Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 12:35   #181
BHPian

Re: Poor test drive experience at Renault NOIDA sector 2

Buddy just get the Alto K10. Maybe the Renault Kwid has more features but IMO Alto in it's K10 manual avatar is more fun to drive. And your dad won't have to worry about after sales and services.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:48   #182
BHPian

Re: "Good day, I am interested in a test drive"...."Sorry sir, we don't have a car for TD"

This is the experience I suffered today at "Mahalaxmi Automotives"-Shivajinagar, Pune (a Maruti Suzuki dealer).

Went in for a test drive of Swift. First 10 minutes all was bearable though the sales person could'nt tell me one thing out of the brochure of the car.

Then I asked for a test drive. The sales person checked my license and got my "license valid from" date confused as my license expiry date and there was a bit of discussion in the showroom behind my back.

They were definitely of the opinion that the test drive should not be allotted to me because:-

a) I am 20 years old and in their opinion too young to drive their valuable car lest I add more dents to a museum piece filled with a variety of scratches.

b) A 2 wheeler+4 wheeler combined license is pretty much unreadable for them.

Despite this the test drive happened, or should I call it a test ride as I was not given a chance to drive the car while the sales person revved the nuts out of the poor thing and drove it recklessly. When I asked for a test drive the sales person asked whether I can drive a car to which I replied my license was more than enough a proof.
Then the sales person made a trumped-up excuse saying that they were not giving test drives because of one accident last month.

So if he did not want to give me a test-drive, why did he have to waste my 30 minutes?

Are 20 year old people not allowed test drives? If so, why did the Ford dealer in Karvenagar, "Dhone Ford" not only gave me full brochure and price quotation of the Figo diesel but also a proper test drive (very pleasant dealership experience there, by the way)?

Is there a rule that you need to have a certain age apart from having a driving license to hope for a test drive?

If not, then the Mahalaxmi Automotive is an excuse of a dealership and I hope it pulls its act together instead of living under vanity of Maruti Suzuki sales figures.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:29. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
zxcv444 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 02:35   #183
BHPian

Re: "Good day, I am interested in a test drive"...."Sorry sir, we don't have a car for TD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv444 View Post
Is there a rule that you need to have a certain age apart from having a driving license to hope for a test drive?
There is absolutely no rule, apart from having a valid driving license, to be provided a test drive of any car, no matter what your age is.

I am just 19 years old, and I’ve test driven cars ranging from a Tata Nano AMT to a Porsche Macan S, in the past year.

IIRC, no dealership has ever refused to provide me a test drive, even though I make it very clear to them that I might not buy the car from that particular dealership, or even go in for their competitor if I’m not satisfied with their product.

From what I’ve experienced, walk-in TD experiences are not as satisfactory as their online booking counterparts, due to the manufacturers involvement in the latter.

The only bad TD experience I’ve had is when my family was in the market to choose between the Toyota Innova Crysta & the Tata Hexa, and the SA from Bebbco Toyota failed to get the car with a decent amount of diesel on two consecutive test drives.

Having made up our mind on the Innova Crysta, I decided to call the SA for a third TD, hoping he’d not ask me to get a feel of the car with the reserve light on, but the ordeal ended with the SA repeating the same mistake.

However, this time, I filled up the tank of the demo vehicle with ₹1000/- worth of diesel, took a long TD & told the SA to use this diesel to provide other customers satisfactory test drives, unlike what he’d been doing till date.

After shooting a mail to TKM regarding this incident, I was allotted a new SA, who till date, has given me the best car buying experience ever.

If at all anyone from Jamshedpur decides to buy a car from Bebbco Toyota, make sure that Mr. Leo Gaurav handles your account.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:30. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:13   #184
BHPian

Thanks for the reply AShubrah. I agree that booking a test drive and ordering it on address is a much better option than wasting time in the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I am just 19 years old, and I’ve test driven cars ranging from a Tata Nano AMT to a Porsche Macan S, in the past year.
Couldn't resist asking- How is the Macan like to drive? Is it as good to drive as it is made out to be in the reviews?
Old 15th December 2017, 18:00   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't resist asking- How is the Macan like to drive? Is it as good to drive as it is made out to be in the reviews?
I’ve got a few words for you, sir.

Porsche - V6 - PDK

Now, you’re not a true car buff if you don’t get what I’m saying, because that combination, especially with so much torque from that diesel, just pushes you back in your seat like no other.

I’ve driven the BMW 530d, (sorry GTO & Tanveer_2558) but the Porsche Macan S felt so much more faster, even though it’s a low on torque when compared to the former.

P.S - Not to get you jealous, but I just came home after test driving the BMW X1 M Sport.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:30. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
Old 15th December 2017, 21:58   #186
BHPian

I should have asked more clearly.

How does the car ride and handle?

Of course I have no doubt about the V6-PDK combo but does it really turn like a sportscar? How is the steering feel?

And now that you posted, how would you compare the ride and handling of the Macan and the X1?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:31. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
Old 15th December 2017, 23:36   #187
Senior - BHPian

I had placed a request for TD of Tata Hexa, MT variant with Prerana Motors yesterday, today got a call from the dealer. I told them that I was interested to buy the XE variant and gave them my address. She assured of sending a TD vehicle by afternoon, I neither got a call from them nor a TD vehicle. I have experienced this several times, somehow dealers give least priority to people looking at base variants.
Old 16th December 2017, 10:15   #188
BHPian

Quote:
I should have asked more clearly.
How does the car ride and handle?
Of course I have no doubt about the V6-PDK combo but does it really turn like a sportscar? How is the steering feel?
And now that you posted, how would you compare the ride and handling of the Macan and the X1?
Having driven the Ford Mustang, I must say that the Porsche Macan felt more sure footed than it. The steering feel is great & does inspire high speed direction changes.

However, the ride quality was thrashy due to the 21” wheels that were fitted on this car, but the air suspension was constantly trying to make up for it.

IMHO, even with the lower profile tyres on the Macan, the X1 had a much harsher ride & didn’t soak up undulations as well as the other, but this might have to do with the vehicle that BMW brought over, as it was quite an abused one & needed some TLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I had placed a request for TD of Tata Hexa, MT variant with Prerana Motors yesterday, today got a call from the dealer. I told them that I was interested to buy the XE variant and gave them my address. She assured of sending a TD vehicle by afternoon, I neither got a call from them nor a TD vehicle. I have experienced this several times, somehow dealers give least priority to people looking at base variants.
You’re right in your assessment, but the only workaround to this situation, until dealerships become unbiased, is telling them that you’d be interested in the fully loaded variant & finally book the variant of your choice when the time comes.

This way, you can checkout all the variants from top to bottom without getting stepmotherly treatment from the dealership.

We faced a similar issue last year, when we were interested in the Trend+ model of the Ford EcoSport & the dealership didn’t want to give us a TD of the same.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:31. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 01:42   #189
BHPian

Terrible Experience with Swede Auto, Gurgaon

Been the fact that I am close to 25 now and started getting my financials sorted, I wanted to get something special for my dad. A luxury car!

He has been driving the i20 for a while now, and likes the car but has always worked for a luxury car which he sacrificed for.

Before TD'ing the Volvo XC-40 I wanted to take a look at the C- Class.

The C200 is a gorgeous car and the mercedes experience was positive beyond words. The car was explained well, I was offered a TD. Loved the dynamics of the car and the luxury feel.

I then went to TD the Volvo XC40, which I called them to ask when the showroom closes. I reached half an hour before.

As I was approaching the entry to the showroom, there were paint cans outside. They were undergoing a renovation. The entire showroom smelt of paint.

Being the WorldCup day, everybody was busy with the match. We weren't offered water or welcomed. I went towards the XC40, which I loved before. Opened the door, and the entire car felt fragile right from the tight airroom to the plastics used on the steering.

15 minutes later an executive walked in and asked me if I needed help, I just wanted a TD to which they said the showroom has closed. I can come later and he walked away.

Not only was the car a downer, the entire dealership experience was terrible. I have had far better experience at VW/Hyundai/Maruti.

Swede Auto should be avoided unless they care for the customer.
devilwearsprada is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 07:37   #190
Senior - BHPian

Re: Terrible Experience with Swede Auto, Gurgaon

To be honest, it actually doesn't sound that bad.

You ve said yourself you reached the showroom half an hour before closing time. And it was quite a clincher of a match for this cricket crazy country ( I do not watch the game but everyone around me told me so).

And most showrooms are reluctant to offer test drives that near to closing hour, so I see no reason why Volvo should be any different.

You are expecting to much from a few salesmen on a near store closing hour on a day when India could have been out of the cup. ( They are out now, my phone notifications keep telling me so). Sure they could have dealt with it differently but what they did was something expected from a bunch of salesmen ready to go home at the end of the day.

Had you booked a prior time with them or they were supposed to visit you with the test drive vehicle and did not show up, things would have been different.

I think, you should have asked them to hook you up with a test drive in the following days and then gauged their service depending on how they performed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:32. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 07:54   #191
Senior - BHPian

This is the general attitude among most of the dealership staff apart from few exceptions. I was asked by Mahindra Dealership to deposit the balance down payment a day prior to delivery. I was 10 mins late and no one was at the showroom to collect the payment. This is when I informed them that I am coming.

Last edited by GTO : 11th July 2019 at 08:23. Reason: typos
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th July 2019, 13:09   #192
BHPian

To be honest, I run a business too in the hospitality sector. I don't think my staff has ever refused someone water or been busy watching a match during work hours.

I did tell them Ill be coming by 7:15, at 5:30 which I think is an advance enough notice. Dealers outside India would go an extended measure to sell you the car because its a competitive market. Defending this callous attitude in the name of a clincher match is unexpected.

I reached half an hour before and this is VOLVO not Rolls Royce.

They are here to sell cars and establish themselves in terms of customer service and their cars but good luck with this attitude.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:32. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
Old 11th July 2019, 14:24   #193
Senior - BHPian

No one is defending their attitude. Was it expected behaviour, no.

Should you expect something like this at closure of business hours at a dealership on a big match day. Yes, maybe. Personally, I think very little of these dealerships and their salesmen. Plus, it's futile to compare our dealerships with the ones overseas. Different people different market. And even there you will find the nice ones and not so nice ones.

Plus it makes no difference if its a volvo or a rolls Royce or a maruti.

Every one buying a new car no matter how inexpensive ikes to be pampered.

Did you mention to them on phone that you are coming in to get a test drive. Did they say no we are not going to be able to give one.

What I am trying to say is, book a test drive. And then see how they behave. You always have an option of going to a different dealer.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2019 at 15:33. Reason: Additional spacing for improved readability.
Old 11th July 2019, 14:38   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
To be honest, it actually doesn't sound that bad.
You ve said yourself you reached the showroom half an hour before closing time. And it was quite a clincher of a match for this cricket crazy country ( I do not watch the game but everyone around me told me so).
And most showrooms are reluctant to offer test drives that near to closing hour, so I see no reason why Volvo should be any different.
I want to share a story here. A couple of years back, I was at a relatives place in Hyderabad and we had gone out for some errands on a scooter. As we passed by the Audi showroom, we decided to try our luck and check out the (then)new A5 and S5 which were on display. We were initially not even expecting entry into the the showroom but no one stopped us. Infact, when I went inside, there was an R8 in the corner being fuelled for some event the next day. So the manager comes to us and asks what we would like to see. I immediately point to the R8 and ask him to just let me sit in it for once.

Believe it or not, He agreed! He even started the car and revved it a little just for me! Additionally, he even showed me the A5 Cabriolet's roof mechanism! Remember, I was just 15 and had come to the showroom in house clothes and on a Scooter!

We checked out a couple more cars and decided to leave. That's when we got to know that the closing time for them was 15 minutes before we even arrived!

Point is, he clearly knew we weren't potential customers, we didn't even look like someone visiting an Audi dealership and yet patiently catered to us and even went the extra mile!

So doesn't matter whatever dealership it is, you are putting a whole lot of money on the car and this kind of service that the OP got is just appalling!

Cheers!

Last edited by porsche_guy : 11th July 2019 at 14:39.
porsche_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 14:53   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
No one is defending their attitude. Was it expected behaviour, no. Should you expect something like this at closure of business hours at a dealership on a big match day. Yes, maybe. Personally, I think very little of these dealerships and their salesmen. Plus, it's futile to compare our dealerships with the ones overseas. Different people different market. And even there you will find the nice ones and not so nice ones.
Plus it makes no difference if its a volvo or a rolls Royce or a maruti. Every one buying a new car no matter how inexpensive ikes to be pampered.
Did you mention to them on phone that you are coming in to get a test drive. Did they say no we are not going to be able to give one.
What I am trying to say is, book a test drive. And then see how they behave. You always have an option of going to a different dealer.
I don't think you get my point, closure of a business doesn't warrant a bad attitude. Match or not, I am a customer waiting to be shown and explained a car. So you think me not booking a test drive allows them to not have anyone provide a glass of water?

You are clearly sitting on higher grounds. I won't take a TD from a dealer who has that attitude, I would go to a different company. Won't buy a Volvo now. Considering the recent downfall ins sales figures, let's see how this company would even survive.

Most Viewed