Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2014, 04:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Galaxy Toyota Moti Nagar - Bad Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
If synthetic oil is good then why doesn't the manufacturer not use it? I feel, I was misled to shift to synthetic oil. What is it that these people get out of making people change to synthetic oil? Is the margin higher? Or do they get commission?

What should I do? Go back to mineral oil? Please advise.
Synthetic oil is expensive as it is made in a laboratory - cost of R&D is factored in, plus mass manufacturing. Mineral oil is natural & cheaper.
Synthetic oil is useful in high performance engines as the lubrication lasts longer and withstands temperature and age better. Mineral oil begins to shear (break apart) quicker.
Its cost effective for a manufacturer of fuel-efficient & low power engines like Toyota to stick to mineral oil as end costs to customer are lower, even though service intervals are shorter due to mineral oil usage.

If your car manual recommends mineral oil, and you plan to stick to manufacturer recommended service intervals then yes, you can absolutely continue using mineral oil as you will probably observe little or no benefits of using synthetic oil.

There's no harm in reverting back to mineral from synthetic if you wish to.

Read more here -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...neral-oil.html (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Synthetic oil is expensive as it is made in a laboratory - cost of R&D is factored in, plus mass manufacturing. Mineral oil is natural & cheaper.
Synthetic oil is useful in high performance engines as the lubrication lasts longer and withstands temperature and age better.

If your car manual recommends mineral oil, and you plan to stick to manufacturer recommended service intervals then yes, you can absolutely continue using mineral oil as you will probably observe little or no benefits of using synthetic oil.

There's no harm in reverting back to mineral from synthetic if you wish to.

Read more here -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...neral-oil.html (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)
Thanks much!

This is helpful and gives a perspective.

I have the habit of driving long hours practically without breaks. 8-10 hours or may be more at a strech.

Would it be reasonable to say though there is no immediate upside. But there is no downside either with synthetic. Other than it being expensive.

If there are no concerns with synthetic - I would like to continue with synthetic oil.
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:12   #18
BHPian

Galaxy Toyota Moti Nagar - Bad Experience

Quote:

If there are no concerns with synthetic - I would like to continue with synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil has no downside apart from the cost. You can continue with synthetic oil if you want to.It will go a long way in keeping your engine healthy.

Last edited by dean5545 : 23rd March 2014 at 20:13.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely no issue other than higher cost. There is a gigantic thread with detailed discussion on this. Check it out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 23:34   #20
BHPian

What is the service interval for your vehicle. If you do a oil change at 5K then mineral oil is ok. however if its 10K or 15K i would myself recommend the synthetic one.

Also, lately increasingly all BSIV vehicle are coming with synthetic oil (i might be wrong but i know tata for sure (and i think Maruti)) have moved to synthetic in their BSIV versions some time in late 2012.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:18   #21
BHPian

Galaxy Toyota Moti Nagar Body shop is nightmare. The same premises is used for Hyundai body shop as well. I gave my Liva for little rear bumper work. Took 15 days with zero dep insurance policy from Toyota itself. They have so much crowding with innovas and fortuners that sometimes it takes two days just to get your vehichle out of their gate!

When you complain, they advice to go to their Okhla workshop.

And i don't think Toyota Kirloskar are not aware of customer plight at this dealer's body shop but since this dealer is their number one sales wise, obviously even legendary Japanese customer service image is sacrificed at the altar of sales figures.

Most Viewed