Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:52   #61
BHPian

I haven't booked the Polo but wanted to share the experience at VW Downtown in Bombay. I walked in on a Saturday. The place was buzzing with people, their families, and kids. People had taken it upon themselves that while waiting they should advice each other about other options. So there was this very loud conversation between 2 individuals (and their families) about why one should buy the i20. One of the guys owned one that was parked outside and was nice enough to explain all details of the i20! Test drive forms, booking forms, tech spec sheets all flowing from here to there, the staff barely managing to keep up with the everyone’s demands and questions. But they did a splendid job nevertheless.

I looked around the car for a bit and then waited my turn at the counter while of course others barged in front of me squeezing their way through. However noticing that, the executive serviced me first. Gave me all the collateral and offered me the test drive. I waited 20 mins for the same and took a quick spin around the block and back (showroom, passport office and back) A quick check on performance, brakes, handling, body roll. Not bad I said for a 3 pot. The Petrol maybe diesel sounding but drive her spiritedly and you get some amount of boring performance.

I filled in the test drive feedback form, thanked them and left with the booking forms. They even called me back yesterday to ask if I had made a decision. I said I had and that I have decided to wait to drive the 1.6 and then book a car. So far so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As others have posted, you did the right thing by voting with your feet. There isn't a dearth of options in the market. We are spoilt for choice; non-performers better pull their socks up.
While true, my only thought everday is to get behind the wheel of the 1.6. I just hope they launch it very soon.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:11   #62
BHPian

Bunty:

Please do a favor and write to:

Mr. Neeraj Garg, Member of Board and Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Group Sales India Pvt. Ltd (basically Head of Sales and Dealers)

and

Ms Ananya Handa (I think she heads PR)

about your experience and how it led you to book i20.

If they are even half as serious as the impression they give in the Press they will rush to act or at least prevent this happening to others.

Also make a mention of this thread, so they know that they are under watch by scores of opinion makers.

All the best.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2012 at 10:09. Reason: Please do NOT post the personal contact details of anyone on Team-BHP
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:23   #63
BHPian

@diffsoft, thats great piece of info you have, thanx mate for sharing it, I hope it helps as my SP is pushing me to buy a silver HL against my preferred color white.

@Bunty, if possible try to send the email through your corporate ID, maybe it adds more pressure, just my thought.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:32   #64
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
IWould be interested to know the current waiting time of a Swift.
4 Months in Bangalore. A friend of mine just decided not to buy it after seeing this waiting period.

However it is absolutely rude not to service your customer. I think VW India would do better and give proper response to all thier prospective customers. Else they may go the Skoda way before they actually realise.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
There was an ownership report of a Golf owner from Germany and he had to wait for 3 months to get the delivery. Hope everyone will agree that Germany is a matured market.
VW not replying to mails is unpardonable. This should be the focus of discussion I feel.
For sure he had to wait 3 months but in mature markets your car can be 'made to order' which for sure takes appropriate time. He ordered a high-end customized version of Golf so can't say if that example is valid here. Moreover the key point is he got his car on the promised date.

What most agree on is that some popular models might have delays associated with them specially durin the initial period. The key is how does the company take care of those delays and the attitude of staff in dealing with customers. So while the car is good, the same can't be said about the people entrusted with selling it.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
For sure he had to wait 3 months but in mature markets your car can be 'made to order' which for sure takes appropriate time. He ordered a high-end customized version of Golf so can't say if that example is valid here. Moreover the key point is he got his car on the promised date.

What most agree on is that some popular models might have delays associated with them specially durin the initial period. The key is how does the company take care of those delays and the attitude of staff in dealing with customers. So while the car is good, the same can't be said about the people entrusted with selling it.
Though not exactly super-smooth, but Ford's handling of the Figo bookings has been far better. They got mind boggling bookings but they've kept the waiting period within limits. That includes starting an extra shift at the plant. I think in this case it is VW's fault and not the dealer's.
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

I can completely understand the OP's frustration. I would have gone through the same, whilst in the process of buying my Swift last month.

Key Difference between VW here and Maruti :

I received a call from the dealer, within 15, yes, 15 minutes after I sent a complaint letter to Maruti regarding delivery delays.
Every single communication with Maruti was impressively prompt in its response from them, and they actively sought to involve the dealer in the whole process too.
Also, even after I had just booked the vehicle, I got a call from MSIL welcoming me to the Maruti family and genuine accessories blah blah.. , which sort of assured me that the dealer had indeed let Maruti know I intend to buy a vehicle from them.

PS : Since someone has asked, the waiting period for the Petrol Swift ranges from 1 week to 1.5 Months depending upon variant and colour choice. Even if the dealer dilly-dallies on the committed delivery time, a simple call/mail to Maruti works wonders.
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:41   #68
BHPian

OMG! Seems like lots were just waiting round the corner for something like this thread to open up.

Bunty, did Micra cross your mind before you decided on the Asta?

If 50K booking amt for a hatch was not high enough, now comes this extra-long waiting period.

I agree calculations may go wrong for any company. After all any mfgr is dependent on a lot of OEMs/3rd parties etc, and any weak link in the chain may prove disastrous. However, at the least, as a cstr, the mfgr is expected to be transparent and explain the situation.

In this case, I would have expected, that as a so-called premium brand, VW should have called up/emailed and offered some decent explanation for the hotch-potch. On top of that, they should have volunteered to refund the booking amount without any cancellation charges...I am sure Bunty or anyone would have given a second thought then. But keeping mum over repeated followups is just not the done thing, and should not be taken lying down. Be it any company, particularly those who tend to brag about themselves (man..am I pissed with their "take our word for it" bragging??)

BTW, have been missing those "take our word for it" stuff for quite some time...have those ads been pulled off?

Last edited by sanjayc : 23rd June 2010 at 20:46.
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:57   #69
BHPian

@diffsoft : excellent information

@bunty : please keep this thread updated if you get any response from the mentioned email ids. Though it is height of customer satisfaction that a potential customer of a Car manufacturer of international repute have to write an email to the Board Member, but still it would clear any confusion and show the way to other members.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2012 at 10:10. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 24th June 2010, 13:38   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I can completely understand the OP's frustration. I would have gone through the same, whilst in the process of buying my Swift last month.

I received a call from the dealer, within 15, yes, 15 minutes after I sent a complaint letter to Maruti regarding delivery delays.
Every single communication with Maruti was impressively prompt in its response from them, and they actively sought to involve the dealer in the whole process too.
Also, even after I had just booked the vehicle, I got a call from MSIL welcoming me to the Maruti family and genuine accessories blah blah.. , which sort of assured me that the dealer had indeed let Maruti know I intend to buy a vehicle from them.

PS : Since someone has asked, the waiting period for the Petrol Swift ranges from 1 week to 1.5 Months depending upon variant and colour choice. Even if the dealer dilly-dallies on the committed delivery time, a simple call/mail to Maruti works wonders.
Thread from the same forum.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...eats-ever.html
Old 24th June 2010, 21:45   #71
BHPian

Thanks diffsoft your information was actually very useful.

I would like to add that its not the VW but the dealers which are making the mockery of us. I will share my experience once all the issues are resolved at my end. I too had booked the POLO in march :mad.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Not that I am a supporter of VW but I am sort of getting sick of statements like this.
Let me repeat again, its always Maruti (and Hyundai to an extent) on one side vs the others. Its only the others that compete against each other.
You can by no way expect someone to get sort of structure and service that Maruti provides.

You must note the Toyota dint become market leaders in US overnight, it was no match to the Ford and GM's might when it entered the market 25 yrs before.
Things like this dont happen overnight.
I know of stories when people who bought Toyota in 80s were considered to be idiots to rely on company which was no match to the big three. In fact the cars of Japan were radiculed lot at that time.

Its a slow process, remember car manufacturing and servicing is not like Mobile companies/ banking to start from day one.

Its a long and painful process. You might have a niggle here and there. But it takes a long time.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:21   #73
Senior - BHPian

Go on Bunty and threaten the dealer that you will cancel the booking and take the refund. See what happens. If still nothing positive then bunk it and move on man. German aren't everything.

EDIT: Sorry bunty just read your other post. You have already taken a decision.
Cheers!!

Last edited by Pancham : 24th June 2010 at 22:32.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Its a long and painful process. You might have a niggle here and there. But it takes a long time.
Looks like 72 years is not enough?

On first look it looks like sheer complacency due to their success elsewhere. Every marketer shoud know that the sales game is played on Local superiority. In India VW hasn't got it. Secondly, any organization worth its salt would not try to re-invent the wheel every other day.

Or a deeper thought, it could just be a recruiting problem. Typically, an organization entering a new market try playing safe by recruiting seemingly highly experienced people (and dealers), ignoring talent. One simpe example is how Sundaram Motors is still able to get automobile dealerships.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:01   #75
BHPian

Its pretty sad indeed and pretty disturbing VW has goofed up big time and should come clean now by apologizing to you in written to build some goodwill. People say A.S.S. of FIAT is bad/pathetic but so many people have reported how FIAT always takes immediate action once you put a complaint in CEO's corner, VW has to learn.

I am hoping that they keep commitment to me

Most Viewed