Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 13:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Advice needed - Cheated by dealer on Nano sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
They told her that they could get her a Nov 2010 model within 10 days and give her a discount of Rs.4000 on the price.
One correction: They hadn't stated 10 days' waiting. They had only indicated they would organize it and give her a call as soon as it was ready.

Thanks again to everyone. The dealer got back today asking my sister to accept the car with accessories worth Rs.2000 - they had apparently given her accessories worth about 2K with the car and they said they would give her some more now to make up for the stated price difference between 2011 and 2010 models. I don't understand what their logic is.

Anyways, as suggested by many of you, we have filled up the complaint form at Tata Motors' site asking for a resolution (in order of preference):
Replacement with Nov 2010 model
Buyback and cash refund
Open to their suggestion to make up for the dealer's dishonesty and for the significantly older (and worn) car that was delivered.

Let us see if they can help.

Last edited by spindoc : 4th March 2011 at 13:42.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I fully understand the spirit with which your statement has been made, but I still believe every customer is entitled to honest / transparent dealings, irrespective of how well- or ill- informed they might be.
Yes but you forgot that we are in India.
And that we have a failed judicial system.
And that guilty party knows that by the time judgment is given the wronged party would have died or moved on. And even if alive the compensation will be peanuts. It will be a mockery.

OT : I never even realized but slowly I have adapted myself to a life in a country where there is no justice. I avoid dealing with Police like plague and Courts like hell. I know if someone wrongs me there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I just have to take a bitter gulp and say to myself, But life still goes on.

:'-(
Old 4th March 2011, 18:38   #18
BHPian

This is shocking and totally unacceptable. Do write to Tata motors ( top bosses) and also to newspapers. Tata is desperately trying to sell the Nano and would like to avoid adverse publicity at any cost.
Old 4th March 2011, 21:42   #19
BANNED

Our judicial system only follows the Indian philosophy - samay anadi anant hai (Time is timeless). I will say ask for at least Rs.10000 of goodies and move on, 2000 is too less!
Old 4th March 2011, 22:25   #20
BANNED

Try locating the TATA motors sales office in chennai . Just walk into the office and meet the sales manager /regional manager . Create a ruckus . It helps a lot .
Emailing , customer care are more of a set of escapism tools . Most of the telecom companies , Private banks follow the route .
Old 4th March 2011, 23:09   #21
BHPian

I too feel you should settle the case with additional accessories/warranty etc. Ensure the car is in proper condition when you take delivery.

But whatever you decide, do not leave the issue with the dealer alone. Follow it up thoroughly with Tata.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:47   #22
BHPian

Thanks to all of you for your support! Here is an update on what's happened:
  • Filled complaint form on TML site. No acknowledgment or response.
  • Called up customer care. Weren't well-informed and couldn't trace the complaint submitted online. Took another complaint with promise of 2 business day turnaround (not met) and also gave Regional Manager's phone # (Bangalore).

In the meantime, the dealer made multiple attempts to get us to take the car with an offer to add some basic accessories. This was flatly refused.

The GM from the dealership offered to send the Sales Manager to our place to discuss the issue. I was quite sure they would bring the car and try to force a decision.
The Sales Manager told us they had planned to bring the car home and discuss. We refused this and told him we expected a substantial offer if we had to accept the May 2010 model.

Their latest offer is of body coloured bumpers and door handles, 3M paint protection and some other accessory (supposedly worth 14K in total). When asked for central locking and OE ICE, the dealer says they don't advise it to anyone as they are afraid of playing with the Nano's electricals! They are prepared to give us cash (a reduced sum) instead and say we can fit the ICE elsewhere.

I am now concerned about the following:
  1. Why is the dealer wary of adding any accessories that involve wiring? Is it just a ploy or could there be any problems with this specific car?
  2. If the electrical setup is actually so fragile, is it wise to get the ICE set up by a 3rd party? Would it void warranty?
  3. How does one verify that the additional safety features (offered by Tata in Nov 2010) have been retrofitted on this car? Should it be documented or is a physical demo by the SA enough?

In the meantime, I found that TML had hiked the price of the Nano by around Rs. 14000 ex-showroom last year, (first in July and then on Nov 1). This being a May 2010 model would definitely have cost the dealer a lot less than the Nov 2010 model promised to my sister!

I am pretty sure they are sitting on some really great profits right now, on this particular sale. We are absolutely intent on making them pay for their misdeeds, as well as ensuring that my sister is adequately compensated and that her car is as safe and reliable as any new Nano.

Last edited by spindoc : 10th March 2011 at 02:55.
Old 14th March 2011, 07:34   #23
BHPian

If he is offering decent amount of money, I suggest you take it and move on. I do not want to discourage you, but sometimes the courts are just not worth it.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:14   #24
BHPian

Done deal!

My sincere thanks to each one of you for your suggestions and support.

After some rounds of going back and forth, we asked for a discussion with the GM and Sales Manager of the dealership. The GM was extremely courteous and eager to resolve the problem. He also asked for another supervisor to be present.

We placed all the facts in front of them. He sounded shocked to hear some of the problems (vehicle not offered for inspection, handing over of car without basic cleaning and PDI, PDI checklist having been filled up by sales staff) and asked the supervisor to note these down and wondered if any other customers were being treated so badly.

He told us we had the right to ask for anything as we had been wronged and that he would do what he could. He apologized and promised to set things right within the dealership to prevent a recurrence of such incidents.

They were hesitant about paying us in cash or offering the Tata genuine music system / LX central locking kit, saying they were not in immediate supply. They had earlier offered accessories and services (most of which we didn't like) worth around Rs.14000.

We finally negotiated the following deal:
Pioneer HU (CD / USB) with 2 speakers - This is supposedly sourced from Autocop and is a Tata recommended unit (they showed us a document to this effect)
Autocop (Tata branded) remote locking kit
Tata genuine Alloys (Set of 4)
Door Rub rails (genuine accessory)

These totally came to around Rs. 23500. We paid them Rs. 5000 and got all of the above fitted. Needless to say, these were over and above satisfactory resolution of all issues previously reported.

At the end of the day, I believe this is reasonable compensation for what my sister had to go through. We are also happy that we could resolve this amicably, based on the facts I confronted them with and also because the GM and Sales Manager were very professional and genuinely interested in solving the problem.

Ultimately, all thanks must go to Team BHP and to my fellow BHPians - I merely spoke to them based on what I have learned from all of you on various threads (the GM even asked me if I was from the auto industry )!

Last edited by spindoc : 16th March 2011 at 22:21.
Old 16th March 2011, 23:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Awesome. That is what I call a good deal at the end of the day. Sure beats wasting office leaves to fight court cases or seeing your car wither away in a TML godown while the case drags!!

kudos man. Best of a useless situation!!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2011, 23:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Done deal!

Quote:
Tata genuine Alloys (Set of 4)
Please post a picture of the car with the alloys. I never paid attention to that. Nano comes with alloys. Super Cool.

And its a good thing that you settled it and moved on.
Courts would have consumed your time, efforts and money without any tangible returns.

Last edited by download2live : 16th March 2011 at 23:29.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks