Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 16:53   #1

Advaith Hyundai – Efficiently Inefficient

I am posting this on behalf of my cousin, who is not a member of Team-BHP and would say that he is pretty much ignorant about the whole process of buying a vehicle. Unfortunately I was not able to assist him (not claiming that I know a lot abt cars, but having read post on Team-BHP for the last few months, I am for sure better than my cousin!), as I was outo of town. He is one of those guys who spent his entire life reading books and now spends most of his time in office!!! (He would kill me if he sees this post) :-)

This review is about my experience with Advaith Hyundai, Residency Road Bangalore. I was interested in buying Accent Executive and in this regard, I made a web enquiry on Hyundai Website. I got a call from Advaith and Trident dealers within a couple hours offering a test drive. I decided to go with Advaith, as it’s pretty close to my office. A sales guy (SG from now on) came to see me in the office and explained the features and advised me to go with Axis Bank for finance. I decided to book in the car in my dad’s name as there was an offer for PSU employees (12k discount, 3rd year extended warranty).

A couple of days later, I emailed all the documents (as told to me by SG) to the Axis Bank agent at Advaith showroom. He confirmed that everything was in order and that the processing would take a couple of days. Two days later I got a call from the SG saying since my account is with Citi Bank; I need to give 59 cheques, as Axis Bank cannot organize a direct debit from Citi Bank accounts. This came as a surprise since the Axis Bank agent did not mention this when I emailed my bank statements as a part of required documents to process the loan. Why did it take two full days for the agent to realize that my salary account was with Citi? Anyways, I asked the SG if they have a tie up with another bank for auto loan. He immediately arranged for a HDFC agent to get in touch with me.

I went through the same process with the HDFC agent. After looking at my documents, the agent convinced me that the entire ex-showroom (4.99 lks) price of the car would be funded. In order to re-confirm this, I asked if he was sure about 100% ex-showroom price funding. I also suggested that if he was not sure about this, I could get my dad to apply for the loan (assuming he would get 100% funding considering the fact that he is a PSU employee for almost 4 decades). He then gave a call to his credits team to confirm the same, they gave a similar opinion and I was finally convinced and decided to process the loan with HDFC. This happened on a Thursday, and I was told the loan would be approved on the following Monday.

On Saturday, I visited the showroom and paid the booking amount. The same evening I got a call from the HDFC agent, saying keeping in view my employment history and “other factors” the loan amount sanctioned is 4.49 lacs , a good 50k short of what I was promised earlier. When questioned, the agent got defensive by saying he personally does not have any say on the amount sanctioned and that HDFC credit team decided the amount. Wait a minute, I was of the assumption that your credit manager confirmed 100% funding when contacted over the phone!! ...anyways he was not ready to accept the fact that he made a false promise.

I spent the rest of the day scratching my head on how to arrange for the extra 50k. Finally, by Sunday morning I was able to somehow able to arrange for the funds. I visited the showroom again and gave them a cheque and was told the pre-delivery inspection (PDI) would be completed by the end of the day and the car would be sent for registration on Monday morning and delivered to me by 6.30 pm.

Since I had to pick up the car, I took an auto to office. At around 11 am I called the SG to confirm the delivery time and he confirmed that everything was on schedule. At 4.30 pm I got a call from the SG saying the car cannot be delivered today as it was damaged while unloading from the truck and that the damage was detected during the PDI. He also went on to say that he was being very fair and honest with me by not delivering a damaged vehicle, which he could have very easily done. After listening patiently, I put the following questions to him:

• Why was the PDI not completed on Sunday (as promised)
• If it was completed, why did it take so long for them to inform the customer about the damage

As expected, he had no answer. I cut the line on him and decided to go to the showroom to get an explanation. Once I was there, I demanded that I meet the head of sales. After a short wait, I got to meet him and raised the same questions put forth to the SG. He accepted it was a big mistake on their part not to have completed the PDI on Sunday, and having lied to me at 11 am that the car would be ready for delivery. Now, I was promised a delivery on Friday 11 am.

On Tuesday, I got an SMS from the SG asking for my dad’s ID, and payslips. I was like.. What was he doing all these days???? I called him back and asked why do you need all this now.. and got a reply saying these were the pending documents for registration!!! So this was indeed a confirmation of Advaith having lied to me on Sunday regarding the delivery. The SG also went on to enquire about my dad’s employer, I replied saying he works for an organization which is a Govt of India Undertaking. For this he said – Saar you have just saved 53k by having told me about your dad’s employer, saar life time road tax is waived off for central govt employees!!

Now, if this was told to me before I made the booking, or while the loan was being processed, I would not have struggled to arrange for the extra 50k that the bank refused to fund. This was too little too late for me. I decided not to argue with the SG and asked him to collect the documents the same evening.

I went to the showroom on Friday 11 am after confirming the delivery time the previous evening. After completing the paper work and one of their staff offered to explain the features. While he was doing this, it was discovered that the remote locking system and the head light were not functioning. Totally frustrated I walked into to the director’s cabin and asked for an explanation. After having heard my entire experience with their showroom, he was speechless and said – “My sorry would not make any difference to you now”. He made a series of calls to his staff and asked for the vehicle to be checked thoroughly (another PDI!!!). Finally at 1 pm I was handed over the keys and shown the way out of Advaith Showroom, Residency Road Bangalore.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupa_upadhyay View Post
The SG also went on to enquire about my dad’s employer, I replied saying he works for an organization which is a Govt of India Undertaking. For this he said – Saar you have just saved 53k by having told me about your dad’s employer, saar life time road tax is waived off for central govt employees!!
This is news to me, can this be confirmed by others?

Anyways atleast the director responded to you, so you are very lucky person. In most cases the customer gets to run from pillar to pillar without any response whatsoever!
Old 15th July 2009, 17:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Partially true: The CG employees can pay yearly road tax instead of life time tax -- because their job is considered to be transferable all over India.

But there is NO waiving off.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

OT: Ahh that makes more sense Thanks Khan. I would prefer LTT if am in a non transfer situation, why bother going through the hazzle of paying tax year on year, esp with high probability of increase in the amount.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:13   #5
BHPian

I just feel it was inefficiency on part of the sales person and not advaith on the whole, its good to see that they admitted their mistake and set everything right. It appears more of a finance problem. When going for finance, things always do not fall exactly into place, particularly when going for 100% finance. Congratulations on the new car, hope you don't face any more problems.

Any particular reason for buying the accent executive, while lot of new cars have been recently released.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Ahh that makes more sense Thanks Khan. I would prefer LTT if am in a non transfer situation, why bother going through the hazzle of paying tax year on year, esp with high probability of increase in the amount.
OT: Well, when you 'think' of paying only say ~900 per year for CG employees (IIRC) vs 53K upfront then .
Old 15th July 2009, 17:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
OT: Well, when you 'think' of paying only say ~900 per year for CG employees (IIRC) vs 53K upfront then .
Going OT
But the Govt keeps threatening to outlaw private vehicles older than 15 years.
So why do they collect tax for almost 60 years.
Old 15th July 2009, 18:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

OT: i dont think its 900 bucks now, that used to be some time back, maybe am wrong But somehow doesnt equate at all 900*15=13,500 vs 53000??

which category of vehicle has 900 per year, even the bikes used to have 300 plus when i last paid yearly tax ie atleast 7 years back
Old 15th July 2009, 19:24   #9

Quote:
OT: i dont think its 900 bucks now, that used to be some time back, maybe am wrong But somehow doesnt equate at all 900*15=13,500 vs 53000??

which category of vehicle has 900 per year, even the bikes used to have 300 plus when i last paid yearly tax ie atleast 7 years back

I called my cousin to confirm regarding yearly RT, it is Rs 850/year for the car he has purchased.

And, there is an existing thread on this topic -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-road-tax.html
Old 15th July 2009, 22:52   #10
BHPian

Rupa...that doesn't seem like a very pleasant experience at all. But anyway...it has ended well!

Just one question - Was the delivered car the same one which was damaged at unloading?

I wouldn't be too harsh on the dealer for the financing bit. It is just the way a bank operates. The sales guy you speak to has absolutely no authority. It is also best to do own research than blindly trusting the chap. Any bank website will tell you that upto 85% of the On-Road Cost will be covered by finance. So, I dont really know why the ex-showroom price was being used as the benchmark.

For the other stuff about the delivery goof ups...I cant imagine that the sales guy didn't even have the documents for registration! I can only think that SG completely forgot all about the fact that the name for registration is not the name of the user. They make you fill out a file on booking - had you mentioned your dad's name there as the registered owner?

This just goes to show that nothing is ever perfect. Just days ago I was raving about the same parties - Advaith and HDFC - right here on this website! All boils down to a lot of luck I guess...
Old 17th July 2009, 16:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Anyways atleast the director responded to you, so you are very lucky person. In most cases the customer gets to run from pillar to pillar without any response whatsoever!
Yes, this is true. My uncle who works in a central government organisation got the the exemption while he bought Spark in Feb an is paying yearly tax which is a very less amount.

Last edited by Hemanth : 17th July 2009 at 16:48.
Old 17th July 2009, 17:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

man! this is news to me, am getting my next vehicle in my relatives name! its daylight robbery for poor guys like me who shelve out the hefty LTT!
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:31   #13

Got to know recently that Advaith charged a premium of 18k (through Bajaj Alz), while BA, when contacted separately quoted a premium of 13k.
When asked to explain the difference in premium, Advaith had the following to say- if you go through the dealer you will get the benefit of Cashless Claim Facility, which will not be provided if you approach the insurance company on your own.
After posting on Team BHP, one of the managers from Advaith visited my cousin to get his feedback on how to improve the process in their showroom, and also requested him to delete the post on Team BHP!!
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupa_upadhyay View Post
Got to know recently that Advaith charged a premium of 18k (through Bajaj Alz), while BA, when contacted separately quoted a premium of 13k.
When asked to explain the difference in premium, Advaith had the following to say- if you go through the dealer you will get the benefit of Cashless Claim Facility, which will not be provided if you approach the insurance company on your own.
After posting on Team BHP, one of the managers from Advaith visited my cousin to get his feedback on how to improve the process in their showroom, and also requested him to delete the post on Team BHP!!
I got some work done at Advaith Ring Road recently and was a cashless claim. Policy is by Iffco-Tokio insurance done through an agent and not the dealer.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

The cashless facility is between the dealer and insurance company and has nothing to do with how the policy was done.

That was some story that guy cooked up.

But then, it is always advised to check outside for insurance quotes and never rely on what is mentioned by the dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks