Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 10:07   #1
BHPian

Audi Delhi - Turned disaster into triumph

Hi folks,

I wanted to share my recent experience with Audi Delhi. After months of trying to figure out which car I should get, I decided on an Audi A4 2.0 TFSI in black with a mustang/cinnamon brown interior.

Audi Gurgaon quoted a 4 month wait for this configuration. I then called up Audi Delhi, and they said they have one in stock, but is a Model Year 2009, without the new style mirrors and LED taillights which the newer model (Model year 2010) has. For this, they gave me about 1.4L off the price. They also threw in genuine Audi mud flaps, rubber mats (with the A4 logo) and a body cover - totaling to about 20K.

I went to see the actual car, loved it, didn't have a hassle with the regular tailights so went ahead and arranged the payment, with delivery to be taken in a few days after that.

When I went to take the delivery, they made me wait for about 1.5-2 hours. I found this a little strange, but they kept saying they're cleaning and doing the final PDI.

Now, I have a very very alert driver, who's like a family member. He went snooping around their yard, and immediately came and got me. When I went with him, I found some guys trying their best to remove some scratches from the car, using some polish. On closer inspection, there was a large dent in the door panel. I just lost it, and demanded my money back immediately, more for this blatant dishonesty than anything else.

Luckily, their GM (Vinit Huria) came out at that same time, and immediately lambasted his people for trying to pass of this car to me. He's a genuinely good guy, and has been extremely helpful through this process.

Anyway, they said they would try and find another car for me. The problem is the 2.0L petrol is not a popular engine - most people just buy the cars for the badge rather than wanting to get the right engine.

After about 2-3 days of going back and forth, they could not find a black car, and offered me a silver car with black interior, a 2010 model year, just manufactured - but asked me to pay 1L more. I refused, saying that they had agreed to a contract regaridng a certain configuration, and they had to keep to that or return every last cent, along with all bank charges (HDFC loan).

To cut a long story short, they finally agreed, and I took delivery 2 weeks back. This time, everything went smoothly, PDI was fine etc. They arranged a driver to drive the car home with me (Audi Delhi is on Mathura road, a horribly crowded road at the best of times), and then sent someone home to administer their so called special coating (basically a coat of wax that is buffed in well), fix the license plates etc.

The point is they did manage to rescue a potential disaster and turn it around very well. In hindsight, I do like the silver with black more than my earlier choice, plus got the latest car at the earlier price. They have been quite diligent in their follow up, and thus earned a reference from me as well, which would get them another sale quite soon.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great buy. Congratulations. Thanks to the PDI that TBHP has come up with, so many potential lemons have been discovered before being handed off to unsuspecting customers.

There is still some hope left in this world
Old 11th January 2010, 18:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Audi had better step on the gas, this is not the first time I've heard of Audi dealerships botching up deliveries. Even some A4 ownership reports on the forum speak of a poor sales experience. Audi's trying to catch up with BMW & Mercedes....they simply cannot take away from the charm of premium car ownership for their customers.

Had you conducted a detailed PDI before placing your order? Did the dent occur after your PDI and before delivery? Shame on them for trying to cover up.

Either ways, I'm glad that they stuck to their original commitment and gave you a 2010 car at the agreed price. Congratulations. How about a detailed ownership report thread with pictures?
Old 11th January 2010, 18:33   #4
BHPian

Really lucky you, managed to escape from a black car.simply the wrong colour to buy looks amazing but keeping it clean, iTs more like you having to wipe it thrice a day.belive me no amount of wiping will help. you would have just cleaned the car and come back later to find the thin layer of dust visible to your eye settled on the car within a few hours.Better off with the silver colour.coongrats on the buy
Old 11th January 2010, 18:51   #5
BHPian

GTO - the dent occured after I had first seen the car. Apparently, someone in the stockroom hit the door with another car's door.

Will post a detailed ownership experience soon.

Abhishek - agree abt the black color. Later, also saw a worn mustang brown interior in one of their test drive cars - looked very worn - black just looks much sportier as well.
Old 11th January 2010, 19:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant03 View Post
Luckily, their GM (Vinit Huria) came out at that same time, and immediately lambasted his people for trying to pass of this car to me. He's a genuinely good guy, and has been extremely helpful through this process.
But my thinking is, what would they do with that car. It would anyway be passed on to someone after they fix it up.

It may be the general strategy to lambast the workers in front when somebody has found this out although the GM may be knowing it already.
Old 11th January 2010, 22:55   #7
BHPian

Where are the detailed pics now? Heheheheh. Congrats buddy.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 11th January 2010 at 22:56.
Old 13th January 2010, 10:37   #8
BHPian

The damaged car was apparently returned to Audi. Pics and ownership details by this weekend.

Most Viewed