Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 13:29   #1
BHPian

Review of Kulathunkal Motors : Tata ASC (Trivandrum)

I bought my Indigo CS TDi from Kulathunkal Motors in June 2010. I've detailed my buying/ownership experience in other threads, and I'd rate them positively. I've done my first (1000km) and second (5000 km) services there, and am planning to do the third service there as well. In addition, I was invited to a free 25-point checkup and water service in December.

Firstly, I must say that this is a really busy ASC. They don't have a pick-up / drop-off facility, but they will drop you off at Chakka Jn. or Kazhakuttom, or Technopark. At least, that has been my experience. This is kind of an important point for me, so I'm taking points off them for that.

I feel that they ripped me off in installing the ICE. They charged me Rs. 750 for installation of the HU, two 4in speakers on the dash, and two 6X9 ovals on the rear tray. I handed over the cash assuming that this included wiring, and later discovered that the car came pre-wired for everything. But then, it was partly my mistake for not asking around here for the full info. Besides, I don't want them to have the opportunity to deny me warranty if anything goes wrong with the ICE install. I have this sneaky suspicion that it was the accessories guy who pocketed the cash and not the department per se.

They managed to solve most of the mechanical issues that I had with the car, especially with the rear suspension noise that started after I drove over a speed-breaker at 70 kph. They took a bit of time, and explained that they had to have a new rear strut shipped from Chennai. Again, one would think that an ASC that claims to be the largest one in Asia (yeah they do) would have a better inventory for one of their largest selling cars ever. But the delay was just two days. The rear suspension is still noisy, but better than before. I hope there is no permanent damage and they are just incompetent.

I've had two shunts on this car, both minor. One was when I backed into a telephone pole. They did a good job, but not perfect. My uncle immediately noticed that there was a color difference. I had to go back again because they hadn't painted the inside of the boot panel.

They did a rather shoddy job of re-painting the rear door and q-panel the next time the car got dented. The denting was done wel,, but they managed to get paint on the ac vents, beading etc. They've assured me that they will fix it when I take the car in next time. We'll see.

One major beef I have with them is that they tend to blame a lot of things on Tata's quality. They did some body work on my rear door, and claim that it is impossible to correct the gap. The service engineer flatly refused to even check the numbing vibes on my gearshift, claiming that all Indigos have the same trouble, and that it would be sorted at the 10K service, which included gearshift adjustment.

What I would give them the highest marks for is follow-up. After every visit, we were contacted by them and any lingering issues were promptly addressed. I had expected much worse from them after reading about several bad experiences by other owners, but so far, it's been great.

Their roadside assistance was also prompt, when our car was refusing to start due to vapour lock (we didn't know at the time). They were there in minutes. We were on the byepass, on the incline after Aakkulam Bridge. Not too far fro the dealership, true, but it does mean that they started out immediately.

I don't think I know enough about their service to rate them just yet. But I'd give them 6/10 for service, plus 1 for effort, so total 7/10. I've never had to do anything more than ask politely to get good service.

Everything I have done so far hasn't cost me much (insurance clam for the denting work was Rs. 500) and everything else was done under warranty. But from what I see on the bills, the labour is on the higher side. I am sure that I won't go to them for painting jobs once the car is out of full claim.

Others, please share your experiences, preferably recent ones, so that we can see if they have improved. We all know that they've been quite bad before. After all, Tata did score over Toyota and Ford, and fell short of Hyundai by 6 points. This couldn't have happened without serious improvement. Also, comparisons to other TASCs would be welcome, especially Focuz Motors. (They're 1.5 km away from my house and they have been calling and promising free pick-up/drop-off)
Old 16th February 2011, 12:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Review of Kulathunkal Motors : Tata ASC (Trivandrum)

vivekgk: First of all, very well written review. I too have a completely mixed experience at Kulathunkal. I have a Nano and purchased it in August 2010. I asked them to do full flooring which was done in a very shabby manner! Do check my post about it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2047049

I made them do it again free of cost after shouting at them like anything. And the work was done well the second time! And my car has a faulty sun visor right from the time of delivery, but till now they have not received the part, or at least that is what they say! Need to question them more! And gave my car for the second service and they returned the car even without proper cleaning and certain issues not yet sorted out! Had to give to them again after giving them an earful and got the car back yesterday with all the works done in an acceptable manner, but not the sun visor. Need to take up the issue.

And a new problem that i have found is that the underbody of the car has a dent after it being lifted in their ramp. When i asked them to rectify it, they showed me other nano's which had the same issue. I lodged a complaint against it and they were pretty cool about it too! The paint in that part has gone partly and i think rust has started to appear too! Please do check your running board/underbody if your car has been put in the ramp. Any other members, do you have such dents in your car? Do share.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks