Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 14:43   #16
BHPian

re: Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time

+1 @ SWIFTNFURIOUS ˆˆ

It is a gesture replete of any motive to gain something extra which thereby makes it NOT bribery.

Since, such a gesture comes at the end of service and is not co-related to any future service, therefore it is perfectly fine and infact starting a relationship on a right foot much like you would buy gifts/sweets for hospital staff after delivery of a child in family. I am sure they had no hand in delaying / bringing forward the delivery time there... or DID THEY?
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 14:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I feel that it is unethical for sales people to accept gifts from customers and the company should strictly instruct them not to accept any gifts from customers. This is a form of bribery and should not be encouraged.

We make a hue and cry against government clerks and babus who collect bribes for providing a better service to us. But we have no problem in tipping or gifting the sales executive in return for better service. Double standards, I say.

Rohan
In that case, it also means that when we work in office, and say if we work well, we should not get any perks/ appreciations from clients ?

Cheers,
Anup
Old 20th April 2011, 14:57   #18
J.Ravi

When I took delivery of my FIAT Linea from Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle, Bangalore, I presented the sales executive [Ghanshyam Dubey - he had quit the job later] with a Parker pen set. Of course, he was surprised, politely refused, and then, accepted it graciously after I insisted. Ghanshyam Dubey was a nice chap, who handled the delivery process to my satisfaction.

Old 20th April 2011, 15:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I beg to differ! Here we are giving them a gift when the work is done. Bribe is given to get a work done. And if this is compared to bribing, then we should not tip even the waiters / bearers in a restaurant too! Also I dont think any of the sales guys are pre wired that they will get a gift "if" they do a good job ! Its just a token of our happiness.
A govt clerk will also (ultimately ) do your work even without a bribe. That is what he is paid to do. But people pay them bribe to get a preferential service (getting the work done faster/more smoothly).

The way I see it, any money (or gift) given to a person in return for a preferential service is a bribe.

If buying a car is a token of happiness, then so is getting a driving licence, passport or gas connection. Why are we OK with tipping/gifting a sales person, but find it unethical to bribe a govt clerk/babu ?

I would even go to the extent of saying that tipping a waiter at a reastaurant is also not correct. Still most people (including me) tip the waiters because it is a relatively smaller amount and the waiters are genuinely needy as compared to sales people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Giving gifts to a salesman who has helped you own the car of your dreams, and go through the process seamlessly is a way of showing your appreciation to the gentlemen who does it soo many times in his work life. And yet there are very few who would come back and appreciate him for the work he has done.
Most members would agree that most car sales people are totally useless. They don't even have knowledge of their own products and we can't even expect them to compare their products with their competitors.

The only information we need from the sales person is price and waiting period. Everything else can be found on team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
+1 @ SWIFTNFURIOUS ˆˆ

It is a gesture replete of any motive to gain something extra which thereby makes it NOT bribery.

Since, such a gesture comes at the end of service and is not co-related to any future service, therefore it is perfectly fine and infact starting a relationship on a right foot much like you would buy gifts/sweets for hospital staff after delivery of a child in family. I am sure they had no hand in delaying / bringing forward the delivery time there... or DID THEY?
Many members have mentioned above that they have got preferential treatment at the car dealerships in return for a gift given to the sales person. I feel it is a form of bribery, though it cannot be strictly termed as bribery.

I had a friend from the medical field. His hospital had a policy that staff members were not supposed to take any gifts from the family members of the patients. I though it was the same across all hospitals. Members from medical field may kindly enlighten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
In that case, it also means that when we work in office, and say if we work well, we should not get any perks/ appreciations from clients ?
My company has a policy that staff members are not supposed to take any gifts from vendors or customers. It is believed that such gifts influence decision making and hence are considered unethical.

Performance based reward/bonus is different because it is given by the company to its employees. If Maruti/Hyundai/Tata etc gives a reward to a sales person, that is perfectly alright with me. I have a problem when a customer is giving a gift to the sales person.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 15:31   #20
BHPian

When I got the delivery of Ford Figo TDCi earlier this month, I gifted a nice after-shave to the sales-person. He was delighted by the gesture. He had been very helpful and attentive in overall process of purchase.
BTW, we had already received a pack of chocolates and Ford keychain during the customary Puja. I gifted him just before driving away from the showroom in the new car!
Old 20th April 2011, 15:34   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Rather than hunting for gifts at the last moment, I tipped the Sales rep (500 Rs) when I got my Alto Lxi.
Really? And he accepted?

Quote:
I feel that it is unethical for sales people to accept gifts from customers and the company should strictly instruct them not to accept any gifts from customers. This is a form of bribery and should not be encouraged.

We make a hue and cry against government clerks and babus who collect bribes for providing a better service to us. But we have no problem in tipping or gifting the sales executive in return for better service. Double standards, I say.

Rohan
Clearly you don't understand tipping. I've had a tough time explaining the difference between tipping/gratuity and bribery to people on another thread.
I would totally get it if the salesperson refused the gift either on principle or corporate policy. But the token gift from my side is an acknowledgment of the person's effort in adding another member to the family, so to speak (I always think of my cars as part of the family!)
To each his own. I don't think there's anything remotely unethical about the practice.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

For people who think that giving gift is a bribe, consider this case in another way. To make it simple this is just a "SHAGUN" which we give to the salesperson who was involved in the process of purchase of a car.

PS - Just like we distribute sweets/money to nurses in hospital when we have a new born baby in our family.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would definitely not give a gift. Just think if its practised widely. It would become a nuisance with everyone having a expectation.
Giving sweets is different. Its not of any monetary value for the consumer.

Last edited by srishiva : 20th April 2011 at 15:42.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 15:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Performance based reward/bonus is different because it is given by the company to its employees. If Maruti/Hyundai/Tata etc gives a reward to a sales person, that is perfectly alright with me. I have a problem when a customer is giving a gift to the sales person.

Rohan

I disagree only with your last sentence. If Gift is money then yes you are right having a problem with it. Lets say the sales guy went out of his way to help you out and did the best he could to make his customer happy. There is nothing wrong in the customer showing his appreciation with a little something. That something could range from a thank you card to a meal to maybe a small gift maybe a mug / showpiece etc. I think that is perfectly alright for a customer to show his appreciation.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:00   #25
BHPian

Good gesture is what all it comes to. I do not think it is bribe in any nature, Its appreciation of efforts taken by the sales person to deliver your car.

When I took the delivery of my car (6 years ago) I did the customary pooja at the showroom itself and distributed sweets to all of the staff (had carried additional box).

The trend has changed and I feel its for good.

( Recall there was no trend of return gifts on kid birthday parties. Nowdays its standard !)
Old 20th April 2011, 16:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

I had shown my appreciation to the Sales executive by gifting him a Big Bazaar gift voucher of Rs 500 and box of sweets apart from the box of sweets for the staff at the showroom.

The person responded back by ensuring that I got the RC book within 5 days of delivery. Did not ask him how he did that.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Rather than hunting for gifts at the last moment, I tipped the Sales rep (500 Rs) when I got my Alto Lxi.
No offences but I consider this as a very cheap degrading act. I'm even more surprised that the person took it.

The guards and other cleaning staff expect you to tip them while taking delivery. But not the Sales Person. A gift in kind or non-monetary form is given to express your joy in getting the vehicle and its a token through which you are also trying to share the joy with him/her.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 18:38   #28
BHPian

Isn't variable pay becoming part of life now?

Rather than gifting a sales rep and share your joy, his commission on the sale should have a percentage based on the feedback that you give post the purchase? That is adequate motivation for the sales rep to perform consistently to get maximum buck.

Since customer is not paying directly from pocket, the feedback would be (and should be!) truthful.

Distributing sweets and other kind has become a de-facto standard at most joyous occasions.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 18:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my Figo, I did not give the sales person a gift per se.
On the day of delivery, someone clicked a photo of the car, my wife, me, and the sales person.
I got the photo printed, and mailed it to the sales person with a "Thank You" note.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 19:18   #30
BHPian

I gave a Parker Pen too to my Sales Persons. Since it was her first job and also her very first sale, she was real happy. I gave it after the Pooja and she was immensely gratified.

Sales persons are human too. They are brainwashed into selling at any cost to the customer. So when you give a gift out of genuine care, it kind of brings back the human within them. Come on - everyone likes a gift every now and then.

That reminds me - I could extend this concept to all the people who work for me. Simple gifts really go a long way.
Brix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks