Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 16:56   #16
BHPian

re: Left Toyota Fortuner for a service, MP3 player missing!

So far not a single bad incident (touchwood) although I have serviced my car(s) at many locations across states though. One common thing perhaps would be they all are MASS. And that I have tbhp sticker so the dealerships do recognise it and make sure its not harmed in any way.
Cant say anything so far about the Ford as the first service hasnt come up yet.

Another common finding has been, mostly we tend to forget things somewhere (mostly home) most frequented places and then start blaming the dealerships. A friend had forgotten his bluetooth piece (quite an expensive one and gifted by a dear one), post servicing his Ritz he complained to the company, went all the way upto consumer forum and later on (precisely a week) realized that he had forgotten it at home only.

Only word of caution would be, please dont be so negligent towards your belongings.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:04   #17
BHPian

I had taken the delivery of Indica Vista from Concorde Motors, Diary Circle. For my belief, the seat belt was improper, could not be pulled. The very next day I gave them the car for proper PD check. For my surprise what I got was an additional blow, the driver side headlamp was fully focussing down. When I asked the Manager, he replied on phone that they have got the orders from RTO, they have to bend the focus low on the driver side. Later during the first service, I found the screw adjustment of the headlamp was broken. I got the whole head lamp assembly replaced.

Several customers say that the parts of the vehicles are exchanged/adjusted to other customers during the service. This is pure mis-management.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Cheap robbery:
I lost my jack kit ( Is it that much worth stealing, The answer is yes as far the service people at Rns is concerned) It was of my previous car M 800 at RNS motors, Yeswanthpur, Bangalore. The service advisor never and ever admitted this and infact i had to buy it by shelling out 450 Rs.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Missed this important event in my last post.
One of my brother's friend used to keep a copy of Driving License (Laminated color photocopy) along with RC copy in the glove box. He kept a few recent passport size photographs along with it (those were supposed to be submitted to someone the next day), left his santro for service (I don't want to reveal the name of A$s)

4 months later got a call from Airtel (He is using Airtel Post Paid connection) stating that one of the number on his name is for due for past one month and the billed amount is Rs.34xx/-. He is shocked as he has only one post paid connection that too he paid every bill in time. He tried to call that number, but it was switched off.
Fortunately one of his known person was working with Airtel and through him verified the documents submitted for taking the connection and from the details of outgoing calls made from that number the culprit was traced out and shocked to know that he workd with that Hyundai A$s and stolen the ID proof and photo from his car when during the service.

Showroom owner was a family friend of my brother's friend. so not taken up this issue legally. The culprit was thrown out of the job.

Please do not keep such documents in the car during service.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
I had taken the delivery of Indica Vista from Concorde Motors, Diary Circle. For my belief, the seat belt was improper, could not be pulled. The very next day I gave them the car for proper PD check. For my surprise what I got was an additional blow, the driver side headlamp was fully focussing down. When I asked the Manager, he replied on phone that they have got the orders from RTO, they have to bend the focus low on the driver side. Later during the first service, I found the screw adjustment of the headlamp was broken. I got the whole head lamp assembly replaced.

Several customers say that the parts of the vehicles are exchanged/adjusted to other customers during the service. This is pure mis-management.
+1 to that. The idiotic Concorde people damage something or the other when they service the car. When my Manza was serviced for the first time. I could find that the plastic tray or mobile holder below the hand brake was broken + there were 3 noticeable sratches on the right side of the bonnet. When asked to the service advisor Mr. Sharma, he never admitted that.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:26   #21
BHPian

I have lost my floor mats when i left my car for service. Had 2 sets of them. But when asked, SA promptly replied "Sar you had only one set when you left for service".
Old 18th April 2011, 18:52   #22
BHPian

Hi
I have not had nay issue with either Kun hyundai or with india garage. They take inventory of the items left behind and cross check before handing over the vehicle. They hand over all the items before taking the car for service. I guess i have been lucky. Reading this thread i have realized i cant take things for granted and cross check things to be doubly sure. Cheers.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

It is the service manager's duty to ensure that no valuables are left in the car, to explicitly inspect the car for accessories, spare wheel/jack, existing damages, fuel quantity etc and to make notes on Job card, to get your signature before taking the car keys from the owner.

It is good if the owner remembers to take valuables before handing over car, but it is the service engineer's job to ensure so. I never lost anything including fuel/mileage, etc. so far. Once they forgot to keep the service booklet back in the car, but sent it to me by courier next day.

It's too much to expect the workers not to be tempted by valuables left behind in the car.
Old 19th April 2011, 07:35   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@hyaksa- I sympathise: of all the thefts, these chindi ones hurt the most. Why dealership? I leave a packet of chips for late night calls in my cubicle drawer at work and someone steals it! It just costs 10 bucks but that's not the point: I need it badly when it's late and nothing else is available and to find it missing is a real bummer.

However, it *is* your responsibility to ensure that anything of value is removed from the car before you hand it in. As the adage goes, "Trust in God but lock your car"!

I have been quite fortunate (touch wood) that both at Hyundai and Maruti, anything I leave (and I have left a LOT, from a case full of CDs to my original car papers to some misceallaneous ods and ends) s always returned to me, usually neatly packed into a plastic bag, at the end of the service. Not sure about VW though- and don't want to take the chance!
Old 19th April 2011, 08:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

That really is sad.
Once i had left some change in the slot under the dash. When i got the car back all the change was gone. I didnt bother complaining cause it was just aboit 20 rupees.
When i went in for service last month i intentionally put in a few coins in the same slot, and took a picture of the same. But this time when i got the car back the change was still there. So i smiled to myself and said well whaddya know.
This time i had a new service representitive and he asked me twice whther any valuables may still be in the car.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:33   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Left Toyota Fortuner for a service, MP3 player missing!

Sorry to say, but it's completely your fault. You might as well leave 10,000 rupees in cash the next time you give your Fortuner to a valet, and expect the same to be there when you return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyaksha View Post
have not been offered any compensation
And you shouldn't be offered any compensation either. Apologies if I'm blunt, but think of it from the Manager's perspective:

- You don't have proof of leaving the MP3 player there.

- Even if one of his staff members have stolen it, no one is going to come forth and admit it.

It's basically your word against theirs.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2011 at 14:35.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:06   #27

Thanks for the responses folks. Quick update.

After talking to the cops and to Toyota - who then spoke to Nandi Toyota. Nandi toyota offered to pay me the 50$ as a goodwill gesture.

That seems like a pretty nice gesture going by some of experiences/responses on this thread.

@GTO: Its very difficult for me to accept that the dealership assumes no responsibility in case of a theft. Sure, its my word against theirs, but if they chose to disbelieve me they've lost me and all my future spend with them. I also agree that their contract absolves them of responsibility, but I do not think it can be upheld without a limited liability clause of some kind. Also in this case 50 bucks isnt really that much, so even if their customer relations folks were nice and apologetic about the incident to begin with I would have backed off.

Somewhat related/unrelated are cases where stuff gets stolen from our hotel rooms. While almost no hotel will compensate you for the full value of the stolen item, almost any respectable hotel around the world will have an established limit on the hotel's liability in case of a theft.
Old 19th April 2011, 19:15   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry to say, but it's completely your fault. You might as well leave 10,000 rupees in cash the next time you give your Fortuner to a valet, and expect the same to be there when you return.

And you shouldn't be offered any compensation either. Apologies if I'm blunt, but think of it from the Manager's perspective:

- You don't have proof of leaving the MP3 player there.

- Even if one of his staff members have stolen it, no one is going to come forth and admit it.

It's basically your word against theirs.
GTO agreed but that's because in this case the part missing is an mp3 player. What if it was some part which is almost always in the car.

In my Alto I had the aux cable missing and almost every service I would get the car back with no wheel caps (the small black ones). When you try telling them they say it wasn't there when you gave it. After that I made them write it down in the job card whenever I would give the car.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thats news. Pretty good decision there on the dealers part.
Pay a little retain the customer.
How they did it i dont understand? It is clearly mentioned that they will not accept any responsibility for valuables left in the car. Honda even makes you sign a form which states the same.
Now i can only come up with two reasons why you were compensated(to be taken in the lighter sense)
1. You have Team-BHP stickers on your ride.
2. They know you are a Bhpian.
And they understand the power of Team-BHP, so decided not to take a chance.
Drive safe!

Most Viewed