Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 21:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dealer Experience - Sanya Auto, New Delhi

Hi BHPians!

Lately I've been researching a lot on Punto and i20.

Though I've been fascinated by Grande Punto ever since I had laid my eyes on it in the Auto Expo! The i20 hasn't failed to intrigue me either!

So, I finally decided to check out the car in person at Sanya Automobiles(TATA/FIAT showroom in Defence Colony)

I was surprised to see no boards/directions to the showroom. It was only while searching around when I saw a Punto and a Nano side by side I got to know that we've reached the place!

Exterior(Showroom)

The showroom looked inviting with a few red Puntos, a Linea and two Nanos effectively attracting the attention of those passing by.

I was really excited so we(me and my dad) headed in.

Interiors(Showroom)

As soon as I entered, I saw a red Indigo CS towards the left side! God, I had never seen a more beautiful looking CS before(maybe all showroom fresh cars look that way!)

And a Red Linea towards the right. My dad was instantly drawn to the Linea and went over to check it out.

Sales guy-Customer interaction

I was greeted by a sales guy who seemed very considerate and was constantly asking whether we needed and beverages etc.

Then we got down to talk about the Punto 1.4 Emotion pack.
Then my dad asked about the different colors its available in and suddenly for some reason I could feel the disinterest of the sales guy towards our query.

We got a vague response - "You will get some of the best colors"
I was going through the 'photocopy' of their Punto catalogue at the same time, since they didn't seem to have the original one, so no use seeing different color names!

I finally asked if there was any Punto available for a TD. Unfortunately, they had a 1.2 Dynamic only!

* My dad then asked about the 'feeling of decreased power in 2nd and 3rd gears at lower revs' that many Punto users had experienced.

I'll quote his reply here
Quote:
Fiat deliberately underpowered the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears because in normal city driving you wont go above those gears therefore the underpower will enable the car to be more fuel efficient!!
I didnt find it logical at all!!

Anyways, then we went upstairs to see a red Punto 1.4 Emotion pack.

The Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack

Honestly, the car looked amazing! I was literally standing there for quite a while admiring the beauty of the creation of one of the most innovative minds in the world!

It all looked so perfect!
Finally the sales guy opened the driver side door, which opened with a jerk in a notched manner!(seemed odd!)

Finally got in the drivers seat!

Car Interiors

The steering looked amazing with all those controls and nice black finish.
The speedo and tachometer were so perfectly made!

but as soon as I looked at the central console, I was heart-broken! I was so hoping that I dont encounter any hitch in the 'liking' process but, it happened.

The bad quality of plastic used was so apparent. Not only the centre console was affected, but also the door opening handles, A/C vents, ignition key area etc.
I was kinda repulsed by the interiors.

I finally told the sales guy that overall the exteriors looked amazing but the interiors are plain crappy!!

Take a look at what I'm talking about

Dealer Experience - Sanya Auto, New Delhi-04102009192.jpg

Now imagine this type of silver/grey plastic all over the dashboard!! :(

So as I complained about the interiors, I got a really wierd reply!

Quote:
Sales guy - "Sir, you've to adjust with that. No car is perfect"
I was literally shocked at that statement!

If someone is going to buy a car, will he buy something he doesnt like and then try to adjust to it or would he buy the one he likes the most.

This was a complete deal breaker for me and I walked out. Though my heart felt for Punto which had amazing exteriors, didnt quite live up to it regarding the interiors!

And since I had read that the new ones come with better interiors, I'm gonna give another try to a different dealership!

Thanks for reading through my experience.
I made it as accurate as I could recall!

Thanks all!

@Mods - Please notify me if any of the above content is inappropriate etc.
Thanks

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2009 at 09:34.
Old 4th October 2009, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sohail, interior quality is one of the very few chinks in the Punto's Armor.

The salesguy is actually not wrong No car is perfect.
Old 4th October 2009, 23:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yea! I cant accept giving up on Punto! will do a TD and try to find the real gem in it!

But I was really put-off by the salesguy's attitude 'You've to adjust!'
Old 5th October 2009, 00:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yea! I cant accept giving up on Punto! will do a TD and try to find the real gem in it!

What possibly can the poor guy say?

If you are particular on better interiors, you can also check out the i20.
Old 5th October 2009, 01:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yea! same day I checked out the i20 @ Samara Hyundai!

In comparison the interiors are grand in the i20! but waiting time is like 2 months and no discounts! :(

I really wanted to love Punto, i bet a lotta people do want the same. But, without the quality interiors it just feels kinda incomplete.

I definitely hope my opinion will change after a TD!
Old 5th October 2009, 01:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Like its already been discussed on the forum, both i20 and Punto are excellent cars... and both come bundled with their resective strengths and weaknesses

Punto +ves

1. Punto rides/handles better
2. Punto is cheaper

i20 +ves
1. Better After Sales
2. Better Interiors

I personally chose the i20, but the Punto is a great car too.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 5th October 2009 at 02:02.
Old 5th October 2009, 03:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!

btw was just reading here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...l-added-6.html

real useful info!

My main concern is, that many ppl recommend i20 for city driving and Punto for highways!

I guess I'll do multiple TDs with different road conditions to assess!
Old 5th October 2009, 07:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
You would think in our country, folks would understand customer service better. I was shopping around for a house and I told the builder, that the doors he had constructed (main doors, kitchen doors and any other door), no way a large fridge or dryers, washing machines could be brought in.

And he gave me the exact same quote. I was so ticked off. Every one knows the property rates in Mumbai and for houses that are so expensive, you would HOPE not to get that kind of answer.

Another experience at Lifestyle about buying a bathroom stand for over a grand and the sales guy quoted the same thing.

Anyway - did not want to hijack the thread. Its just that I get so ticked off with the chalta hai attitude. I will settle for a better answer like
"I appreciate your feedback and I will certainly pass this along to our higher ups. For the price and package, this is what is being offered today. I expect them to conduct their market analysis and we can hope that they make the necessary changes"

BTW - I settled for the Punto MJD E+. i20 Crdi Asta(O) did not make sense to me (to me only).

Last edited by aarenes : 5th October 2009 at 07:45.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

^Exactly!

btw any idea whether Fiat is gonna improve the interiors or anything?
Old 5th October 2009, 18:23   #10
BHPian

Interiors are not going to improve anytime soon since they already have Waiting time that means if not you someone else is ready to adjust with same type of interior, Then why should they stop the production to change the whole setup of interior and make those ready buyers furious.
Interior shouldnt be a deal breaker brother, Well driving also wont make you very very happy though. But just the sheer beauty of the car and solid built is amazing. Features, road presence, reliability, Handling and Stability on road are other things you will love the car for. Which even i did. best of luck. I am going on a 20KMs testdrive tomm on 1.4 will post the review on your thread. Mine always seem to get deleted.
Old 6th October 2009, 01:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

^Totally agree with you! the car is a real eye catcher!

I remember one instance when while driving, I noticed a Punto coming up from behind, and I'm like constantly gazing in the RVM. I just couldn't get enough of it!(though I've seen it a few times already, it never fails to impress me with the looks!)

I'll really appreciate it if you post your experiences here/ or in a new thread!

Thanks!
Old 6th October 2009, 15:38   #12
BHPian

Well I just test drove a punto 1.4 Emotion pack for 15-20KMS. My experience as below.

Well yes the quality of interior is quite average, not what you expect for a 6L car. My father for the first time saw the car and was quite depressed because of this. He wanted to see the boot space, But the whole boot lever with petrol lever was coming off, I just kept my mouth shut so he doesnt notice this, The very nice sales executive from RANA motors then opened the boot with the key. Anyway Enough has been talked about plastics so I wont repeat the same.
Today somehow i didnt feel second gear to be very very sluggish, It was just okay still nothing great, sometimes you have to press the accelerator hard, to make the heavy metal car move (not completely floor it though) Engine is responsive when you push it, but on casual run its not a performer at all and its definately not a light car, which my dad didnt like at all. His words "For city you need lighter hatch. This is even heavier than a corolla." To be honest, I did got used to driving the car, but its not really a drive that you call fun. The tilt steering also doesnt has much tilt, You need to adjust the height of the seat.
I drove the car on ring road and from metro till my house where i will be driving everyday. I did got used to the car. I was quite happy when I got out of it greeted goodbye to sales executive.
But when i sat in my 1.3L 1997 Esteem to leave for office, it suddenly felt exhilirating. lolz. The car i always thought to be slow suddenly seemed so damn peppy. This has confused me really alot. Though I love the car and had decided on it. But this test drive has confused me a little more dont want to regret my decision, Wish Fiat had made this car a little light and more peppy for city use. Have decided to TD i20 Asta once again.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:08   #13
MCR
BHPian

@somebodystopme, Yes the power delivery in Punto is much more linear and it is not sudden(moment the turbo kicks in) as in Swift. Also the high speed stability is far better when compared to swift. I am comparing Swift since I haven't driven the I20 Diesel and also not interested in one because of my previous A.S.S experience with Hyundai. However the third gear in punto can drive in the range from 20kmp-h to 80kmph and that is good enough for the city.

May be you can try an experiment in Punto.Slot to the third gear and try to move the car with half clutch and fully release the clutch once the car starts moving. You will be in for a surprise.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
@somebodystopme, Yes the power delivery in Punto is much more linear and it is not sudden(moment the turbo kicks in) as in Swift. Also the high speed stability is far better when compared to swift. I am comparing Swift since I haven't driven the I20 Diesel and also not interested in one because of my previous A.S.S experience with Hyundai. However the third gear in punto can drive in the range from 20kmp-h to 80kmph and that is good enough for the city.

May be you can try an experiment in Punto.Slot to the third gear and try to move the car with half clutch and fully release the clutch once the car starts moving. You will be in for a surprise.
I am talking about Petrol Punto not the diesel one. But yes still what you are saying is true even on petrol punto, in third gear you can go from 40-80KMPS, definitely not 20-80KMPH (it'll pick up like a snail then I am sure). But I am more used to shifting gears often and keep the RPM steady at 2-3.5. May be its habit.

Lets see, I dont know may I'll end up buying Punto only whats the harm as long as you can adjust with slow acceleration.
Old 6th October 2009, 21:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting your TD experience! Really appreciate it!

I must admit, I'm heartbroken! :(
Since I'll be driving in the city most of the time, this doesn't seem to be the car for me!

Anyways, I'll give Punto another chance to impress me via a TD, before I move on!

Thanks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks