Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Car Transportation without Insurance...Big Mistake?

Hello friends,
I need some urgent help here.My good friend had booked a Swift Dzire Vxi for transportation from Gurgaon to Goa, where he is presently working. His brother in law at Gurgaon had booked the vehicle with Fast Track Packers and Movers for the transportation on 2 Nov 13. The transport was further sub contracted to Tridev Car Carriers, Near Katari Chowk, Gurgaon. The vehicle has still not reached him in Goa and the transporter is giving vague reasons and not clearly indicating when the vehicle would be delivered. Today we did some research on the internet regarding this company and found a number of complaints against it in a number of forums. Some people have not received their house hold goods and some people have lost many of their car parts like tyres and music systems. His vehicle is a brand new car and all of us are worried about its fate.The vehcile has been covered with comprehensive insurance. But what should his next course of action be so that he can recover his vehicle?
Old 18th November 2013, 17:22   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, when someone opens a new thread, he/ she should update it with the subsequent events so that the thread can attain the purpose: of knowledge sharing based on experience of other members.

For eg. after reading this thread, I could not make out if the OP's car reached the destination safely or was damaged in the transit, which was about 2 years ago. Also, it would have been nice to read his experiences like the fee, damages if any & subsequent insurance claims, any problems that might have cropped up after the transit, etc. Also, this basic courtesy, we all would appreciate.

@SandeepC83: This is a big problem associated with smaller carriers/ movers. My Brother in law's house hold goods were delivered well after 14-15 days of the promised day of delivery and this was curtains to all this 'organized' plans to move from one city to another. IMO, you should insist to find out the exact location of the carrier vehicle and demand the reason for delay. I don't think that a lot can go wrong (read: stealing of the car), but one should rule out the possibility of the carrier being involved in a mishap (not to frighten you). If the carrier office refuses to share any information with you on these aspects, then we should think of taking the case ahead.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 20:52   #18
BHPian

@Saket77.Thanks for the prompt reply. The car was finally delivered to my friend today evening. We were in a fit of rage while taking the delivery. But there was nothing we could do to calm our tempers because the person who delivered the vehicle to us was a local Goan who himself had received the vehicle today from the carrier truck. He was clueless himself regarding the delay. Anyways, the vehicle was received in good condition. Nothing has been tampered with thankfully. Normally, we wouldnt have panicked so early about this. But the complaints on the consumer forums about the same transporter got us worried.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepc83 View Post
@Saket77.Thanks for the prompt reply. The car was finally delivered to my friend today evening.
Well, all we should now think of is that 'all's well that ends well'! Glad that the car was received in perfect condition. Enjoy the place.

Regards,
Saket
Old 12th December 2013, 20:41   #20
BHPian

I suggest one should always go for a reputed transporter. What actually happened in this case was multiple transporters working on one consignment. The very first co. You approached might not necessarily own a fleet. He is just one guy with a shop and giving deals to other companies on commission basis. Then the second co. Which finally loaded the car was taking another consignment to say Ahemdabad from there after a day or two your friends car was loaded in another truck to say Mumbai and finally a third guy delivering it in Goa. I managed to send a double bed, 7 seater sofa, centre table, cupboard, centre table and a dining table to Goa for my cottage in anju a for a meagre 4k as there was a truck from panjim which had bought someone's household stuff to Delhi and was going vacant so I through my connection managed to crack this deal. It is a big Mafia....so in future pls. Take a confirmation if it is a point to point delivery or is going to happen in bits and pieces.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

I just wanted to bump this thread as I had the following questions:

1. I have 0 dep bumper to bumper comprehensive cover for my car, do I need any additional insurance if I move my vehicle between states?

2. Which is the best packers and movers for car in Bangalore?

Thanks.

Last edited by aseem : 1st December 2014 at 16:46.
Old 13th September 2017, 11:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys can someone confirm if the Comprehensive Insurance will cover transit damage? My GV was being transported and just now the DHL guys called up to say that the carrier has toppled. Am awaiting further news and updates regarding the extent of damage.
Old 13th September 2017, 11:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys can someone confirm if the Comprehensive Insurance will cover transit damage? My GV was being transported and just now the DHL guys called up to say that the carrier has toppled. Am awaiting further news and updates regarding the extent of damage.
It is covered; I'd checked with my insurance provider while transporting my car from Delhi to Bangalore (but this was in 2009).

In fact, the movers (Agarwal) mentioned they don't provide insurance and won't be liable for any damage during transit because the car anyway has an insurance policy.

How to get your insurance to pay for this though; I suggest you call them up immediately so the movers can arrange for the documentation/FIR of accident.
Old 13th September 2017, 11:35   #24
BHPian

Came across this article in TOI where the car was stolen during transit in 2014 and the insurance company rejected the claim, when a complaint was filed, the packers and movers were held responsible and made to pay. The car owner had to wait for 31 months for the compensation.

Quote:
KR Puram resident Suresh's Car was stolen during transit from parked location after unloading in Mumbai.

Police investigation found the key was carelessly kept at the freight agency's unlocked office room, making it easy for the thief to drive away with the vehicle.

Suresh approached Bajaj Allianz General Insurance in Koramangala for an insurance claim for the lost hatchback. But the claim was declined on the grounds that negligence on the part of the freight agency in handling the car key led to the theft.

With the insurance firm rejecting his claim and the packers and movers failing to own responsibility, Suresh approached the 3rd Additional Bengaluru Urban District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum on December 15, 2014 with a complaint against the two and sought compensation.

After a litigation lasting 31 months, the consumer court recently ruled in favour of Suresh by ordering Plan Packers and Movers to pay the price of the lost car (Rs 5,58,508) with interest at 18% per annum from the day it was stolen. The judge further ordered the firm to pay Rs 50,000 to the complainant for causing mental agony and Rs 5,000 for court expenses. The complaint against Bajaj Insurance was dismissed.
Link to TOI news: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60485772.cms
Old 13th September 2017, 11:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It is covered; I'd checked with my insurance provider while transporting my car from Delhi to Bangalore (but this was in 2009).
I fail to understand one thing is why should the Insured put forward the claim when ideally the fault (or not) is of the transporter. Shouldn't the transporter pay up the same through the TPL process. Why should the Insured lose his NCB for some one's fault.
Old 13th September 2017, 13:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Finally heard from the transporter. It says the carrier toppled due to a cave in of the shoulder between Kishangarh and Jaipur. As of now they have righted the truck and it has resumed its journey. He says he will provide a copy of the survey report, FIR, Drivers License, his transportation permit. Anything else that I need to take from him? Further am leaving tonight to meet the carrier when it reaches Gurgaon tomorrow morning.
Old 13th September 2017, 13:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally heard from the transporter. It says the carrier toppled due to a cave in of the shoulder between Kishangarh and Jaipur. As of now they have righted the truck and it has resumed its journey. He says he will provide a copy of the survey report, FIR, Drivers License, his transportation permit. Anything else that I need to take from him? Further am leaving tonight to meet the carrier when it reaches Gurgaon tomorrow morning.
Call your insurance issuer and ask what they need.

Once this issue blows over, the transporter might not seem to have the time to serve your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I fail to understand one thing is why should the Insured put forward the claim when ideally the fault (or not) is of the transporter. Shouldn't the transporter pay up the same through the TPL process. Why should the Insured lose his NCB for some one's fault.
Isn't that how insurance works in India.

When you get into an accident, even if it is clearly the other person's fault, how often do you get that person to pay for loss of NCB, leave alone paying completely for damage.

A friend recently got into an accident (got t-boned by someone in an intersection who did not follow right-of-way). Went to the cops, he did not know/acknowledge the concept of right-of-way and asked this friend what the big deal was since she has insurance, that she should just claim damage from her policy. About loss of NCB, he didn't bother.

Unless the guilty party has a moral conscience or the affected party has the ways and means to get reimbursed, you end up losing.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th September 2017 at 13:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks