Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 16:35   #1
BHPian

Never Take Your 4x4 Safari To TASS.

Around 15 days back my Tata Safari 4x4 VX 2.2 's brake line broke and it was taken to Dinco Motors , Rewari , Haryana which is TASS.(Tata Authorised Service centre). They changed the brake line and some compressor related to brake system. They were not able to calibrate brake system with ABS and EBD, but some how they did it after 5 days.

Today I went to Dinco Motors for some work.I told WORKS MANAGER Mr.Vadhva that my safari's brake system is not working perfectly.
He said that he had test driven my safari for 20 kms and tested brakes at every speeds upto 130kmph at it was ok.

He told me that he drove my SAFARI IN 4H (4x4) MODE AT 120KMPH.
he also adviced to switch into 4H mode at speeds above 80kmph for better stability of the vehicle.
He said that 4H MODE IS FOR HIGH SPEED HIGHWAY DRIVING.

He told me while test driving my safari HE SWITCHED TO 4H AT 100KMPH
And 4L is for off road.

then i told him that you are 100 % wrong and why did you drove my vehicle in 4x4 on highway without having a little bit of knowledge about 4x4.
I showed him the manual which clearly states not to switch into 4H above 65kmph , and he replied it is written wrong in the manual.
The I asked a mechanic there and he also told me the same thing, 4H is for HIGH SPEED HIGHWAY DRIVING and he was told this DURING HIS TRAINING IN PUNE BY TATA MOTORS.
I explained him everything about part time 4x4 , that 4H and 4L are only for off road not for paved roads, I explained him that 4x4 on paved roads can result in heavy damage to shafts, axles , transfer case etc.
He said that he can show me the notes that was given to him by tata motors during his training.

Now guys help me out , as I am very angry on TASS because this act may have done a lot of internal damage to drivetrain.
What should I do?
TO WHO SHOULD I COMPLAIN ABOUT ALL THIS?

And keep away from TASS as mechanic told me that all the mechanics are taught the same theory about 4x4.

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 21st May 2009 at 16:38.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
He said that he can show me the notes that was given to him by tata motors during his training.
You should have got this, scanned and sent to Tata motors, if wht he said has anything true.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:44   #3
BANNED

This is truly amazing. I don't know what to say. Send a mail to customercare@tatamotors.com with all details. If they don't respond in 24 hours, give them also a rap.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
You should have got this, scanned and sent to Tata motors, if wht he said has anything true.
He has them at his home and he will show me and I will surely get them scanned.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:47   #5
BHPian

i dont think anything is gonna happen to the drivetrain if 4h has been used on the highway at 130 kmph.

but i do not know abt about what the specified speed is for changing between 4h and 2h in a safari , i.e if there is a specified speed.

nothing wrong in using 4h on a wet/ slippery curvy highway especially if you are doing some serious speeds.

Last edited by siddartha : 21st May 2009 at 16:48.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:50   #6
adc
Senior - BHPian

This is gross because I am an absolute sticker of the manual - push this thing to the highest level. Every big regional centre has a top customer service head. Send him a note and talk to him also along with that customer mail ID. Talk and send a note to the regional manager also.

They will have to change those xerox training notes.

Last edited by adc : 21st May 2009 at 16:53.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i dont think anything is gonna happen to the drivetrain if 4h has been used on the highway at 130 kmph.

but i do not know abt about what the specified speed is for changing between 4h and 2h in a safari , i.e if there is a specified speed.

nothing wrong in using 4h on a wet/ slippery curvy highway especially if you are doing some serious speeds.
You are wrong dear,
part time 4x4 , which means that they dont have any centre differential should never be driven on paved roads.

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 21st May 2009 at 16:56.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:18   #8
BHPian

I have mailed customer care about this.
Waiting for reply...
Old 21st May 2009, 17:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
You are wrong dear,
part time 4x4 , which means that they dont have any centre differential should never be driven on paved roads.
ok , now i get your point.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is unbelievable! Forward a copy of your e-mail to pramod_shanbhag"AT"tatamotors.com
Old 21st May 2009, 18:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
This is unbelievable! Forward a copy of your e-mail to pramod_shanbhag"AT"tatamotors.com
hi suman, this mail id is not working..
Old 21st May 2009, 20:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you just gave me jitters.
This is insanely scary. I hope this does not happen to anyone.
I hope this has not caused any serious damage. Maybe you ought to get the 4x4 checked at a more competent TASS for any damages and get it sorted under warranty.

Please update this thread for the benefit of all of us here.
Old 21st May 2009, 20:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

He gets this years iamtehdumbestTASSguy golden spank award!
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:52   #14
BHPian

I mailed customer care about all this , and today I got a reply for Customer Support Manager, North Region, Tata Motors saying that he will come to Dinco Motors on 27 May, and will thoroughly check my vehicle and resolve all issues.

I hope that he also don't say that 4H is for Highways.

According to me the TASS dumb guys have driven around 20-40 kms in 4H on highways,
what are the major parts that should I ask them to inspect which could have been damaged.

And what other damages can be caused when shifting into 4H at speed around 100kmph.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd May 2009 at 17:56. Reason: edited [FONT] tags
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:11   #15
BHPian

Your experience with TASS does not suprise me. The service staff's misconceptions about 4H may really be due to poor training.
Get some hard evidence with you like photocopies of training material and then hang the idiots with their own rope.

20-40 kms in 4H should not cause much damage, but get the TASS people to check the backlash in TCase and the hub locks.

Most Viewed