Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 12:12   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
a basic tin roof to cover a plot that can hold a few hundred cars will cost several 10s of lakhs. and that will mean that the cars will cost more. now, you may be willing to pay a little more for your car but may not be all.

1. I don't think it'd actually cost 10's of lakhs. And even if it does, it's going to stay there for a matter of atleast a few years!!! So, it's worth the expense.

2. The installation of a tin-shed at a showroom's godown won't affect the cost price of a vehicle. Coz as far as i know, it's not the dealers who decide the price of a product!!!

Last edited by ampere : 29th August 2015 at 18:43. Reason: Fixed Quote Tag
Old 28th May 2009, 13:00   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yeah. but at the end of the day its economics my friend. a basic tin roof to cover a plot that can hold a few hundred cars will cost several 10s of lakhs.
Huh? WE have a temp roof in our farm for holding produce, the size is about 1/2 of that of a common dealer stockyard, and it cost us 20,000rs
Even cement tiling costs around 8rs/sqft, so if you have a 10,000sqft yard, it will cost 80,000rs. For 2L rs the dealer can build a proper yard.
Construction of a showroom can cost upwards of 5 crores if you include land price, so 0.5% increase in price for dealer is not really a big deal, is it?

[quote=MARCUS_520i;1323279]
Quote:

2. The installation of a tin-shed at a showroom's godown won't affect the cost price of a vehicle. Coz as far as i know, it's not the dealers who decide the price of a product!!!
Exactly. Atmost the dealer will offer lesser discount.
Moreover there are a few dealers who actually provide a covered yard. They are making a living, arent they?
Old 28th May 2009, 13:04   #63
BANNED

They should try and have better inventory control and logistics, so the number of parked cars catching dust is reduced.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Coz as far as i know, it's not the dealers who decide the price of a product!!!
but its them who decide their expenses!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Huh? WE have a temp roof in our farm for holding produce, the size is about 1/2 of that of a common dealer stockyard, and it cost us 20,000rs
huh?? farm produce = new cars??

you find it economical and useful for your work. but perhaps the dealers feel that even the 0.5% increase in their cost is not worth it. be it 0.5% or 5%, an expense that does not give returns must be eliminated.
Old 28th May 2009, 15:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

you find it economical and useful for your work. but perhaps the dealers feel that even the 0.5% increase in their cost is not worth it. be it 0.5% or 5%, an expense that does not give returns must be eliminated.
In my opinion dealers do not spend any money on Godown/yard because no customer see it. even if they see it, it is after the sales has consummated. So they do not feel the need for such a spend.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

we are concentrating on dealers only, how about factories ? I understand cars are kept in the open in the factories before being transported in trucks. In that case the manufacturer itself is pushing the stock to dealers to clean up before the delivery.
Old 28th August 2015, 09:32   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dealer godowns, is it the same horror story everywhere?

Thanks to Paul Aby for sharing this incredibly tight parking in the 'Popular Vehicles' yard at Ernakulam.

Dealer godowns, is it the same horror story everywhere?-dsc_0034.jpg

Dealer godowns, is it the same horror story everywhere?-dsc_0035.jpg

Dealer godowns, is it the same horror story everywhere?-dsc_0031.jpg
Old 29th August 2015, 08:59   #68
MSC
BHPian

All the dealer stock yards have the same condition. It is extremely rare to see a yard with a concrete flooring. And 99.99 % of the times the stock yard is an open ground with no shelter from rain and sun from the above and muddy waters from below.
Just before delivery, the vehicle is pressure washed and sold to customers.

Last edited by MSC : 29th August 2015 at 09:01.
Old 29th August 2015, 14:09   #69

Just came back from my pre registration check of of my Elite i20 at the Sai Auto Hyundai's stockyard in the outskirts of Mumbai. As pointed out by others I was expecting a shabby place with dusty cars. But to my surprise it wasn't so. The cars were very well maintained and the security was very courteous. I must say I am impressed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks