Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 19:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sundaram Motors, Bangalore

I recently got my Opel Corsa serviced at Sundaram Motors, Kasturba Rd, Bangalore.

At this place, slots have to be booked for servicing around 2-3 days in advance to give cars for servicing.

This service was done at 29k so I knew there were many jobs lined up.
The customer service guys are pretty lost in their own world, so unless you talk to them sternly, a Service adviser takes ages to meet you.

One Mr. Prakash was in charge of my car and went about usual check ups like odometer reading, dents etc etc.

Luckily for me, I had taken the servicing report of my last servicing (22k) so I had a fair picture of what was necessary and what was not. And the fact that I had it and knew quite a bit about what replacements/repairs are necessary at what stage, the adviser explained everything that he felt that needed to be done.

Comparing the last service report and "jobs as per km reading", we finally decided on what all was necessary. He said for a German car, I would need to change the Tension belt and some related things at 30k km which would come to 14k; but after discussing, he said I could push it to 40k km.

Overall, I felt there were not many things he insisted that I change or repair. As usual, there was a 3M guy constantly around to ask if I wanted to get detailing and other things done (which I din't).

I'd given the car around 10am so he promised to give it the next day at the same time. However, the next day, he said it wouldn't be ready until evening. Ultimately, I collected the car 2 days after I'd given it for servicing and a minor touchup job (which was to be done free of cost) was done in front of me.

While collecting the car, the adviser explained what had been done, justified it and mentioned what would need to be done the next time.

While a common complaint by most people, luckily there were no grease spots either on the upholstrey or on the car body. So, they mechanics had been careful. The car interior was cleaned quite well too.

After servicing, the car felt good. So, overall it was a decent experience.
Old 7th October 2010, 20:47   #2
BANNED

I have visited Sundaram Motors twice or thrice for my friend's Corsa and I too was pretty impressed. They are not pushy, maintain a clean workfloor and though a bit crowded, do a good job is what I feel.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:05   #3
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear a positive experience for an Opel car. Great build quality it has. How's the situation with spares? A few colleagues who own the Corsa often crib about the spares.

Isn't Sundaram a dealership? If yes, this should be in the Indian Car Dealership section.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Good to hear a positive experience for an Opel car. Great build quality it has. How's the situation with spares? A few colleagues who own the Corsa often crib about the spares.

Isn't Sundaram a dealership? If yes, this should be in the Indian Car Dealership section.
Well, about spares, so far so good. I haven't come across any problem or haven't been told of any!

My car is from Gurgaon and I just got it serviced in Sundaram; hence I kept it in this section (Garage, shop & service).

Plus, Opel is not a brand anymore; Sundaram is a dealer for Chevrolet and Mercedes-Benz.
Old 14th October 2010, 08:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

My Optra has been sold and serviced by Sundaram Motors Kasturba Road, in the 4.5 years of Optra ownership, I've never had reason to complain about service at Sundaram, of course nowadays the long queue of cars waiting to be attended to may deter one, but I am extremely satisfied with the service levels at Sundaram Motors.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread has moved to right section.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sundaram Motors, Bangalore

I called Sundaram for routine 40k servicing of my Corsa; and they don't have a slot till 22nd Sept! That is a LONG time to go.

Read on another thread that Sundaram is cancelling their GM dealership in December. Wonder what's brewing.

PS : Their website lists dealership for Volkswagen, Honda, GM, Merc and Ashok Leyland; quite a big portfolio!
Old 12th September 2011, 09:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
PS : Their website lists dealership for Volkswagen, Honda, GM, Merc and Ashok Leyland; quite a big portfolio!
In Karnataka Sundaram is dealing with GM, Merc and Ashok Leyland. And in Tamilnadu and Andra they are dealing with Honda also.
Surprise to see Volkswagen. Where they are dealing with Volkswagen?

Last edited by kavu75 : 12th September 2011 at 09:41.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read on another thread that Sundaram is cancelling their GM dealership in December. Wonder what's brewing.
Unfortunately, yes. Just got it confirmed.

Planing to meet them by today evening. Will post here if I got any useful updates.

Quote:
When I googled Sundaram, Volkswagen, the 1st result was : Volkswagen
IMHO, they killed the Fiat and infact almost the Honda too in Chennai. Hope they don't repeat it with VW.

Quote:
Hunt begins for a good A.S.S. for Chevy/Opel then!
Yes. Will know by today evening, hopefully.

Last edited by mjothi : 12th September 2011 at 09:59.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
In Karnataka Sundaram is dealing with GM, Merc and Ashok Leyland. And in Tamilnadu and Andra they are dealing with Honda also.
Surprise to see Volkswagen. Where they are dealing with Volkswagen?
Link to their website : SUNDARAM MOTORS

It lists Volkswagen.

When I googled Sundaram, Volkswagen, the 1st result was : Volkswagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Unfortunately, yes. Just got it confirmed.
Hunt begins for a good A.S.S. for Chevy/Opel then!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th September 2011 at 09:54.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:00   #11
BHPian

I too own an Opel Corsa for last 8 years. Have been in Bangalore. Earlier used to visit the Garuda service centers (near MG Road and on Kanakpura road). Later moved to Sundaram once Garuda closed down. Lost some service records, the ones for which I didn't have printouts

I have been happy with the service at both places, and have always gone only to these authorized service centres. Till date atleast, haven't had any issues with spares. Over the ownership, have had minor problems like the a/c micro-switch and once had noise in the rear wheels which was fixed. Apart from that, just had to get tyres changed recently as it was 40K kms. Overall the car is in good shape *touchwood*, and still a pleasure to drive.

@libranof1987: I also felt that is the main issue with Sundaram - the waiting period. Need to book for a service in advance, and takes a week sometimes. The other problem is I want to give it on Sat morning, but that means need to collect it on a weekday as they don't return it same day. So i manage by coming back early from office and pick it up. Last year i requested for pickup/drop, that worked out well. Even convinced them to get a card machine during the drop, as I don't like paying by cash

Am worried now after this news on Sundaram, since I would like to keep the Corsa for few more years. I hope GM comes up with a solution and gets more dealerships. Since with Spark/Beat they are now selling good volumes, they need to have more dealerships, reduce the service wait times etc. Sincerely hope the good experience occurs and we don't land up in a Fiat kind of scenario
Old 12th September 2011, 18:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes, seems the news is confirmed. I also heard from my friend that there is going to be a new dealership across the town, probably Khivraj. Let's wait and watch.

First it was Garuda,and Vijay Motots came. Then Vijay also vanished and Kropex came along with the Trident. Not Sundaram is also gone, and next entry on the way. Hmm, I guess GM is the only manufacture who have been changing their dealership like anything. Or is it otherwise

Quote:
^^ Sundaram Motors had just opened a Chevy Service Station in Whitefield less than a year ago; is that going to be closed down so soon?
No. They have the Merc body shop here. So, it will continue.

In my opinion, Sundaram will get a different dealership. Probably VW as in Chennai. But its just my guess.

Last edited by mjothi : 12th September 2011 at 18:35.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

^^ Sundaram Motors had just opened a Chevy Service Station in Whitefield less than a year ago; is that going to be closed down so soon?
Old 19th September 2011, 12:26   #14
Team-BHP Support

Had been to Sundaram Motors today to give my Corsa for servicing.

What once was a chaotic service bay is now an ideal place for meditation; they take in hardly 8 cars for servicing each day. The front lobby is almost empty. The SA don't care much either. Very depressing.

The SA I spoke to said the Chevy dealership will be cancelled by Oct-end latest.

Doesn't make much sense buying a new vehicle from Chevy Sundaram now.
Old 19th September 2011, 14:05   #15
BHPian

My Corsa will be due for timing belt change in sometime, as it's 40K kms, but 8 years old.

Not sure what to do now - should i get it done at sundaram, or get it done later at other service centers. I guess i'll wait, as not sure exactly when it's needed, and if it will be attended to properly at sundaram.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks