Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 21:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi

It seems tsk13 is the only one with positive experience!(maybe because then the bodyshop mgr was Mr. Yogesh)
dude you're really lucky!

I had a hopeless experience with them today!!
I had given my i20 for some dent-repair/painting work (bodyshop mgr now was 'Mr. Daljeet')

While they repaired the affected parts well, they 'silently' damaged and repainted my i20's whole left fender while it was in for repairs and did a ULTRA crappy repaint job on the fender damaged by them!!!

While this was happening, I got a call from Mr. Daljeet that they 'discovered' a scratch on the left fender!!

I was like WTH! it wasn't there when I left it at the dealership!
to which he agreed that he too was sure that it wasn't there before!
*(I have recorded telephone conversations of these episodes)*

Finally when I reached there ~ 5:30pm today, he showed me the car and that all the damage was repaired etc. and also showed me the part they had damaged and said that he'd 'taken care of it'

They'd covered the whole car with some kind of 'polish' and I wasnt able to feel the smoothness etc.
They didn't even clean it up properly and were asking for a 10/10 rating!

When I reached home, I was cleaning up my car so that I could cover it and while doing so, I discovered that the fender which was damaged by them hadn't been through rubbing!!

The paint surface is now feeling like a sandpaper!!! I'm doubting whether they clear coated it at all or not!!

Also the rear-left door that had to be repaired, they did such a lousy job on it that now,
even when its closed the rear upper part of the door is protruding out!
(giving the impression that the door is open)

I'm highly infuriated with what they've done to my 1st beloved car! that too when its just 1.5months old!

Its clearly their mistake and not to mention lousy service/repair job
even when they delayed the delivery!

Mr. Daljeet promised delivery on Sunday(17th Jan) but he delayed it to Monday and that too, 'evening' so they can give away a car after 'lemoning' it!

I'll escalate this issue with HMIL etc.

and while I'm at it, please guide as to what else should I do do get my car back in shape!

PS. I'll be posting the pics in the morning

PPS. It seems Hyundai service is declining with quite a few complaint threads coming in lately!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2010, 02:25   #2
BHPian

Dont worry, the email ID works like magic , the company Hyundai is not at fault, its dealerships are. Whenever complaints are brought to notice of the company, they do take action it seems.

Hope your baby is as good as new soon. Also for body work, try local garages also, they do a pretty good job at very little cost. My santro had an accident and one of its door had to be dented and fully painted. I got the job done through a local garage in South Delhi who charged me 1/3 of the quote the A.S.S. gave me, he used Du Pont paint (same as one in A.S.S.) and did a pretty good job. He had even told me not to pay if I didnt like what he did, but the end finish was fantastic.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks man! will do that only from now!

I used to think Dealership service guys are experienced and stuff! unfortunately not!!

also I'll have to find another Hyundai A.S.S. centre to service my car!

btw uploading pics in a bit...
Old 19th January 2010, 18:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sohail99, take the car and get on to the head of that Daljeet. I mean it's no merry go round that any one can take you for a ride. You should take your car to the center again and tell them to repair; if they don't agree politely, don't hesitate to use pressure tactics. And since you have the telephonic conversations, do play them before the Manager if he's not accepting the fault. Moreover, how did you record the conversations?

And any idea if Mr.Yogesh is still there?

f1head, a paintjob done in proper Paint Shop is worthwhile the money than getting the same from roadside garage. No matter what paint you use, a proper enclosure with built-in oven is the best solution. This is available with certain local garages and with almost all Authorised Service Centers.

From now on, do take a quote from Pandit & Co. before heading to authorised centers. I just saw a complete denting cum new painting of a City by them and it's impeccable. The re-painting of my Santro's fender by MGF guys now proves to be a shoddy piece of work. Paint has chipped from 2 places probably on account of bruises whereas a scratch should've been there. Seems they did less coat of paint than required.

Last edited by tsk13 : 19th January 2010 at 18:28.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
f1head, a paintjob done in proper Paint Shop is worthwhile the money than getting the same from roadside garage. No matter what paint you use, a proper enclosure with built-in oven is the best solution. This is available with certain local garages and with almost all Authorised Service Centers.
I think its still worth it, the service station quote was 12k for denting + painting. I got it done for Rs.3.5k majority of which was paint cost, labour was dirt cheap. Its been an year and the paint still looks new and better than a two-three year old silver Santro that is parked next to mine.

I really don't know about the oven and all and how it affects the paint process and final job, but his work was impressive for the finish atleast . Durability will be seen in another 2-3 years.If needed I can use the 8.5k + interest saved 2-3 years down the line to get the part(s) painted again.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check out these pics of the rear door that had been through dent repair!

seems like they bent it!

First pic is of the normal right rear door taken from the back with the camera resting on the side of the hatch!

Second pic is of the defective rear door that was 'bent in the process of dent repair'( I guess)

again taken with the camera resting on the side of the hatch!

(so that you get the real picture of the protrusion from the same viewing point on both sides)
Attached Thumbnails
Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-abcd0001.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-abcd0002.jpg  

Old 19th January 2010, 21:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
A paintjob done in proper Paint Shop is worthwhile the money than getting the same from roadside garage. No matter what paint you use, a proper enclosure with built-in oven is the best solution. This is available with certain local garages and with almost all Authorised Service Centers.
I am fully with tsk13 on this and this comes from experience. After owning a Maruti 800 and selling it off after 1.5L kms, I had got it repainted from many garages in a time frame of 6 - 7 years. Of course it was the first car and I was a noob then. The finish of the paint on my 800 wasnt good but the experience surely was.

After trying many of these so called Du Pont paints etc, I am now extremely clear that the paint work has to be done at a good garage with proper paint booth and oven. When the door side on my accent was damaged (my wife opened the door and an oncoming biker rammed into it), I was clear that it will be painted at the A.S.S only though I consulted a couple of known garages also for their quotes. I got the door replaced (everyone was of the view that since it is the edge, it cant be dented / tinkered) and painted at Hyundai A. S. S and even after 5 years noone can say it was repainted.

Of course there are ways to maintain the quality and be cost effective also. When I had to get bumpers of my WagonR (which is now driven by my sis) and Scorpio painted, I looked for authorised centres with proper bake booth and good body shops who would quote less. Word of mouth works here. I got good job done at half the price quoted by the biggies. Mahindra quoted roughly Rs. 8K for both bumpers whereas I got it for 4K from Bright Motors which is again an Authorised Maruti Service Centre.

My office is in Nahar Pur Car market where such roadside painters and garages are dime a dozen. They would paint a pair of bumbers for 1K but I shall never let them touch my car ever.

Last edited by WanderNomad : 19th January 2010 at 21:24.
Old 19th January 2010, 22:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

^ yea! they just paint it and keep it in the open to dry!

result - lots of dust integrated with the paint when it dries!
Old 19th January 2010, 22:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks WanderNomad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Check out these pics of the rear door that had been through dent repair!

seems like they bent it!

First pic is of the normal right rear door taken from the back with the camera resting on the side of the hatch!

Second pic is of the defective rear door that was 'bent in the process of dent repair'( I guess)

again taken with the camera resting on the side of the hatch!

(so that you get the real picture of the protrusion from the same viewing point on both sides)
Sohail, if I can understand correctly you're focussing on the gap between the door and the back panel, correct? If this is the case, you have a good reason to question and get it repaired at their cost. But, in such cases these guys save cost be doing less coats and etc. as the case has been with my Santro. You're a victim of deficiency in service, and no way can Rishabh Hyundai guys escape their responsibility.

By the way, you didn't answer the question as to how you recorded the conversations?
Old 19th January 2010, 23:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a app on my N78 called 'Total Recall' It records all incoming and outgoing calls!
and stores it with a time and a date stamp + caller info

btw currently my exams are going on so I might not find the time to go there!

will call them up tomorrow anyways!
Old 19th January 2010, 23:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I have a app on my N78 called 'Total Recall' It records all incoming and outgoing calls!

Cool !

After your exams , do follow this up with them.

The gap is very apparent, dont see them being able to wash their hands off this one. Also you can send the photo to Hyundai. I am surprised they havent called you yet. In my case I got a call within 24 hours of the mail on a Sunday.
Old 20th January 2010, 00:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks and all the best. Another reason why I prefer Authorised Centers is Accountability, I know I can overpower all their stupid claims and they're answerable to the manufacturers too.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Today I went there and showed them the door frame defect and they were surprised as to how it had happened and they hadnt touched the door or anything...(bla bla)

Anyways, they corrected it by literally punching the area!(with an open hand)
I was like WTH!

but since they didn't cause any more damage it was ok!

Then for first service I wanted to go to HMP but they were giving me the service date on 26th Feb!!!

so had no other option but to give my i20 again to these guys!

I told them that I wanted to be present near my i20 at all times while its being serviced!
+ requested a Engine oil change along with oil filter(as per an article on TeamBHP regarding 'Running in of a new car')

I faced a lot of 'Why do you want to change?", "Its not recommended" etc.

They were totally discouraging the change! but I was adamant and made sure they wrote it down!

anyways, I was in the service bay with my i20 while they were draining the oil.
There were plethora of service manuals for all hyundai cars there! ( I so wanted to get my hands on em!)

I also got the 'Rheostat Illumination Control' module installed! but I literally had to educate them regarding the part and what it does! (if it weren't for the photos Wildon had posted in his i20 ownership thread I wouldn't have had been able to make them understand what I wanted! lol)

They also aligned the tyres.

Then I told them that I needed the doors to auto-lock when the car reached 40kph! to which the service guy's straight reply - 'not possible'

Then I told them thats its very well possible using the 'G-Scan' tool! (Thanks again to Wildon for the info)

They said that they'll do it after their break!(it was 1pm then, I had come there at 11am)

======================
Break (duration ~1hr)

(the only time I was away from my i20, in the customer lounge! (HUGE mistake))
======================

I went downstairs in their service bay at ~ 2:10-15pm

They had connected the 'G-scan' tool(a touch screen tablet PC kind of thing) to the i20's OBD port and were checking out the settings.
I gave them a 'see, I told u...' look and they were literally shocked that it had this feature!

Anyways, they enabled it and said that the car is going for washing!
I told them not to wash or anything! (because I dont trust anyone else with my car)

Then to my horror I noticed multiple scratches on my i20's rear bumper(right side, just behind the right quarter-panel)
  • First 5 attached pics are of the scratches that were caused by them!!

I showed the scratches to the service guy who said that they were old!!(They were not there when I had given it for service!!!)

I told them that "I know my car better than anyone else and I know they were not there before!"
(actually the same part had one tiny 0.5x0.5cm area of paint chip-off which the advisor guy had marked on the vehicle map on the service sheet) and they were showing it to me and saying that it was already there!

This pissed me off! and I said that they better correct it!
Then they summoned a bodyshop guy with paint who began to touch-up the area!

After touch-up it looked even worse!! I complained again!
and they said that you can get the bumper repainted but it'll take till tomorrow!
  • The 6th and 7th pic is of the crappy touch-up job!

This pissed me off big time and I went to the customer care guy there and told him about the problem.

he came to see the car and said that he can get it done via insurance etc.
(but it was Sunday I needed the car by evening!)

after much talking/persuasion and what not they agreed to repaint the affected part of the bumper!!(they weren't even admitting to have done it!! )

I declined all the body washings etc.(only got the under-body washed)
in fear of them making new scratches and what not!

anyways, they took it upto the bodyshop(this time I didn't let the car out of my sight for even 1 sec)

(because the scratch that they'd caused, supposedly occurred when I was in the customer lounge during their break!)

They sanded down the scratched area to the primer, filled up some red colored filler and then the part was painted and clear coated after masking the surrounding parts!(in the paint booth)

Then I waited for the paint to dry(~1Hr) while I was all alone in the body shop, I took a few videos/pics of the body shop area etc.!
  • 8th pic is after repainting and clear coating the affected part!

at ~ 5:45pm the guy came back and rubbed the area to shine and applied 3M liquid wax!

The paint-job was near perfect!! ( I pitied the paint shop/bodyshop guy as he was working with such losers!)
  • Last pic is of the final finish!

Finally, took my car back at ~ 6:15pm!!

Summary :-

Duration of the ordeal - 11:02am - 06:15pm(~7Hrs)
With me standing for most of the time supervising their work!

(Service was over at ~ 2:30)

Overall Rating
(NOTE - This rating is only applicable if you are specifically present there along with your car at all times!

These ratings may fall considerably if don't supervise your vehicle during its servicing)
  • Service guys knowledge regarding small parts = 0/100
  • Experts available = 0
  • SG's knowledge regarding how to properly use 'G-Scan' tool = 0/100
  • Carelessness = 100/100
  • General car checking during servicing = 90/100(for the guy alloted to my vehicle)
  • Wheel Alignment guy = 95/100
  • Customer care guy = 100/100(Connects with people and actually tries to understand their problem)
  • Paintshop/bodyshop guy(painter) = 95/100 (In the end, his paint finish was enough to make me smile)

But they wasted whole of my Sunday!

Two words of advise I would like everyone who dearly care for their cars to fully follow! :-

1. When you enter the dealership/service centre, after showing the car to the service advisor take pictures/photos of every panel/part individually!!

like for the rear bumper - from the rear(taking the bumper as a whole), side extensions of bumper etc. in front of the SA.

Try to take date/time proof in the pic(such as the job card etc.)

Reason - If the service centre guys scratch your car(which is guranteed to happen if you give you car to Rishabh Hyundai),
you'll have definite proof that the scratch wasn't there before!

2. Be present with your car at all times!!!

Choose a date when you are totally free and only then go for servicing!

I have seen preference being given to the car whose owners are standing in the service bay to supervise the work) (here there was only one, me!)

I have educated myself through Team-BHP and helped them to solve some of my i20's probs etc.

and please supervise the washing!! These guys use some old yellow rags to clean the cars!! (They only take out the MF towels when a car comes with a 'cleaning complaint' or the owner is apprehensive regarding their idea of 'washing'.

They also told me that I should get Teflon on my i20!
To which I replied that I 'teflon' it every week at home! lol

Now all I'd like to say is, it was a totally horrible experience which, after a lot of talk and persuasion was corrected in the end!

God I'm not taking my beloved i20 to them ever again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-scratch-they-put-2.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-scratch-they-put-4.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-scratch-they-put.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-scratch-they-put-3.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-scratch-they-put-5.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-total-crappy-touchup2.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-total-crappy-touchupresized.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-final-finishjust-painted.jpg  

Bad experience with Rishabh Hyundai, New Delhi-final-finish.jpg  

sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2010, 01:42   #14
BHPian

Bad experience after bad experience then, is the customer care guy Mr.Solanki ? He is the one who handled my case also. Nice person who tries to resolve matters.

I guess this is the case with most authorized service centers these days,they have too many cars that they don't really care about the odd one being damaged. Once you get to the senior management, they do good work though.

For these A.S.S.es, one line suits 'Naam bade aur darshan chote'
Old 1st February 2010, 06:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is quite absurd how the service station has botched your car's repairs.

Can you clarify how they fixed the rear door's alignment? If by just pounding the door by the hand worked, it can be either of two things:

a. Hyundai's build quality is very poor.
b. The door's anchor points/mounts were loose or not aligned properly.

Most Viewed