Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 05:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

A Competent experience: Do 3 free services, get 4th free - Now honored!

Well, now that the title has well and truly confused you - let me explain.

Owing to delivery timelines, my swift was bought from a smaller Delhi dealer. But the convenient service center was Apra/Vipul/Competent Gurgaon. My dealership's service center was in Okhla (32 km one way) and they had offered "Do 3 free services, get 4th free (labor)" - a saving of ~770 bucks.

Being the surveying penny pincher I am, I shopped around with the Gurgaon agencies:
  • Apra - Dealt with the thorough learned gentleman Mr Rana. He clearly said that they have no such offer even for their own customers.
  • Vipul - The GM there said that such an offer's only for their own customers.
  • Competent - The GM Mr Kalyan said he'd be more than glad to offer it to me (the workshop was new and gets only a fraction of Apra's business!)

And I reasoned given Competent's brand name and that first four services are really glorified oil/filter changes - how does it matter?

What happened now was interesting. First two services, Mr Kalyan assured me that I'll get the 4th service free. All the time, the SAs were singing about how its entered into the computer and hence, it does not need any documentation etc (my mistake!)

Now, as it happens, Mr Kalyan has moved on, and under Mr Dahiya, the CGM - the story is different. Competent is only honoring those customers whose service manual got stamped!!

He had a small bundle of xeroxes to prove his point. Now that to me is breach of trust in some way. But in a corporatised dealership like Competent - there is no one else I can speak to, without any documentation.

That left a bitter taste - however, Mr Dahiya kindly said, he'd give 15% discount. How the creative finance guys interpreted it is attached - 10% discount on zero!! I was frankly tired of discussing so that was the end.

Hence I'd say, the next time your dealership tells you any such thing, just get it in writing. If they say they can't - take your business to someone who can. After all , its just alot of money for oil changes and a car wash!!
A Competent experience: Do 3 free services, get 4th free - Now honored!-discount.jpg
Old 6th July 2009, 12:15   #2
BHPian

good topic,this comes on the day when i am getting my car serviced from AALIANZ.
the same saving had come in my mind while getting the car serviced.770 is not a small amount.
The offer of "3+1" was actually confirmed by me at the time of my first visit,and I was told that in "AAA" WE GIVE 2 FREE SERVICES,I.E "3+2"
but my first experience with them was not good,and i have changed my service center now.

however,i think COMPETENT SHOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A FREE SERVICE AS A GOODWILL GESTURE.

Bad luck I must say..

Last edited by ankit.jhamb : 6th July 2009 at 12:16.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well I tried, but it seems in these recessionary times, a full waiver needs some senior sanctions.

And which could've taken a day... so I decided to make do with what mr dahiya gave!
Old 7th July 2009, 10:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

So did you speak to Aalianz?
Old 7th July 2009, 22:06   #5
BHPian

well,i had confirmed on phone.also in my case its the BALENO which is being serviced regularly from AALIANZ.
I Had confirmed from the workshop not only about the first three service,but also in case we get 5th,6th,7th service (we ll get 8th free.)
no stamp,no documents reqd,and I think they have posted this on their noticeboard also.so i dont think there will be any problems for next service.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

oh well, competent should learn from them! Do they have a facility near gurgaon?
Old 9th July 2009, 21:28   #7
vsh
BHPian

hi
i have just completed 20000 km in my swift dzire vdi and done fourth service. it is a paid one and bill amount is rs 6400.
is this too much or normal? i am totally new to cars and i have bought dzire on february 4 this year. pls let me know.
Old 9th July 2009, 23:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hi vsh,

6400 does sound a li'l bit on the higher side. Perhaps you could post costs of individual items/services and we can see further.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:00   #9
BHPian

@phamilyman
AALIANZ had opened a new service station near mathura rd,i have been visiting them at OKHLA.
1.the location of the service station is not that attractive,but the work asked was done,except for a minor rattle which they were not able to identify.
2.most of service centres would not touch the CNG settings etc,neither will do any adjustments reqd.but ALLIANZ doesnot have any problem with that.
3.this one is the closest to my home,so i can go any time in case there is any problem (post service).
Old 10th July 2009, 14:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Exactly the same logic. I take some 8 mins door to door for Competent service center.

What I didn't like was the about turn. However, given convenience et al, I will surely visit them again!
Old 15th July 2009, 20:51   #11
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hi vsh,

6400 does sound a li'l bit on the higher side. Perhaps you could post costs of individual items/services and we can see further.

hi
here i have attached the service bill. you can take a look at it. it is a paid one and 4th service, after doing 20000 km. dzire vdi bought on feb 2 this year.
Attached Thumbnails
A Competent experience: Do 3 free services, get 4th free - Now honored!-service-bill.jpg  

Old 15th July 2009, 22:02   #12
Team-BHP Support

I feel that wheel balancing and alignment have been overcharged as usual. Should get them done from outside which will cheaper and better. E.g. I get both things done at a total cost of 310 bucks.

And the last three labor items are crap. But at least they did not loot you on decarbonization.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yeah vsh - you got screwed over on that.

@Eddy: Select tyres se better and WAY more professional work is done at T-mart. They charge 350 and honestly much better than either MA tyres (250) and Select Tyres (300).

@All: Competent offered me the next paid service FREE - jai team-bhp I'll post the letter later today!
Old 16th July 2009, 12:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Eddy: Select tyres se better and WAY more professional work is done at T-mart. They charge 350 and honestly much better than either MA tyres (250) and Select Tyres (300).
What the heck is Select tyres ? I get mine done from T-Mart itself (opposite IBM, behind Galaxy)

Congrats on saving the 800 bucks
Old 16th July 2009, 13:30   #15
BHPian

@phamilyman:congrats,was it due to the thread started at t-bhp.or as a goodwill gesture.

Most Viewed