Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Disappointment on Dhanteras!

Actually I was unsure where I should have posted this. I pmed my query to a few mods, but they did not respond. So I am making a new thread here and request the mods to move it if it demands so.

I booked a Cruze LTZ AT in Diamond White (paid a premium for this color) for my wife on the 25th September, 2010. Booking amount I paid was Rs. 25000/- and asked for Dhanteras 2010, i. e. 3rd November, 2010 to be the delivery date. At the time of booking, I was interacting and finalizing the deal with the MD of the GM dealership at Shillong. While finalizing the deal, I made it absolutely clear to the MD that I will refuse to take delivery if;
a. The vehicle was used as a Test Drive mule.
b. If the vehicle had any issues which I notice before taking delivery.

The MD agreed to these conditions.

The vehicle arrived with the dealership on the 20th of October, 2010. I was given a call on that day by the MD himself who informed me of the arrival and also informed me that since this was the first automatic for the dealership, they have made it a display piece for the their showroom till I take delivery. Upon resisting, he assured me that they will not let people take test drives on this vehicle. I reluctantly agreed.

I was out of town then and could not go to inspect or see the vehicle. The inspection happened on the 27th October. Upon inspection, I checked the vehicle thoroughly, inside-out and found no issues. I then gave them the go ahead to fit the chosen accessories; floor mat (free), mud flaps (free), sil plates (paid). Took information about the balance amount to be paid by me and left the showroom. As promised by me to the MD, I cleared all payments payable by me to the dealership before I arrived at the dealership at the scheduled time today morning, i. e. 11AM. However, to my utter disappointment and surprise, there was a huge dent on the bonet of the vehicle. It seemed like someone had dropped something heavy and sharp on the bonet. I immediately informed the manager on duty that I will not be taking delivery of this particular vehicle because of this issue and also noted the VIN of the vehicle. I wanted to see the MD who I was communicating with but unfortunately he was not in town and was to be back the next day. Also, the MD's phone was not reachable and so I messaged him and left the showroom. Luckily, the dealership had not done the registration of the vehicle and so I collected the money receipt for my payments to them and also collected the documents I had given them for the registration of the vehicle.

In the evening on the same day, the MD called me and I told him clearly that I would not be taking delivery of the vehicle for the reasons I have mentioned above. He told me that he will get a new bonet from GM and change it free of cost but I was not willing to budge since I feel that;
a. There can be a difference in the color.
b. My vehicle will be parked in the sun and in the process, the color will cure/fade. As such, there could be a difference in the color of the new bonet and the vehicle.
c. I cannot trust the same people who screwed up here to install the bonet correctly without damaging other parts on the vehicle.

The MD suggested that I take the vehicle on his committment and also suggested that he was willing to give me some further discount on the vehicle. I however refused to budge. He was to be back in town the next day and had asked me to spare some time to meet with him. I told him that now that he had my money, he could sit on it till he decides to get me a new vehicle.

Now my questions (to the mods) were:
1. What should I do?
2. Is there any possibility of the color on the vehicle being different from a new bonet from GM?
3. How much discount is reasonable for this?

Ideally, I would want a new vehicle but I don't know how reasonable I am here.

Can the dealership refuse to oblige in getting me a new vehicle? If yes, what are my options?

Sorry for this long message, but I am really clueless in what my next step should be and the tears in my wife's eye was enough to leave me heart broken and I became numb in reaching a decision!

Now for the updates from the next day. The MD called as promised. I asked him what my options were. As expected he came up with 2 options;
1. Take the vehicle they have at the showroom and he would ensure that I get a new bonet directly painted at the factory at Halol. He would be responsible for any issues thereafter.
2. Give them some time to get a new vehicle.

After considering both options and debating the fact that the auspiciousness of the festive season was already over with the tears in my wife's eyes, I decided to go with the 2nd option.

What would others here have done in this situation?
Old 5th November 2010, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its unfortunate that the bonnet got dented. But I think you are worrying unnecessarily about colour matching with the new bonnet. If it is a painted piece from the factory itself then there'll be no issues at all. Fitting it is also very easy.

If I were you, I would take the car with replaced bonnet and negotiate a discount. The fact that the MD has offered you a discount with you asking is reasonable and rare.

You have already paid the full amount and there's no definite guarantee as to when a new car will arrive. And no guarantee that it will be faultless also. So why wait indefinitely after paying the entire amount?
Old 5th November 2010, 11:11   #3
BHPian

Really sad story. I think it's wise decision to wait for a brand new car. Could you please check with the possibility of getting interests on the money you have paid to the dealer. Because the things get delayed due to mess created by the other party.

Keep posted and hope you'll get the new car soon.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

I will not take delivery, even if he gives me FOC. Wait for some more time and ask for a fresh piece from halol, or else, check another diesel automatic sedan like the laura. Its after all paying 14-15 lakh. What you should ensure at the end is piece of mind after paying such hefty amount.

Get another piece or if you want early, change your colour preference.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:15   #5
BHPian

IMO, get a new car or ask 50% discount with free new bonnet
Old 5th November 2010, 11:15   #6

Hard luck dude :(

In my opinion you can ask him to do the paint job, basically check back till you are happy with it. If you dont think they are doing a good job you can always raise it with the customer desk at GM. In terms of discount, you can always ask him 2 pay for the registration or smaller accessories you planned to buy. Anyways dont expect a lot.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th November 2010 at 14:22. Reason: Please refrain from using SMS language in posts (2=to etc.)
Old 5th November 2010, 11:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

If the bonnet is made by GM, why should there be a change in color?

I don't think there is a need to worry, though ask them to give their commitments in writing. And if there are any discrepancies, you can act accordingly.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Now my questions (to the mods) were:
1. What should I do?
2. Is there any possibility of the color on the vehicle being different from a new bonet from GM?
3. How much discount is reasonable for this?

Ideally, I would want a new vehicle but I don't know how reasonable I am here.

Can the dealership refuse to oblige in getting me a new vehicle? If yes, what are my options?

Sorry for this long message, but I am really clueless in what my next step should be and the tears in my wife's eye was enough to leave me heart broken and I became numb in reaching a decision!

Now for the updates from the next day. The MD called as promised. I asked him what my options were. As expected he came up with 2 options;
1. Take the vehicle they have at the showroom and he would ensure that I get a new bonet directly painted at the factory at Halol. He would be responsible for any issues thereafter.
2. Give them some time to get a new vehicle.

After considering both options and debating the fact that the auspiciousness of the festive season was already over with the tears in my wife's eyes, I decided to go with the 2nd option.

What would others here have done in this situation?
I hope you would also ask the forum members.

I really pity with you. The Indian dealership has the capability to spoil anyones party!

Firstly, you must contact the customer service and explain your case in detail. No sympathy. This may speed up delivery on new vehicle.

Secondly, ask for a new vehicle (Option 2) as you have wisely already opted for. Be sure to check the VIN of new one as it might be the same vehicle with bonnet changed (unless you dont have any objections to that).

Thirdly, ask for discounts. Bargain hard. There are no limits for discounts. Just dont ask the vehicle for free.

Lastly, cheer up and look ahead. All izz well. You have missed an auspicious date thats all. I know its pretty important.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

see, though there may not be anything wrong with the replaced bumper, it is psyche to have a damaged car.

Sometimes things don't happen as planned, it may be for a reason. Take it as a sign that you should not get the car and wait for what your heart says. It is bad that you could not get the car on the date you wanted, so I rather you wait!

Last edited by anilisanil : 5th November 2010 at 11:46.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
If I were you, I would take the car with replaced bonnet and negotiate a discount. The fact that the MD has offered you a discount with you asking is reasonable and rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If the bonnet is made by GM, why should there be a change in color?
Even if the bonnet is painted at the manufacturer, it is normally the case that the same "batch" of paint is used for a certain number of cars, including the plastics like bumpers in whole. A factory paint job on a finished product line does not mean matching is guaranteed.

Simple conditions like the temperature (high for metal panels and low for plastics) in the booths can alter the paint tone.

Go for a completely new Car.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Matching a painted bonnet is near impossible, unless they replace it with the bonnet of the same batch and colour.

But as I understand there is no way the company will ship a factory painted bonnet to you, they will ship a bare non-painted spare and that will get painted by the dealer.

Your options :

a) if they have stock of the same colour/ batch vehicle anywhere nearby, get only the bonnet swapped.

b) Dont take delivery.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:49   #12
BHPian

Thank you all for the responses! As I have already mentioned, the MD is a resonable man and a man of his words! He agreed to everything I wanted and has placed an order for a new vehicle. However, GM does not have the Diamond White Cruze LTZ AT in stock and so the vehicle will be sent only after the same is manufactured! So this means I have to wait for a minimum of 45 days before I can have the vehicle. So my next target will be to get delivery on the 1st of January, 2011!

I am an optimist by nature and am a firm believer in the fact that whatever happens, happens for a reason! It is disappointing but if God has planned it this way, then so be it!

About the bonet being replaced, I refused it outright precisely for the reasons which many of our members have already listed.

Now, if someone here has some contacts at GM, please help me out. I would appreciate if I can get the vehicle earlier. Auspiciousness of the season has already ended for me and now the dealer is sitting pretty with all my money. He will not run away with it but I would prefer if I have it either with me or if my car is delivered to me before my patience runs out!

Last edited by SumitB : 5th November 2010 at 13:02.
Old 5th November 2010, 13:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel you should take the delivery and the MDs offer. Since the bonnet will be coming from the factory I dont feel you should be worried about the paint much. It is still a brand new car plus you can ofcourse get some more discount on it.
I dont see any point in pushing for a new vehicle. But ofcourse Its your hard earned money and if you feel you cannot digest the new bonnet then please go for a new vehicle( though i personally feel they will create issues with it and you might have to go through a lot of mental agony before getting a brand new vehicle). So if you feel its worth the effort then surely go for a new vehicle.
Old 5th November 2010, 13:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Matching a painted bonnet is near impossible, unless they replace it with the bonnet of the same batch and colour.

But as I understand there is no way the company will ship a factory painted bonnet to you, they will ship a bare non-painted spare and that will get painted by the dealer.
^Totally agree with you there!!
Replacement parts always come bare!
The dealership paint booth has to paint them to match the car's color!

Then again, paint matching by paintbooths of dealerships is total crap due to the complete lack of skill/workmanship/finishing + also as they are plain lazy to match the color as they 'believe' that its impossible to get a 100% match! lol

(It is possible!!!)

If I were you, I'd tell the dealer to get a new piece from the factory.
(why should we just go along with the dealership's mistakes?)
Old 5th November 2010, 14:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

What was the cause for the dent? Sorry if uve already mentioned it.

If he can get you a factory painted bonnet then why not give it a shot? Afterall if the rest of the car seems fine, then you will save yourself more than a month of waiting.

Also even if you cant get a factory painted bonnet, why not give them a shot at colour matching? From whatever little ive seen nowadays, colour matching is done quite well. And it is mainly a problem with older cars, where the paint shade has faded a bit, and then some part is repainted which looks new. But since your car is new, the newly painted bonnet should match just fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks