Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 09:36   #1
BHPian

Prerana Motors Old Madras Road . Will I go again ?

I used to be a regular customer for Prerana Motors Old Madras Road for my 6r old Indigo.My service was due in March, but then I couldn't find time to drop the vehicle and hence I carried on. Then came our plan to drive to Ooty for Easter weekend and hence, I decided to get my vehicle serviced as it was more than 6 months since my last service.

Called up Prerana, got an appointment for wednesday (April 8). Dropped the vehicle for servicce at around 9 AM, mentioned my issues that needs to be attended to. The service advisor promptly jotted down all of them and even entered them in the job card .Promised me that vehicle will be ready by 5 PM.

Time 5 15 PM: I reached the workshop, found the SA and went on to check the vehicle.To my surprise, 2 of the major things that I had asked for was not even attended to.
Then, he had to call one mechanic and then he started doing the stuff (it was related to the window glasses) and after some 30 mins, finished the stuff.

Had a finalcheck, went for a trial run and then settled the bill. It was a paid service which included oil change,vehicle checkup and stuff.

Drove the vehicle to the Shell bunk, filled up ( as we had to travel next day early morning to ooty).

Next day morning, woke up at around 5 AM, got ready, packed the bags and then went to my cousins place as they were our company for the trip.We left their place at around 6 30 Am and soon were crusing the mysore road at around 80.

We would have covered close to 80 KM and reached a place called channapatna. I was slowing down to negotiate a speed breaker and had comfortably reduced the speed to around 10 kmph and then the applied some more break to stop it further and then it happened...

My break pedal just went inside.I am left with no brake and my vehicle hit an Innova that was almost getting out of the speed breaker.

I was shocked.. I didn't knew what to do as it was the first time that I am experiencing a situation in which my brakes failed.

Slowly, I steered the vehicle to the left and parked it there.
The innova also stopped. They came out and inspected their damagae and then came to us.

Now, I am not sure how to thank those generous family who were travelling in the Innova. Once I told them that my brakes failed and that is why i hit them, they were enquiring whether we are OK in our car.

Now , I would call that as something out of the world that some one can show to anyone. Thanks to those unknown gentlemen for the generosity that they have shown. I know, if it was some one ese, they would have thrashed me and my car for what has happened.

Well, the story doesn't end here. I got hold of a mechanic and he found out that the break fluid cable had got cut

One should remember that this was a vehicle that got serviced the previous day.

On inspecting the damaged fluid cable, mechanic told that the fluid cable was getting rubbed against some mechanical component and the damage had been happening for some time.

After some 45 minutes of stoppage, we continued our journey with a replaced fluid cable.All the time, I wanted to go back the service station and vent my anger on that person who had inspected my vehicle..

After we returned from Ooty, next day, I shot off an email to Prerana Motors, Tata motors explaining about what has happened . Evening, I got a call from the workshop manager, enquiring about the issue and requested me to come down to the workshop to see the issue.

Though i didn't have the damaged cable, I went to the workshop to show the damage that has happened out of the impact with innova. My headlamp assembly was damaged and bonnet was not getting closed properly.

On reaching the workshop, found the works manager (Mr Karthik). He immediately took the vehicle to the service bay, lifted the vehicle and inspected the underbody.
He saw the replaced cable (front right)and then went to check the other cable (front left side cable).

And we could see that the front left cable also had a similar damage happening and it too was waiting to get broken.

How can I not thrash those people who do vehicle checkings.Then, I asked them how they do a normal paid service and he showed me their checklist for service.
One line item in that was " check break fluid cable for any damage". I just shouted at them whether they had actually did this check and to my surprise, he told me that they will do visual inspection to see such issues.

How on earth one can see whether the damage is there by just visualising an item ? When we ran our hands against the tube, we found the damage and hence if the mechanic had paid some attention while checking, this entire episode of accident would have been averted.

Anyways, the dealership offered to bear 50% of the service cost for repair and hence I dropped the vehcle,got it repaired and as promised, they took 50% of cost on their side.

Still, if some one asks me whether I will go again to prerana, my only answer is a BIG NO as now, I know how people over there do service.

Now, the situation might be same across all dealerships, but, since I had a very bad experience with them, I will try my best to avoid them in future.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:00   #2
BHPian

Hey Joe that's a really bad experience. I know how it feels to be driving in a car with no brakes. Recently my wife was driving to work and the brakes began failing. Fortunately this was closer to home and on level ground. It's a really frightening feeling.Glad that you and your family got away safely and it could have been worse.

Now about the service experience..it's just shocking to see how unprofessional service people are. They have one job to do and they don't want to do it properly! Unless we start servicing our cars ourselves we are at the mercy of such unprofessional 'authorised' service centres.

A friend who recently bought a vista ahd a bad experience at prerana motors service. Her new smooth car came back from service with a faulty/noisy suspension and had done about 30kms more on the odo!

Last edited by pranava999 : 29th April 2009 at 10:04.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thank god you and your family escaped unscathed, coming to service, I doubt if any A.S.S actually inspect wear and tear thoroughly, at a Hyundai service centre I had an argument long ago about them telling me that they were overwhelmed with vehicles for service hence the neglect and delay, I had told them to stop selling if they cannot it back up with service.
Old 26th January 2010, 23:33   #4

Hi Joe, Just joined Team BHP and was reading thru your horrible experience. I take my vehicle in Prerana. I too faced a problem with the service station. I had lost the service manual while shifting my house within 1 month of buying the car. I applied for the booklet in the end of Apr 09 and waited for 4 months to get the booklet. The booklet however did not had the service manual. Luckily I took an AMC for 20000. As per my service schedule the free service was supposed to be till 30000 and the second free service was due at 10000. Subsequently during my 1st service at 5000 kms I was told that they are taking the service as second service as the service schedule has changed and my free service is limited to 25000 a reduction of 5000 kms in service. Tata Motors agreed to the initial service schedule which is valid till 30000 kms however prerana didnt agree for the service scheme as they have to get the coupons encashed from TM and in the later case the service can be encashed much before the later schedule. Similary they didnt tighten any nuts/ screws resulting in the suspension rod getting lossened and a noice coming from the front left side. I had to change the entire suspension rod. Another horrible experience was when I left the car the security took the inventory and any body damage of the car. When I took delivery of the car there were complete scratches in the bonnet.
Old 26th January 2010, 23:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Stick with them, rarely do they accept their fault(it was theirs anyway) and pay for it and as nothing major happened(Thank your stars)
just keep a tight check and looks suspicious, unhappy(i know its a sadistic approach but works)
Old 19th July 2011, 19:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Prerana Motors Old Madras Road . Will I go again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Stick with them, rarely do they accept their fault(it was theirs anyway) and pay for it and as nothing major happened(Thank your stars)
just keep a tight check and looks suspicious, unhappy(i know its a sadistic approach but works)
Well, I wish i had seen this thread a bit earlier. But then, here is my story.. Had given my Indica DLG for a paid service in March of 2010, the vehicle came back and look wise it was good. But within a week, the dynamo went corrupt and when i took it to a trusted electrician, he was pretty sure that the dynamo had been altered/changed as it was fitted all wrong. I am sure it happened at the prerana service centre in OMR, as I have never had a trouble with the electriclas for 50k kms. I should have learnt my lession then and there... but I did not and gave it for service again in December, and guess what.. the brake booster went corrupt almost within a month of the vehicle coming back from service. Both these cost me around 8k in extra at a local garage and a important lession learnt..keep off these cheaters...
Old 19th July 2011, 20:53   #7
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

My previous car was an Indica DLX 2004 model. I bought it from Prerana Lalbagh Road in September 2004 and around the same time they opened this new service centre on Old Madras Road which is hardly 1.5 Km from my home. I found it very convenient to go here for service and initially it was very good - friendly staff and they did a good job. But gradually their service quality dipped and after the free services I found I had to go at least for 2 follow up/repeat visits after a regular service. Also, the service advisors would do a lot of marketing for car detailing, rat mesh, teflon coating, wheel balancing, wheel alignment etc since it was the easiest avenue to increase revenue. After 2 years I stopped using the services of this centre and instead went to Concorde motors near Adugodi. They did a really good job (also helped that the service manager was a family friend !). Unfortunately, they shifted this service centre to another place on Hosur Road beyond Silk Board junction around October 2008 I think. I sold the car in December 2008 and did not visit the new Concorde service centre. Some of my friends own Tata/Fiat cars in Bangalore and they are very happy with service from Concorde and most of them too have had bad experiences with Prerana.
Old 19th July 2011, 21:14   #8
BHPian

To be frank, prerana motors is a not guy to depend. I suggest concorde for general service
contactme27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 06:56   #9
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Typo in my earlier message. I had switched over to Prerana service centre near Adugodi, not concorde. However, after they shifted from there I have never used their services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My previous car was an Indica DLX 2004 model. I bought it from Prerana Lalbagh Road in September 2004 and around the same time they opened this new service centre on Old Madras Road which is hardly 1.5 Km from my home. I found it very convenient to go here for service and initially it was very good - friendly staff and they did a good job. But gradually their service quality dipped and after the free services I found I had to go at least for 2 follow up/repeat visits after a regular service. Also, the service advisors would do a lot of marketing for car detailing, rat mesh, teflon coating, wheel balancing, wheel alignment etc since it was the easiest avenue to increase revenue. After 2 years I stopped using the services of this centre and instead went to Prerana motors near Adugodi. They did a really good job (also helped that the service manager was a family friend !). Unfortunately, they shifted this service centre to another place on Hosur Road beyond Silk Board junction around October 2008 I think. I sold the car in December 2008 and did not visit the new Prerana service centre. Some of my friends own Tata/Fiat cars in Bangalore and they are very happy with service from Concorde and most of them too have had bad experiences with Prerana.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:27   #10
BHPian

I am happy that your family is safe. IMO you should push them to bear 100% of the cost, stick to prerana untill your warranty period. The service centres are loaded with vehicles, such mistaken are common(from my experience with MASS) & there is no guarantee that it will not happen in other TASS.

Once you warranty period is over, you can find an independent garage run by an experienced mechanic. There were good reviews on green tracks, Silk Board back in 2009.
Old 21st September 2011, 01:36   #11
BHPian

Went to Prerana Motors Last saturday to fix my Balancing Rod which had bent because of a pot hole, the lady at the reception was behind me the whole time to sell me the 24x7 road assistance instead of fixing my issue, in the end i had to opt for that service by paying 550 bucks, later i was told the balancing rod + labor would cost me 700 bucks approx, i immediately asked them to remove the bend and do a small wheel alignment, the person was very rude inspite of sr. service manager ramesh requesting him to do the job, he finally agreed and removed the bend and in sometime the alignment was finished, I also had a issue with my wiper, the water in the can used to just dissapear after pouring full 3.5ltrs of water, when i asked them to fix this, they immediately told its the water tank that has a hole and needs replacement without even removing it and checking, i was told it would cost 1.2k with labor and i was like, omg!!!! i told them to fix with M-Seal and they refused to do, for which i told them to leave as it is.

when i came back after swiping my card for the road assitance bill, my vehicle was left outside with no wheel caps, i had to go again and find someone to put back those wheel caps and tag them, when all was done, I breathed alas! and returned back home, while driving on the ring road i found that steering aligned is completely wrong, i was so fedup and had some important job, i left home.

I went to prerana on monday to get the steering aligned properly, after much of request and waiting there like 45mins, one person comes to me asks for test drive, And the whole incident in the Test Drive shocked me like hell, I had done Test drives during Service with maruti service guys, Hyundai Service guys and even Ford service guys, but this one was pathetic.

The first foremost thing to do with a Turbo Diesel vehicle is to Idle the car for sometime, which he never did in the whole scenario, he stopped the vehicle 3-4 times, he removed the steering wheel with such a pressure (unimaginable!!!), while vehicle was doing 40km and i was scared to death, I was just praying God we all are safe, finally the time came, God heard my prayers and he put back the steering and screwed the nut and brought the vehicle to stop, i was like alas!!!

After these I decided i will never ever take my car for service in prerana - old madras road, but these guys have booked my car for service next week, but i wont be going there, can anyone give some ideas about Prerana Motors - Hosur Road ?

Also i need one more clarification, my vehicle was serviced at 29k km(Feb11) and now its 34k km, one guy from prerana tells me i should service the vehicle asap as it might void my extended warrantry since its 10k km or 6months (whichever earlier), is that true?
Even for extended warranty should i service b/w every 6months ? can anyone confirm me pls.
Old 21st September 2011, 02:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

You have to thank your stars that nothing serious happened. Had the brake fluid line snapped when you were doing speeds in excess of 60 km/h, it would have been devastating to say the least!

It's a good thing you gave Prerana a dressing-down.

I've had a similar issue with Advaith Hyundai. My Santro has been giving me problems off late, and the funny thing is it happens right after the periodic service! How can a service not help unlock these issues before it happens?
Old 21st September 2011, 07:08   #13
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
After these I decided i will never ever take my car for service in prerana - old madras road, but these guys have booked my car for service next week, but i wont be going there, can anyone give some ideas about Prerana Motors - Hosur Road ?
From my earlier experience, Prerana Adugodi always did a good job. However, I haven't used their services after they moved to Hosur Road.
Couple of very helpful folks there (not sure if they're still around) - Mr. Sharma, the service manager and Mr. Dhanunjaya, service advisor.
Please try to talk/meet these people and they should be able to help you out.
Hope this helps.
Old 21st September 2011, 07:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

I've been going to the Old Madras Road PRERNA for Ages, about 10 years I would say.

The thing which attracted me to them was the number of TAXI Cabs that they used to cater to. It was a no-brainer for me then, if the TAXI Guys trusted a Dealer then the Dealer must be good, because these guys are very well networked and most of them are Owner+Driver Cabs.

It used to be managed by a person called Samiulla. Sorry for using the word, but he was a 'Hitler' a albeit a good one. It was normal, listening to him barking at his staff. The job done was impeccable

Samiulla got poached by NISSAN and I've noticed a definite down-trend since then.

I'm the kind of guy who sticks to Loyalty, and I continued to patronise PRERANA Old Madras Road

I went there about a month ago, and am now regretting
  • They didn't check my AC since they had no working machine
  • The mileage has dropped considerably
  • The SAFARI was handed over dirty and I had to pick it up on my own from the yard
  • The advisors were fighting over vehicle allotments
  • They are more interested in the 24x7 roadside assistance than anything else
I honestly feel that the joint will be closed soon, maybe even before you stop reading this post

I've found another place near my home, Hindustan Motors (TATA Authorised) and want to switch loyalties

Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to visit them before my next scheduled service

(My clutch pedal keeps getting play and goes then the play disappears - while on the move) - (Brakes are fine though)
Old 21st September 2011, 07:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From my earlier experience, Prerana Adugodi always did a good job.

Couple of very helpful folks there (not sure if they're still around) - Mr. Sharma, the service manager and Mr. Dhanunjaya, service advisor.
Mr Sharma was the GM service at Adugodi, and he ran things well. I have heard the SA's themselves speak +ve about him. But he moved out about 2-3 yrs back, was in Lathangi also for a short while before moving out of there. A good man, I hear.
Later the Adugodi unit was moved to Hosur Rd.

Dhanunjaya was there for a very long time with Prerana, but now he has also moved out a couple of months back. I see a lot of new guys in Prerana Hosur Rd. While business has picked up there, I am not yet sure of the new guys.

@TheArun, the cab guys go to the A.S.S only during wty period. So pls dont read too much into the cabbies at an A.S.S.

@JohnRuben, I thought you were also going to Hosur Rd. IIRC, we had met there, and you too used to meet Dhananjaya. For smaller things, you could pick up the parts from any T.A.S.S (over the counter) & do it yourself / go to any mechanic. Reg the wty, just stick to the Wty schedule as seen in your owner's manual.

Last edited by condor : 21st September 2011 at 07:42.

Most Viewed