Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:24   #16
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for booking your dream machine.

You made a wise decision to stick to your choice of car and change the dealer.
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:32   #17
BHPian

Congrats on your new car Gilead. Hope your experience with MPL ford is good.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:38   #18
BHPian

MPL/CF - My Experience

Well, I am amazed at the type of different experiences one can have at the same dealership. More details will follow in a separate thread sometime later.

Today I booked a Fiesta SXi 1.6 at Chennai Ford. The sales executive was a lady and must say, all the experience I had gained from TBHP came into effect the moment talks began.

Note: I was not keen on test driving the car..I am putting total faith on fellow BHPian's posts/reviews regarding this (Earlier I was going for Linea..more on that will follow once I post my own booking/initial ownership thread). However, I took a test ride at the rear since I have never sat in the rear in my Ikon..hence not aware of rear comfort.

MPL Experience
==============
First, I had approached MPL since I had purchased my Ikon in 2003 thru them and stuck to them for servicing till date.

Blah..Blah..Blah followed for couple of minutes regarding the car features. Since I had made up my mind on Fiesta (either SXi or S), I was not too keen on wasting time listening to the sales talk.

Next, as usual, they showed me the price list. Based on TBHP threads, the moment I asked them for a complete breakup of all costs like regn/insurance etc, they were on the defensive.

MPL also first tried to dissuade me into taking insurance on my own..however, later on they agreed. The final OTR price came to around 735840/- (Insurance/Essential Pack+3M Exterior/3 year EW excluded - as part of loyalty bonus for Ikon, I will get the last one free)
No further discounts. I too was not keen on pressing for any further freebies, since my experience suggests, there is no free lunch, and somewhere something will get compromised.

The test ride was given to me not in a TD vehicle but a ready-for-delivery S model..as soon as I became aware of the same, I asked the salesguy to return back to the showroom. The ride was not more than 1 KM.

Chennai Ford Experience
=======================
Ditto as MPL. Except this time it was a lady. Once I made it clear that I will only opt for ex-showroom+regn charges, there was no further pressure on taking insurance etc from them, though they kept on repeating all crap regarding tieups with BA etc. Their final OTR came to 734790/- excluding all as mentioned above.

Pitting both the dealerships
============================
Once I realised the CF is lower by around 1K, I confronted MPL. Even after stressing that myself having been a loyal customer for them for almost 7 yrs, still they could not give a best price compared to CF..who did not even know that I already have MPL price with me. I strictly told them that for me 1K is not an issue..however since they do not care regarding loyalty, I am proceeding with CF...unless MPL gives me an OTR of 730000/-. I also assured them that I will be buying at least 15K worth of accessories.

Soon after, I contacted CF and asked them for the same OTR of 730000/- but this time the strategy was to reveal to them that since I am an existing MPL client, the price difference was not too high to switch sides and hence I will stick to MPL. During this talk when I informed her about buying 15K of accessories as well, immediately, she told me that she will be able to offer 5K discount if I confirm the same during booking, to which I agreed.

The lady even came over to my residence to confirm the deal and take the booking amount yday. But I insisted upon giving the cheque at the showroom itself so that I can see all the paperwork reqd as well as talk to their finance/insurance sales team regarding loan/insurance options.
However, could not visit the showroom because of work. Also, was waiting, if MPL could come up with a better offer. MPL guy followed up with me a number of times and apologised to me for not being able to offer a better deal inspite of pressurizing his GM but assured me that he will help me further down the road during delivery/servicing etc. My impresssion about this guy has been good..no complaints on that front..hence told him to hang on since I will be finalizing in a day or two. Further, based on Gilead's experience of nasty suprise on the day of booking, wanted to keep my options open.

Booking Day surprise
===================
When today noon I landed up at CF with the chequebook, I was surprised to see that their freshly printed price list exactly matched with that of MPL. When I pointed out the same, the lady tried to wriggle out of the situation saying that FORD has asked them to ensure that there is no price difference! However, after she spoke to her superior, she came back to me saying that earlier offer still holds good and the 5K discount on accessories also will be given to me (verbal commitment).

Finally
========
I handed over the cheque for 25K. Delivery promised before 20th Dec. Proforma invoice was given as per the new price list..however, the difference that needs to be paid i.e, based on old price, 734790-25000=709790/- at the time of delivery was handwritten on the proforma invoice and countersigned by CF. I hope they do not invoke the clause about price can be changed without notice!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed till them

Will be getting the insurance from New India, since my friend, who helped in guiding me buy my first Car (Ikon) has been doing the same thru them from 1994 onwards - total of 4 cars till now. That thru the same New India staff who has come up the ladder from being a agent to area supervisor to something big since 1990. And when few years back he had an accident with his Palio, this guy helped him making a claim of 85K.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

It depends on how good the sales person is.!
Each dealer company will have 2 or 3 sales persons and each one's approach and convincing power will be different.
So that may be reason MPL is good for some and bad for some as same in the case of CF also?
Old 10th December 2009, 15:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

sanjayc, I was the guy who had the lousy experience at CF. Like Nair said, it all depends on the sales guy who approaches you first. In my case, it was a complete newbie who himself said that this was this third job of the year, having quit Maruti and GM before joining Ford. He told me the wrong price and discounts and his manager gave a completely new price when I went to make the booking. I was no longer interested in spending 8 lacs at CF. I shifted to MPL where the sales experience was stellar. The price quoted in both places was identical. I would recommend Mr. Michael at MPL for anyone interested in picking up a Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
The test ride was given to me not in a TD vehicle but a ready-for-delivery S model..as soon as I became aware of the same, I asked the salesguy to return back to the showroom. The ride was not more than 1 KM.
This is quite shady of MPL. I know for a fact that they have a TD S which has ~29K on the odo. It's a fantasitically maintained car and completely rattle free with brutal power. I hope my car is as rattle free at 29K.

Last edited by Gilead : 10th December 2009 at 15:46.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:27   #21
BHPian

@Gilead,

Based on your posts only I was motivated for Fiesta..otherwise earlier I had made up my mind on a Linea earlier. However, with so much issues posted in the linea forums, and myself being a current Ikon owner since 2003 with MPL, decided to stick with a known devil (Ford) than an unknown one (Fiat).

I do not have anything against MPL at all. Last 7 year, touchwood, I did not have much of an issue either with my Ikon or with MPL. The only thing which pissed me off with MPL was inspite of telling them that I had been a loyal customer to MPL for 7 yrs, they are not willing to match CF price (only a diff of 1K). Even the Ford accessory pricelist of CF has about 5% difference on the lower side compared to MPL.

Another issue with MPL I have noticed in the servicing (Vadapalani) that the service reps are everytime new I visit. I am not sure about CF on this, hence decided to go with CFL for now. That does not, though, stop me from switching back to MPL for servicing needs, if required;-}

Other minor things which attracted me for CF this time is the proximity - I stay in Ashok Nagar/almost near Vadapalani - hence both Mpl/Cf service center are close to me.

Plus, MPL showroom at Nandanam has a cramped parking area where they keep their delivery/demo vehicles compare to CF. I was worried about my new car getting scratched etc - driving during eve peak hour traffic from Nandanam to Ashok Nagar via T Nagar will be a nightmare when I take delivery compared to 100 ft road from CF. Since I have not driven the Fiesta during TD, not sure if I can handle it properly during rush hour traffic at least for the initial couple of days.

I know I am nitpicking here..but well..that is part of the whole fun of owning a car.

God help the sales lady when I do the PDI!!!
Old 10th December 2009, 16:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Gilead,

Based on your posts only I was motivated for Fiesta..otherwise earlier I had made up my mind on a Linea earlier. However, with so much issues posted in the linea forums, and myself being a current Ikon owner since 2003 with MPL, decided to stick with a known devil (Ford) than an unknown one (Fiat).
The Linea is more probably a bit better looking, but I wanted a driver's car. Can't go wrong with the Fiesta.
Quote:
they are not willing to match CF price (only a diff of 1K). Even the Ford accessory pricelist of CF has about 5% difference on the lower side compared to MPL.
MPL must have been busy complaining to Ford about the difference of 1K at CF. That must have forced CF to revise their price as well.

Quote:
Another issue with MPL I have noticed in the servicing (Vadapalani) that the service reps are everytime new I visit.
Anachronix pretty much said the same thing. I think I will be giving my car for service at CF. I live in Annanagar and their service center is less than 5 mins away.
Quote:
Plus, MPL showroom at Nandanam has a cramped parking area where they keep their delivery/demo vehicles compare to CF. I was worried about my new car getting scratched etc
This is true and they did scratch my car somewhere and then fixed it. I suspect an Endy which was standing next to my car on the day of delivery. They were parked so close together that their doors could hit each other if one were not careful.
Quote:
God help the sales lady when I do the PDI!!!
Make sure she is around with pen and paper to take notes. What color did you book? Do they have the car in stock?

Last edited by Gilead : 10th December 2009 at 16:46.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:59   #23
BHPian

Yep, I was bowled over by Linea looks. However, on going thru the tech specs, the turning radius of 5.5m compared to 4.9m for Fiesta (same as Ikon) was a bit of bother, among other niggling issues I observerd in the Linea forums. Further, I am not too particular about exterior looks but more about driving/interior comfort..I want my interiors to be plush.. am perfectly ok if I drive in a with new car and nobody gives it a second look or notices;-}

I was actually keen on booking the S Aquaria but then at the last moment opted for the SXi to have more comfortable ride - have 3 kids, growing fast - neither much of a high-speed driver - 70-80kmph is good enough for me.

I booked a Moondust Silver (my Ikon is Panther Black)..no ready stock avlbl but she confirmed that some 3 silvers are part of order they have placed with Ford few days back and is delivery expected before 15th. I can have one of these.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I too was not keen on pressing for any further freebies, since my experience suggests, there is no free lunch, and somewhere something will get compromised.
Quote:
Even after stressing that myself having been a loyal customer for them for almost 7 yrs, still they could not give a best price compared to CF..who did not even know that I already have MPL price with me. I strictly told them that for me 1K is not an issue..however since they do not care regarding loyalty, I am proceeding with CF...unless MPL gives me an OTR of 730000/-. I also assured them that I will be buying at least 15K worth of accessories.

Soon after, I contacted CF and asked them for the same OTR of 730000/- but this time the strategy was to reveal to them that since I am an existing MPL client, the price difference was not too high to switch sides and hence I will stick to MPL. During this talk when I informed her about buying 15K of accessories as well, immediately, she told me that she will be able to offer 5K discount if I confirm the same during booking, to which I agreed.
It sounds like you are contradicting yourself...
Old 10th December 2009, 17:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I booked a Moondust Silver (my Ikon is Panther Black)..no ready stock avlbl but she confirmed that some 3 silvers are part of order they have placed with Ford few days back and is delivery expected before 15th. I can have one of these.
I would suggest that you visit the yard at Poonamallee or wherever it is and take a look at all three and pick one. Don't forget to note the VIN. Yours will most probably be a Nov manufactured car. The VIN will confirm it.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:22   #26
BHPian

@Nihkil,
Nope. By freebies, here I actually meant the mudflaps/rubber mats etc being given. I mean the dealers are qouting insurance for 28-30K and then giving 10K worth of accesories/3m/sun film..so where is the freebie here? I as well go for insurance myself and then pick & choose accessories myself and get further discount maybe.

Also, freebies and discounts, IMO, are not one and the same thing. I will prefer a cash discount instead of some non-genuine mud flaps/rubber mats. I have nothing against discounts as such - I love them. For example, take any magazine subscription for 2 years and they will offer you a host of freebies - most will be China-made and will be unusable/useless stuff. In such scenarios I will prefer to have the discounted subscription price and free gift vouchers instead. Bottomline is, it depends from one offer to another.

In my dealings with MPL/CF, I have not asked for any free gifts as such, since I am sure, more often than not, this will be of sub-standard quality. Have read various Fiesta forums, and have noticed how non-genuine Ford spoilers/mats etc have been provided by the dealers.

The 5K discount again is where I am invoiced 5K less on the total accessories I select. Not that the 5K is substituted with some perfumes/idols etc.

Hope I have been able to clarify my contradictory position;-}
Old 10th December 2009, 17:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I would suggest that you visit the yard at Poonamallee or wherever it is and take a look at all three and pick one. Don't forget to note the VIN. Yours will most probably be a Nov manufactured car. The VIN will confirm it.
Yep..thanks for the suggestion..already taken the logic for VIN decoding from @Wildon yday (before that I tested his funda by giving my Ikon VIN and guess what - he was spot on regarding the details).

Have asked the salesgirl regarding the yard visit..she is ok to give the location/address and on prodding further, if I can change the color if I do not like the silver color, she told if the selected color is avlbl, it can be done.

The way I understand is, dealers are ordering some fast moving colors on their own and keeping some stock in addition to the customer ordered choices..maybe to just fill up the container enough to have a full shipment which can be economically justified. Hence, they should be willing to accomodate as far as possible.

The good thing was currently CF has run out of stocked vehichles since when I queried them regarding current availabilty of any colors, they replied in negative..neither they tried pushing me into selecting a specific color. Hence my assumption of zero stock.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping they do not throw a surprise
Old 10th December 2009, 18:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and on prodding further, if I can change the color if I do not like the silver color, she told if the selected color is avlbl, it can be done.
You must have seen hundreds of Moondust Silver Fiestas on the road by now. It's a fairly common and a conservative color. I like the Morello and the newly launched Sea Grey. See if you can spot them in the yard.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:21   #29
BHPian

@Gilead, having a black ikon currently, the consensus at home is a lighter color. The deal is - I get to select the car brand/model - wifey/kids choose the color. I liked the sea grey color - saw a displayed ikon at CF in the same - but maintaining a dark color is a real pain in the rear and at the wrong side of 30's, have no enthusiasm to wax/polish/wash everyday personally - that way I would end up maintaining the same rather than enjoy the driving.

Another dilemna is the ORVM chrome with dark color - it surely is an eye-sore - in my opinion - with silver somehow it is getting a bit muted and hard to notice..so there!

Maybe after few years, turning silver to aquarius/grey/morello will be a little easier;-}
Old 11th December 2009, 13:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sanjayc;1627294Another dilemna is the ORVM chrome with dark color - it surely is an eye-sore - in my opinion - with silver somehow it is getting a bit muted and hard to notice..so there![/quote]
Yeah, the chrome ORVM is a hit or a miss. Some love it, some hate it. The SXi grill is also chrome, so you would hardly have any contrast at all.

Most Viewed