Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 16:20   #1
BHPian

What is Tata Motors thinking?

Well, I'm just back from Concorde motors after futilely spending more than a hour to get my broken grill fixed in my Punto. There was a big jam inside concorde as it was too crowded. I had to wait for more than 15mins to get a parking slot. Once, I was in I was made to wait in a room that didn't even have a fan. Imagine being in a closed room without even a fan on a friday afternoon in Chennai. Then I was assigned a SA who asked me to wait for 10mins before he starts the job. 10mins...20mins...40mins. I shouted "where is the SA?". The receptionist tried to reach him but to no avail. I asked her to get my gate pass signed to leave the station. But sensing that I could escalate the issue, she requested me to wait for another 10mins. I did so. And when the SA arrived, I asked him "How many more minutes you want me to wait". He didn't give me an answer. He went near the car and started fixing the grill. He couldn't. He asked a couple of mechanics to fix. They reluctantly tried their hands out but to no avail. After a discussion among them, the SA comes back saying that they need 2hours to fix it. I said "no thanks" and left the station highly dissapointed and infuriated.

Below are some of my observations over a period.

- The service stations are over crowded beyond any limits. One needs to be lucky to get a safe parking space or else you would be asked to park your car blocking some other cars. I observe this in all days and all time. I even made a complaint to Tata's regional manager. He assured me that things will ease out in the coming months. It's been more than a year and things have just gotten worse.

- The entire team of SAs are laid back. They will always carry out a secret talk with the mechanics who attend the car. On one occasion, while getting back my car from second service, I found one of the indicators hanging. The mechanic tried some jugaad which went futile. The SA and the mechanic had some secret talk. The mechanic took my car and returned it back after a while. On a close inspection, I found out that he had used fevi quick to put it in place. I was quite shocked to see feviquick being used for a indicator that is clip on.

- In case you question their work, your cars will be compared with the Indicas and Indigos around. If you are still not satisfied, they 'll throw tantrums at you. And from next time onwards when you visit their service station you will be looked upon as the most unwelcome guest. I've been to Tafe reach and VST motors, the treatment is the same across all TASS here in Chennai.

Also these experiences are not one-off, I've been continually receiving such treatment since day one. Below is a log of one such incident.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...reat-idea.html

If T-bhpians need, I will collect and put all my previos posts here.

I want to know what is Tata Motors thinking. They dish out product after product with no capacity to service them. They make people buy them and put them into hardship with their sub-standard services.

Will the top brasses of Tata Motors answer all these questions?
Old 8th October 2010, 16:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Most of these TASS centers are operating at 150% of their capacity or more. I had almost same experience with Kulathunkal motors in Tvm.

Luckily another Fiat dealership & service opened in town (Mohandas motors) and currently their service centers are very less occupied.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:48   #3
BHPian

Cliffhanger I feel bad for your frustrating experience at concord. First we all have to agree that all the A.S.S technicians are overworked. This issue will cease to exists only when the A.S.S says that I will take only XXX number of customers a day and they implement the advance service booking process. Some of the A.S.S has already implemented this method but the problem is that they are taking atleast 20% more than their capacity as their daily limit.

The sceond major issue is the laid back attitude of the SA. When ever you visit a A.S.S (any brand) the experience of the customer depends totally on the SA who works with the customer. I feel in this aspect Hyundai seems far ahead (comparing to maruthi). The companies needs to identify SA who are customer oriented, not who takes the customer for a ride with their attitude. Most of the SA that i had the privilage to talk to thinks that we the customers are dumb. This attitude frustrates most of us.

I am not sure if I am biased, but I feel that most of the customer waiting lounge are better in maruthi than any other place. I own a vehcile from maruthi and hyundai so my comments are based on personal experience between these two. I welcome others opinion on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I've been to Tafe reach and VST motors, the treatment is the same across all TASS here in Chennai.
On a lighter note, it seems Tata is providing consistant service across their centers.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 8th October 2010 at 16:49.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

I've begun to wonder if tata has an inward style organizational culture. You see Tata's sincerity in dealing with all stakeholders - dealers, suppliers, partners, employees, society in general, but apparently not with customers. Its not even one of those things they claim for themselves. If they dont effect substantial change, I wonder if they can sustain themselves through anything other than their sheer scale, which seem to be getting eroded
Old 8th October 2010, 17:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Same story in Noida. Usually it takes around 1 hour to give the vehicle. the line stretches much beyond the gate. So unless you can arrive really early be prepared to give 2 hours or more, just to give vehicle.

If your vehicle has a problem which cropped up suddenly, you cannot bring it unless you take appointment. Only way to get is to have a breakdown and then wait for their tow car.

I do not know if they plan to open any more workshops in Noida, but unless they do, the experience is going to be painful for all.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Most of these TASS centers are operating at 150% of their capacity or more. I had almost same experience with Kulathunkal motors in Tvm.

Luckily another Fiat dealership & service opened in town (Mohandas motors) and currently their service centers are very less occupied.
Exactly, they always operate at twice their capacity. The number of Tata vehicles that gets on to the roads increases every month but the number of service stations remains the same for many years. The fact that Tata cars are niggle prone is not helping the service stations either

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Cliffhanger I feel bad for your frustrating experience at concord. First we all have to agree that all the A.S.S technicians are overworked. ....

On a lighter note, it seems Tata is providing consistant service across their centers.
Elantra, being in a TASS and a MASS is entirely different. You need to be in a TASS to understand what it takes to own a Tata/Fiat vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've begun to wonder if tata has an inward style organizational culture. You see Tata's sincerity in dealing with all stakeholders - dealers, suppliers, partners, employees, society in general, but apparently not with customers. Its not even one of those things they claim for themselves. If they dont effect substantial change, I wonder if they can sustain themselves through anything other than their sheer scale, which seem to be getting eroded
Yes, most supervisors and their managers are always busy talking to their computers or staring at their tables. If I go to meet them, I'll be greeted with a smile, then they get a call, they keep switching between me and the call and finally give a stupid answer without understanding what I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Same story in Noida. Usually it takes around 1 hour to give the vehicle. the line stretches much beyond the gate. So unless you can arrive really early be prepared to give 2 hours or more, just to give vehicle.

If your vehicle has a problem which cropped up suddenly, you cannot bring it unless you take appointment. Only way to get is to have a breakdown and then wait for their tow car.

I do not know if they plan to open any more workshops in Noida, but unless they do, the experience is going to be painful for all.
I used to wonder why the number of Tata cars in T-bhp is very low compared with other main competitors. I now understand why.

Isn't it time the entire team does something to it? The moderators should take this up to Tata Motors and find what's in their mind.
Old 9th October 2010, 12:14   #7
BHPian

Exactly the same story in a highly infamous Skoda workshop in Gurgaon.
A minimum of 2 Hrs is required at the time of Delivery as well as arrival, when giving your vehicle for service or a even a minor repair.
Great full that now a new Skoda dealerships have opened up here in gurgaon.
Old 9th October 2010, 23:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is related to cost as well.

Every new A.S.S. adds to "management cost". Company has to monitor and manager each A.S.S. With a limited manpower in each region, TATA can manage limited number of centers.
Old 10th October 2010, 11:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

I guess it depends at the time when one visits any A.S.S. What time did you visit @Cliffhanger? I don't intent to say you need to visit at their convenience, however, being in this forum AND if we expect a decent attention to our valuable rides, then we need to probably leave our car over there OR probably be the first to rush. Its still the sad state!!!

On a different thought, if Concorde is 150% loaded, how about starting an independent T.A.S.S. If I'm able to take the 30% of Concorde it should be more than sufficient to run my show & establish myself right?
Old 8th November 2010, 09:38   #10
BHPian

@aargee it is not easy being a TASS. The FOC (Free of Charge) work that these TASS centers end up doing is enormous. The back end work to keep the information flow on these under warranty changes makes their lives miserable.

TASS makes profit only when some Fee based service is done I guess. So every time they take up FOC related work they end up wasting time.

regards,
lsjey
Old 8th November 2010, 10:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

@lsjey - There's absolutely negligible amount of free services compared to the number of Tata vehicles that come for paid services. Even if there're 10 vehicles picked up for a day, the time spent for each vehicle is very less for the fact that, they're new & all they require is air filter change/oil change, brake adjustments. Only the labour is free & they make profits on materials still.

Quote:
So every time they take up FOC related work they end up wasting time
Its not with the FOC work, they waste time, I've seen even MASS guys wasting their time on not knowing what to do. Its the communication gap (in this entire country) & lack of proper procedure & adherence (everyone does it for unwanted things) that is wasting the time.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
On a different thought, if Concorde is 150% loaded, how about starting an independent T.A.S.S. If I'm able to take the 30% of Concorde it should be more than sufficient to run my show & establish myself right?
There are threads on this forum hat discus ROI on car dealership / A.S.S.. None of them are appealing enough when you look at investment (speacially cash flow + large amount of real estate).
Old 8th November 2010, 16:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Well, I'm just back from Concorde motors after futilely spending more than a hour to get my broken grill fixed in my Punto. There was a big jam inside concorde as it was too crowded. I had to wait for more than 15mins to get a parking slot. ...

I've been to Tafe reach and VST motors, the treatment is the same across all TASS here in Chennai.

Also these experiences are not one-off, I've been continually receiving such treatment since day one. Below is a log of one such incident.

Will the top brasses of Tata Motors answer all these questions?

Can you please tell which Concorde motors you went? Injambakkam or Ambattur one?

I completed my first service @ Injambakkam and service was on par with Hyundai service. (the only other service I have experienced)

I reached the service center at 8:45 am. I saw that they had 30 vehicles on the board with vehicle numbers and SA name listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
.... So unless you can arrive really early be ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I guess it depends at the time when one visits any A.S.S. What time did you visit @Cliffhanger? ...
This has been my experience with Hyundai also. Tyr getting an appointment for paid service with Hyundai Motor Plaza and you will understand.

However the other problems you have stated such as fixing the lamp with feviquick are not acceptable. I hope you have given feedback about those to customer care.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

and their good dealers seem to be leaving as well. We had a thread on BU Bhandari leaving them. I guess they figured out that if they could run a T*A*S*S well, they could run *ANY* Dealership/ASC better
Old 8th November 2010, 21:52   #15
BHPian

Apologies if I am providing a contradictory experience.Every time I went to Concorde Motors,on hosur road,Bangalore I was always pointed to the right parking space by the watchman and without any delay promptly handed a slip on which he had noted the time of my entry into the Garage.And the service advisers were assigned based on this priority.

Same experience I had with Prerana motors.

Even when I had barged in with my safari in during the afternoon hours to get some petty stuff fixed I had got a service adviser assigned.

I have even recommended a few friends to Concorde and they always have come back with good feedback.

Having said that I would have to agree that I have heard about some real bitter experiences from my friends about Concorde,Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks