Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 17:04   #1
BHPian

Car purchase & Registration Questions.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new car shortly. Right now i am based in chennai but i have to buy the car from a dealership in kerala. This is because there are some poojas which have to be done before i start driving the car and it can be done only in my hometown. So basically i will get the car registered in kerala(the number will start with KL-) but use it in the near future in chennai. I should be in chennai atleast for the next 6 months.

Will I face any issue in getting the car serviced from the FORD dealers in chennai because i bought it in kerala?

Are there any issues(legal or other) that i should be concerned about since i am going to be using a KL registered car in chennai.

PS for Moderator: Hi Moderator, I know that this will be looked at before
being posted since I am a newbie. Please move the thread to a more appropriate if it's there.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

You will not have a problem with servicing the car is Chennai, or anywhere in India where Ford has an authorized service center. Once you are here, walk in to the Ford dealerships and chat up their service manager before you decide which one suits you the best.

Get a NOC from your RTO and keep it handy. You shouldn't be having any trouble driving your car in Chennai - just don't stop right in the front when the signals turn red
Old 20th April 2010, 21:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Get a NOC from your RTO and keep it handy. You shouldn't be having any trouble driving your car in Chennai - just don't stop right in the front when the signals turn red
. Don't go for NOC. It requires you to re-register in Chennai and it will be BOMB for you to pay tax in Chennai (KL to TN). Also, if you get NOC for a new car within 1 yr, I guess tax is equal to new one only and you will not get any refund from your KL RTO (except if you are government employee).
Old 21st April 2010, 03:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

@pradipk, getting a NOC does not mean you must to re-register, AFAIK. And running a car for 6 months in a different state should not be a problem anyways.
Old 21st April 2010, 08:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Vishnu - I've one question to you, where will the car be used extensively? Is it in TN or KL? If it will be used more in KL, then get it KL registered otherwise, buy the car from here, drive to KL & get the pooja done. I respect your rituals but from a practical point of view, if you buy a car in KL & use it in Chennai, it can make your life little difficult. Sometime back, this topic was discussed similar to this like a person buying in AP & using it in KA, unfortunately I'm unable to find that thread for you now.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:11   #6
BHPian

Hey ph03n!x, getting NOC from KL means the vehicle is moved out of KL and needs to be registered some other RTO. Also, in the NOC the place where car is going to be moved needs to be mentioned. Means either necessarily register there or go for the process of cancelation of NOC again, which is also not the easy process.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

NOC is to be availed ONLY if you plan to get the car registered in Chennai. NOC is issued by your KL RTO to a specified Chennai RTO.

1) If you're going to be using the car in chennai for only 6 months to 1 year and plan to return to KL, register the vehicle in KL.

2) If you're going to use the car in Chennai or TN for a long period, but visit KL occasionally, i'd say get it registered in TN.

If 2 is your kind of usage, but if you have to get the poojas done here, you have an option of taking temporary registration here in KL do the poojas and drive it to Chennai and get it registered there.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:55   #8
BHPian

Re: Car purchase & Registration Questions.

Okay. This topic is not exactly about interstate registrations but a semi-general query about Registrations especially in Karnataka.

I bought my Figo from Metro Ford and took delivery on March 30th 2011. Today is now 5th May 2011. I still have not got my Original SmartCard registration thing. Should I worry? My registration number is KA 03 MN XXXX. Does it normally take this long? I have got the car financed, so that is probably why the delay is (atleast thats what one friend of mine told me) Calling dealer does not really help; all they say is "some RTOs take time" But how much time is decent?

How long can I legally drive with my 'temporary' papers?
Old 30th May 2012, 16:08   #9
BHPian

I have a question regarding intended purchase of a Verna Fluidic.
We have a house in Mumbai and business as well as residence in Gujarat.
The Verna is available easily in Mumbai but there is a long waiting period in my city in Gujarat. So can I purchase from Mumbai with finance and register in Gujarat. Is this possible and how? Intend to use more in Gujarat with weekly Mumbai trips.
Old 30th May 2012, 19:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
I have a question regarding intended purchase of a Verna Fluidic.
We have a house in Mumbai and business as well as residence in Gujarat.
The Verna is available easily in Mumbai but there is a long waiting period in my city in Gujarat. So can I purchase from Mumbai with finance and register in Gujarat. Is this possible and how? Intend to use more in Gujarat with weekly Mumbai trips.
Well, the finance companies would like to register it in thier name (Hypothecation), so they will not encourage registering in Gujarat. If the loan is applied in Maharastra, vehicle must be registered in Maharashtra.

If you are making weekly Mumbai - Gujrat trips, my suggestion is to buy in Mumbai itself. If Police catch you in Gujrat, you can always show the toll and fuel recipts and claim to be a temporary visitor. The only negative is you would be paying Octroi tax in mumbai.
Old 29th November 2013, 20:48   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Excuse me picking up this thread, but the title seems perfect for the purpose.

A family-member couple are relocating to Chennai from Singapore, having been away from India for a few years. One of them is here now, setting up basics like a place to live. He wants to buy two cars for the pair of them. He has heard, though, that it is not possible for one person to register more than one car in their name within a period of eight months.

I never heard this --- but then, I never needed to do it. Is this really the case?

(Yes there are two of them, but getting all the necessary documentation each is a problem at this time.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks