Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 15:04   #1

Ford Service time! Sunglasses missing

HI,

Customer relationship manger gave me call on 15 th may,2009 to come down for a free service camp at lathnagi ford (Bannnerghata road), since this was a first time i was interacting with lathnagi, i accepted it. My earlier dealer was cauvery ford.

On sunday 17th may 2009, i met the person (shoaib) at lathnagi who checked my car and took it for servicing, what i didint relaize was my sunglasses & cds were kept in the dashboard, i did notice it, was lazy in not picking it up. even the person in charge, never asked me to pick up things. then i was called in for some fun event and they was lunch.

After that, i was being told that the car is ready, once i sat down to check, i realized my sunglasses were missing, i immdeiately called in the manager. he promised to look into it and call me. it's been 21 days, the manager says, since we cannot compensate fully, we will agree to 50% of cost.

Now the manager says, buy the sunglasses for some 3000 rs or so. so that they just pay rs 1500, his playing emotionally too saying we need to cut the employee's pay to give you.

My sunglasses were worth 275$ + 257$(tax), they brand was oakley. i understand it was my mistake, not to pick up the sunglasses before giving it to servicing.

how do i go about getting justice here.

thanx
shacks

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th June 2009 at 15:08. Reason: Readability and moving to the right sub forum. thanks
Old 9th June 2009, 15:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

You cant. Unless you have proof that you did leave it in the car and proof that someone at the service centre did nick it.

Otherwise, it is just your word against theirs.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:20   #3
BHPian

Bad luck shackman. Atleast they did acknowledge. Like Nikhil mentioned, its your word against theirs. There is nothing much you can do.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ford dealerships is always a pain in these kind of things. They whacked couple of my brass door locks as I had left them during servicing in the car. And after servicing, I asked them where it was and they had no clue.

If you ask me the best suggestion is buy the sun glasses and ask them to make a bill to double the amount you have paid and present the same bill to the manager. Atleast you will get your 100% money back. I know this is not ethical but sometimes you have to do these kind of things to get justice.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:56   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Without meaning to point a finger, I'd say you should not have left them behind in the first place! Always clear your car of personal belongings before handing it over for any maintenance.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:16   #6
BHPian

There was a free service camp arranged by GM too and I went for it.

As soon as I parked my Sparky, a lady executive came with a nice bag. She took out sunglasses, CDs, documents, head unit, perfume etc, placed them into the bag gave it to me. She also checked for tool kits, floor mats etc and noted it down on the paper. Also, she showed me all the scratch marks/dents.

I am not appreciating what she did, thats what they are supposed to do when they take our car away, right?
Old 9th June 2009, 18:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know about your sunglasses. But I agree with GTO that you should not have left them in the first place---all workshops, whether Ford or otherwise, have contract workers to do the cleaning, and they are not known to be honest.
On the other hand, I'd once forgotten my Swiss knife and foreign torch in my car--it was in that small place below the steering wheel. on the dash. But I got them back with the car. I guess I was lucky.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:32   #8
BHPian

"I am not appreciating what she did, thats what they are supposed to do when they take our car away, right?"

+1 Bombatt.

At M.A.S.S, The advisor checked the glove compartment, side pockets, the boot , scratches (if any), tyres , battery and car audio equipments (this happened when i took my car for service last time at SAGAR).
Old 9th June 2009, 18:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

i am sorry mate but you should be thankful for them, for they are ready to give you 1500/-, whether you wan to take it or not its your call. In the service the car may go into hands of many people and its difficult to blame anyone. i think you made a mistake leaving them in dashboard.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Shackman..Ford should have scanned all the car and removed the personal belongings to you before starting the servicing.Thats rudimentary.
I think u should lodge a complaint.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:05   #11
BHPian

@Shackman, I've been giving my car to the ford service centers for almost 5 years now and have never had such a problem. Everytime they insists on me taking out all the personal belongings and also inform me that "they are not responsible for any loss". On hearing this, I don't even trust them with the car perfume.

Well I would say your lucky that they even offered to reimburse 50% cash.

They once goofed up with my amp wiring and as compensation only reduced my service bill buy a few hundreds.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:56   #12
BHPian

If you're sure that they will reimburse half the amount, get yourself a new pair of shades. I know there is no way to ensure that, but nevertheless, try talking to the manager again. Since you don't have proof that you left it in the car, you are at the mercy of the manager's humaneness. Anyhow, it is ultimately your mistake. You should have cleared the car of all your belongings.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
@Shackman..Ford should have scanned all the car and removed the personal belongings to you before starting the servicing.Thats rudimentary.
I think u should lodge a complaint.
I have been giving my car for service to Cauvery Ford earlier, and now deal with Lathangi Ford. Every time they have asked me to clear out the car of my personal belongings before they take it in for servicing. Needless to say, i always carry my bag with me so i can bring back my stuff after removing them from the car.

Once when i had given my car for servicing at Cauvery, some coins which i had forgotten in the coin holder were nicked, but i left it at that.

@Shackman : While it certainly was unfortunate, i think its better to take what they offer, and move on. The hassle of trying to get justice will only irk you further, and rub salt into the wound already present.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:13   #14
BHPian

When I give my car for service, I drive it to Spectra Borivali early in the morning at 8 am. I empty my car completely before driving out. Except for the service booklet and regn papers, PUC, Insurance (mandatory docs) I do not carry anything in the car. Once I get back my car, I put in the stuff back. I carry a lot of things in the car so it almost takes me 15 minutes to empty and another 15 to load it back.

For running repairs, I cannot empty the car. I inform the service advisor that I am leaving all stuff in the car - sun glasses, swiss army knife, CDs, other knick knacks. No money (except loose change) or mobile phone. I check the car immediately as I receive it so that if there is something missing I talk right there.

I trust people but at the same time don't let them get lured with stuff lying in my car. The most tricky one is the valet parking in Hotels. Thats one place I keep worried.

As GTO said, the onus lies on us.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
When I give my car for service, I drive it to Spectra Borivali early in the morning at 8 am. I empty my car completely before driving out. Except for the service booklet and regn papers, PUC, Insurance (mandatory docs) I do not carry anything in the car. Once I get back my car, I put in the stuff back. I carry a lot of things in the car so it almost takes me 15 minutes to empty and another 15 to load it back.

I trust people but at the same time don't let them get lured with stuff lying in my car. The most tricky one is the valet parking in Hotels. Thats one place I keep worried.

As GTO said, the onus lies on us.
I too keep lotsa stuff in my car and take as much time to empty it before servicing. I agree with you regarding valet parking---I lost a Sandisk mp3 player in January. Since then, I refuse to take my car for team lunches, and insist on going by auto in case of urgency of the team meet.

Last edited by vnabhi : 10th June 2009 at 12:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks