Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 00:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Clean only at 2 places - factory and showroom.

All the stockyards I have seen are the same. The cars also gather dust etc in transport.

Other than the fast moving items, most cars are first shifted to a central stockyard, from there they move either to a dealers stockyard or regional stockyards before moving on to the dealer. At every stage, they gather dust. (I do not know if any of the high value cars are stored in coverd godowns.)

I guess this in an inevitable part of the manufacturing and distribution process. Some manufacturers clad some portions of the car with a protective layer of foam/mat. After all, one can't expect the manufacturers to shrink wrap and send the cars!

Cheers,
Old 5th March 2009, 00:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

bahh.

did you ever realize the cost of land etyadi?

we in the same breath want to negotiate discounts also.

then is the dealer supposed to get his profit from the gurudwara?
Old 5th March 2009, 00:31   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

When i bought my Santro Zipplus in 2003 ( my second new car after starting to earn) i insisted that i wanted to see my car before i took the delivery. It was in a godown in RTC crossroads ( KUN godown) and it was lying around in dust.

I was appalled to see its condition, though it was brand new but extremely dusty and looked totally uncared for. I just hastened my process of taking delivery!
Old 5th March 2009, 08:49   #34
BHPian

Yes.It is the same story everywhere.I recently got a call from my TATA dealer that my booked car was ready for delivery.I went to the stockyard and the "new" car was just lying completly covered in dust looking like it has been there for ages(this on a car that was unloaded 2 days back).I was really angry,.blasted the dealer and told him that I will take the next car as soon as it comes from the factory(immediately after unloading it from the truck).

-hdi
Old 5th March 2009, 10:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yup, pretty much the same sad story with most dealers. From their POV, why wash everyday, only for the cars to catch dust by the afternoon? Rather get a complete cleansing job at the showroom (delivery time)
The last three times we took delivery of our cars from the stock yard itself. I wasn't present so can't comment on the yard's condition. But the cars delivered were pre-washed well and then re-washed properly just before the pick up. Cars were in showroom ready condition on delivery.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdi_pro View Post
I was really angry,.blasted the dealer and told him that I will take the next car as soon as it comes from the factory(immediately after unloading it from the truck).
And how was the car that was offloaded from the truck ? was it looking spic and span ? there is no point in it, Look at the Audi which was being unloaded off the truck it was covered in muck and only good thing was that it had a protective sheet on the bonnet,the Indigos and Indicas which also came in the same truck was totally covered in dust as all the trucks loading bay is uncovered at the top.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post1028070
Old 5th March 2009, 11:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Anybody seen manufacturers' yards?
Manufacturer's yards are no better. But atleast heavy dust layering protects the paint job from getting discoloured.

Went to Concord Motors Stock yard in Hyderabad and its the same state. Unless a car has been parked out in the sun for a terribly long time, rubber and exposed plastic parts donot get too affected. I had seen a Tata Safari being offered at 1 lac discount as it was standing at dealer's workshop for about 15 months. Battery was dead but started on second crank through a jump cable and was running smoothly there on.

Our cars get much more abuse on roads compared to standing in the dusty yards.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have seen the godown of indus motors(maruti dealer) here ,must say -they got a well tarred square plot .no such dust issues etc.
--
while at coimbatore ,near Ukkadam ,there is this BIG TATA dealer who has the worst parking lott.dust covered vehicles-trucks,cars etc ,maruti's,tata's etc(dealer name?-gouder & co something).

Last edited by deepclutch : 5th March 2009 at 11:28.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:27   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
bahh.

did you ever realize the cost of land etyadi?

we in the same breath want to negotiate discounts also.

then is the dealer supposed to get his profit from the gurudwara?
I did not get your logic.
You mean to say that if dealer does not cement the parking lot, somehow he has to pay less for the land? Compared to land cost, cost of cementing the lot should be negligible.
Last time I checked it was around 20rs/sqft
So if a dealer as a 10,0000sqft yard, it should cost 2L for cementing it, a pittance compared to the cost of the land.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Guys, All the cars I have bought till date except my first one, I have been to the yard got the PDI done whilst I was standing there and ensured nothing is amiss!!At the yard, all cars have been dusty as if they are in a scrap yard!!
The mHawk I purchased 8 months back too was no exception though it was my second scorpio from the same dealer in Hyd.
Infact the Sales GM called me up and organized a trip for me to thier yard and I selected the car(black mHawk with bridgestones as I did not want JK Elanzos-bad experiences with them on earlier scorp) checked to see no scratches, dents, touchups etc kindof stuff. Went to the extent that the door closure rubber pads(they come on top of the four doors) also are in place!
Some of my friends call me 'insane' for all this- I hear it as 'Passion'!!

Last edited by getsurya : 5th March 2009 at 11:48.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:46   #41
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Guys, All the cars I have bought till date except my first one, I have been to the yard got the PDI done whilst I was standing there and ensured nothing is amiss!!
Thats a very very important point and should be done, not just bring the check list to the showroom at the time of delivery when your ride is all packaged and ribboned.

We too went to the yard when the first lot Safaris 2.2 arrived and also to workshop to be present there, just observed for maybe 10-15 mts, that leaves impression on the workshop people and managment - they know that this is one serious customer - thought they did the PDI extensively, workshop advisor came up and explained what all they are doing in the PDI

Last edited by adc : 5th March 2009 at 11:49.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:58   #42
BHPian

Fords have the white plastic films too but half the cars have that ripped up in places.

Lathangi Ford's stock yard was as dusty and shadeless as any that were described here, I was initially taken aback that they store the cars like that. Some cars had rust in the wheels and even alloys.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Some cars had rust in the wheels and even alloys.
I thought Alloy wheels do not rust? Maybe it was mud or dirt.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Last time I checked it was around 20rs/sqft
So if a dealer as a 10,0000sqft yard, it should cost 2L for cementing it, a pittance compared to the cost of the land.
If I go by your figure, It should be 20 Lakh for cementing not 2 lakh.
Old 26th April 2009, 22:08   #45
BHPian

A friend of mine used to work for Audi. He told me that usually their cars are shipped through containers. On the bigger models there is no space to open the door fully, so they used to open the window and get in.... dusty feet on that leather just imagine...

Most Viewed