Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 17:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Silly, arduous new procedure for Maruti Insurance renewals

Renewing Maruti Insurance is not as simple as earlier, of late. One cannot walk into a dealership and take the policy in one go. Sure it can be ordered by dialing but needs pre-approval. A confirmatory approval from some call centre guy sitting on a pan India basis is now essential.
It took me two days to get the policyrenewed. First the dealer's executive flooded me with a host of questions like nominees bio-data address confirmation et al over telephone. I was in for more surprise as I got a call later on from a lady who introduced herself as from Maruti Insurance and on query informed that she is from Maruti Insurance Central Call Centre located at Vizag. She needed a lot of information and was more probing than the earlier one from the dealer. What I could gather was that she was all at sea on specific queries about automobile Insurance.

After about four hours, a gentleman called and introduced himself as a Supervisor from Central Maruti Insurance and every thing was repeated like a replay. I asked him why Maruti is subjecting its customers to such an ordeal and he said that the procedure has been made mandatory from last month.
Maruti Insurance is definitely going to lose many a customers if the entire procedure is not streamlined and the unfriendly cog removed.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th December 2012 at 18:02.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 18:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Silly, arduous new procedure for Maruti Insurance renewals

Why take all that trouble while you could renew your insurance online just at the click of a button?
Old 4th December 2012, 21:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Silly, arduous new procedure for Maruti Insurance renewals

I got my insurance renewed in October end, and it was the same process. Its not that big a deal man.

10 mins of time for cashless peace of mind every year is okay. But yes, the process is stupid.

In 2009, I remember waking up in the nick of time and renewing it at 11:48pm online. No chance of doing that in this process.

dealers give 3-5% discount!

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th December 2012 at 03:34. Reason: No sms/chat lingo allowed, thanks
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 16:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Silly, arduous new procedure for Maruti Insurance renewals

Why doesn't Maruti insurance have online Insurance process renewal like other Insurers have. Saves the customer form repeating like a parrot for every call from Insurance co. Does Maruti does not revive the entire data based on the policy number during the renewal. If not why so? Why this hassle of routing the renewals thriugh call centres, ideally if the info is readily available then the dealer can themselves carry the renewal process.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:08   #5
BHPian

I got my insurance renewed yesterday. I believe the above process has been mandated by the Govt / authorities. I also think this is applicable only if you change your insurance provider.
Old 28th December 2012, 15:33   #6
BHPian

I also faced something similar. The lady from the dealership has been asking me so many questions.

Also, to purchase the policy, I will have to go to the showroom to get the policy. I wish they had an online payment option so that you dont have to go to the showroom for just purchasing.

My policy expires in Jan 2013 and the lady has been hounding me for taking the insurance now only. It is understandable that they dont want to lose customers to competition.

One thing that was confusing is that they are not willing to give me a 10% reduction on IDV. My first year IDV when I purchased the vehicle was mentioned as 3.8L and now they are setting the IDV as 3.2L. With this they say that the insurance is comprehensive (not zero dep or bumper to bumber) and the premium comes to around Rs. 7626/-

I asked them to give me policy on higher IDV after 10% deduction but she said it is not possible even if I am willing to pay the higher premium.

Now I am confused, should I go to online policy comparison methods that allow me to higher IDV or should I just go ahead with this policy?

They are also giving freebies like free wheel alignment and one round of whole vehicle checkup
Old 28th December 2012, 17:28   #7
BANNED

I think IDV table says 95%, 80% and then a 10% drop every year. This was done to stop insurers going for a high IDV (more moolah) and then trying to reduce th claim amount in case of a total loss.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 19:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering what's so special about Maruti Insurance that everyone is so glued to it.

Do they give you super big discounts?

Is it the only insurance that provides cashless facility (Highly improbable tho') at Maruti Approved Garages?

Does Maruti extend a step motherly treatment to other insurance holder?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 28th December 2012 at 19:33.
Old 11th December 2013, 15:35   #9
BHPian

Time for insurance renewal.

People who have insurance with Maruti, how do you rate them? Any claim settlement hassles?
Old 11th December 2013, 15:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would rate them as very good. I had to make two cashless claims over the past four and a half years, and it was a breeze both times.

Renewal also is easy. They start calling and nagging you a month in advance, and offer free coupons for water wash, wheel alignment and balancing etc. Their executive will visit us to collect the cheque and later deliver the policies and coupons as well. If we visit them in person, we may pay by credit card if we wish.

I also had to claim insurance through TVS Workshop for my brother's Optra a year ago. That was New India Assurance, and was a real pain.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 16:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the 8th year insurance renewed through Maruti for my WagonR in April 2013 and New Car insurance for my Ertiga last month. I must say that with the new process, it has allowed the customer to opt for the Insurance Service Provider that Maruti has a tie up with rather than the Dealership forcing you and trying to sell a particular policy.

Once you reach the dealer, your request is forwarded to the renewal/insurance office in NCR who would call you with the options that you can chose in terms of service provider.

They will then explain you the policy details, IDV and all the deductibles and take an acknowledgement from you on this and communicate you that the policy will be processed by the dealership now.

You get an Instant SMS soon after this call that the Policy is up for issuance and then the dealer hands over to you the Hard copy of the insurance.

Regarding what's so special about Maruti Insurance:

Well, nothing to go gunh-ho or boast about but it makes life easy. With so many dealers all around, you walk into any of them in your neighborhood, request for a renewal and get it done in under 30 minutes.

The fact that Maruti Insurance itself is nothing but a tie up of MSIL with various Insurance providers (National Insurance, TATA AIG, BAJAJ, Royal Sundaram, Cholamandalam etc), you know that the policy claims will be at the discretion of these service provider which is anyways the case even when you get the policy renewed from outside all by yourself. Its just that a Maruti Insurance will only make things better when it comes to claims as these providers and MSIL can't be winners & losers or otherwise.

I for one would prefer to renew both my car's policy through their dealership.

And yes, Maruti Insurance means Cashless facility at all their Authorized Service centers and that's what they heavily advertise as their USP too!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2013 at 16:34.
Old 11th December 2013, 16:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

The other advantages of going through the dealers is they can send someone to your home, collect the check, get the signature on the form. You can renew the insurance sitting at home. Also known dealers give you some freebees (Free Alignment and check up) :-).
Old 5th May 2014, 21:24   #13
BHPian

I have been trying to get a renewal quote on marutiinsurance.com for my dzire, which is turning an year old in sometime.

The website has been behaving very weird, at least for my transaction. First after filling up all the details it gives me a blank quote - No not a zero quote, I mean a blank quote template is presented without any data.

When I try again I get a error - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

It's a shame that an ecommerce site of a market leader leads to such horrible user experience.

Also spoke to customer service - not much help except promise of a call back in 24 hours.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Also this is my first insurance renewal in India - anyone with helpful suggestions most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Silly, arduous new procedure for Maruti Insurance renewals-untitled.png  

Old 25th May 2014, 07:44   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
I have been trying to get a renewal quote on marutiinsurance.com for my dzire, which is turning an year old in sometime.

The website has been behaving very weird, at least for my transaction. First after filling up all the details it gives me a blank quote - No not a zero quote, I mean a blank quote template is presented without any data.

When I try again I get a error - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

It's a shame that an ecommerce site of a market leader leads to such horrible user experience.

Also spoke to customer service - not much help except promise of a call back in 24 hours.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Also this is my first insurance renewal in India - anyone with helpful suggestions most welcome.
Had the same experience on the same week. Went to the dealer and bought a zero depreciation insurance since zero depreciation insurance is not available online.
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
I faced the same thing when trying to renew my car's insurance in April. Seems this is still in beta phase. And for now, you will be able to get only ICICI policy through this channel. Better to call up a dealer and request renewal. He will send someone over who will give you the provisional cover note, collect your cheque and the policy will arrive in a week or so by courier.

Meanwhile, just for the quote, you can check on the respective websites of cos. In my case, Maruti's quote worked out best as it was offering me the highest IDV cheapest.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed