Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 13:40   #1
BHPian

FIAT Dreadful Experience - KB Motors, Alipore, Kolkata

We ordered a red Grande Punto (1.4 Petrol, Emotion Pack) a few weeks ago. When the representative from K B Motors came to deliver the car to our office on 27.11.10, I noticed the following defects:
1) There was a small imperfection on the front end of the bonnet.
2) Paint was peeling off from the edge of the rear left door.
3) Rear windscreen had white marks/patches all over which did not go even with
thorough cleaning.
4) The rear left light (in the bumper) was broken and tied to the bumper with a wire!!!
5) The rear right seat belt was not functioning.
6) There were scratches on the right front door mirror casing.
7) There were scratches on the rear bumper.
8) Wheel bolts were rusted.
9) Cheap rubber floor mats were placed instead original Fiat mats (as promised during booking).
10) Tyre air pressure in all the wheels was very low.

I also called for the PDI sheet and was shocked to see certain points marked as
"NOT OK". Inspite of this, the car was delivered.

On my insistence the sales person called a senior from K B Motors (our office being a stone's throw distance from their showroom helped matters). He understood the whole situation and promised to take corrective actions for the above which included REPLACING the damaged door, bonnet, rear bumper light and wheel bolts and rectifying the others.

Last Saturday, the car was once again given to us but many of the issues still
remained. We did not accept the vehicle. On 8.12.10, the sales person informed that all the work was 100% complete and we could come to the showroom to collect the vehicle.

Since it was raining, I could not do a thorough check but still found the following problems:

1) The left rear door had been repainted and not REPLACED. Paint overspray was evident on the window rubber trim and the screws on the side of the door near the lock area.
2) White patches were still visible on the rear windscreen.
3) Bonnet was totally misaligned (could not make out whether it was repainted or replaced due to the rain).

Senior people of K B Motors at the showroom tried to convince me that any new Fiat car would have some defects and that I should not be worried above these minor issues! When I put my put my foot down, they have once again kept the car and promised to do the needful. Instead of enjoying the Fiat experience, we have totally lost trust in this brand and have dropped the idea of purchasing a
Linea (T-Jet) for the launch of which I had eagerly waited.

This morning (9.12.10) I got a call from the sales person that the work was done and he could come and deliver the car. I told him to personally check and call me back confirming that everything was ok. When I did not get a call from him even after an hour, I called him and was not very shocked to hear that some work was still pending and would take a couple of hours more.
The car is still with K B Motors inspite of almost 2 weeks having past since the
original delivery. We ordered this car as it was available off the shelf but the very purpose of quick delivery has been totally lost.
In the meantime, I have also written about this incident to the Retail Sales Manager (Fiat brands) but am yet to get a reply.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:21   #2
BANNED

Re: FIAT Dreadful Experience - KB Motors, Alipore, Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddd View Post
Senior people of K B Motors at the showroom tried to convince me that any new Fiat car would have some defects and that I should not be worried above these minor issues!
This is ridiculous and that too, coming from a senior sales guy! New cars from Fiat do not have these kind of minor issues. You are being taken for a ride there... you shouldn't have taken the delivery of such a car.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is terrible! I suspect some foul play from the dealer. Is he trying to push you a TD Punto to make a quick buck? What was the odo reading when you first saw the car? Also was the speedo disconnected? Also, check when the car was manufactured by the VIN number. Search team-bhp for the thread that explains how to decode the VIN number.

If PDI failed from the dealer and still insists you to buy, it is not at all fair. Ask them to replace the car.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A new item, whatever it is, should be perfect. If bits have to be replaced, it is no longer new, it is a repaired item.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:34   #5
BHPian

As you did not accept the car, please cancel the vehicle and go with another delear, he is cheating you, dont accept the car. either ask him to replace the car.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is absolutely ludicrous for dealer to do. Fiat or No Fiat. When a car is delivered to you, it should have ZERO defects.

I suggest you launch a formal complaint against the dealer through all possible channels.

I would suggest that you put in a word along with a link to this thread in the following places....

Fiat India

Fiat India

If possible even contact the numbers mentioned here :-

Fiat India
Old 9th December 2010, 14:45   #7
BHPian

I suggest you put in a mail to mangesh.kodalkar@fiapl.com He is the customer service manager for after sales. You can also call up the Fiat helpline and register a complaint. I think the dealer is either trying to palm off a test drive vehicle or an accident car.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddd View Post
When the representative from K B Motors came to deliver the car to our office on 27.11.10
I do not understand this. You just placed an order and waited for the car to be delivered?
You did not go to the showroom/stockyard to do a PDI?
And if you did a PDI did you use the Team-BHP PDI list?

In case that you have'nt done any of these, I am sorry to say, you exposed yourself to a potential fraud.
Its you money afterall man. Your money.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I do not understand this. You just placed an order and waited for the car to be delivered?
You did not go to the showroom/stockyard to do a PDI?
And if you did a PDI did you use the Team-BHP PDI list?

In case that you have'nt done any of these, I am sorry to say, you exposed yourself to a potential fraud.
Its you money afterall man. Your money.
+1
Paying up and expecting that they will deliver a fresh, untouched & flawless car at your doorsteps is not wise. A PDI from your side with the t-bhp check list would have pre-empted all their plans to play fraud on you.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:08   #10
BHPian

Feel really sorry for you. Is it possible to cancel the booking and go for another car? If I were you, I would settle for the same car only if that is the last option. With so much patch work, it doesn't feel like a new car anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
+1
Paying up and expecting that they will deliver a fresh, untouched & flawless car at your doorsteps is not wise. A PDI from your side with the t-bhp check list would have pre-empted all their plans to play fraud on you.
@clevermax and download2live,

Even in case he has not done the TBHP PDI ( thousand of customers across India still do not do it), Is it too much to expect a defect free product and that too an expensive one like a car?

Last edited by sbkumar : 9th December 2010 at 15:12. Reason: Response to new updates
Old 9th December 2010, 15:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Could you please post some pictures of the imperfections you have stated. May be we can comment more on whether it came defective from the plant or something that the dealer is trying to cheat you.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:22   #12
BHPian

To continue my harrasment story :
I got a call from the dealer about 1.5 hours ago that the vehicle was ready. When I told them to get it delivered to my office, I was made to understand that senior officials from Fiat wanted to meet me and therefore, they wanted me to come to the showroom. We mutually agreed on a specific time. On arriving at the showroom at that time, there was no Fiat person and I was told that he left as he had a meeting. I left the showroom and have still not got the car home.
It seems that they are the only people who work. They do not care about the time and energy that I have unnecessarily wasted and that too during working hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Could you please post some pictures of the imperfections you have stated. May be we can comment more on whether it came defective from the plant or something that the dealer is trying to cheat you.
Can't post pictures right now as the car is still at the showroom and they have worked on these points. Most of the defects don't seem to be manufacturing defects. Some of these may have come due to poor storage at their stockyard (rusting bolts, whites patches on windscreen, scratches, etc). Others should have been rectified during the PDI (tyre pressure, seat belt, etc). The only manufacturing defect could be the small imperfection on the bonnet.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
@clevermax and download2live,

Even in case he has not done the TBHP PDI ( thousand of customers across India still do not do it), Is it too much to expect a defect free product and that too an expensive one like a car?
YES.
Wake up Sir. You are in India.

When I went to book my car I was literally telling the salesman almost every 15 mins that I will be doing a Team-BHP PDI. So he better be prepared.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
YES.
Wake up Sir. You are in India.

When I went to book my car I was literally telling the salesman almost every 15 mins that I will be doing a Team-BHP PDI. So he better be prepared.
I too did the exact same thing and even carried a print out of t-bhp check list, that made the salesman go nuts. I heard them talking about it among themselves - that the guy is carrying information from internet and that he is gonna check every damn thing.

Result? I got a car which was perfect, no issues and only 8 Kms on the odo. I could track the car from the moment it was unloaded form the goods carrier.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Siddd: Bonnet alignment imperfection can be pretty Okay I feel. The rest of the issues should not be accepted. The dealership is not showing value to the customer. As Praful said, do get this to the notice of Top Fiat officials to take action on the dealer.

See if you could get the car replaced at the dealership. Repairs will never satisy you today nor anytime in future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks