Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

Srinivas,

I agree companies spend lakhs on testing of any product before market release, but as far as I know, a couple of test mules are tested extensively and then never sold to customers. That is R&D cost which is later recovered from sales...

And if you saying, that every engine, which comes off the assembly line, is run for equivalent of 8000 kms, then I respectfully doubt that....
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:59   #107
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Srinivas,

I agree companies spend lakhs on testing of any product before market release, but as far as I know, a couple of test mules are tested extensively and then never sold to customers. That is R&D cost which is later recovered from sales...

And if you saying, that every engine, which comes off the assembly line, is run for equivalent of 8000 kms, then I respectfully doubt that....
abhi,

every individual is entitled to doubt...even i was like this....but i meet my friend when i go there on business or when he is in Bangalore....the facts i know about the R & D department are mind blowing. This is just one of oldest things i knw about the way R & D works.

Wouldnt you believe that the entire GEARBOX of the ANHC is imported or wouldnt you believe that CRV is entirely imported ????

Its your choice to believe it or not to..i truly believe my friend...so it doesnt matter much about what others feel.

Old 22nd August 2009, 22:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Srinivas,

R&D expenditure
- I know the companies will spend resources for even 100000 kms if required....

Production / QC Check - 8000 kms check for EVERY ENGINE PRODUCED is impossible in my opinion. If you have evidence to prove me wrong I would love to be enlightened.

For e.g. Hyundai will not spend Rs. 20000 on fuel for testing a car which they sell for 4 lacs ex showroom.

I agree with the CRV being 100% imported from Japan. I know that a lot of engines / components are imported for other cars, these facts have nothing to do with your claim..

Anyway, we have taken this thread very very . So lets agree to respectfully disagree
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

I have witnessed vehicle assembly from nothing to finished product. A brand new engine straight off the assembly line is run for only seconds, barely a minute before it is bolted onto a chassis.

They fire it up, check for all operational parameters from the OBDII port, put a plug into the exhaust (which is BTW, fully sealed into a tube that sends the fumes out the factory - the floor is very sterile and clean), rev it a couple times while observing the real time data and if everything looks fine, it is sent on it's way to the assembly line.

Once the car is fully assembled, someone will drive it off the line, out the factory and into the stockyard. Here too, the exhaust is sealed until it is off the premises.

An engine design, before it is mass produced, is run several hundreds of thousands of kilometers worth of combined runtime before it is ever cleared for a production line.

Let us assume that Hyundai does run in all their engines for 8000KM. A single engine run for 8000KM will require 200L of fuel, considering it has no weight to pull around, but is revved all across the rev-range for proper run in. I'm giving it a very generous 40KMPL for diesels. Now, Hyundai makes around 23,000 cars every month in India (Source : Vasudeva's excel data). That means 23,000 engines, and not all of them diesels. Thus, the Hyundai plant must consume 4600000L of fuel per month. Assuming this is all diesel, that is INR 170200000/- per month in fuel alone.

That is 17Cr in fuel bills, just for run in.

Now you consider my extremely considerate mileage figures, add in the petrol engines and we'll see where the figure is. Not to mention the cost of consumables like oil and filters, as these brand new engines will go through a couple changes for these many kilometers.

I rest my case. Your friend either lied to you or you misunderstood what he meant.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 22nd August 2009 at 22:34.
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:15   #110
srinivas9446

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum with one-liners that add no value to the forum. We recommend visiting our board rules prior to proceeding further on the forum.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2009 at 20:28.
  Received Infraction
Old 5th September 2009, 08:43   #111

reading your experience and my family's fear of FIAT reputation, do oyu think one should buy this car?
I have to decide about buying a car, and am thinking of 1.2 Active itself

would be looking for your feedback and pics of car interiors(driver side door panel)

Hope you have a good experience

Cheers!!!
Old 5th September 2009, 12:17   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
reading your experience and my family's fear of FIAT reputation, do oyu think one should buy this car?
I have to decide about buying a car, and am thinking of 1.2 Active itself

would be looking for your feedback and pics of car interiors(driver side door panel)

Hope you have a good experience

Cheers!!!
Hey Nova

The car is a great buy!Sheer pleasure to drive.The A.S.S. as discussed in this forum seems to have improved a great deal and should do more so going ahead.
My car is almost a month old now and I am installing a audio system,remote locking and possibly rear sensors.
The audio system is a blue tooth one getting installed today.
I shall take interior pics today evening and have them uploaded.
A good dealer makes all the difference so see which is the one in your city and take things forward.
Old 10th September 2009, 22:08   #113
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
Hey Nova

The car is a great buy!Sheer pleasure to drive.The A.S.S. as discussed in this forum seems to have improved a great deal and should do more so going ahead.
My car is almost a month old now and I am installing a audio system,remote locking and possibly rear sensors.
The audio system is a blue tooth one getting installed today.
I shall take interior pics today evening and have them uploaded.
A good dealer makes all the difference so see which is the one in your city and take things forward.
hey rajni,

how is it going man? how is your car ? i am confident it must be doing great though it had clocked more kms when you took delivery...hope your spouse is happy about the car.....

let us know about your various experiences man.

bye

Old 11th September 2009, 12:56   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
hey rajni,

how is it going man? how is your car ? i am confident it must be doing great though it had clocked more kms when you took delivery...hope your spouse is happy about the car.....

let us know about your various experiences man.

bye
Hey srinivas
The car is doing well!driven close to 2500 kms in a month!Went on a couple of long drives.
Spouse is off the car, i use the punto and she has my city.
My car review is available on my thread - Me and my Fiat Punto in this beautiful world.Check it out.
Old 11th September 2009, 15:18   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
are all aware that the engine alone is RUN IN at the factory level for 8000kms before it is mounted to the chassis
How do we know it ran exactly for 8000 kms without even being on the chassis?

If they do test it they probably run it for sometime - nothing to do with kms.

And running a fully build car is different from running just the engine.

Another thing to note is if a ODO is showing too high a mileage before registration - it has surely been driven around to places where it wasn't supposed to go in the first place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks