Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 22:26   #16
BHPian

• If the seats are not leather, ensure you show the Service Adviser about how clean the fabric is, and be sure you get it back in the same state
  • Post Service, ensure there is no tear in the seats. For ex some sharp objects may have pierced the fabric/leather.
  • Preferably, start noting down list of problems / issues with the vehicle one week prior to the service so you do not miss any things. Usually we tend to miss out few things.
  • Always show the attitude of no compromise with the SA. Never accept the vehicle if not fixed. They have tendency of saying we are here sir, do not worry get the vehicle back we will fix it if there is a problem again. Actually most of us get relaxed and keep skipping going to the service center back.
  • Never be in a hurry to take the vehicle back. Ensure each of things done are explained to you and ask Questions, Never believe by what is written. Usually the guys take the spares from the spares shop inhouse and forget to put in while having a casual chat with other mechanics on the floor, while the part is billed already.
  • Never go in for Express Service, 2 hours flat service kind of a thing. Its not worth it.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friend,

The point are really worth noting while going to the Service. As well as Check the things inside before you leave it for the service. If there are small items like Cd,Pen drive,Coins, Mobiles take it with you and tools etc make sure that you make your service advisor to note it in the worksheet given to you.
Old 13th December 2009, 10:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

It would be better to remove the spare tyre and keep them at home. Heard cases where new unused tyres are swapped for used ones.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:55   #19
BHPian

Most ASCs now have a detailed job card in which the Service Advisor will tick off items that are in the car, like stereo, idols, air freshener etc. All you really have to worry about is the USB sticks, CDs, cushions and other personal items, that are not fitted to the car. They even note the fuel level. Just make sure that everything is noted down correctly. I had the SA note down that there were 2 perfume bottles in the car.

Precautions to take before a Service visit-kulathunkal_job_card.jpg

I'd recommend that the stereo face-plate be left in the car, or taken off at the dealership, because there's a chance that they might disconnect it and you'll never know until you get home. If you take off the faceplate, the SA will likely mark the stereo as non-working.

In bigger service stations, there is a lower likely hood of your car being used for errands by the personnel, because every car that goes in and out of the shop needs a gate-pass, and because they have vehicles for errands. I had this problem in smaller workshops, and when asked about it, the reply was that they had to take the car to buy parts, to get correct match of paint etc. Completely untrue, as the common practice for paint matching is to take just the fuel tank lid. They can't insert a car into the scanner.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2010, 11:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

One lesson I learnt yesterday.

Be in a relaxed state of mind while taking delivery of the vehicle. Take an extra 2-3 minutes to inspect everything and leave the service centre only when fully satisfied. If you are in a hurry, or your mind is distracted somewhere, you are likely to miss out something.

I had given my Yamaha RXZ for servicing at Orion Motors (Yamaha A.S.S.). When I was inspecting the bike at the time of delivery, I noticed that the horn and indicator were not working. I opened the side panel immediately and noticed the battery was missing. I shouted at the service advisor and the battery was fitted back immediately.

It was a case of negligence from their side. My bike's battery is 3 years old and had become weak. I had asked them to charge it. The battery was kept for charging and the mechanic forgot to put it back before delivery.

I know that it was not an intentional attempt to steal the battery, but it would have caused me a lot of inconvenience if I hadn't noticed the missing battery at the time of delivery.

Rohan
Old 29th July 2010, 18:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
In bigger service stations, there is a lower likely hood of your car being used for errands by the personnel, because every car that goes in and out of the shop needs a gate-pass, and because they have vehicles for errands.
Even bigger service stations do this. Once my dad saw his car being taken out from the Popular workshop in Trivandrum immediately after giving it for service. He even got a lift in his own car to the next bus stop. Dad didn't have the courage to ask the mechanic where he was headed to, though.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 29th July 2010 at 18:37.
Old 21st August 2010, 18:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Even bigger service stations do this. Once my dad saw his car being taken out from the Popular workshop in Trivandrum immediately after giving it for service. He even got a lift in his own car to the next bus stop. Dad didn't have the courage to ask the mechanic where he was headed to, though.
HAHAHAYes, I too have seen the drivers of ASC offering lifts to people at the bus stops. I go to a service centre who has a branch in Andheri and a Body Painting shop elsewhere. Most of the drivers make a quick buck by offering lifts; additionally, they drive our cars as if its on a racing circuit
Old 19th July 2011, 11:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Precautions to take before a Service visit

Do they clean the car during service? Also what if I ask them touch up some scratches?
Old 19th July 2011, 14:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Do they clean the car during service? Also what if I ask them touch up some scratches?
Yes my friend, the car is cleaned during service. External wash and internal vacuum cleaning are compulsarily done during service. You can also opt for external wax polish and/or internal shampoo cleaning at extra cost.

If your car has some minor scratches, you can point them out to the service advisor. They would get rid of minor scratches using rubbing compond. Generally they won't charge anything extra for such small jobs.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 14:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Beware, Some times these people for get to fit the accessories back. So make sure your wheel cups, tool box are put back. Further the common mistake they do in a hurry is that they don;t keep the floor mast in proper places. Some times driver side mat will be in Passenger side and it might be kept upside down also.
Old 18th November 2011, 23:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

I prefer to remove the head unit before giving for service. I have seen for almost all my services, they have used the FM radio. The radio do drain the battery fast, without running the engine. At least in Kerala, the mechanics are really fond of FM stations. I have also noticed cars inside the work bay with radios on, but the mechanic gone to get a part from the store!
Old 30th April 2012, 00:01   #27
Mtv
BHPian

I have a point to add if I may please :

*Remove the spare tire from the boot and keep it with you before you send it,

Local Hyundai workshop replaced the alloy rimmed spare of my i20 Sportz with a steel rimmed Magna tire. When questioned, the manager said that I was mistakened and that the car comes with 4 alloy rims and a spare space saver type steel rimmed tire. I checked with a few owners, they all confirmed that the car domes with 5 alloy wheels.
Old 8th May 2012, 15:00   #28
BHPian

I'm about to go for my car service tomorrow and a crazy idea popped up.
Why can't we (customers) have an job-card like document of our own that the dealers need to sign before taking up any work ?
Is it possible/legal ? (If the dealer agrees to sign or not ; is another ball game)

Just for fun I have created a agreement/job-card (whatever you want to call it). Let me know your thought :

I/Dealer, ____________________ hereby will honor the below mentioned points and fully understand that this will be used against us (dealers) if found not complying

1. Apart from existing scratches/dents which are listed in the service booklet before taking the car in, any other damage to the car is the responsibility of the dealer and must be paid/repaired immediately at the dealer's expense

2. If the customer finds any parts missing/old parts replaced without the customer's consent, the dealership is fully responsible for a replacing it immediately at the dealer's expense

3. If the interior of the car is found to be greased or dirty after the service, the dealer shall clean or replace the parts immediately at the dealer's expense

4. The dealers would not object if the customer wants to supervise his own vehicle's service, and would be allowed in the service area without any hindrance

5. If the customer's car is not delivered at the agreed date/time, the dealer shall pay for the additional time taken for the service. The cost of the same shall be Rs. XXX per hour

Date and time:
Signature of the dealer

Mods: Please delete if inappropriate
Old 27th May 2015, 13:27   #29
BHPian

I learned a lesson few months ago which should qualify as a precaution to be taken after a service. (I could not find a better thread to post this)

After 7 weeks of extensive body work / pain / refitting, our 1986 Maruti 800 was delivered home (more on that makeover in a separate post). All good. Two days later I was driving the car to Salt Lake on a Sunday; 4 km into the trip I was about to ascend a flyover (speed about 50 kmph) when I hear a faint periodic clinking sound which after a hundred metres increased in volume and then -- with a loud plonk the car starts to bounce around the rear left wheel. I lost control and just about managed to come to a halt near the divider. On alighting I discover the cause: 3 of the 4 wheel nuts have come loose and dropped off. The fourth is precariously joined and about to come off. The wheel has partially collapsed about the 3 (open) bolts and is wobbling each time it makes a revolution. The angle of slant was such that new nuts could not be fastened without using a jack to align the wheel straight.

It turns out the workshop had removed the wheels during the servicing at the end and somewhere along the way forgotten to check this particular wheel on completion. I consider myself fortunate that it was a Sunday and I was on the rightmost lane near the divider, that also on a wide 5 lane road; it could easily have been much worse, especially if the fourth nut also fell out. A simple unsophisticated error that could cause lot of damage.

It may be a good idea to check whether tyres are securely fastened after receiving back the car, especially if there has been any work on them.
Old 30th March 2016, 12:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbleguru View Post
I'm about to go for my car service tomorrow and a crazy idea popped up.
Why can't we (customers) have an job-card like document of our own that the dealers need to sign before taking up any work ?
Is it possible/legal ? (If the dealer agrees to sign or not ; is another ball game)

Just for fun I have created a agreement/job-card (whatever you want to call it). Let me know your thought :

I/Dealer, ____________________ hereby will honor the below mentioned points and fully understand that this will be used against us (dealers) if found not complying

1. Apart from existing scratches/dents which are listed in the service booklet before taking the car in, any other damage to the car is the responsibility of the dealer and must be paid/repaired immediately at the dealer's expense

2. If the customer finds any parts missing/old parts replaced without the customer's consent, the dealership is fully responsible for a replacing it immediately at the dealer's expense

3. If the interior of the car is found to be greased or dirty after the service, the dealer shall clean or replace the parts immediately at the dealer's expense

4. The dealers would not object if the customer wants to supervise his own vehicle's service, and would be allowed in the service area without any hindrance

5. If the customer's car is not delivered at the agreed date/time, the dealer shall pay for the additional time taken for the service. The cost of the same shall be Rs. XXX per hour

Date and time:
Signature of the dealer

Mods: Please delete if inappropriate
I'm sure you will get attention with that prank for April is near.

Also as long as the sheet of paper has zero legal implication it is as good as the one that SA gives to you. Also the job-card can take up a few of your suggestions and implement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks