Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:19   #16
BHPian

Re: A Unique Case of Vehicle Damage whilst Transporting a Car by Truck! Lessons learn

@ghodlur - Distance was one of the factors for not wanting to drive down. I am not someone who covers a lot of distance in one day, and due to certain exigencies I had to make the shift quickly from Gurgaon to Bangalore. While one does mentally prepare for some minor damages to happen during transit, this kind of eventuality was something I hadn't thought about at all.
Regarding premium - I transported my household goods via separate truck and the insurance cost me 3% of the declared value. I guess it would be same for the car. So for a Rs. 4 lakh car, the premium should be around Rs 12K, which is very high considering I paid Rs 10K for the standard insurance which lasts for a year, versus the marine insurance which would be valid only for the period of transit. My guess is that the transporter makes a lot of money on insurance.

@phamilyman - Yes, this is Kaloni. And who might this be ?!

@apachelongbow - I was myself educated about marine insurance only after the incident. However, such a thing does seem to exist, and it also covers shipment by modes other than sea. I guess its a generic term used in trade.
Check this link - http://newindia.co.in/Content.aspx?pageid=8
I am not expecting the transporter and insurance company to do my work for me. I am not blaming anyone here, it is a peculiar situation indeed. Just making a point that not being near the accident site is a handicap and puts me on a weak wicket. I don't want to litigate against the transporter until I have received the insurance money. There will be paperwork required for the claim and I want the transporter to continue being cooperative till that time. FIR and Panchnama has been lodged.

@mjothi - Thanks on the advice about the road tax. Yes, I have been negotiating with the insurer. They had initially offered Rs 2.5 L !

@govigov - Here are some pictures from the site. My car is the red one on the top right. You can also see the other damaged cargo.
Attached Thumbnails
A Unique Case of Vehicle Damage whilst Transporting a Car by Truck! Lessons learnt...-copy-site-photo-6.jpeg  

Malyaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:55   #17
BHPian

Re: A Unique Case of Vehicle Damage whilst Transporting a Car by Truck! Lessons learn

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss and condolences to the truck driver/cleaner.
I really appreciate the painful effort you have taken to help fellow BHPians by passing on so much of information regarding the transportation of goods. Marine time insurance is a new thing to me, and you wont believe just now a friends of mine was discussing the pros and cons of transporting his households to a different state. This is a big piece of information for him. Thanks a lot.
Old 3rd April 2013, 23:01   #18
BHPian

Really sorry to hear about your loss. Insurance claim can be painful. Govt. makes it mandatory to have an insurance on your vehicle, but does not ensure that the claim process is simple. Most insurance companies only try to wriggle their way out using one clause or the other.

I would still consider driving it down to be a better option. When I bought my pre-owned car, it was in Pune. The previous owner was working in Bangalore, had to go abroad for long term; for some reason he drove down the car to Pune (his hometown) and left the car there. And it was very difficult to sell a KA registered car in Pune! (good for me). I got to know of this through a mutual friend, took a bus to Pune, bought the car and drove down to Bangalore.

Ofcourse, driving such a long distance can be risky too, but if you take enough precautions, take enough rest and don't do it in a hurry, it is a nice long enjoyable drive.
Old 3rd April 2013, 23:40   #19
BHPian

Thanks for sharing rather unfortunate event. Hope your case gets settled soon.

I also transported my Skoda from Punjab to Chennai in 2011. I took a Transit Insurance , which was somewhere around 6000 Rs. The transporter told me that if anything happens to car during loading,unloading etc will be covered by the Transit Insurance. Rest all damages like accident, flood , fire will be covered by vehicle's insurance policy.

He bluntly gave me no guarantee on timely delivery and condition of vehicle.

I received the vehicle with all windows open, thick layer of dust and debris all over seats , floor mats and remains of peanuts and other food materials all over the interiors. It looked like the cleaner/driver were sleeping, eating and doing what not in the car while it was on the trailer. Luckily no scratches or body damages.

While relocating back to North, i chose to drive all the way back.
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

This requirement of additional marine insurance is just some scam. There is no connection to the case as your car was transported by road. Even if it was on water, the existing insurance cover should take care of everything.

All relocation providers are a hit or miss. If its your car, I would just drive it no matter how far in India. A colleagues Ford Fusion was booked for transportation from Bombay to Bangalore. You would obviously expect that they load up the car on a truck. In this case, the transporters drove the car to Bangalore and used it to haul stuff too. When my colleague received the car, the car was dusty on the inside and outside, there was trash inside the car, empty booze bottles and the transporter dismantled some data logging equipment for the trip/odometer so that the odometer does not register any use. They washed their hands off the case and my colleague ended up spending over Rs. 5000 to fix whatever it is the transporter removed from the cars electronics. In fact, they had the nerve to leave whatever it is they dismantled on the dashboard.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 11:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
I received the vehicle with all windows open, thick layer of dust and debris all over seats , floor mats and remains of peanuts and other food materials all over the interiors. It looked like the cleaner/driver were sleeping, eating and doing what not in the car while it was on the trailer. Luckily no scratches or body damages.

While relocating back to North, i chose to drive all the way back.
The description of the condition of your car when you received it gives me the jitters.

Did you find it easier or tougher driving it all the way back when compared with transporting it?
Old 4th April 2013, 11:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
I received the vehicle with all windows open, thick layer of dust and debris all over seats , floor mats and remains of peanuts and other food materials all over the interiors. It looked like the cleaner/driver were sleeping, eating and doing what not in the car while it was on the trailer.
A clear sign that the car was driven down and not put on a truck. You are very lucky that there was no damage to the car. What was the odometer reading when you received the car? Unless these chaps knew how to fiddle with the odometer so it will not register the miles.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

A clear sign that the car was driven down and not put on a truck. You are very lucky that there was no damage to the car. What was the odometer reading when you received the car? Unless these chaps knew how to fiddle with the odometer so it will not register the miles.
It was not driven down for sure. The dust on exterior and spider webs in the wheel wells and wipers were tell take signs that car was parked in trailer for over 10 days. Moreover I don't think they will bear the cost of driving a petrol car on 2800 km trip or qualified enough to rig odometer of cars like Skoda Laura without error codes.

But they did abuse it while it was parked. Also used air conditioner and listened to FM.
Odometer difference was around 35 km. I was told about it in advance as they unload the vehicle somewhere outside Gurgaon and drive it to their warehouse where they load it on trailers going down south.
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 16:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

Did you find it easier or tougher driving it all the way back when compared with transporting it?
It was fun experience. It is definitely expensive means especially if you have petrol car. Also don't forget the toll charges which were around 2000 rs. But absolutely worth it. You get to experience some excellent highways of India plus variety of authentic cuisine

I had my brother as additional driver. But we drove almost non stop with just 6 hrs sleep break at Mumbai - Gujarat border.

I would never give my business to any movers and packers for transporting my car and would always prefer self driving.
Old 5th April 2013, 16:05   #25
BHPian

Guys on a side note, I am a novice on inter state driving, so wanted to know if we drive inter state in our own car what are the documents required apart from DL and Registration.
Old 5th April 2013, 17:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Malyaj,

Sad to see the state of your car and condolences to the family of deceased.
Enjoy your new wagon r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Guys on a side note, I am a novice on inter state driving, so wanted to know if we drive inter state in our own car what are the documents required apart from DL and Registration.
You need to carry insurance copy and an emission certificate.
Old 6th April 2013, 01:33   #27
BHPian

Reading this thread made me decide that there is never, ever, any chance of me handing over my car to a transporter. I will drive down to wherever I have to take it.
It will make for a good travelogue too.

Thanks for sharing your story Malyaj.
Old 15th September 2017, 17:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Transit damages

An interesting article:

A Unique Case of Vehicle Damage whilst Transporting a Car by Truck! Lessons learnt...-new-picture.jpg
SOURCE: https://automotivelogistics.media/in...ng-cover-bases

Regards-Sonu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks