Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Road tax receipt

Is the road tax receipt from RTO a necessary document? I have not received the tax receipt even after two months of buying the car, and the dealer says that the registration book is sufficient and that I dont need the tax receipt. Apparently the dealer misplaced the receipt and he does not seem to be able to procure a duplicate copy for me. Can I go to the RTO directly and try to get a duplicate copy of the receipt? I've been going back and forth to the dealer, but each time he sort of makes a new excuse for it, the recent one being that the person who handled all the paperwork for my car is not working there anymore! Please advise.

Thanks,
Kiran
Old 21st August 2009, 15:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You've paid your car's road tax, you MUST get a tax receipt. Go order that dealer to procure a duplicate one for you (in case they have lost the original). You will need this tax receipt at traffic check points (Border officers insist on seeing this document), when its time to sell your car and if you ever move your state of residence.

I have a feeling that they may have over-invoiced you for the tax amount. That's why they are shying away from giving you a copy. SupremeBaleno's excellent thread.

Which car? Contact the manufacturer directly (via their website) with a complaint.
Old 21st August 2009, 16:46   #3
srinivas9446

kiran,

I agree with GTO's views and thoughts...absolutely right.

I got the tax receipt the very next day i took my car.

Old 22nd August 2009, 12:18   #4
BHPian

My car is a Fiat Palio which is now just about two months old. I'll take your advice and try to talk to the dealer higher ups. In case nothing works, is it possible for me to get the tax receipt directly from the RTO? I'll post an update after I talk to the manager. If that does not help, i'll take your advice and call the car manufacturer.
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I got my Marina registered in Ambala, Haryana. They gave me no receipt but only the RC has an endorsement that the tax has been paid one time. I got no receipts even for my earlier cars which also carried a same endorsement. Never been even asked for one up here in the north or even down south as yet. Is the receipt really such an important document and necessary if the RC has an endorsement ot hat effect?
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:21   #6
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
My car is a Fiat Palio which is now just about two months old. I'll take your advice and try to talk to the dealer higher ups. In case nothing works, is it possible for me to get the tax receipt directly from the RTO? I'll post an update after I talk to the manager. If that does not help, i'll take your advice and call the car manufacturer.
By the way, which model is your car & who is the dealer ?

Old 23rd August 2009, 13:37   #7
BHPian

I got a receipt from RTO (procured by Dealer) for the exact amount charged towards Registration, Road Tax and other expenses. The dealer handed it over the day I bought the car to get my insurance done from outside. This is for my Punto which I bought in July.

However, I didn't get one for my Wagon-R five years ago but the smart card says that the Road Tax is paid till 2019. Confused!
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:23   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
In case nothing works, is it possible for me to get the tax receipt directly from the RTO?
I don't see why not. Take your RC book + proof of identity along. Must be a standard procedure : Application form + fees = duplicate receipt. Tally the amount on the RTO receit with what you paid to the dealer. I'm willing to bet your dealer has over-invoiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
They gave me no receipt but only the RC has an endorsement that the tax has been paid one time.
Could be the way your State works. However, its more an exception rather than the rule. Whenever you pay tax to any govt. department, a receipt is always given out.
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

In AP, the moment you buy a vehicle, a temporary reg is issued by paying the full tax. This receipt then needs to be submitted to get the full registration. The RC card has the amount and validity written.
Old 26th August 2009, 00:04   #10
BHPian

guys, why complicate simple things?? kirans, please go through your rc book and it WILL be clearly printed in it that "LTT of Rs.xxxxxx paid"

gto, you are perhaps over reacting by stating what you did. over invoicing/under invoicing? simply get your invoice from the dealer.

kirans you can ask for the receipt but its no problem even if you dont get it since you have the rc book. the dealer is right in telling you this.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:03   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
gto, you are perhaps over reacting by stating what you did. over invoicing/under invoicing? simply get your invoice from the dealer.
Hey, I'm the type that's rather safe than sorry and have received a tax receipt for every car of mine.

And about the over-invoicing, please look through SupremeBaleno's thread (linked above). Its a rampant practice with rogue dealers who charge you a higher amount than the RTO tax actually paid.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
guys, why complicate simple things?? kirans, please go through your rc book and it WILL be clearly printed in it that "LTT of Rs.xxxxxx paid"

kirans you can ask for the receipt but its no problem even if you dont get it since you have the rc book. the dealer is right in telling you this.
Look at the bottom of your first page in the RC book.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Look at the bottom of your first page in the RC book.
For my Alto of 2005, it was a similar note as above for the road tax.

For the current Safari, I got the tax receipt in hand. RC book yet to reach.

So, I guess, both are legal. It is just what is practiced might differ based on location and also time.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:35   #14
BHPian

i agree with dadu.you have your RC book with you,see what is the ltt paid,cross check it with the company brochure or the break up they give you & the problem is solved.you need the tax receipt only till you dont receive the RC book to show the RTO officials.so take it easy.if he is a good reputed dealer he wont do it.if it is SUNDARAM motors in bangalore be rest assured this wont happen.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post

I think we should completely avoid these confusions by taking care of the vehicle registration process ourselves. Probably need to take half a day or perhaps a day off to do this. The dealers should just facilitate the process rather than do this themselves.

Dealers charge upto Rs 5000 as "registration, number plate, handling charges". There is absolutely no transparency in what the charges are exactly for. Ask them questions and they get uncomfortable. Some are candid enough to tell you that it includes a bribe paid to the RTO! Why on earth do I need to bribe the RTO officials when buying a new car? There is after all nothing to hide.

I think we inflict these problems on ourselves by involving middlemen - in this case the dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks