2% 4 44.44%
2.5% 1 11.11%
Others 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cost of Service - Realistic approach!!

Some times, when we leave our car for service, we get back our car in a dirty state. Reason for this is - May be the car was not washed properly after service OR the car would have got dirty, because of service guys handling the car (glass parts, seats, dashboard .. etc) with their hands full of greece...Etc. We tend to feel that the bunch of guys who serviced our cars, are unprofessional, and so - either make an issue out of it OR go back dissatisfied about service.

At times, when we leave our car for service, when the Job-Card is being written, we tend to analyse the service personnel's technical competency. If he sounds logical in his approach, we are happy. If not - cause of worry.

Everybody would like to have good quality services at affordable prices. Now a days, we as customers expect a lot from all quarters. So - When we buy a new car, we check out if the dealer has - a decent service facility, well organised service bay, good tools and equipments, area to accommodate large number of vehicles, service center in good location with good parking facility, professional attitude, knowledgeable qualified service team ... Etc.

When all these things fall in place, we come to the service cost. How much is the dealer charging for Labour? The lower - the better!!!!! . General mentality is (that includes me) - When I am getting paid " It has to be the Maximum!" & When I am paying " It has to be the Minimum!"

Now, coming to think about it seriously: A good dealer with all the facilities, will have good sales - and so good profits. He will have a reasonably good earning through spare parts (Major income?!!). And then finally - he has to price his services. In most cases, these prices will be fixed by the manufacturer.

We definitely can not get every thing for nothing. Can we?

Question is: For a good quality - professional service, how much Labour charges are we willing to pay? When the above criterias are met, IMO the cost should not vary between companies, whether it is a Maruthi or a TATA or a Fiat or a Hyundai or a GM or a Ford or a Honda or a VW or even a Skoda ...Etc. If these conditions are not met, it can vary.

Now coming to the spare parts: Different companies have priced there spare parts differently. Quality also may vary. Let us ignore the below two things.
  1. Accidental damage - since it can not be a part of common service requirement.
  2. Quality issues which is car / manufacturer dependent - Since it cannot be a part of common service requirement.
Other than this, with the new generation cars, there is hardly any breakdown in between service intervals. Therefore - we are left with only periodical services.

Let us look at the case of a regular service:
  1. Oil price will depend on what oil (synthetic / organic) is used. This is common to all companies.
  2. Price of common parts like Oil filter, Fuel filter, Air filter ... Etc will vary from company to company. Quality also can vary.
  3. Now - Ideally - what should be the Labour charges?
Let us assume that our average monthly usage is 1500KPM. At this rate, per year we run about 18,000 Kms. Keeping this in consideration, for the first 5 years, can we safely take - say 2% of the Ex-showroom price of the car - as a reasonable cost for maintenance (Labour + Spare parts including brake pads, tyre replacement, battery replacement) per year?

Can we have this as a thumb rule to measure ownership cost?

Expenses incurred due to accidents and quality issues are best left to the buyer / user. That will be in addition to this cost. This subject may have been covered in bits and pieces in various threads. I am trying to consolidate it.

Your participation in this discussion is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:40   #2
BHPian

Is service cost for all cars the same at the end of the year

When I was checking out for the service cost for few cars in the hatchback segment the cost of ownership looked the same at the end of the year.

For Example: Maruti, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Tata has 3 service intervals like 2K, 5K and 10K KMS in a year and average cost spent for service is around Rs 2500 to Rs 3000 for each service.

Hence at the end of the year the service cost would be around Rs 7500 to Rs 9000.

But for Skoda, VW and Fiat has only 1 service at 15K KMS. And it would cost around Rs6000 to Rs8000.

So at the end of the year when you see all costs look the same.

Is it a perception that Maruti, Tata's, etc have lower service cost and Skoda, VW, etc have a higher cost of ownership.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has 3 (free) services during the 1st year only at one month/1000 km, six months/5000 km and 12 months/10000 km. After that its once every 10000 km or one year whichever is earlier. For a Swift the yearly service that comes after free services should be Rs.4000 to Rs.5000 at the max. You could land up with much lesser bills too.

Even if you check out the prices of spares, MGA spares will cost lesser than a similar spare part from Skoda or Honda. Most spares are reasonably priced. Its only the imported parts (SGP) that are on the higher side.

Last edited by longhorn : 4th May 2010 at 17:07.
Old 4th May 2010, 19:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
When I was checking out for the service cost for few cars in the hatchback segment the cost of ownership looked the same at the end of the year.

For Example: Maruti, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Tata has 3 service intervals like 2K, 5K and 10K KMS in a year and average cost spent for service is around Rs 2500 to Rs 3000 for each service.

Hence at the end of the year the service cost would be around Rs 7500 to Rs 9000.

But for Skoda, VW and Fiat has only 1 service at 15K KMS. And it would cost around Rs6000 to Rs8000.

So at the end of the year when you see all costs look the same.

Is it a perception that Maruti, Tata's, etc have lower service cost and Skoda, VW, etc have a higher cost of ownership.
But Maruthi or a TATA owner need not necessarily go to the dealer for service. This will reduce the cost. May be, this is one of the reason, owners think that it is cheap to maintain.

What do you think? How much are you willing to spend for maintenance of your vehicle, in terms of percentage? Can you please participate in the poll? Percentage works because - it will take care of all segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Maruti has 3 (free) services during the 1st year only at one month/1000 km, six months/5000 km and 12 months/10000 km. After that its once every 10000 km or one year whichever is earlier. For a Swift the yearly service that comes after free services should be Rs.4000 to Rs.5000 at the max. You could land up with much lesser bills too.

Even if you check out the prices of spares, MGA spares will cost lesser than a similar spare part from Skoda or Honda. Most spares are reasonably priced. Its only the imported parts (SGP) that are on the higher side.
That is great! Even if we take tyres, battery, break shoes..Etc in to account, which will come up after 3-4 years, on an average the expense will be around 1.5%. Do you agree? Any idea about Boleno or SX4?
Old 4th May 2010, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

I didnt go to a tata dealer for service always, and still ended up paying around 15K+ last year for maintenence. and this is for a 2 year indica run just 30K kms.

Do note that I'm obsessed with preventive maintainence. If I'd stuck to the average indica owner/mech's "dont fix it till its broken" approach, and run it to the ground, and then it probably would have been cheaper
Old 4th May 2010, 20:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

@greenhorn, at 2years, your car should be in warranty. If so, wasn't it a better (cheaper) option for you to get the Indica repaired at TASS and get the repairs/replacements done for free ? From what I know, though Tata vehicles have niggles, getting those fixed/replaced under warranty is not a big issue.
Old 4th May 2010, 20:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I didnt go to a tata dealer for service always, and still ended up paying around 15K+ last year for maintenence. and this is for a 2 year indica run just 30K kms.

Do note that I'm obsessed with preventive maintainence. If I'd stuck to the average indica owner/mech's "dont fix it till its broken" approach, and run it to the ground, and then it probably would have been cheaper
Very interesting! But still it comes to around 2% per year. What was the reason to avoid the Dealer?
Old 4th May 2010, 22:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@greenhorn, at 2years, your car should be in warranty. If so, wasn't it a better (cheaper) option for you to get the Indica repaired at TASS and get the repairs/replacements done for free ? From what I know, though Tata vehicles have niggles, getting those fixed/replaced under warranty is not a big issue.
What has been your experience on cost of maintenance of your Baleno?
Can you share?
Old 5th May 2010, 15:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:

I think u need to try out authorised service once. 15K in a year would be almost double the service charges of Skoda Fabia also.

I have experienced this in my old bikes, the unauthorised service charges are cheaper in the begining but I atleast found problems keep up popping up and big amounts going later.

So currently I keep just sticking to authorised centers and it has kept me happy.
Old 5th May 2010, 20:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I think u need to try out authorised service once. 15K in a year would be almost double the service charges of Skoda Fabia also.

I have experienced this in my old bikes, the unauthorised service charges are cheaper in the begining but I atleast found problems keep up popping up and big amounts going later.

So currently I keep just sticking to authorised centers and it has kept me happy.
I had a very bad experience with my Matiz. A third party service provider exchanged some of the engine parts and after that it started giving a lot of problems. Finally, I had to sell my car.

I had to depend on TPM since Daewoo had closed down there operation. But Greenhorn has a choice.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan
What has been your experience on cost of maintenance of your Baleno? Can you share?
So far, so good. Except for a drive-shaft failure at 5years and 40000kms which left me stranded.

No issues in sharing - have to update my Baleno LTR thread too.

The maint. expenses for my Baleno since it was bought in Mar-2005 :

1st Free Service @ 1020kms - Rs.604 (oil and oil-filter changed)
2nd Free Service @ 4218kms - Rs.0 (no oil or filter change at 5k service)
3rd free Service @ 9705kms - Rs.634 (oil and oil-filter changed)

4th Paid Service @ 20224kms - Rs.2919 (Parts-1739, Labour - 1080 + tax)
5th Paid Service @ 30767kms - Rs.2385 (Parts-820, Labour-1325 + tax)
6th Paid Service @ 38357kms - Rs.4337 (Parts-2607, Labour-1730)

Total cost of routine services : Rs.10879

Other maintenance expenses :
1 tyre puncture : Rs.30 // in all of 5 years - I love Bridgestone
Battery charging: Rs.119 // twice drained due to boot-light being on.
Breakdown repair: Rs.10155 // RHS drive-shaft, inter. shaft, bearing etc

Grand total : Rs.21183.

That comes to like Rs.4236 per year, which is less than 1% of ex-showroom cost of the car. And like Rs 0.53 per km.

P.S. : Except for the 6th service, all others were at MASS. The service cost at non-MASS (Electra Automotive, Chennai) is close to double what MASS charges, but I believe they do a better job.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

SupremeBaleno @ That is excellent! Much less than what I had spent on my Matiz. You have a good memory. I do not remember much. I owned a Matiz between 1998 and 2008. That is for 10 years. I have driven about 1.5L Kms and would have spent at an average of 5K per year. This comes to 1.5%
Old 6th May 2010, 03:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
the warranty ends at 1.5 years, and my dealer isn't too interested in handling extended warranty claims, plus I found an independent mech who appears to be competent ( and dealing with him is a pleasure, as opposed to the TASC which is a harrowing one). Plus all my expenses have been wear & tear items which are not covered under warranty anyway. All details here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-18-a-19.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th May 2010 at 03:56.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G
You have a good memory. I do not remember much.
Nah, nothing to do with memory - not possible to remember all these details. I keep a log-book in the car in which the following info is noted down :
1) Fuel bought
2) Maintenance done with cost details
3) Route info of places visited
4) Accessories bought for the car etc.
I quoted the maintenance info from there.

BTW, I missed 1 expense - I had replaced the battery after 3 years - cost Rs3500.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the warranty ends at 1.5 years, and my dealer isn't too interested in handling extended warranty claims, plus I found an independent mech who appears to be competent ( and dealing with him is a pleasure, as opposed to the TASC which is a harrowing one). Plus all my expenses have been wear & tear items which are not covered under warranty anyway. All details here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-18-a-19.html
I went through the thread. You have a very bad experience with Indica. Luckily all my life I have not encountered problems with gear box. cars I have driven are Jeep, ambassador, premier padmini, zen, Matiz and spark. In total I have done about 2Lakhs Kms. May be yours is a bad lemon in the lot. But quality of Indica have been quite fluctuating. every other owner has a different experience. May be when you are changing next time, you can go in with a more reliable one. New Indica also seems to have improved a lot. As you rightly said VFM does not mean everything.

supreme Baleno @ Sir, you are very methodical. I am impressed. Adding Battery to your expenses, does not make much difference!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 7th May 2010 at 10:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks