Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 10:00   #1
BHPian

Skoda A.S.S - Gurudev Motors

Well, I don’t have any good experience with Gurudev Motors to share like most of the Skoda customers. But I had so many bad experiences in the past 2.5 years. They are completely unprofessional and never felt sorry for their mistakes. I feel one of the reasons is because of their monopoly in Chennai.
Recently I left my car for the 4th paid service (@45,000 KMs in Odo) at their Vadapalani workshop. It’s mainly a body shop, but I felt this workshop is better than their other two because at least the service advisors talk nicely here.
Without any surprises they did the same Skoda/Gurudev job. I asked them to fix the following
Rear power window didn’t work
Greasing the doors
Changing the timing belt – They suggested after checking
Finally water wash
When I came next day evening to pickup my car, power window wasn’t fixed, they tried to fix it and after few minutes they simply said the parts aren’t available. They haven’t done the greasing part, cleverly said they will do it after water wash. But they changed the belt.
Finally I left the place at around 7 PM. The next day morning I saw they haven’t washed the platform section properly and water mark was there all over the car.
Two days later, when was returning from the office, I heard some ‘tak… tak’ some. After some inspection I found that the timing belt was damaged a loose thread was hanging. Almost half of the belt (breadth wise) was scrapped off. I bought a hacksaw blade and cut the loose thread and returned back home.
Called the workshop next day but they refused to take the car without any appointment. After some heated argument they agreed to fix it the next day. They replaced the belt and it looked like some loose clamp inside had scrapped the belt. But even at that time they tried to convince me telling that may be the car hit some bump because of that the clamp had bent. I really don’t know how a road bump can hit an engine part without damaging the under engine cover.
Finally I managed to get it fixed without paying anything extra.
One more worrying scene I notice is every time I visit their workshops is that I see at least one unhappy customer (excluding me). I don’t know when Skoda will learn.
MadRash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2011, 10:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda A.S.S - Gurudev Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Two days later, when was returning from the office, I heard some ‘tak… tak’ some. After some inspection I found that the timing belt was damaged a loose thread was hanging. Almost half of the belt (breadth wise) was scrapped off. I bought a hacksaw blade and cut the loose thread and returned back home.
Called the workshop next day but they refused to take the car without any appointment. After some heated argument they agreed to fix it the next day. They replaced the belt and it looked like some loose clamp inside had scrapped the belt. But even at that time they tried to convince me telling that may be the car hit some bump because of that the clamp had bent. I really don’t know how a road bump can hit an engine part without damaging the under engine cover.
Finally I managed to get it fixed without paying anything extra.
Hey,
This is really horrible.
Good that you stood your ground and forced them to fix it at their cost. You should have taken photos of their shoddy work and circulated (here as well as to Skoda). Also would help in the long run in case they make any baseless allegations like a stone hitting from the bottom damaging the clamp, etc. Did you show them that Skoda's have bad road package where entire engine bay is complete covered from beneath???

I would not worry too much about washing quality or leaving out the power window work - happens. But whatever was done, must have been done with ethics, integrity and skill.

Post the photos if you already have.
Old 6th May 2011, 20:43   #3
BHPian

Ouch! That's real bad, touchwood I have not faced any problems with them so far and I have been with them for more than six years now. They went as far as repairing my front leather seats from Stanely even after the warranty period was over in my old Octavia.

I think the problem they are currently facing is that they have new not properly trained service advicers who are only used to speaking to drivers.

Please speak to Mr.Sunil at their new Guindy workshop, his A.S.S. was the reason I bought the Laura after the I sold the Octavia. I am sure he will be able to help you as he is the Service Manager there.
Old 19th May 2011, 23:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

One of my relatives wanted to open a Skoda A.S.S in Chennai and he approached them with all the dealership formalities. Skoda bluntly refused stating that Gurudev Motors will be the sole A.S.S for Chennai. Goes on to show Skoda isn't interested in breaking the monopoly of Gurudev Motors.
Old 25th September 2011, 00:53   #5
BHPian

Hey guys,

Just gave my Laura for 3rd service to Gurudev Motors Guindy workshop.

They took 2 days to service it as I also asked for interior cleaning. When I went to pick my car up, only the driver seat was covered by paper anyways that did not deter me as I first thought it would be because they did not want the driver to dirty the car, later upon thorough inspection and removing the paper cover did I notice that the leather in the seat was peeling off; needless to say the shock I faced. I then came to know that the cleaner, a very shabby unprofessional looking guy, had used thinner to remove a black stain on the seat. I picked up on that and left the car there itself and asked them to replace the leather for the entire seat and then call me.

I spoke to Mr. Sunil from workshop and told him my dilemma, he understood and apologized, and one week later they gave me a new set of leather for the front seat. Luckily I knew Mr. Sunil from before as this is my second Skoda, first being the Octavia.

Kudos to Skoda Gurudev to admit there mistake and rectify it without much fuss.

The other problem apart from the interior cleaning was that the service interval had not been reset on the trip computer and the time had been reset; have to go again to rectify those.

Overall their service needs some major makeover.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 13:41   #6
VKM
BHPian

I get my Laura serviced at Arumbakkam.
  • 1st service was ok.
  • 2nd time, they flicked the diesel tank cap and replaced with an older car's cap.
  • next time they broke the knob in the bonnet and have used adhesive to join it.
  • next time my 12v socket is damaged.
  • the last time 2 weeks back they had flicked my battery and connected a very old battery(i should have checked the bonnet, my fault ) imagine my shock when i started the car on a Monday morning to go to work and it won't start and to see a old damaged battery in place of my new one. rang up for assistance at 10a.m and they came with a replacement at 1p.m.
Old 27th September 2011, 16:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a shocker, I have never been able to understand the strategy of skoda, why such a big city like chennai has only one dealer for both sales and service? Even VW which entered recently, has 2 dealers in chennai, it atleast gives us an alternate option.

By the way - the battery serial number should be available in your owner manual/service records right? Did you try checking it and escalating it with the service center? God only knows what other parts were changed without our knowledge by these cheats.

Unless you verify the serial number of battery everytime post the service, it is pretty difficult to find out if these guys have changed battery or not. Sad state of affairs this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
the last time 2 weeks back they had flicked my battery and connected a very old battery(i should have checked the bonnet, my fault ) imagine my shock when i started the car on a Monday morning to go to work and it won't start and to see a old damaged battery in place of my new one. rang up for assistance at 10a.m and they came with a replacement at 1p.m.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:10   #8
VKM
BHPian

[quote=bala80;2521974]This is a shocker, I have never been able to understand the strategy of skoda, why such a big city like chennai has only one dealer for both sales and service? Even VW which entered recently, has 2 dealers in chennai, it atleast gives us an alternate option.
Exactly, been hearing rumors that people who have been trying to get a dealership are being denied by skoda, it seems they are willing to give After sales service alone (without dealership) that too either in kanchipuram or Tiruvallur but not inside chennai.

By the way - the battery serial number should be available in your owner manual/service records right? Did you try checking it and escalating it with the service center?
i was able to prove my claim and got back my battery but only after too much of raised blood pressure.

God only knows what other parts were changed without our knowledge by these cheats.

Exactly! we might only know about 10% of whats happening with our car.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:22   #9
BHPian

Dear friends, My dad is planning to go for the superb automatic.Is it worth the buck considering the after sales treatement of gurudev motors or is the volkswagen passat a better deal? Please advice me on this.I stay in chennai and currently use a laura L&k purchased at gurudev motors.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charan23 View Post
Dear friends, My dad is planning to go for the superb automatic.Is it worth the buck considering the after sales treatement of gurudev motors or is the volkswagen passat a better deal? Please advice me on this.I stay in chennai and currently use a laura L&k purchased at gurudev motors.

The Superb 1.8 TSI with the 7 speed DSG has been reported with many mechatronic failures on the forum. Skoda claims to have fixed the bug in recent cars. But still I feel it is a gamble and hence would advise you to stay away from this one. The 6 speed DSG on the Diesel Superb seems to be far more reliable.

The Superb is much better value when compared to the Passat which is very much on the pricey side. For that much money you could get the entry level BMW 3 series. Of course if you are looking for back seat comfort then the 3 series makes no sense.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 13:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
I get my Laura serviced at Arumbakkam.
  • 1st service was ok.
  • 2nd time, they flicked the diesel tank cap and replaced with an older car's cap.
  • next time they broke the knob in the bonnet and have used adhesive to join it.
  • next time my 12v socket is damaged.
  • the last time 2 weeks back they had flicked my battery and connected a very old battery(i should have checked the bonnet, my fault ) imagine my shock when i started the car on a Monday morning to go to work and it won't start and to see a old damaged battery in place of my new one. rang up for assistance at 10a.m and they came with a replacement at 1p.m.
Arumbakkam A.s.s has very low quality of engineers who dont keep in tuch with the customers at all regarding the car.personal experience.Is anyone else going to come in place of gurudev anytime soon??
Old 13th October 2011, 13:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Ouch! That's real bad, touchwood I have not faced any problems with them so far and I have been with them for more than six years now. They went as far as repairing my front leather seats from Stanely even after the warranty period was over in my old Octavia.

I think the problem they are currently facing is that they have new not properly trained service advicers who are only used to speaking to drivers.

Please speak to Mr.Sunil at their new Guindy workshop, his A.S.S. was the reason I bought the Laura after the I sold the Octavia. I am sure he will be able to help you as he is the Service Manager there.
As you pointed out correctly,their service advisors are hopeless and do not communicate with the customers.Where exactly is this place in guindy? Ill try it out the next time.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
As you pointed out correctly,their service advisors are hopeless and do not communicate with the customers.Where exactly is this place in guindy? Ill try it out the next time.
I agree, that is why I aways go straight to the Head of the service advisor.
This place is in the guindy industrial estate area; it is bang opposite MPL Ford Service centre and adjacent to Khivraj Motors Maruti; you can call up and ask them for more detailed directions.

It feels like Deja-vu, they have some-how managed to spoil my front drivers seat again in my Laura. 1st time it was my old Octavia and now my Laura ; apparantly the guy cleaning it was trying to remove some stain from the seat, and he used thinner to remove it . Needless to say the leather peeled straight off. Luckily I had managed to over hear the talk between the cleaner and the service advisor (they thought I would not understand Tamil, me being a Surd) and pounced on them, a week later and they have replaced the entire seat with new leather and now it looks good as new.

Gave my car for interior cleaning to them because I thought they would do a professional job. Will never again give my Skoda for interior cleaning again to Gurudev, it should be better outside and cheaper as well.
Old 15th October 2011, 05:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I have a Fabia and had a horrible experience with Guindy, they took 12.5 days to re-rectify the error they committed in fixing a simple lower arm bush. The service levels of Skoda is pathetic and I have been experiencing this for the last 4 years. No point harping Skoda is a great car when service is a MEGA headache. May be this would suit people with a fleet of cards. Not sure.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:03   #15
BHPian

This thread is worrying me a lot. I have booked a TDi Trendline vento but I am planning to book a Rapid Ambience (since it has ABS). Have been in touch with Arumbakkam showroom. They are promising delivery by the last week of this month but registration will happen only by Dec 10-15. I am just wondering if I should go by their words on this. Also, the A.S.S experiences that have been discussed here is a sure cause for concern.

Am I better off sticking with the Vento (through Sundaram) ?

Most Viewed