Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 22:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time

I got my i20 ASTA day before yesterday. I went the 'Parker pen' way. The SP was really happy and what shocked us was after receiving the gift he humbly touched my mom's and dad's feet. He's a very nice chap. He was very happy receiving the nice metal finish Parker although there were moments in the buying process when I wanted to But considering that he is new to this car industry decided to leave the bad times behind and move on. At the end of it all I am HAPPY.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:33   #62
BHPian

I took my sales executive (a lady) at Peninsular Honda, Cochin,aside and asked her frankly ("What is the etiquette?Is it ok to offer you something?" she said "Well,please offer some tips to the boys who performed the pre-delivery checks.Other staff don't accept anything." I thanked her and payed the boys Rs.1000/-
Old 6th June 2011, 23:12   #63
BHPian

my gift was at a different level.

Well as the title of me reply says it, "my gift was at a different level".I'll try to describe the happening which led to my "gift".

When I was supposed to buy my first ever car I had done a complete research with my dad about the Safari with regards to technical specs, price etc. even before visiting the showroom itself.Well so the showroom was very close to my college so I had gone alone to book the car.I had reached the showroom at around 3 in the afternoon after my classes so all the Sales attendants were either dozing or were busy chatting among themselves. I was checking out all the cars by myself as nobody was bothered to interact (thinking that I was just a college kid in the typical attire) Well this girl sales attendant showed some interest when I was checking out the Safari. She didnt know much and kept on running to her other SA's for the queries I asked. Once I was ready to book I asked her how much would be the booking amount. Another arrogant SA gave me the amount thinking high of himself. What they didnt realize I had the cheque book in my bag and when I made out a cheque and handed it to the girl SA for the Safari VX, you had to see the face of every SA sitting in that showroom.

Well when the Delivery day came this same girl was there for delivery.Well the delivery happened very late in the evening so I had offered to drop the girl to her home which was on the way to my place.Well what I came to know during the drive was that the girl had recently joined the showroom just about a week back and was on probation/sales commission basis and my car was her first sale and because of this she got a permanent job immediately.
richie4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 23:30   #64
BHPian

1) showroom: Concorde dairy circle.

2) experience: amazing! a brand new feb 2011 car was delivered within 4 days and all accessories fitted Per my specification, i had wanted white reverse parking sensors and the agent sourced me exactly that.

3) gift : Johnny walker red label. He used to drink vodka, told him to acquire taste for finer things and take the first step by opening what I had given.

4) gift 2: when received call from j d power Asia or something like that, made sure I mentioned his name about 12 times, though I have to say the agent seemed least bit interested to know more about what the agent was doing right.
vshetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 23:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Re: my gift was at a different level.

@richie4u

When i booked my Nano, i was the second confirmed customer for the girl who was a newbie just like your SA.

I gifted a huge choclate box and since she was a newbie advised her to check TEAM BHP.
Old 6th June 2011, 23:57   #66
BHPian

Honestly it is a bad practice.
TIPS/ Gifts are Another form of corruption.

Sales guys job is to sell anything including cars. His commission on each deal is his ethical incentive/motivator.
harimakesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 07:27   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
I took my sales executive (a lady) at Peninsular Honda, Cochin,aside and asked her frankly ("What is the etiquette?Is it ok to offer you something?" she said "Well,please offer some tips to the boys who performed the pre-delivery checks.Other staff don't accept anything." I thanked her and payed the boys Rs.1000/-
1000/-!!! The whole idea of a gift is to show token of your appreciation on your special day and to leave a pleasant mood in your wake. With people doling out 1K notes, no wonder some of these guys DEMAND baksheesh! Not done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Well what I came to know during the drive was that the girl had recently joined the showroom just about a week back and was on probation/sales commission basis and my car was her first sale and because of this she got a permanent job immediately.
My SR was the same- she'd just got promoted from the back office to the field and I was among her first customers. I ensured I gave feedback both verbal and written that she was way better than the so-called seasoned salespersons around who it seemed to me were only interested in throwing their weight around and acting snobbish (the whole "German car" thing). The good news is she is a full-fledged SR now.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:11   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
1000/-!!! The whole idea of a gift is to show token of your appreciation on your special day and to leave a pleasant mood in your wake. With people doling out 1K notes, no wonder some of these guys DEMAND baksheesh! Not done.
noopster,pl don't take offense.As you correctly mentioned I was thoroughly pleased and what I did was the token of my appreciation.

Taking over my ANHC from Peninsular Honda,Cochin was a great experience.The service was mind blowing.They made us feel at the top of the world.My wife could not hold back her tears when they requested her to ring the bell if she liked the services.Is it wrong to reciprocate when you are treated well?No one demanded anything-the sales person even politely declined my offer.

I will post the dealer experiences in due course.

Love,charthom
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 15:55   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Honestly it is a bad practice.
TIPS/ Gifts are Another form of corruption.
I beg to differ on this, its just a way to thank someone for making one's life a bit more smoother and headache free. Giving cash to the SA is big no no but small gifts do make a difference in everybody's life. We all need appreciation for our work from time to time, dont we.
Old 11th June 2011, 01:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

I took a 1kg box of kaju barfi for the saleswoman, and another box for the rest of the staff at the dealership

They always return the calls (did so earlier than the gift also) promptly and help as much as they can so I thought this was the least I could do.
Old 11th June 2011, 12:20   #71
BHPian

You guys are rubbing me on the wrong side (emotionally!!). I bought my Alto in 2008 and that was my first car and I did not know much about stuff like these. Even I did not (should I say "do not") know much about cars too. My friend said he is going to book a Alto. I asked my parents to go for a car - after much delibrations, they said yes. So, me and my friend booked each of us an Alto (both silky silver).

The SP (Mr.Purushothaman, Khivraj Motors, Mount Road, Chennai) was really helpful through out and I did not land up in any issues. However, I felt awkward to ask him if I can gift him something and left it as it is. I should have gifted him something without asking him at all. I really feel bad about it now!!

And guys, don't compare gifting with bribing. You are happy with the service offered and as a token of appreciation, you gift the SP. And secondly, the SP does not work for you expecting your gift. My case is a typical example for this - the SP did a fantastic job - no hassles at all for me even when I changed the colour from Wine Red to Silver, had all the accessories that I asked for fitted and the car was ready when I went to take the delivery- but then the stupid me didn't gift him anything!
Old 11th June 2011, 12:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I should have gifted him something without asking him at all. I really feel bad about it now!!
No need to feel so bad about that, afterall you were the first timer. When I had brought my first car M-800 and my second car Santro even I did not knew of these formalities. The joy of taking the car delivery was so over my mind that I had forgotten this aspect. It was when I took the delivery of Fiesta I had gifted the SA. I came to know this appreciation thing only on T-BHP.
Old 11th June 2011, 13:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The SP (Mr.Purushothaman, Khivraj Motors, Mount Road, Chennai) was really helpful through out and I did not land up in any issues. However, I felt awkward to ask him if I can gift him something and left it as it is. I should have gifted him something without asking him at all. I really feel bad about it now!!
It is a nice gesture, but that doesn't mean you have to do it. Much less regret not doing it later.

If you are feeling so bad, may be next time someone you know is interested in buying a car take them to this SP.

Quote:

And guys, don't compare gifting with bribing. You are happy with the service offered and as a token of appreciation, you gift the SP. And secondly, the SP does not work for you expecting your gift. My case is a typical example for this - the SP did a fantastic job - no hassles at all for me even when I changed the colour from Wine Red to Silver, had all the accessories that I asked for fitted and the car was ready when I went to take the delivery- but then the stupid me didn't gift him anything!
Old 11th June 2011, 14:05   #74
MK3
BHPian

In my case, i knew he is expecting a child soon, so, gifted him a photo frame from Archies, in which we can keep one photo for everymonth of the child after birth. He was indeed very happy.
Old 11th June 2011, 14:10   #75
MK3
BHPian

When i purchased Skoda Fabia HTP recently from Tafe Access, Bangalore, Mr. Shivanand, the sales person, was very helpful throughout, from test drives to delivery and even with accessory fitment. And, i knew he is expecting a baby soon, so, gifted him a photo frame from Archies(the one which contains 12 small photo space, to record one photo for every month after birth). He was indeed very happy.

Most Viewed