Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Unprofessional attitude of Skoda dealers in Mumbai

Hi

I was looking forward to book the new Skoda Fabia diesel in the first week of November. I had almost booked the Ford Figo diesel before someone recommended me to check out your new Fabia diesel 1.2 TDI.

I visited JMD Auto's Andheri east (Mumbai) showroom on the 24th of October Sunday to Test drive the car, I could not test drive the diesel variant as it was not available. Mr. Abhijeet Kamath from sales assured me that he would call back and arrange for a Test Drive in the next few days.

I waited patiently till next Sunday 31st October but received no communication. I then went all the way to JMD Auto's New Bombay showroom at Sanpada, only to be informed that the diesel Test drive vehicle is not available as it was with Skoda due to some audits???

Once again I was promised a test drive in the next few days and have not heard from anyone. I got an urgent call from Abhijeet Kamath on 4th November saying that if I don’t book the car ASAP my allocation would get further delayed.. On my enquiring about the test drive he said he will call back in a while and confirm a time - its the 7th today and guess what - no call from him yet.

I tried calling Autobahn - Andheri West but even they are yet to call back with regards to the test drive.

I even tried registering on the Skoda’s website for a test drive, I received a call on the 4th of October and was given the same response - yet no confirmation on a Test Drive.

I am surprised that a premium automaker like Skoda would launch a car without supplying its dealers with a test drive vehicle for its Mumbai dealerships.

Also what surprises me is the unprofessional attitude of the Skoda dealer sales force... My greatest concern is the fact that if this is the treatment a serious potential customer receives what happens once I buy my car from Skoda??

Has anyone test driven the new Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI diesel in Mumbai? If yes then please guide me to the point of contact at the dealership or the company.

Is it just me or anyone receiving such tretement from Skoda dealers??
Old 7th November 2010, 18:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaalsaigal View Post
Hi

I had almost booked the Ford Figo diesel before someone recommended me to check out your new Fabia diesel 1.2 TDI.
Is that 'someone' a certain Mr. Karthik Ramesh, or perhaps 'Ms. Meghna'?

Quote:
Mr. Abhijeet Kamath from sales assured me that he would call back and arrange for a Test Drive in the next few days.
I waited patiently till next Sunday 31st October but received no communication.
Once again I was promised a test drive in the next few days and have not heard from anyone.
On my enquiring about the test drive he said he will call back in a while and confirm a time - its the 7th today and guess what - no call from him yet.
I tried calling Autobahn - Andheri West but even they are yet to call back with regards to the test drive.
I even tried registering on the Skoda’s website for a test drive, I received a call on the 4th of October and was given the same response - yet no confirmation on a Test Drive.
There you have it. You've tried five times to establish communication with not one, but two Skoda dealers. And they have undoubtedly let you down. My theory? If a dealer is not interested in selling you their car, then don't buy it. Think about it. They wouldn't be particularly interested in servicing your car either, for all you know.

When we were in the market for a premium hatch, we had considered the Fabia 1.2 petrol and thankfully, our TD car arrived at our door-step, albeit after much cajoling. We were impressed by the Fabia to a great extent. But the sales-rep put us off completely. He even went all the way by saying that most cars (including the Punto, the Jazz and the i20) were powered by 3-pot motors!

Quote:
I got an urgent call from Abhijeet Kamath on 4th November saying that if I don’t book the car ASAP my allocation would get further delayed..
Just another tactic to get you to make an impulse decision that you'd probably regret later. He just wants you to buy the car quickly. That's all.

Quote:
I am surprised that a premium automaker like Skoda would launch a car without supplying its dealers with a test drive vehicle for its Mumbai dealerships.
Surprised? Well, I'm for one, not surprised at all. In fact, I would expect this sort of behaviour from the dealerships.

Quote:
Also what surprises me is the unprofessional attitude of the Skoda dealer sales force... My greatest concern is the fact that if this is the treatment a serious potential customer receives what happens once I buy my car from Skoda??
You've answered your own question here.

Quote:
Is it just me or anyone receiving such tretement from Skoda dealers??
Welcome to Team-BHP my friend. A place where you will find several automotive enthusiasts; many who would kill to own a Skoda Octavia vRS. But the irony is that Skoda has treated several customers with utter disdain. There is enough proof on this forum. Just do a quick search and you'll know what I'm on about. In fact, all you need to do is key-in 'Skoda' in the search bar. That will be all.

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: Skoda as a car-maker is fantastic! They make some of the most robust and well engineered cars today. They offer supreme comfort and sublime performance, something that can give BMW/Mercedes sleepless nights, while at the same time, pricing them smartly and making sure that they are affordable. However, you cannot say the same about their circle of dealers within the country. They are an absolute disgrace and they continue to let the 'Skoda' brand down. I am a huge Skoda fan. And it pains me to see this happen on a regular basis.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th November 2010 at 18:28.
Old 7th November 2010, 21:15   #3
BHPian

My experience has been a bit different with these 2 guys in Mumbai - JMD & Autobahn. Here's my frank & honest views on both based on what treatment was dished out to me:

My office colleague booked his Superb (1.8 A/T Petrol) thru JMD and got a fabulous discount which is when i approached JMD for a test drive. No response/call back. Similarly tried Autobahn - similar experience. Then approached the same sales guy as my office colleague who was a sea-change from the earlier guy. Sent over the car from Thane to South Mumbai for a test drive - great chauffer who explained all the features in detail and was very patient despite me delaying his next appointment (after all its a 22 lakh decision). Follow up from JMD sales was prompt, discount was similar and i closed the deal 2 weeks ago. Got the colour of my choice (white) in 2 weeks and collected on Dhan Teras. Excellent response at the Andheri showroom when i went to take delivery (even though Prashant was from the Thane showroom, i wanted delivery from Andheri). So far so good.
When i tried for a similar discount at Autobhan - no go. Even spoke to the showroom manager but he was very firm. I guess i'd have got reasonable service from his reasonable attitude but somehow JMD seemed overall better geared to treat customers and follow up with them.
If you need help with the salesperson's contact, let me know.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:50   #4
BHPian

There you have it. I too have faced the same tune during my inquiry about the fabia diesel. I was rather told that the new engine aint no good and they have their old 1.4 D engined fabia which should be of my interest and bundled with 60K+ discounts. I was certain on checking the new one out. But then again, "will call you back to confirm" and no revert as of yet.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:31   #5
BHPian

Hey guys update, Shethsa you are absolutely bang on about JMD.. Just got a call from Mukta from JMD Andheri East... Not only has she managed to arrange for a Test Drive car but is also sending it over to my office today..

I guess I was dealing with a wrong person earlier..

Will keep everyone updated post the TD....
Old 8th November 2010, 13:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

The name Abhijeet Kamath rings a bell in my head. If I am not wrong, he was with Millenium Toyota earlier.

OT: He lives in my vicinty and I know him personally.
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:19   #7
BANNED

Guess Skoda is training their dealers uniformly across the country.

I didnt have bad exp from skoda when i was to purchase a fabia in 2008,in fact they offered me 3 test drives and were willing to do anything.

one month back i had gone to same showroom to enquire for my friend and the lady in the showroom was exaggerating "body colour bumper" as a feature and AC and central locking.

I was irritated and asked told her that these things are standard now even in a alto and Indica.What was she thinking of us ? fools ?

I gave her back and asked her not to treat us like a first time car buyers and stepped out
Old 8th January 2011, 10:00   #8

Re: Unprofessional attitude of Skoda dealers in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
EDIT: DISCLAIMER: Skoda as a car-maker is fantastic! They make some of the most robust and well engineered cars today. They offer supreme comfort and sublime performance, something that can give BMW/Mercedes sleepless nights, while at the same time, pricing them smartly and making sure that they are affordable. However, you cannot say the same about their circle of dealers within the country. They are an absolute disgrace and they continue to let the 'Skoda' brand down. I am a huge Skoda fan. And it pains me to see this happen on a regular basis.
You've got it bang on target. Skoda is an engineering beauty.It's presence on the roads is a head turner - but the dealer's have taken advantage for all the wrong reasons. Sad that this has happened in India. If you see the car reviews and opinions from websites across the world, especially Europe, you'll see a totally different picture.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Suhaas,
Thats an awesome disclaimer. Sometimes I even joke that Skoda may have hinted our Indian dealers to show-up bit attitude and discourage few (not so serious customers) Inquiries and TD requests so that they can meet with the demands that anyway their marvelously crafted beauties are going to create (thus avoiding waiting periods!). But our dealers must have took it more seriously than necessary and following their instructions very strictly by turning down most customers they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroTurbo View Post
You've got it bang on target. Skoda is an engineering beauty.It's presence on the roads is a head turner - but the dealer's have taken advantage for all the wrong reasons. Sad that this has happened in India. If you see the car reviews and opinions from websites across the world, especially Europe, you'll see a totally different picture.
+1
LOL. my above theory explains why they are honored in other countries but not in India!
Old 13th February 2011, 10:45   #10
BHPian

I recently visited Autobahn at Prabhadevi and wanted to test drive the Yeti and the Fabia. The Yeti not being around the sales guy sent it to my house at my convenient time and explained everything in detail and a routine visit to the showroom the same guy let me test drive the Fabia right away, infact on enquiring about the diesel he asked straight away if i wanted to test drive the diesel. So no negative points per se. Just want to know how the service standards of Autobahn rank up before i decide to buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks