Jose P

I was expecting a reply from Maruti but they responded by asking me for the name of the service centre from which I got the cars serviced last time.

Following my reply they arranged for a call from the Service personel. And here is the clarification I got.

The Annual Periodic Service - the once in 12 months or 10,000 km Service which is to be done as per the check list available in the owners manual has the brake inspection (which naturally includes cleaning of components in the front disc / pad and rear drum / shoes) as part of it.

No additional charge is to be paid for the same during the once in 12 months or 10,000 km Service.

Only when the vehicle is taken in for voluntary service like before a trip etc when you specifically ask for brake cleaning, they can charge you. It can also be charged for at the once 6 months inspection which were are already aware is a dealer sponsored scam and is unnecessary.

So take your Maruti in for service only once in 12 months or 10,000 km.

Be very clear at the time of handing over the car that only work prescribed in the owners manual for this service is to be done.

No other extra work is to be done.

Pay only for the labour prescribed for that particular service. (Labour for 10k, 20k 30k differs slightly).

Within that labour amount all items for that service as per owners manual is covered.

Wheel Balancing and alignment are optional extras.

Drive out with the lowest Service bill you have seen in a long time

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:43. Reason: formatting
Ramon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 00:41   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Rear Brake Cleaning is also Included in the Periodic Service.

Following my reply they arranged for a call from the Service personel. And here is the clarification I got.

The Annual Periodic Service - the once in 12 months or 10,000 km Service which is to be done as per the check list available in the owners manual has the brake inspection (which naturally includes cleaning of components in the front disc / pad and rear drum / shoes) as part of it.

No additional charge is to be paid for the same during the once in 12 months or 10,000 km Service.
Thanks for the info, however trust me all service personnel and centers will not admit this. They will insist that front brake cleaning and caliper pin greasing is chargeable, forget about rear brakes cleaning!
One has to put their foot down to contest the charges. In my case I had to give my parents car number (in my hometown) to service people in bangalore to check the service records and see that we have never been charged for front brake cleaning and caliper pin greasing.
And you know what, the SA still billed me for caliper pin greasing. When I objected, he said sir these are for rear brake cleaning. I knew rear brakes were not cleaned and finally he removed 300 rs + taxes from final bill.
You can see numerous instances where fellow bhpians have been charged close to 1000 rs + taxes for brake cleaning and caliper pin greasing. The problem is very few people notice and contest the charges. As a result MASS have got into this habbit of infalting bills through extra line items and Maruti knows about it, but they continue to ignore it.

BTW, I also wrote to Maruti about increase in service charges at MASS. I didn't receive a reply despite reminders.
Old 25th November 2017, 07:09   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I sent the following e-mail to Maruti.
Ramon, can you scan and paste the response from Maruti ? I have recently fought with the MASS for this.
Old 25th November 2017, 09:24   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ramon, can you scan and paste the response from Maruti ? I have recently fought with the MASS for this.
The reply mail from Maruti was just asking me about the Service Center from where I last did my service.

I was later given a phone call by the Service personel from that service centre.

I think they are hesitant to put this down on paper or e-mail.

And my question to Maruti was not about "brake cleaning"

It was about the procedure for "brake inspection" as mandated in the service manual.

I deliberately did not raise it as a brake cleaning issue.

Brake inspection is part of every paid service package.

Last edited by Ramon : 25th November 2017 at 09:31.
Old 9th December 2017, 09:41   #714
BHPian

Routine 10k service of my Dad's Dzire (2011 Vxi) costed 16k after really hard negotiations. Original charge was 23.5k!!!! And the Vehicle has run only 34k till now and always serviced from authorized dealer. They have added 8500 as labor charges including tax. Also they added alignment and balancing inspite of dad refusing that multiple times but service manager called it mandatory. (I recently changed dad's cars all 4 tyres to Yoko earth 1 some 700kms before this service, and had just done alignment/balancing done). Further, they have added 3000 (without tax) for 3.2 liters of Synthetic oil with 2710 HSN code. thread tells me that the oil would at best be semi synthetic.

My Cousin's Vento was last serviced for 13k, and I remember my dad calling them expansive.

I am really surprised at recent behavior of Maruti Dealers. My Toyota Etios by comparison was last serviced this Feb for routine 10k service (2011 at 40k odo that time) for 4.5k including an oil seal change which was unexpected.

Maybe I am totally wrong and the price is genuine. Someone more experienced with Dzire 10k services may throw more light. The routine service chart shared in previous page is nowhere consistent with this bill.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-img_20171209_095336.jpg  

Last edited by Muski : 9th December 2017 at 10:03.
Muski is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 12:03   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muski View Post
.......and always serviced from authorized dealer. ....I am really surprised at recent behavior of Maruti Dealers.
This is the issue, read on.

Quote:
service manager called it mandatory.
Mandatory for what?? Your car is not in its warranty period, so you shouldn't get bullied by these money minded SA's. Not only the quality of alignment at outside dedicated shops better, it's cheaper too. They have billed you for MGP weights, but chances are they have used local 1 rupee weights(absolutely no difference between them). Fraud number 1.

Quote:
Further, they have added 3000 (without tax) for 3.2 liters of Synthetic oil with 2710 HSN code. thread tells me that the oil would at best be semi synthetic.
I am not too sure about this one, but AFAIK, Semi Synthetics cannot be formulated in 5W-40 grade. Also the part which they have billed you for, is listed under fully synthetic by MSIL:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ti-suzuki.html

Now coming to the useless bits:

1. What is engine cleaner?? No use, and its just for bill inflating. Rs. 507.80+tax

2. 5 Sachets of Screen wash?? For one refill, you need max 2. Even that will become too concentrated. 100% a fraud. Most likely they have billed you, but not used 5 sachets.

3. What is that "Fuel Injector" thing in the bill??

4. Did you ask for strut greasing?? Or did you complain about strut issues? This strut greasing is often done by Lathe, and the cost is 500 rupees. Heck for less than 3000 rupees, you could have changed one of your strut assemblies.

5. Stone Guard coating: Rs. 550 plus tax: Another sham, unless you asked it yourself.

6. Why was throttle body removed?? Did you ask for cleaning??

My take: Your dealer is a money minded enterprise(just like most other Maruti dealerships have become. No wonder people call them Stealerships. Refrain from going there, and choose a nice FNG/ A Category MASS in your city. Quality of work in A Category MASS is upto the best standards possible, while being ultra cheap compared to these dealer workshops.

Go through this link to find more about these workshops: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...workshops.html

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th December 2017 at 12:04.
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 12:18   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Routine 10k service of my Dad's Dzire (2011 Vxi) costed 16k after really hard negotiations. Original charge was 23.5k!!!!
Please avoid this service centre, they service your pocket well and make it clean .

Easiest way to avoid all these things is by sticking to only jobs mentioned in owners manual. There is even price table for all cars in the customer lounge. If the SA tries to fool you by saying it's mandatory, call the TSM (contact details should be put up in the lounge) and complain the same. Maruti has made it fully transparent by displaying service cost, calculation in app etc.. But these type of service centres spoil everything.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 20:08   #717
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Routine 10k service of my Dad's Dzire (2011 Vxi) costed 16k after really hard negotiations. Original charge was 23.5k!!!!
This Quote is high, even for diesel vehicles, its not nainital motors but Fine-etal.

You have been over charged by 6k atleast, even with synthetic oil. I service my swift with air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, synthetic engine oil (some 3.5k) , EGR cleaning and others, the estimate is still 9k. Be careful while the person is noting down in his job card, let him know that i need just general service and call up for any issues in car and you can decide on further things.
bkc is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 20:57   #718
ike
BHPian

I got my S cross serviced yesterday (IIIrd free service @ 10k KM) and was charged INR3899/- for 3.1L of oil, oil filter and Cabin filter. They quoted 1600+ tax + cost of weights for wheel alignment and balancing & I decided to get it done elsewhere. The good part was that they did clean and grease the all brake calipers (S cross has 4 discs) and they never tried to con me by charging for it separately. The overall experience was satisfactory.
Old 12th December 2017, 07:21   #719
BHPian

Got the 4th Service (Paid) / 20000 km Service for the Ertiga some last Sunday.

Cost Rs. 4100/- and that includes a voluntary Cabin filter and air filter change (which by itself costs around Rs. 650/-).

So the actual Periodic Service cost Rs. 3450/- which includes engine oil and filter change, coolant change and brake fluid change with me standing by and ensuring that everything is done as per the manual.

Reasonable for a car in this segment.
Ramon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 10:41   #720
BHPian

Recently got our Swift petrol serviced at 24k kms on the odo. Last service was done 6k kms back.
This was a basic service with just mineral oil and oil filter replacement.
Cost me 3320/-, after discounts of 550 bucks approx. I had some coupons which I get with yearly insurance renewal.

Paid service cost of 10k/30k service is now 1350 plus GST in my city.

Wheel Alignment/balancing along with weights cost me 850 plus GST. I could have got it done outside at a slightly cheaper rate.

I was standing beside the car the whole time. The mechanic took out the brake pads and rubbed them with sandpaper and also greased the caliper pins. This is the usual that is included in the paid service labour. So if you are being charged additionally for it, kindly make a note.

The advisor did try to push me for some Lubricant worth 400 rupees and underbody coating but I politely refused. This time he went overboard and even advised me to put seat covers, steering cover and door sill guards. Looks like they get margin on accessories too now these days. I refused again, politely.

A major service with all the filters and lubricants change would have cost me 2k to 3k more max which I find just about reasonable. Neither cheap but nor that expensive either considering inflation.

One thing which I didn't like is the washing process. They put all kinds of stuff to make the black plastic shine inside and out which not only leaves marks on nearby glass and metal surface but also makes the surface sticky to touch. Also somebody with a detailing OCD will get a panic attack looking at their microfiber cloths which are dirty rags to be honest.

Most Viewed