Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 21:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time

Folks,

When we analyse or decide to buy a car, we interact a lot with the sales person in the showroom who helps us with lot of information. It is considered as a good gesture to gift the sales man while taking delivery of a new car.

What gift you gave to sales man at the time of new car delivery?

Please share your experiences & thoughts about...
1) Any interesting experiences (good/bad) at delivery time,
2) Surprises
3) What kind/type of gifts you gave which impressed sales people etc

-Ravi
Old 19th April 2011, 21:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time

For my last 3 cars, I have always gifted a nice Parker pen to the Sales Executive as a token of goodwill from my end.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2011, 21:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
For my last 3 cars, I have always gifted a nice Parker pen to the Sales Executive as a token of goodwill from my end.

Cheers
That it exactly what I did during my i10 delivery. But the pen was of Pierre Cardin though.
The chivalric guy gave me a Hyundai cricket ball as a return gift too!

I could have gifted him something better, but due to unforseen circumstances, I had time only to rush to the gift store.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2011, 22:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

We gifted a pair of nice T-Shirt and a sweet box while taking delivery of our first car, Alto and during the delivery of Wagon-R a decent sun glass, knowing the executive drives 2 wheeler (the same person who gave delivery of alto)
Old 19th April 2011, 22:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a co-incidence! We too gave a Parker pen to the salesperson while taking delivery of ANHC. He also gave us a gift package which consists of a table clock, a card holder, a Honda key chain and a pen all with Honda label.
In general people expect salesperson to give them gifts while taking the delivery of car instead of doing reverse.
Old 19th April 2011, 22:56   #6
BANNED

Although I was not exactly too happy with my sales man about the sales bit, I gifted him anyways. He went missing for a fortnight around the time I was to take delivery, because he was to become a Father. So I got some newborn clothing stuff for his child.

HTH
Old 19th April 2011, 23:01   #7
BANNED

Hi ! I gifted my sales person one nice blue silk tie. Also got another two for my loan executive and manager . The sales person was damn thrilled and even today I get VIP treatment in bank and MASS.
Old 20th April 2011, 06:19   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i think it is a decent thing to do. especially if the sales person has been of good service.
a nice shirt, pen, or gift voucher of reasonable value etc could be the ideal gift. of course it depends on the budget outlay one wishes to commit to.
there's no right and wrong in terms of the value of the gift. it is the thought that counts and for the most part that is appreciated more than anything else.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:15   #9
BHPian

I recently bought a Mahindra vehicle and Jaswinder Singh the Sales Executive was very helpful throughout. When I went to take the delivery of the vehicle, I gifted a Cross Fountain Pen to him.
I hope he liked the gift. I think it is a very sweet gesture by the buyer to show a token of respect to the SE at car dealerships. Most of the SE's are a harassed lot as it is.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread! You should convert it to a poll for more quantifiable results!

By the way I have an issue with the thread title: it should read Gift for Sales Person at Delivery Time. Not to be PC or anything- just that my own SR was a woman and I ended up gifting her a box of Celebrations chocolates. Have heard that some of these are trained not to accept anything expensive or non-perishable. She was quite pleasantly surprised and according to my wife blushed a little while accepting it
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 09:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Rather than hunting for gifts at the last moment, I tipped the Sales rep (500 Rs) when I got my Alto Lxi.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:46   #12
BHPian

When i took my punto delivery, i gifted a nice imported perfume, inturn i got the custom chocolate shaped bag of chocolates.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I feel that it is unethical for sales people to accept gifts from customers and the company should strictly instruct them not to accept any gifts from customers. This is a form of bribery and should not be encouraged.

We make a hue and cry against government clerks and babus who collect bribes for providing a better service to us. But we have no problem in tipping or gifting the sales executive in return for better service. Double standards, I say.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 14:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I feel that it is unethical for sales people to accept gifts from customers and the company should strictly instruct them not to accept any gifts from customers. This is a form of bribery and should not be encouraged.

We make a hue and cry against government clerks and babus who collect bribes for providing a better service to us. But we have no problem in tipping or gifting the sales executive in return for better service. Double standards, I say.

Rohan
I beg to differ! Here we are giving them a gift when the work is done. Bribe is given to get a work done. And if this is compared to bribing, then we should not tip even the waiters / bearers in a restaurant too! Also I dont think any of the sales guys are pre wired that they will get a gift "if" they do a good job ! Its just a token of our happiness.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 14:42   #15
BHPian

Giving gifts to a salesman who has helped you own the car of your dreams, and go through the process seamlessly is a way of showing your appreciation to the gentlemen who does it soo many times in his work life. And yet there are very few who would come back and appreciate him for the work he has done.

I presented the gentlemen with a nice parker pen and he was ecstatic to say the least to see a token of appreciation from my end. I could see he felt a bit of pride that he did a good job but more in a suttle way.

I am happy I could make a difference to his day with a smile when he helped me drive off with my dream car (for the time being).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks