Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 21:30   #16
GKS
BHPian

dont know if this is the right thread or not but can someone tell me how road tax is calculated, is it calculated on the sticker price or after adding VAT?
Old 28th August 2009, 21:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
guys, why complicate simple things?? kirans, please go through your rc book and it WILL be clearly printed in it that "LTT of Rs.xxxxxx paid"

gto, you are perhaps over reacting by stating what you did. over invoicing/under invoicing? simply get your invoice from the dealer.

kirans you can ask for the receipt but its no problem even if you dont get it since you have the rc book. the dealer is right in telling you this.
I do not think this opinion is true. My car's RC book does not state the Tax amount.

But i have received the tax receipt from the dealer.
in my view Tax receipt, RC book, Insurance document and No Pollution certificate (not needed for a new car till 1 year) are important.

I agree with GTO's view that dealer is trying to cheat.
Old 5th September 2009, 11:16   #18
BHPian

Update:
I'm still going back and forth to the dealer trying to get hold of the receipt copy. And regarding the RC book, I've got the new RTO smart card and not a regular book. It says "LTT Paid" on the reverse side, but there are no details. I'm going to the RTO office myself and if I can get the duplicate receipt, that will save me from talking to the dealer folks again. Its a shame that once the car is sold, they don't bother to even take a minute to explain or clarify anything.
Old 5th September 2009, 13:26   #19
BHPian

Please name the dealer. And I'm sure the RTO will give you a duplicate receipt for the road tax paid. Do keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
Update:
I'm still going back and forth to the dealer trying to get hold of the receipt copy. I'm going to the RTO office myself and if I can get the duplicate receipt, that will save me from talking to the dealer folks again. Its a shame that once the car is sold, they don't bother to even take a minute to explain or clarify anything.
Old 6th September 2009, 14:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I got the tax token + receipt when the car was delivered to me, plus the registration fees receipt. 2 days later I received the registration card. In West Bengal it is clearly written on the tax token that it must be in the vehicle while operating. I guess in other states also it is a must.
Old 6th September 2009, 17:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
Update:
I'm still going back and forth to the dealer trying to get hold of the receipt copy. Its a shame that once the car is sold, they don't bother to even take a minute to explain or clarify anything.
It is your right to get the tax receipt if you have got the registration done through the dealer.

i would suggest that you talk to the owner of the dealership (not the sales guys), generally his number is displayed in all good service stations / dealerships.

you explain him your issue and ask him help you get the receipt.
generally the owners are very co-operative.
Old 6th September 2009, 18:22   #22

Can someone please tell me what are the road tax & registration rates in kolkata. I couldn't find any WB/Kolkata RTO site where I can get the rates or % values. I'm about to take delivery of my new car by the end of this month.
Old 6th September 2009, 19:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

well i paid 33000 for road tax, registration , and other 'handling' charges for my i10.

22220 is road tax, 320 is registration. That makes 10460 as 'handling charges'.

On top of that I paid 1500 for audio registration (5 years @ 300 per year).

But I did not have to put up long queues in Barasat RTO (infamous for corruption), skip multiple days in office, and got my car registered (permanent) in 5 days.

Last edited by blackasta : 6th September 2009 at 20:00.
Old 6th September 2009, 20:32   #24

@blackasta
Thanks for that info

I got a printed paper dished out from my dealer which states Registration as 27,680!!! I hope this includes the tax+reg+handling. I have to grill them about the break-up I guess. Do you know if the charges you quoted are standard or % of car value?

Can you also please explain what is audio reg?

Seems like you did the reg on your own, is that so?
Old 6th September 2009, 22:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

I guess that fee is a percentage.

Well if your car has a stereo system, you should go for audio registration (thats what the law says). I was unaware of this, but the salesperson took initiative to inform me about that and got that registration done. You also have to pay extra for AC (already included in regular registration) and video equipment registration (not included in regular registration, and neither is audio). All of these show up on your registration card.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I do not think this opinion is true. My car's RC book does not state the Tax amount.

in my view Tax receipt, RC book, Insurance document and No Pollution certificate (not needed for a new car till 1 year) are important.

then perhaps you need go and check with your dealer/rto as to why the tax paid is not printed in your rc book. since your rc book is the main vehicle document, you better go to the rto and get that endorsement of tax paid in it. because several years down the line whenever you may wish to sell your car, believe you me, you will face a problem.

even the latest smart cards have the "ltt paid" printed on them. so you better check this out buddy.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

and also besides note that, your tax paid receipt carries only a name and 5 digit chassis number and no more. correct me if am wrong but your tax paid has no details of vehicle model or make etc.

so after several years whenever you wish to sell your vehicle, you WILL be asked for why your RC is not stamped with the LTT paid. please dont be cheated yourself while warning someone else about being cheated by a dealer.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

My car's registration card does NOT state anything about tax paid. We got a separate Tax token document in West Bengal that contains the breakup of the entire road tax paid, containing registration number of the car.
Mandatory items while operating a vehicle in WB includes:

1. Drivers License
2. Registration (book/card)
3. Tax token (the one I am speaking about)
4. PUC certificate
5. Insurance.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My car's registration card does NOT state anything about tax paid. We got a separate Tax token document in West Bengal that contains the breakup of the entire road tax paid, containing registration number of the car.
Mandatory items while operating a vehicle in WB includes:

1. Drivers License
2. Registration (book/card)
3. Tax token (the one I am speaking about)
4. PUC certificate
5. Insurance.
but "kirans" in in bangalore, karnataka and NOT in west bengal.
Old 9th September 2009, 01:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
but "kirans" in in bangalore, karnataka and NOT in west bengal.
Hmm, talk of different regulations in different states, and here is an example!
So as kirans is in Rome (read Bangalore), her should tally his papers with the romans (read bangaloreans) and if not satisfied, go to the roman circus (RTO) for clarification

Last edited by blackasta : 9th September 2009 at 01:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks